• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed The Pruie Region

"Well open up another one you bastard," Luke growled, "Cuz I'm going in. And you are too. And we're not coming out until we rescue Ursa, and all of the other people who were sucked in. But this time, we open the black hole where it can't harm anyone."
"Hak?" Doragon asked.
"You stay here with Caesar, and make sure that Darcia and Calliope do anything. Horus, you're with me."
Luke turned to glare at Soren.
"Now where are we going to open the black hole?"

"I'm coming too," Raina said after kicking Darcia.
"I guess this isn't my business, but still..." She muttered.
She looked to see all her Pokemon except Aria.

"Aria!" She yelled, and found her on a heap.

Her wing was torn.

"What the fuck!" Raina yelled.
"Who did this to you?" Raina asked/yelled.
Aria pointed to a Grimer.

"Okay, I'm definitely coming now..." she muttered, returning all her Pokemon.

"Um... The creepy-ass town we went through? Yeah, like that's smart! And thanks to you my only flying type is disabled!" She yelled as Soren flew away on an America bird.

Raina suddenly got an idea. There were several Spearow around. Raina lobbed an Ultra Ball, trying to catch one mid-air. Unfortunately, she missed. She tried again. Miss. Finally, she used her last ball, and caught it.

"Here. Eat this CD of Justin Bibareal. After that you'll be able to fly!" Raina told him happily. The bird Pokemon happily ate it.
"Go to Enigma Town!" She hung onto the tail, following Braviary.

Angel let out a sigh as she landed in front of the Zephyr City Gym Leader. "You're freaking crazy, you know that?!" Angel half-shouted at the gym leader. She gave her newly-evolved Flygon a rub along her neck. "Thanks, girl." She praised.
"Gon!" Tempest responded warmly. During the parkour session that Skylar made Angel go through, she almost fell into the lava. Luckily, Tempest evolved into Flygon and managed to save her.
"That's deserving of a rest. Return, Tempest." Angel stated, returning the Flygon. The battle was about to begin. Skylar sent out a Skarmory. Angel reached into her new jacket and took out Kitsune's Pokeball. "Kitsune, open up with Flamethrower!" Angel ordered. Skarmory charged Kitsune with Steel Wing. However, the Flamethrower made short work of the Steel-Type bird. Angel picked up her phone when she received a message. It was from Soren.
"Hey, haven't heard from you in a while... I got pushed into this Team Shadow thing, and they wanted me to be the leader of their team. I said no, but they said they'd kill me if I didn't... and now my friends are after me. Luke and Raina. Hey, I'm sorry you have to hear about this now, because——." The message cut off. That was worrying. Angel retrieved Kitsune as Skylar sent out her next Pokemon, Staraptor. Angel sent out Panzer. Panzer let out a roar as Angel gave her next command.

"Use Stone Edge." She instructed. Panzer used the attack. Angel brought her attention back to her phone. the Team Shadow bit worried her a bit. She decided to text him. "Where are you headed now? I can fly over there on my Flygon immediately." Angel texted. She sent the text. Angel looked back at the battle to see Panzer over the knocked out Staraptor. Next was a Braviary. Angel retrieved Panzer and sent out Poseidon. The Braviary used Brave Bird, which did far too much damage to Poseidon than Angel liked. Poseidon managed to get an Ice Fang off, but he was hit with an Aerial Ace. Poseidon looked like he was about to go down. Before that could happen, Poseidon was enveloped in a white glow. The Water-Type got larger.
"No! Not this again!" Skylar complained. Not long after, the white light faded to reveal a Feraligatr standing tall. The Water-Type punched a fist into his open palm and gave a toothy grin.
"Alright! We got this now! You know what I think you know now, Poseidon?" Angel inquired. Poseidon nodded.
"Brave Bird!" Skylar ordered.
"Hydro Pump!" Angel countered. As the Braviary attempted to attack Poseidon, the Ferligatr unleashed a large blast of Water that KO'd the Braviary. "Great job. All of you." Angel praised as she retrieved Poseidon. Angel was awarded her badge and left the Gym. She healed her Pokemon at the Pokemon Center then awaited a response from Soren.

