• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Random Digi-Poll Topic/Digimon Discussion Thread

Favorite Season?

• Season 5 (Digimon Savers/Data Squad)

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Season 4 (Digimon Frontier)

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Season 3 (Digimon Tamers)

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Season 1 (Digimon Adventure)

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Season 2 (Digimon Adventure 02)

• Season 5 (Digimon Savers/Data Squad)

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Season 4 (Digimon Frontier)

• Season 3 (Digimon Tamers)

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Season 1 (Digimon Adventure)

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Season 2 (Digimon Adventure 02)

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I think Season 6 (Digimon XROS wars) has gotten quite a few Charmsians hyped about digimon again, and while we discuss it constantly in Chat, we can only get so much replies there. Hence, the grand opening of the Digimon discussion thread :3

This thread will be for discussing all aspects of the Digimon franchise, as well as hold a monthly poll regarding certain topics, much like the Random Pokepoll Topic. To prevent accumulating a slew of confusing conversations, for now, we'll mainly be discussing the poll's question.

So, Favorite Season? (note: not adding Season 6 to the poll since its only recently started its run and has far from reached a conclusion)

My favorite Season is 3, or Tamers. For starters, Takato was such a welcome departure from the last two goggle boys/leader figures. He wasn't the headstrong type that rushes boldly into danger or had a positive attitude for everything, and I liked that. Tamer's storyline was also a lot darker than the last two seasons, especially after they entered the digiworld and with the whole Beelzemon and D-Reaper affair. There was also some really nice development for each of the kids and their digimon, and their individual stories and tribulations didn't break the series' momentum. Lastly, the new lines introduced in Tamers were just awesome. Guilmon, Renamon and Beelzemon's lines being one of the neatest additions to Digimon (Although personally, Impmon can go drown in that digital cesspool he fell in :V)

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I've only seen 1 and 2, so I can't say if I like or dislike the others. XD But my favorite of the two has to be season 2, simply because I liked some of the new Digimon there more and because Ken made me go SQUEEEEEEEE for no really good reason ^^;

I've heard season 3 was the best out of all of them, though, from my rl friends. So I guess I'll just have to see XD

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Tamers is easily my top favorite, followed by Savers, Adventure 01, Frontier and Adventure 02, in that order.

Tamers was really amazing. It was also the only Digimon series that vaguely tried taking itself a bit more seriously - I loved the cast and the focus on the interaction between the humans and the Digimon. It also had a really amazing dub in comparison to the first two seasons and CERTAINLY the others. God damn were Frontier and Savers' dubs fucking awful. x-x

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Lolz. Spoilers? This post has hordes. Don't read if you don't want any from Tamers. :p

While I adore Savers (Data Squad? What's that? lol), Tamers easily gets my top vote, too. The order of my favourites would pretty much go the same way as Stel's, although after recently rewatching 02 (subbed this time because it's what was offered) I'd probably put it on par with Frontier. Daisuke and Iori are so much less annoying than Davis and ... I can't remember his dubbed name. x.X

But yeah... Tamers was fantastic from beginning to end. Starts off in our world with regular kids, no silly hats or gloves or shoes or whatnot. No gimmicks. Takato, Henry, and Rika are easily the least stereotyped main characters out of the entire Anime franchise. They feel more real, which fits with the premise of the show perfectly. The concept of it taking place in the real world and not some parallel fantasy world really grabbed me, because who hasn't written stories like that about their favourite things?

I love how the Digivolutions went in Tamers. We had our standard champion evolution - which in and of themselves were extremely meaningful - and our ultimate stages that could only be brought on through pure intentions. Then the biomerges... My god, the first time Takato and Guilmon biomerged I almost DIED of crazy giddy squeeing. It was the most awesome concept the series ever produced imo (although I really love the DigiSoul evolutions), especially because it was truly the hearts and souls of the Digimon and kids merging. Just a beautiful (and kickass) concept.

