• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Random PokePoll Topic (61): Still watch the Anime?

Straight out of Japan or dubbed - do you still watch Anime series?

• Yes, avidly

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Only occasionally or for specific episodes

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Not at all

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I only watch the movies

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Never watched it to begin with

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Done and Done! Another reason why I like Naetle is because it's final evolution has a miniature landscape on its back. ;D
*Spoiler*

Damn Naetle seems to be a bulbasaur knock-off in the anime too. First stage Grass starter? peacemaker between quarreling pokemon? Next thing we know Hikari will catch one with a strange marking on it. Bleah.

Au contrar, I saw a little bit of Jame's Victreebel/Maskippa in there. And it could be worse, Meangreen. Ash's Naetle could've had the same personality as Ash's Torkoal.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Heh... We've got a tie to break.

If someone hasn't already voted yet, do so. There were more votes for the last poll then this one, which is funny since everyone can relate to a "fave starter" poll XP

Again, if the poll closes on a tie, I'll reopen it with just the ones who tied for one day. Whoever comes out on top then gets the win.

EDIT: Annnnd Bulba ended up finishing with the most. New poll is up, so vote away.

I went with Squirtle... kinda for the same reason why I went for Bulbasaur, but also because I've always found Blastoise pretty nifty. I may like Swampert more for the type combo, but I'm a nostalgic sap. lol... Expect my Fire-starter vote to go for Charmander XD

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
I've gone for Mudkip, because I like Swampert more than any of the other final stage water starters. Blastoise and Feraligatr look faaaar too immobile, and I just don't like the penguin knight. =]

Second stages, tho, go to Croconaw.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
I've gone for pochama, because it's final evolution... Oh, c'mon, it's a blasted penguin KNIGHT! But seriously, I was torn between pochama and squirtle. >.

Well I voted for Pocchama because Hikari's cracked me up (a shame that the D/P anime episodes have been deleted from Youtube's queue) and because it evolves into an Emperor of the South Pole! Also, Empelt's unique Water/Steel type combo=awesome ;D!

P.S. I was pretty much torn between Pocchama and Totodile...

Hey, I have a good Idea for a random pole (after we get through with the "favorite starter" poles). Does a pole asking who your favorite rival character from the anime series sound good?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hey, I have a good Idea for a random pole (after we get through with the "favorite starter" poles). Does a pole asking who your favorite rival character from the anime series sound good?

Sounds fine, only there are a number of them now. Would you just want Ash's rivals (Gary, Morrison, Shinji... and Richie, if you'd count him) or May's as well?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
That could work, too.

Alrighty, so it's your poll: is Richie in or out? And if I missed any obvious rivals of Ash's, fill 'em in plz.

Whooo... Pochama is doing pretty good (better than I expected to be truthful, just as Totodile is doing worse than expected). This could be another close one ^^

Aww, where's the Mudkip love? Maybe I just have a thing for quadrupedal water types.

This seems to be a worrying trend. All my starter poll decisions seem to come down to locomotion, not looks or evolutions...

Looks like I'll be stumped by the fire starters. Damn bipeds. It's not like they rule the world or anything...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Aww, where's the Mudkip love? Maybe I just have a thing for quadrupedal water types.

This seems to be a worrying trend. All my starter poll decisions seem to come down to locomotion, not looks or evolutions...

Looks like I'll be stumped by the fire starters. Damn bipeds. It's not like they rule the world or anything...

Cyndaquil runs on four legs just as much as it does two (if not more often) ^^

And I can't say my choices are any better. No matter how good the evos are, or the type-combos, I go for the nostalgic vote :X
I can't help it. I still remember the first time I ever laid eyes on Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise and gawking at their sheer awesomeness. That was all it took. I loved them, and I was hooked. I know the majority of people find Venusaur fugly, but whatever fugliness it contains is completely squashed by my nostalgic feelings of first discovering Pokemon.

To be honest, the Shino starters are the first trio since first gen where I've liked all three lines by looks alone (at least by Sugi art looks - totally saved Penguin Knight for me). I still don't like the way Feraligatr looks, and the main reasons why I like Sceptile and Swampert now are due to ingame use or the Anime ('cause Ash's Sceptile ownz).

Uh... yeah.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
I voted Totodile. How can you not love it and it's excessive urge to dance?

But weren't Tyson and Harrison just in one of the leagues? I know they acted all "I will beat you so HAH"-ish to Ash, but they weren't recurring or anything...@_@

And I'd have voted Totodile, if it weren't for the fact that I liked Pochama juuuust a bit more. Plus, Cyndaquil was my first Johto starter, and even though I have fond memories of Totodile (as my rival's Pokemon), I still have this hope that Pochama-chan will 0wn.

Plus, dude, Pochama-chan. HOW FREAKIN' CUTE IS THAT? XD

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
But weren't Tyson and Harrison just in one of the leagues? I know they acted all "I will beat you so HAH"-ish to Ash, but they weren't recurring or anything...@_@

Neither of them were like that, actually. Both Tyson and Harrison were pretty nice guys. But, yeah, they only went head-to-head with Ash the one time, and there wasn't really a strong rivalry built up around them. At least in Morrison's case he and Ash were obvious rivals in everything they did together (even if it only was for a short time). Morrison is also MUCH more likely to make a return appearence than Tyson or Harrison are.

So yeah... I dunno if I'd class them as rivals either.