Raina landed into the scene. She released the Spearow, then saw the black hole and wasted no time hopping in.

She felt dizzy as she seemed to swirl into nothingness. Eventually, Raina landed into some void of a shadowy black. Distorted things seemed to swirl around her, and small platforms floated everywhere.

"Woah." Raina was overwhelmed.
So much so, that she bent down, and puked. All the emotions.
"Raina set off on journey. Raina is weak. Raina is mugged. Raina is pissed. Raina battles Darcia. Raina's fight is cut off. Raina is stupid and enters another dimention. Raina dies now." She slurred in small sentences, lying on the rock. In the fetal position.

Raina was broken.

"Why the hell is it in Unown?" Angel muttered. Well, there was one of the advantages of being the daughter of Alec Hale: She was forced to learn multiple languages both written and spoken. For some reason, the ancient language of Unown letters was included among them. "About time I have something to thank you for, dad..." Angel muttered. She got to work trying to decipher them, They weren't too different from English in terms of letter appearances, so it wasn't too ridiculously hard. It was actually a rather easy process to decipher them. But it didn't make any sense. "The hell?" She murmured. After looking over the text for a few minutes, Angel finally realized the text was backwards. Angel sent a single sentence back to Soren. "I expect answers when I get there." After she sent the text, Angel dashed out of the Pokemon Center. She dug into her jacket, searching for Tempest's Pokeball. Once she found it, she sent out Tempest and hopped on the Dragon- and Ground-Type's back. "Get us to Enigma Town."

Luke stumbled into the black hole, with Horus close behind. Caesar and Doragon were still battling Darcia and Calliope. Luke saw Soren standing over Raina's unconscious body.
"WHAT DID YOU DO TO HER?" Luke boomed. But then, Luke began hearing voices.
"Luke set off on a journey. Luke is weak. Luke is-"
"N-No," Luke managed to whisper. The voices got louder.
"Luke is losing. Luke is no good."
"NO! I KNOW I AM GOOD!" Luke cried, tearing at his face.
"Luke can't even protect his own Pokemon. Aurus is dying. Ursa is gone."
"Stop! Please! Please stop!" Luke sobbed. Horus wrapped his wings around Luke, and cawed loudly. The voices ceased.
"Xat," Horus comforted, "Xatu."
Luke shakily got to his feet, and stared Soren straight in the eye.
"T-Tell me. W-What h-have y-y-y-you done t-to R-R-Raina?" Luke stuttered.

"Raina....bad..." She dipped her finger into the pool of blood that formed from a scraped knee and made a frowny face out of it.

Raina, unaware, leaned onto her Pokeball. Ink jumped out. She couldn't tell.
Ink used vine whip, sending the rest of her Pokemon out: Azuru, Aria, Toast.

Raina got the strength to stand up and spoke in a shaky voice.
"So you- so you tried to kill me, you-you joined an e-evil organization, and-and you- you crippled my Pokemon, and-and- Urs-Ursa has disappeared, just because-just because some hot chick told you to?" Raina looked up at Soren in disgust. Raina bandaged her arm slowly, with some Cherubi bandages.

Luke sucked in a deep breath. If Soren was telling the truth...
No. Either way, Soren was responsible for Ursa's disappearance. But maybe if they could find Ursa...
Then maybe, just maybe, Luke would come a bit closer to forgiving Soren.
"F-F-F-Fine," Luke shivered, "L-Let's just find-d-d U-U-Ursa."

"I don't think a half-assed apology is gonna change my mind. What's stopping him from-What's stopping him from lying?" Raina replied, putting all her Pokemon back but Ink.