The plot... it had such a nice flow. I enjoy how there was always some foreshadowing before a new plot arc came about. Even the D-Reaper were subtly foreshadowed to as early as before they enter the Digital World. I really liked that about it. As much as I enjoyed season 1, it was too sharp with its plot transitions... and many of 02's plot lines I found bland. ^^; And yes, the tone of Tamer's plot is really enjoyable, too. Makes things a bit more meaningful than "We'll just Digivolve again and save the day!"

Lastly, the Digimon... Guilmon is love, hands down. Probably my favourite Digimon to date. Dubbed Terriermon was also a real character and I enjoyed him for it, and Renamon was a nice off-set for those two. All three of the main Digimon were given tons of character development which I really appreciated. Sometimes it felt like the Digimon in 01 & 02 were just kinda there. I can't say any of them hold my top favourite evolution lines, but Tamers was never really about the forms - it was about the meaning behind them.

Summed up, yeah. I like Tamers. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this feels awkward I have to say that Savers is my favorite season, followed by Tamers, and then by Frontier

Why? Well it was the 1st gen to not have goggles. While I don't complain about the goggles, I can safely say that if they were kinda a wierd trend, not only that, the animation was just amazing, and Damon Masaru has got to be my favorite char. yet. I mean, not dissing on the other gens, but all those little (I guess they were little?) kids run in fear of a giant fire breathing chicken, but what does Damon do? That's right! He punches it XD Plus his digimon is one of my favs (second only to Guilmon), Agumon :)

Season 3 was definitely my favorite ♥

Katie pretty much summoned up everything I loved about Tamers. The characters were really cool--Takato is easily my favorite of the goggle-heads. I really liked all of the digimon this time around--especially Guilmon who was too adorable for words. I loved how he kept his personality no matter what he digivolved into. Renamon had two of the best digivolution sequences in the history of digimon when she transformed into Taomon with the eclipse in the background and biomerged with Rika to form Sakuyamon. The storyline was definitely better than the previous seasons. Sure it got kinda creepy with Jeri and her sock puppet, but hey XD

Season 4 was pretty good up until it became the Takuya and Koji show. The rest of the characters became pretty much useless until the very end. It was a shame too because I really would've loved to see Kazemon and Zephyrmon's fusion evolution. For whatever reason, Frontiers was the first season of digimon that I watched. It stands out because it had a fairly unique take on the series. I need to re-watch Season 1 again because I don't remember much about it. I do remember and incident of child abuse though ^^;

And as for season 2: Only one image can explain how I feel about it.

20080918_Picard_Facepalm.jpg

But really, season 2 was...not good. It had some of the most unlikeable characters ever. Davis was pretty annoying, TK and Kari were Mary Sues, Ken became fairly eh when he turned to the good side, and Cody was the worst. Seriously if he never said a word in the entire series I wouldn't care. I think I liked Ken better as the digimon emperor because he got some of the cheesiest, most hilarious lines in the dub. Wormmon, however, was awesome. It's strange that I barely remember the plot...

And did I mention that Ken kicked a puppy? XD Hopefully I'll get to see Season 5 soon ^^

Last edited by a moderator:

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
My favorite season was the first, Adventure 01, because you learn about the series through the chosen children or digidestined. Beware because I will get into spoiler territory... Now

Seven kids are at summer camp when all of a sudden they are whisked away into an alternate digital universe where they are greeted by friendly monsters who claim to have been waiting for them. The main characters are in the same boat as the viewers, they don't know what's going on and want to know more. The kids are then attacked by Kuwagamon and their new partners digivolve to their Rookie stages to protect them. From this point on, the kids are trying to figure out how and why they came to this strange island along with trying to find a way to get back home. All the wild they are constantly under attack by enemy Digimon who have been corrupted by these strange black gears. Slowly the kids begin to accept their fate as digidestined, realizing that the only way home is to stop the evil Digimon and save the Digital World. This leads to a lot of character development among the digidestined as they learn to work together as a team and matured as individuals.

