• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Open The Region of Magnol (Discussion)

@Hogzilla No rush. Take your time.

I've put in a request in the creative corner to get some assistance with some sprite visuals for the rp. However, it's pretty dead in there. If anyone knows a digital artist who'd be willing to help us out with even just a few sprites, please give me their information.

I'd like to know if it's okay for pokemon to start evolving or learning new moves at these stages of the RP. I am almost finished with my post but I don't want to rush things.

Hey! I'm very interested in this, I just have to finish my character. I'm going to school and cant' finish him at home so I'll post it right now, but remember it isn't finished.

Name - Coletrane “Cole” Black

Gender - M

Age - 16

Appearance

Hair- Curly, Very short

Hair Color- Dirty Blonde

Skin Tone- A slight tan

Eye Color- Blue, with a slight green ring in the middle of the Iris.

Build- Broad shoulders, very defined muscles but not necessarily massive.

Height- 5’10”

Weight- 160 lbs

Clothing- When it is warm, Cole wears khaki shorts and a black t-shirt. The t-shirt has a lightning bolt running from the collar to the left chest area. When it gets colder, he wears jeans that aren't skinny but aren't baggy. They fit somewhat snug around the thighs and they touch the calves at all times, but they don't fit skin tight. He wears the same t-shirt under a white jacket. On the left side of the jacket a gold lightning bolt with a black outline runs down from top to bottom, with other bolts branching off of it. He does own sunglasses but he rarely wears them.

Personality - Cole is fiercely loyal to those he trusts, but good luck getting him to open up too much. He'll travel with others, but only because it will make it easier on him, until he begins to trust them. If something happens and he thinks he can benefit from it, he'll do it. However, he's a man of his word and will do what he says he'll do. He's not afraid of a bet or dare either.. He will help people out, but he won't be the first to suggest it.. He can be smug and cocky at times. He's got a high tolerance for annoying, rude, hateful, negative, etc. people, but when they reach that tolerance he will have an outburst. He'll flirt with anything under the sun, but he doesn't really care about romance. He is generally curious and he wants to explore as much as possible.

Backstory - Cole's life, in between his birth and coming to Magnol, was extremely uneventful. He was born early in Cianwood City, but he was then rushed to the nearest doctor because he wasn't getting enough air in his lungs. They made it to the port of Olivine City before he lost consciousness. His heart had stopped. Thankfully, by pure luck the Ampharos that worked the lighthouse was nearby. A few jolts of electricity and he was breathing again. From then on, any chance he got, even as a small child, he wanted to visit the lighthouse. As he grew, he became an unofficial caretaker of the Ampharos that worked there.

His parents were 20 and 21 respectively, but they were married. His mom was a worker at the Cianwood Safari Zone while his dad was the local merchant, taking shipments from Cianwood to Olivine and back, while trading some odds and ends that he found. When Cole wasn’t at school or working as the Ampharos’s caretaker, he was helping his dad on the docks or sailing. He learned how to sail, but he never particularly enjoyed it. He's got experience with many different pokemon, from working in the lighthouse, to sailing, to going to the Safari Zone. The Safari Zone was truly his inspiration as a trainer; he saw the different types of pokemon in the one area and wondered what it was like elsewhere.

Because of his activity at the lighthouse, it was common for he and Jasmine, the eventual Olivine gym leader, to sit and watch the Ampharos together. They got along well, but for many years Jasmine saw him as a kid. He developed somewhat of a crush but she was a few too many years older than him. He did start going to her gym to watch the battles unfold, and sometimes he would borrow some of her gym trainer's pokemon to battle against her. She was one of the reasons that he became so enthralled with battling.
When he was in Cianwood, which was where he lived in the summer and holidays due to his school being in Olivine, he would train with the gym trainers in the Cianwood gym. He adopted the waterfall training that they used, but he also found that he preferred training to define himself, rather than gain mass. Now, any time he has a chance, he'll hop under a waterfall and work himself physically while also taking the pounding that the waterfall can offer.
Right as he turned 16 and was preparing to start his pokemon journey, the current Ampharos he was working with was bred, just for him. He was given the egg, and within a few weeks, Cole had his very own Mareep, right in time for his chance to travel to a new region: Magnol. He was also given a pokedex from Professor Elm, so that he may be able to chronicle any new pokemon that he meets.