Ink and Raina had grown closer, so things were better between the two.
"Just please wash off that eyeliner. It's smudging." She added, tossing a pack of makeup remover at him.

Somehow, Angel got a chill up her spine. She didn't know why, though. Was it because she was heading back to Enigma Town? That town had given her chills before. That was probably it, Angel reasoned. Finally, Tempest slowed down her pace and began to descend to Enigma Town. As soon as the Flygon landed Angel retrieved her. She then sent out Panzer and Poseidon. They were her muscle. She had to be safe, after all. If Soren was telling the truth about Team Shadow, then it was possible they'd send members to retrieve him.

"I-I-I st-still don't t-t-t-trust him," Luke said, "B-But I n-n-need Urs-s-s-sa back."
Horus the Xatu nodded. Horus wanted Ursa back as well. The entire team wanted Ursa back.

"Luke and Douchebag can go. My ankle is sprained, I won't be of much help." Raina told them, holding up her leg.

Raina stayed on the platform, looking at her surroundings.
"I think I'll name this the Distortion World. It's freaky!" She added, as random objects flew around.

Everything had happened rather quickly. One minute Angel had just been having a one-sided conversation with her Pokemon, and the next Soren dropped out of nowhere and hugged her. She would have returned the hug, but she was shocked and confused. After a moment, he passed her a note.
"I can't speak anymore." It read. Angel nodded slowly. "Alright, that's okay." She said quietly. "What about Luke and Raina? I haven't seen them."

Raina looked to see Soren had left.
"I don't know who to trust anymore." She quietly mumbled to Ink, testing her leg.
All around her was unfamiliar terrain; and sometimes, change was scary.

"S-Soren!" Luke yelled. He hated Soren for betraying him but... had Soren just died? Suddenly, the darkened version of Ursa roared. She had made it to the platform with Luke and Raina. But she was still angry. What had Luke expected. Had he expected that Ursa would simply be happy as soon as Luke got to her?
Nope.
Ursa charged at Luke and Raina.
"Go Horus!" Luke called, sending out Xatu.

Ink ran forward, taking a blow from Ursa.
Now the problem here is, Ink is a pile of leaves that weighs 16 pounds, and, well, Ursa is a gigantic bear that weighs 277, so a strong, insane bear charging at a sentient leaf, on an unstable platform, means that little leaf has no chance of surviving.
Ursa swiped at the Swadloon, knocking him off a platform, sending the poor thing fluttering down hopelessly.

Raina couldn't process what was happen, and she could only mutter,"Oh shit" before Ursa began running at the scared girl with every intention of injury.

Horus flew at Ursa, trying to protect Raina. But Ursa simply swatted him aside, and continued to barrel towards Raina.
"Ursa! No! Please!" Luke yelled. Ursa paid no heed to Luke. She was an entirely different beast now.

Raina didn't know what to do.
She quite literally saw her life flash before her eyes. Raina couldn't think straight, as the Ursaring barreled towards her.

All of a sudden, Raina had an idea. A stupid idea, but an idea nontheless.

Bracing herself for impact she rolled off the platform, free falling 10 feet where she would hopefully reach the platform.

"I already regret this," she muttered under her breath as she fell, eventually hitting the bottom.

'Okay Raina... Pick yourself up now...' Raina ordered herself, standing up, before falling, realizing she'd put pressure on her bad foot.

'Raina, you're an idiot... Stay put. I know you regret seeing that fortune teller, just do nothing.' Raina continued to think/talk to herself. Her vision was a bit fuzzy, her ankle was sprained, and she realized she'd scraped her arm on a rock.

But Raina was alive. And it would stay that way.

Ursa turned towards Luke. The only person left on the platform.
"C-come on Ursa," Luke pleaded, "I know y-y-you're better than this. Please."
"URSARING!"
Luke bowed his head, and awaited his imminent fate.