Well I'm sort of going with the listings that Joe Serebii has. He has: Drew, Gary, Harley, Harrison, Morrison, Richie, Saori, Shinji and Tyson under the list

[quote author=Sem link=topic=1240.msg8559#msg8559 date=1162226605]
I voted Totodile. How can you not love it and it's excessive urge to dance?
[/quote]

That's why I almost voted for the quacking crocodile. The reason why I didn't vote for Totodile was because its stats in the games didn't make it out as the powerful chomper that it was supposed to be; what with it's SP Attack power being lower than Attack power and that Bite and Crunch were considered Special Attacks in G/S/C, R/S/E, FR/LG and Col/XD due to being Dark-type moves. Oh sure, Bite and Crunch can be used on a Physical Sweeper set now because of the "Attack Nature" thing that's been introduced, but that's beside the point.¬_­­­­¬

Neither of them were like that, actually. Both Tyson and Harrison were pretty nice guys. But, yeah, they only went head-to-head with Ash the one time, and there wasn't really a strong rivalry built up around them. At least in Morrison's case he and Ash were obvious rivals in everything they did together (even if it only was for a short time). Morrison is also MUCH more likely to make a return appearence than Tyson or Harrison are.

So yeah... I dunno if I'd class them as rivals either.

...I WAS THINKING OF MORRISON! THE NAMES IN ENGLISH MESS ME UP! O_O;;;;;

And Drew, Harley, and (I think) Saori are all May's rivals, so would they be included?

I said that there should be two separate poles for Ash's Rivals and May's rivals.

BTW, another pole to keep in mind would be for favorite Evil Organizations.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Well, Squirtle won the last poll. I see a trend :O

I already stated above what I'd be voting for this time 'round, and nothing's changed since. I'd like to add, though, that even without the nostalgia vote, Charmander would still get mine. Charizard is one of my top favourite Pokemon and has been so for years.

Vote away, peeps.

I voted Hikozaru because it's final evolution looks awesome. And the way that Goukazaru is grinning in the official artwork the Sugimori made makes it look like that it knows how awesome it is! The Hikozaru that Shinji has makes a formidable foe and I kinda like Moukazaru's mask.

Torchic comes in second because the one May had was adorable and a brilliant comedy Pokemon to boot. The Pokedex info on Combusken mentions that it's call is very distracting. Boy, did Combusken's voice in the anime fit the bill (or should I say beak?), but in a good way. Blaziken is just about as awesome Mokazaru. Ash's Charizard squaring of with Harrison's Blaziken was one my favorite moments of the Silver Confrence.

Charmander comes in third because that it learns Metal Claw via level up. I also like Ash's Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard.

Cyndaquil is dead last because Ash's never evolved, it's too similar to its evolved forms and it doesn't gain a second type when Cyndaquil does evolve.

Cyn-da-quil. I shall say it again, for all of those who have not guessed which one I voted for. Cyn...da...QUILLLLLL! O_O

Okay, I voted for Cyn' 'cause of Gold version. I started with a Cyndaquil, and I have fond memories of it being my favorite-favorite-favorite starter ever (maybe it still is). I luv Johto, nya. ^_^

Second place would have to go to Charmander, cuz it's cute. Also, Charizard pwnz0rs. X3

Third place is Blaziken, cuz it's kinda cool, and it makes for a good starter for one of my minor characters.

Last place is Hikozaru. I have no idea what its evolutions look like, so this is going just off of Hikozaru. The monkey is kinda cool, but I've seen better. I'm not a die-hard monkey fan, either. I guess I'll just have to see how it turns out when I get Diamond and allow myself to look at all the Pokemon! ^_^;;

So yeah. Cyndaquil. GO HEAT!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Grrr! Why does the one from Generation I keep getting more votes!? >:(

Because we're all nostalgic fools? :O

El said anyone who voted based on nostalgia was "lame" but it's only because he wants Torchic to win, and we all know Charmander pwnz Torchic anyways ;)

That may be so, but Harrison's Blaziken pwned Ash's Charizard.

Anyway, when we do "Which of Ash's rivals is your favorite" I bettter not see Gary getting the most votes.

Go Charmander! Seriously I love charmander because it has the coolest looking evolved forms of any of the starters. That and Charizard is the only of the fire starters who looks cool. I still say Charizard should be Fire/Dragon though especially since Lance had one in G/S/C.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Topic degrading now. Please don't let that happen, guys ;p

I know it's all in fun, but incase someone actually did start taking these polls seriously... No bashing another person's vote. That goes without saying, but I said it anyways XP

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I never said hold anything against Charmander. I just like Hikozaru more.

My feelings about Torchic exactly ;)

I love Blaziken, just as I do Gokazaru and Typhie (tho Typhlosion is probably at the bottom), but it's Charizard. Charizard, which is still probably Ash's best Pokemon and a fan favourite (though Sceptile gives it a good run for its money) and completely overused in Role Play (seriously, everyone has a Charizard. It's just as bad as people with Pikachu XP). A lot of people simply love it (myself included) because it's a fire dragon of sorts, and that's two awesome combinations. Zard would've made a great Fire/Dragon type alright, but the reasoning for why it isn't is obvious. Dragons were seen as uber rare in first gen, and being about to get one via a starter would've been cheap (not to mention overpowered compared to Venusaur and Blastoise).

But actually, when this final poll comes about my vote won't go to Charmander (yes, I do admit it, I think Charmander's gonna win and always did). For that one, I'll personally be basing it on their first stages, and while Charmander is cute I've actually never considered it one of my faves (Charmeleon and Charizard I like much, much more). Bulbasaur on the other hand... If that wasn't in my latest top-ten list, I'm gonna kick myself.