Region of Birth - Johto

Likes - Collecting pokemon, exploring, Training

Dislikes - Being lazy, fighting/arguing with others, lying/double crossing

Pokémon

Species - Mareep

Nickname - Volts

Gender - Male

Nature/Personality - Fierce and electrifying, Mareep is a battler at heart and will challenge pokemon that he really shouldn't. Gets frustrated easily.

Brief Backstory - Given to Cole as an egg for his journey; still extremely young. It's parent Ampharos learned Iron Tail from a move tutor, and it was luckily passed down, but it cannot use the move completely yet.

Known Moves -
Iron Tail(Egg move)
Tackle
Thunder Wave

Other - N/A

I'll be working on it in bits at school, I'll be sure to let you know when it is done.

Last edited:
So I have a question; What time frame are the events of this region taking place? Are they at the same time as the other main series games, are they right after, or are they many years later? I'll skip my backstory for now and work on the other parts, but that could affect it.

@PocketMonsterHunter I figured it was a water pulse, but I appreciate the clarification. Make sure you write a little about Froakie's mastery of it in future posts. It will get more developed and stronger with practice.

@Rykenftw I want this region to be fairly independent of the main games' storyline. I did not intend for it to be in the distant past or future. The other games have already happened, with Sword and Shield occurring at the same time I suppose. I won't really reference the other games.

@Rykenftw I want this region to be fairly independent of the main games' storyline. I did not intend for it to be in the distant past or future. The other games have already happened, with Sword and Shield occurring at the same time I suppose. I won't really reference the other games.
Well My backstory had planned for him to have a near death experience as a baby and have the Ampharos form the Olivine lighthouse revive him as you might be able to tell, and then later on get one of it’s children, so I wanted to make sure that the timelines fit so that it wouldn’t seem like the ampharos is like 30 something years old or something. But I don’t even know the life expectancy for Pokemon so what do you think?

Well My backstory had planned for him to have a near death experience as a baby and have the Ampharos form the Olivine lighthouse revive him as you might be able to tell, and then later on get one of it’s children, so I wanted to make sure that the timelines fit so that it wouldn’t seem like the ampharos is like 30 something years old or something. But I don’t even know the life expectancy for Pokemon so what do you think?

Ampharos is a common lighthouse Pokémon, so regardless if it's the same individual, this encounter is acceptable. There's an Ampharos in the Luxport grand lighthouse in Magnol. Just try not to over saturate your Backstory with too much misfortune so we don't tread in Mary Sue waters.

Ampharos is a common lighthouse Pokémon, so regardless if it's the same individual, this encounter is acceptable. There's an Ampharos in the Luxport grand lighthouse in Magnol. Just try not to over saturate your Backstory with too much misfortune so we don't tread in Mary Sue waters.
Sounds good, and don't worry, the beginning will pretty much be the only misfortune in his life.

And It's done, let me know what you think! Willing to change anything that I must.

Last edited:
@Rykenftw Your bio is acceptable, so therefore welcome to the RP! However, it would really help me in future posts if you added a bit more about your life such as your parents and upbringing. 16 years is a long time for someone's life to be uneventful. I don't feel like I know much more about you than you were sickly and worked at a lighthouse because you love Ampharos. Are you familiar with ships and sailing? Is there a reason you were named Coletrane? Do you have any significant mentors or friends that have influenced you?

You can post your introduction at your convenience. You'll enter the region by ship via the S.S. Shellanna in Luxport or by plane via Tailwind Airlines in Sonax City. If you choose ship, you will be a day behind Hogzilla, as he has already spent two days and one night in Magnol.
-----------------------

Next update is underway. Should be completed today at some point. I'm not going to compromise detail for quantity, so I may have to close the RP after another good participant joins to keep from overwhelming myself and slowing our progress.