"Well, Luke's dead... At least I'm alive!" Raina said cheerfully.
Rain looked up to see Luke pleading, and if course, her brain thought of his family and a funeral and such.
"Goddammit brain... Well, here goes nothing! People For The Ethical Rights Of Pokemon, please don't sue me!" Raina threw a rock at Ursa, missing and hitting Luke.

"Sorry!" Raina yelled, throwing another and missing. She threw another. Miss. She threw another. This time, it hit Ursa in the back, so she threw more. And more.

Ursa turned, furious. Luke was on his rear, rubbing his head where Raina had hit him with a rock. But this was his chance. He got up, and tackled Ursa. Off of the platform. They fell. And fell. They missed the platform that Raina was, and continued plummeting. Into nothingness.
"Ursa," Luke said, "I'm sorry. S-sorry for how this all ended."
"Ur," Ursa said. Luke saw a smidge of the old Ursa in her eyes.
"XAAAAAAAAAA!" something cried out. Horus shot down towards Ursa and Luke. He grabbed Luke, and yanked him up onto the platform. Then, Horus flew back down to grab Ursa. Ursa was much heavier. He struggled to get Ursa back onto the platform. By the time they reached the platform, Horus was drained of all energy. He stumbled backwards, and fell off the platform. Ursa reached down, and snagged him. She dragged him back onto the platform, and laid him down next to Luke.
"Ursa, you saved Horus," Luke said.
"Ring," Ursa sighed. She put her head against Luke's. Ursa was back. But they were still in the Void.

Raina blinked, unable to process what'd just happened. She saw the 2 plumet down.

"Well, how am I suppose you get out now?!" She mumbled, sending out Aria.

"Al!" Aria cried out.

"Raina?" Luke called out into the darkness. Perhaps Raina was on a platform somewhere above them. Luke just wanted out of the Void, and he wanted to get out with his friend.

"Aria.. WHat do you think we should do?" Raina asked, before seeing Aria using some bandaids as a synthetic wing.
"Al!" She fluttered her wings, showing she could fly, albeit very slow.

Raina mounted Aria.
"Don't push yourself...." She warned, seeing the Pokemon pushing herself to fly up.
Raina saw a small hole leading into what looked like... a Pokecenter, and...
"It leads to Pflugervilla!" She groaned, but commanded Aria to fly to the hole anyways.

Aria pushed herself to the limit, until reaching the hole, that was slowly closing.
Raina dismounted, inside of Pflugervilla.
"Well, maybe we can fix up your wing..." Raina looked around, feeling slight nostalgia for this town.

Her shirt fluttered in the air.
Raina's hat was gone; as it had flown off long ago.

Her sage-green shirt was torn with blood stains on it, with several tears exposing her midriff.
Her shoes were falling apart, caked with mud.

Raina's mind was fuzzy ever since the incident. Her mind filled with guilt as she remembered Ink, her little bundle of leaves and sass.
Ink wasn't the strongest, but she sure as hell was a member of the team. That spot on the team belonged to Ink. No other Pokemon deserved to share that spot; Raina vowed to keep it open. Not a single Pokemon could replace Ink.

Ursa had been tugging on a rope, believing that Soren was on the other side. As it turned out, Soren was above. He had made it out of the Void! But Luke was still stuck with Ursa and a very weak Horus. Suddenly, he heard a loud ripping sound. A bright blue light flashed above their heads. Luke saw a black paw with one spike on it come through the blue light.
"Aurus?" Luke asked, bewildered. He held up Horus to the paw, and Horus was snatched into the blue light. Next was Ursa. Finally, Luke touched the paw. A surge of energy shot through him. It was, indeed, Aurus. Aurus pulled him into the blue light, and suddenly, Luke was no longer in the Void.
Luke was on the Aura Shrine. Aurus stood above him.

"Team Shadow? Yeah, I knew they would be behind this." Usually Raina was tentative when it came to forgiving, but this seemed pure. Soren looked saddened. His previous confident, edgy persona was gone. He was the shell of a human, sadness running through his eyes.

