• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The PS3

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
It's not often we report on Sony news here but you can't really avoid this - especially with its implications for Nintendo. In a Japanese Press Conference held last night especially for the PS3, Ken Kutaragi announced the delay of the PS3, originally set to launch in Japan in Spring, and the fact that it will now be launching simultaneously worldwide this November.

Unfortunately, any price-points have still been left unanswered but Sony did confirm that the 60GB HardDrive will be a requirement of the system and so you're unlikely to see any cheaper 'Core' systems. Which wouldn't necessarily be any serious competition to the Xbox 360 but considering you'd be lucky to find anything other than a Core system at the moment it does weigh in slightly positively for Sony in that respect. As does the full backwards compatability of PS2 and PS1 titles, unlike the 360's patching system for specific games.

Of course, we've been here before. The Playstation Portable was announced to be released worldwide at the end of 2004 but didn't see American shores until Spring 2005 nor European shelves until 9 months later last September.

It's clear that they're trying to take on Microsoft at their game of getting out worldwide simultaneously and best of luck to them to actually get it done without the train-wreck that became the 360 launch.

The most important thing about this is that it leaves Nintendo alone with no release schedule and even worse, with the possibility of a standard staggered release that could leave Europeans without a Revolution until 2007.

Certainly, considering the cheaper nature of the Revolution, it should be a lot easier for Nintendo to acheive a simultaneous worldwide launch but even if they do, the last reports for an approximate launch date anywhere for the system put them at November too. Going head-to-head with the PS3 could well ruin the Revolution before it even gets started.

We're unlikely to see or hear anything about the Revolution dates or launch plans until E3 in 2 months time, but if we're lucky we might get some clues at least from next week's GDC.

In other Sony news I now have a reason to KEEP my Playstation Portable. For one thing, the price is going down next week so i'll get less money for it if I sell it off. For another thing there's a slew of interesting updates coming for it, not least of all including the ability to play Macromedia Flash animations on the Web Browser (which may or may not be available on the Opera DS browser) and a downloadable back-catalogue of PS1 games to download directly to your memory stick.

Also coming the PSPs way is a GPS system with a new Everybody's Golf title set to be one of the launch titles for the GPS peripheral... somehow. And an EyeToy specially made for the PSP and released in September that will not only be used in an EyeToy game coming up for the system but for a video chat system, while free video and voice-over-IP services will appear in October.

The games downloading intrigues me muchly. If they can put a copy of Tomb Raider 2 or Grand Theft Auto or even the original Spyro in my PSP I will finally have games worth playing on the little black brick. It's a genius notion considering how void of actual playable games the PSP library actually is but does help show up the fact that on one hand you have downloadable OLD PS1 games and on the other you have PS2 ports you have to go out and buy, (Although no doubt that like the Nintendo Back-Catalogue system, you'll have to pay a small fee to download too) with actual fresh, new and PSP exclusive titles numbering about as many as you can count with your fingers and toes, if that much.

So it's lie in wait time again. Lie in wait to see what the PS3 manages to do this November and what it offers in games. Lie in wait to see how the PSP downloads work out and lie in wait to see, most importantly really, what Nintendo does now that the spotlight is firmly fixed on them to say their piece at last.

Discuss. ^^

The best is always left for last, as they say. I must say, I'm surprised to hear that Sony is aiming for such an early release. I expected such a release date in Japan, but I wouldn't have thought it would make it out anywhere else before at least next spring.

It'll provide some competition for the Revolution, sure, but if the price isn't lowered from its rumoured $900 CAD, I wouldn't even look at it. I bought a PS2 because it was cheap and now, at the end of its life, it's got a small selection of worthwhile titles. Why buy a PS3 for what will be a meager selection of good games for a few years when I can get the games I want now on a system that's a third the cost? I'll hold off on the PS3 for a few years until it gets at least past the $200 mark.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
It'll provide some competition for the Revolution, sure, but if the price isn't lowered from its rumoured $900 CAD, I wouldn't even look at it. I bought a PS2 because it was cheap and now, at the end of its life, it's got a small selection of worthwhile titles. Why buy a PS3 for what will be a meager selection of good games for a few years when I can get the games I want now on a system that's a third the cost? I'll hold off on the PS3 for a few years until it gets at least past the $200 mark.

Pretty much agree in every way. If the final price of PS3 ends up being even close to the rumors, a lot of gamers won't be able to get it right away. It's one thing for parents to buy their children a $300-400 console for Christmas, but how many of them are going to buy one at double the price? Even teenagers and young adults who do have the money are going to be struggling to pay for a beast like that. Then there's the games...

But I've ranted about that before, and I'm hopeful that these rumored prices are much higher than they will be. If the rumors end up being true... *shrugs* no PS3 for me for probably two years then, or at least until it drops below $400. There's always the chance that I'll miss out on certain PS3 games, but I'd rather take that risk than buy something I can't afford.

Now, about Rev. I'm not going to worry about the competition from PS3 because, in the end, if Rev can't even survive something like that it's probably not going to. As I said on the E3 topic, Nintendo needs to show us how Rev is going to survive against PS3 and 360, especially in the case that either of them decide to use a few of the same aspects as Rev (which, surprise there, PSP is already attempting). If you truly believe Rev is in a class of its own then there's nothing to worry about, but by this point most of us realize that's never 100% true. Even if Rev will be different, it's still a gaming console. It has to do something to make sure people buy its games first and the others second, may it be for the price, content, or both (hopefully both).

And I'm just rambling here... The PSP downloable thing sounds interesting, but there really aren't that many Playstation games I'm interested in that I don't already own. None that I'd pay for anyways. Even if they were only $10 a download, that's $10 I could be spending on a new DS game or something used for PS2/Cube (something I actually want). But still... at least it's giving PSP owners something to fill the void of average games. Someday down the road I may finally get a PSP of my own, but that day is still far off.

About why I wouldn't download Playstation games... You can say the same for Nintendo's downloadable catalogue really (why buy an old game when you can get something new?), but my SNES doesn't really work anymore and I don't even know where the cords for my NES are. Then there's the fact that there are MANY SNES games that I'm interested in, as well as a few choice N64/NES titles (ones that I do and don't own) ^^