@Rykenftw Your bio is acceptable, so therefore welcome to the RP! However, it would really help me in future posts if you added a bit more about your life such as your parents and upbringing. 16 years is a long time for someone's life to be uneventful. I don't feel like I know much more about you than you were sickly and worked at a lighthouse because you love Ampharos. Are you familiar with ships and sailing? Is there a reason you were named Coletrane? Do you have any significant mentors or friends that have influenced you?

Thanks! I updated my backstory with a few more paragraphs. I'll start working on my first post now. I look forward to this!

Edit: Also, what's the best way to start out? I know you said that if I arrived by boat, I'd be a few days behind Micheal. Should my character just arrive on say, a second boat, or the same boat just a few days later?

Thanks! I updated my backstory with a few more paragraphs. I'll start working on my first post now. I look forward to this!

Edit: Also, what's the best way to start out? I know you said that if I arrived by boat, I'd be a few days behind Micheal. Should my character just arrive on say, a second boat, or the same boat just a few days later?

The Shellanna is the only interregional passenger ship, and stays docked for a week at a time. You'd only need to account for 1 1/2 days IF you wanted to catch up to the other rpers. It's not mandatory.

Your backstory looks much better. Just remember that iron tail will be weaker at first on a newly hatched mareep, but the steel typing synergizes well with your gym influence.

Last edited:
@Rykenftw Your post was very good. I have a few questions while I'm working on my response. Were you held in the brig overnight? If so, at what time were you released by the ship authorities? Does Volts have a history of anger issues?

Also, please remember to add your summary at the bottom of each post. The information was in your text, but the summary helps me when I have to go back through older posts. The city is called Luxport, not Luxburg, by the way. Not a huge deal. Just for future reference. I'm thankful to have your participation.

@Rykenftw Your post was very good. I have a few questions while I'm working on my response. Were you held in the brig overnight? If so, at what time were you released by the ship authorities? Does Volts have a history of anger issues?

Also, please remember to add your summary at the bottom of each post. The information was in your text, but the summary helps me when I have to go back through older posts. The city is called Luxport, not Luxburg, by the way. Not a huge deal. Just for future reference. I'm thankful to have your participation.

Yes, he was in the brig overnight. He was in there from the second to last day of the voyage until midday of the second day it was docked; If I did my math right that'd be about where everyone else is. My bad on not putting the summary, I'll edit that now. Volts hasn't really been alive for too long, only a few months, but yes, he will be prone to those outbursts in the future.

My sincere apologies for the weekend wait. Tornadoes had much of my area in a mess, and I had some friends and family staying with me.

@Delta_Ace I know your information wasn't as expansive as the other participants, but you've got some options to consider before I can elaborate further. If you have another idea of some sort, I'm pretty easy to work with.

@PocketMonsterHunter The way we will handle your gym battle is fairly simple. You'll narrate your initial strategy and first couple of moves. You can minimally control Aubren's Salandit, but don't finish the battle with one post. She'll be using two Pokémon, so this will last a little bit. Don't be pressured to write too much. Get your point across, and I'll make a shorter response than usual to help speed things along.

Salandit knows Scratch, Poison Gas/Smog, Ember, Dragon Rage, and Venoshock.

@Hogzilla I know that was a lot, but fear not. Your creativity will not be limited. Handle things as you see fit. The grunts have one Pokémon apiece: a Goomy, a Vullaby, and a Magnolan Ekans (Poison/Water). Baptiste still has Golduck, Dawson has a Kingler and Sassafras has a Drifloon. The device is disassembled, so ghost Pokémon should behave normally. Feel free to pm me any questions.

Handle the grunts during your next post, and we will resolve the conflict with a fight with the lieutenant when he arrives.

Last edited:
@Clockwise Could I have some information on the species of pokemon available in the area and where to find them? A water type would help cover Mareep's weaknesses, but a ground type would be much more efficient for the first gym. Of course, he could also find both? Just some general knowledge of the land so that I somewhat know where to go.