Soren's hair was normal, albeit messy, and his face was free of eyeliner. A new amicable spirit lingered as a new candle was lit. New beginnings formed. A single green leaf fell from a nearby tree. It was springtime, a time of rain and new starts. Their friendship was just another example of that.

"Yeah. But I think I'll continue the gym challenge. Not much else to do anyways." Raina sighed, slapping a lock of hair behind her.

"But I'm worn, so I'll probably check into a Pokècenter. " Raina began walking away, leaving Soren behind as the air around them seemed lighter.

Luke Branson looked up at the rusted, crooked sign on the steel building that read "Alum Island Gym". Red dirt was piled up around the door, as if it wasn't used very often. This wasn't a bad guess. Ever since the two black holes ravaged parts of Pruie three months ago, many gyms hadn't been visited. Most people were helping in reconstruction efforts. But Luke felt as if he needed to finish his journey. His dream of becoming a Champion was what brought him to Pruie. And being in Pruie was what had dragged him into this mess. If he didn't become Champion, then all of the mental strain and emotional trauma he had endured would have been for nothing. And he didn't simply owe it to himself. He owed it to his team.
Aurus the Lucario. Aurus had hatched from an egg when Luke was little, and grew up with him. When Luke was old enough to go on a journey, there was no question which family Pokemon would come with him. It was Riolu all the way. When Riolu evolved, through the bonds of friendship, Luke felt something more. An aura. And Aurus had always been by Luke's side. When not physically, he had been there in an aura. And he had saved Luke's life.
Caesar the Infernape. Caesar had always been a fun-loving Pokemon. From a rascally Chimchar into a confident Monferno. Then finally into an Infernape. When he evolved into Infernape, a certain maturity was instilled. Perhaps it was forced by circumstance. Caesar had to step up and be a leader when Aurus was at the Aura Shrine. Luke could always count on Caesar.
Horus the Xatu. Horus was always a special member on the team. He was caught as a Xatu, and could see glimpses of the future. It was he who warned Luke of Ursa's shadow form. And let Luke see images of victory that kept him going.
Doragon the Kommo-o. Doragon was caught as an adorable Jangmo-o, and raised into a powerful Kommo-o. His rally cry of "Kom! Kom! Kom-OOOOO!" always gave Luke courage.
Finally, Ursa the Ursaring. Ursa had begun as a small, innocent Teddiursa. She couldn't battle anything without being distracted by a Beautifly, and usually just acted as the team mascot. That all changed when she became Ursaring. She was a force to be reckoned with. A powerhouse. After Luke saw the vision in which she was a Shadow Pokemon, he became protective of her. But it was no use. She had become a Shadow Pokemon, thanks to Soren's villainous role on Team Shadow. Luckily, Luke's close, loving bond with Ursa brought back the old Ursa. But she retained her black fur, and silver ring.
All of the Pokemon held special places in Luke's heart and soul. He owed it to them, and himself, to finish what he started. And to do that, he needed to continue challenging gyms. The Alum Island Gym was the seventh out of eight gyms he would need to face. He walked in.
The gym leader, Acer, leaned against the back wall, which was rusting. He had straight, gray hair that came down to his eyes, and gray stubble on his chin. There was a smoldering cigarette in his mouth. He glanced up at Luke, and smirked.