The villains themselves ranged in personalities from the comedic, yet still very dangerous, Etemon and Piedmon to the murderously violent Devimon and Myotismon. Myotismon is especially notorious as he had the longest story arc of the season if I recall correctly. Not only did he lead an army to attack the real world to kill the eighth child Kari, he was also the third strongest ultimate level to appear in the series after Angewomon and MagnaAngemon. After his initial defeat he then went to digivolve to the first Mega level to appear in the series. The tenacious bastard even went so far as to appear as the final boss of Adventure 02, but I digress.

While I like the other seasons, Adventure 01 takes the throne with Tamers being second, followed by Savers, Adventure 02, and Frontier. Frontier was ridiculous if you ask me. There were no Digimon partners plus Takuya and Koji were show stealers. I actually don't know how that season ends because I lost interest. I loved the Digimon Emperor arc in the second season, but it seemed to lose momentum after that. Savers was awesome and the only thing stopping it from ranking higher than third place is what I stated above for the first season and what I'm about to say for Tamers. Tamers was dark! No Digiegg reincarnation for you, you stay dead! Poor, poor Jeri. Oh Carmen, when you said Guilmon keeps his personality in every digivolution, surely you must have remembered Megidramon. A monster so terrible that the very fabric of the Digital World was tearing apart so badly its effects could be felt in the real world. To top everything of; the Devas were a pretty brutal force to be reconed with, Beelzemon was one badass mother frecker, and the D-reaper was nightmare fuel.

Oh look, I'm rambling again... *ziiiip!* :-X

Psycho Monkey said:
Oh Carmen, when you said Guilmon keeps his personality in every digivolution, surely you must have remembered Megidramon. A monster so terrible that the very fabric of the Digital World was tearing apart so badly its effects could be felt in the real world.

How could I forget? <<

I just didn't count it XD

Rx summed up what I thought of Tamers. Darker, more realistic than the previous horror session that was 02. My rankings are Tamers, closely folowed by 01 and trailmoning behind is 02. I haven't watched frontier and I only watched one ep of Savers. Infact I haven't finished watching Tamers yet.
*goes to tamers playlist*

I watched some of the first season of Digimon when I was a child but for some unknown reason earlier this year I watched the whole of the Digimon season one and two and the movie, It was good because it brought back childhood memories and because it was quite funny (especially with season two and Davis xD)

Yeah but season one is my favourite just because its the origional one.

I didnt watch the other seasons because everyone knows whats going to happen at the end of the day, its revealed at the end of season 2 (which has the worst ending ever by the way) plus, other youtubers said the seasons got worse and worse, so I just didnt watch them, also there were gunna be new characters and to be honest I love the old ones too much for them to be replaced with new ones ♥

I felt like the first series just had a pure energy to it and vibrance but not to the extent that it made me question the sincerity of the project. Yes all the characters had weird gloves, but gloves are added color. The early episodes didn't have some omnipresent danger so the characters were free to define themselves. Then when stuff has escalated into reality, the show has everybody running and digimon passing each other in the street and then they put the show on hold for stuff like "Izzy you're adopted" or "Sora you resent your parents." or "Joe we like your cool brother more than you." to explain why the characters act the way they are. Also Matt and Tai were totally gay. This is a fact, if you deny it you are a huge liar to both me and yourself.

Marching fishes!

Tamers had a lot of great ideas but I don't think it lived up to it's own potential. Like Wingus and Dingus who felt like they were upgraded from extras to main characters at the last moment but still not in time for them to actually do anything but steal time from The Ruki Show. Boring Juri was like a cypher custom built for her inevitable story which just went forward in the usual way.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
So... I finally moved it. XD

I think this topic is worthy of being here. It's jam-packed with good discussion, after all! I'm eager to see what the next poll question will be. :3