"Kids still do the gym challenge, eh?" Acer grunted. Luke simply nodded. He took a Pokeball from off of his belt. Acer raised an eyebrow.
"What, you don't talk?" Acer asked, "You mute? Or just a fan of that Red kid?"
"I t-t-talk," Luke managed to say. His experience in the void left him with a permanent, yet minor, stutter.
"Good to know kid," Acer said, "So let's get down to business. You ready?"
Luke nodded again, and tossed up the Pokeball. Doragon popped out.
"Kom! Kom! Kom-OOOOO!"
Acer sent out Magnezone.
"Drag-gon Claw."
Luke uttered this order with virtually no emotion. It had been so long since Luke had battled, and most of the joy he had once known from battling had disappeared. Doragon noticed this, and was shaky when performing the attack. Acer was clicking a button multiple times, as if communicating with Magnezone in a strange language.
"-- .- --. -. . --.. --- -. . --..-- / ..- ... . / --.. .- .--. / -.-. .- -. -. --- -."
Morse Code. But Luke didn't understand Morse Code. Magnezone's magnets whirred, then Doragon was blasted with electricity. Zap Cannon. Doragon charged again with Dragon Claw, this time landing a hit.
A small bit of adrenaline coursed through Luke's veins.
"Doragon, use Dragon Tail," Luke said, slightly louder than his first order. Doragon grinned. He could feel Luke's old fighting spirit emerging. He leapt up, and swung his tail at Magnezone. A perfect hit. Magnezone crashed into the ground, then let out an electrical explosion. Doragon was thrown back, unconscious. And Magnezone was defeated as well. The excitement in Luke's eyes disappeared as he saw his crippled friend.
"R-R-R-Return Dor-r-ragon."
Acer silently recalled Magnezone, then sent out Scizor. Luke let out Horus without a sound. Horus struck a heroic pose, and cawed. Luke almost grinned. Almost.
Scizor and Horus brawled for the next few minutes. Every time Horus would land a good hit, Scizor would strike back twice as hard. Eventually, Scizor defeated Horus. Luke sent out Caesar next, who easily took out the Steel Type Scizor. However, when Acer sent out Aggron to combat Caesar, the going got tough. Aggron was aggressive to an extent Luke had never seen. He mopped the floor was Caesar.
"G-Go Ursa," Luke said, losing any hope of victory. The black and silver bear appeared. She had a long scar across her snout. She turned to give Luke a confident look. But Luke didn't think they would possibly win. Ursa fought bravely, and finally defeated Aggron with Hammer Arm.
"Go Metagross," Acer said. It was his first spoken words since the battle had begun. A massive Metagross shot towards Ursa, and blasted her back. It then spun over, whacking her with its arms. Ursa fainted.
"Come back-k-k Ursa," Luke sighed. It was over. He had lost. There was no way Aurus could take down Metagross. But he might as well try. As soon as Aurus exploded out of his Pokeball, a blue shock wave rippled through the room. The moment it touched Luke, his dull eyes brightened and his frown grew into a grin.
"Let's go Aur-r-rus!" Luke shouted, "Use Aura Sph-ph-phere!"
Aurus grinned, and created a massive blue orb. Larger than any aura sphere Luke had ever seen. As soon as Aurus released it, Luke realized the battle truly was over. But he had won.
Metagross was thrown through the back wall. There was no way Metagross could continue in the battle. Acer walked over to Luke, and silently placed the Dek Badge in his palm. Luke graciously accepted it, then gazed into Aurus's bright blue eyes. And Luke Branson smiled.

Raina stayed, huddled in her hotel room. After some good scrubbing off in the shower and a change of clothes, she was ready. Ink's original Poke Ball rested in her bag, hollow and lifeless. The green stripe on it to identify it was faded.

"What if this was all a stupid mistake? Is this a movie? Will I wake up and everything'll be peachy fucking keen?" She muttered. The events were painful.

She checked the calendar.
"September? But I started this journey in, like, April?" Raina paced the room, thinking.

"Oh, shit! My birthday!" Raina's birthday had and always would be in August. August 1st, at exactly 12:00 pm. The "lucky" baby.

Raina flopped on the bed. She'd always hated her birthday anyways. Needless attention, those scummy "friends" she had that forgot her birthday throughout their 5 year friendship, and the concept in general.

"Quil?" Toast scampered towards her.
Gently, she patted his head, carefully avoiding the flames. The memories lingered until she fell asleep, a quiet, dreamless slumber.

Caesar climbed to the top of one of the snow-covered evergreens, and peered through the blizzard. He couldn't see anything. Just a white sheet of snow slamming down from the sky in all directions. Caesar growled, and unleashed a massive burst of flames, searing through the fragile snowflakes. Still nothing.
"Infern!" Caesar called down to Luke, who was shivering in his thick winter coat that he had bought from a small store at the dock he had arrived at from Alum Island.
"Alr-r-right Caesar. Com-me on-n down," Luke said. The stutter was a combination of his mental and trauma and his state of near icicle.
Caesar hopped down from the tree, and grunted, upset.
"It's f-f-fine Caesar," Luke said, "We'll find-d-d another-r-r way. Come on out Horus-s-s."
Horus the Xatu flew out of his Pokeball, then immediately wrapped his wings around himself, cold. Luke looked into Horus's right eye. He could see a tall man with a steely beard glaring at him with cold, unforgiving gray eyes. Luke gulped. He didn't enjoy this image of the future. Plus, this didn't help them find their way out of the blizzard.
"Aurus-s-s, c-could you help-p-p-p out?" Luke asked, letting Aurus the Lucario out.
"Lucar..." Aurus said quietly, with his eyes closed. He stuck his palms out, and squeezed his eyes tighter. A blue pulse rippled through the air, and the snowfall slowed. After a few seconds, it resumed, and Aurus opened his eyes. He dashed off to his right. Luke, Horus, and Caesar rushed after him. After a few minutes, they could see small mounds of snow. Berg City. City wasn't necessarily the best term. There were only a few little igloos scattered about. Then there was a steel, cubic building.
"The Gym-m-m," Luke guessed. He marched towards it with his Pokemon. Suddenly, a hand clamped onto his shoulder. Luke turned, and saw a fist.
He blacked out.

Raina woke up from her dreamless sleep with a start. She had always been a light sleeper, from when her parents were arguing to her mother coming home after working insanely bad hours.

The knock at the door had her up and ready. Noticing a slip of paper, she hopped out of bed, reading the note.

"I'm going places.." Raina read, squinting in the dark. "Goddammit Shade, not everyone cares about where you go.." Raina grumbled, turning on a lamp.

Since she was already up, Raina kicked off her Buneary slippers and the oversized shirt she slept on and slipped into her worn-out vans. Raina also put on a blood red longsleeved shirt, tied a white jacket around her waist, and some dark gray leggings.

Raina realized after quite a few incidents that flannel wasn't too practical, so she didn't wear them too often anymore. Besides, she was gonna have to catch a new Pokemon to fly on. As much as she loved Aria, her Altaria, she knew it didn't have much time left.

After slathering on about 3 layers of 100 SP sunscreen on her pale skin and checking out of her room, Raina was ready.

Raina nervously walked to the nurse.
"How may I help you today?" The nurse asked. This nurse seemed different from the rest, with her bright blue hair standing out.

"I-I want to have my Altaria p-put down," Raina muttered, looking down.

The nurse looked sympathetic as Raina sent Aria out.

"You want some time alone?"

Raina nodded, and began to talk to Aria as the nurse left the room.

"I'm sorry, Aria, but I don't wanna see you suffer. Your wings will be infected, and-"
Aria crowed sadly, and the two hugged one last time.

The nurse took Aria to the back. Tears streamed down Raina's face. Aria never came back afterwards.

"Sorry for your loss. Would you like Aria to be buried anywhere?"

Raina nodded.
"Enigma Town."

The bluenette nurse gasped.
"Are you sure? Not anywhere sunshiney or anything?"

"Yes. I want-I want Enigma Town to be more than some spooky town. It's-more special than you'd think."

The nurse shrugged before going in the back. Raina ran out, into a nearby forest.

She wanted to replace Aria, but was it too soon?

"Aria would've wanted me to move onto my journey." Raina sighed before looking around.

Pidgeottos soar the skies. Spearow ran amok. But none suited Raina. Suddenly, the Pidgeottos landed. A dark shadow rose up, and the previous dark forest became lighter as the shadow rose.

"What the- It's-it's a murder of Murkrow!"

Raina was right. Many soared the skies beautifully. Most of them did, at least.

One unlucky Murkrow had a Poke ball toseed at him, and was now a new member of Raina's team.

Luke's eyes fluttered open. He felt something stale run from his nose, over his lips, and onto his chin. Blood. His wrists were bound behind him with some sort of chain. His entire right side ached. Suddenly, he heard a creaking noise, and bright white light flooded the dark concrete room he was in. There was a silhouette of a person in the rectangle of light.
Darcia.
"Hello Luke Branson," Darcia said in a seductive tone with a hint of menace.
"Darcia," Luke said, somehow managing to not stutter. Darcia strode over to Luke, and ran her long, red fingernails against Luke's cheek.
"Luke, Luke, Luke," Darcia said in a syrupy voice, "I'm going to enjoy drain your body of its soul. Turn you into the next Shade. After you took away Soren from us, I feel it's only fair."
"You b-bitch," Luke growled.
"Oh. L-L-Luke has a st-t-t-tutter," Darcia laughed.
An ear-piercing screech filled the air. Caesar.
"That damn monkey," Darcia growled, "Him and that stupid dragon stuck around to beat up on Calliope and I. It's time I killed them..."

Luke saw Shade fighting with Calliope, and an Arcanine shook Darcia in its jaws.
"Caesar!" Luke yelled, "Help me!"
In another room, Caesar's eyes widened. They burned brightly. He freed himself from his bonds, and rushed to Luke. He gripped the chain around Luke's wrists, and melted them. Luke got to his feet.
"It's too late!" Darcia screamed, kicking Arcanine away, "The Age of Shadows is here!"
With that, Aurus blasted Darcia across the room with an Aura Sphere.

Raina sent out the Murkrow, who was simply confused. The Murkrow's coal black feathers fluttered as he came close to Raina.
"Hey bud," Raina said softly.
Murkrow crowed happily and nuzzled her, happy as can be.

"Man, I thought you'd be more dark and edgy for a Murkrow. You're pretty cool. How does the name Bean sound?"

"Murk!" This most likely meant, "That's the worst name you could've chosen. Really?"

But Raina took it as a good thing. Toast slept in the bag as always. Azuru simply walked alongside her as Bean flew. The hole of losing Aria and Ink had been filled. Bean was a quick learner and soon Raina was soaring in the air, clutching the toe of a Murkrow.

The quartlet landed in Zephyr. A gym arch stood close. The arch said, "Flying Type Master Andromeda Kress" but the name "Skylar" and "Thaila" were faintly there, as if someone hastily painted "Andromeda Kress" over those names.

Raina sighed before walking in.
"Uh, hi. Um, I'm-I'm the new gym leader... You're my sec-no third battler. My last battler was about a month ago.." A nervous girl stuttered out. She adorned a simple blue, skimpy outfit she was clearly uncomfortable in. It had no back, and was sleeveless. It had a v neck that was certainly embarrassing, and the dress stopped at the thigh.

The gym was simple, with a large pool.. and was that a trampoline?

"Uh, you are the gym leader, right?" Raina raised an eyebrow.

Andromeda sighed.
"The gyms have been very bare. No one take's the challenge. They put me in this terrible outfit to get more visitors, but-" Her voice trailed off as she rubbed her shoulders nervously.

"Thalia, the old gym leader quit. Some chick named Skylar was here, but she was insane and the gym was full of lava. So, they hired me. I guess because I'm the cousin of this guy, Acer." Andromeda said nervously.

Luke scrambled to get into the vent. He to squirm up the wall to no avail. Caesar and Aurus were fending off attackers, but he couldn't hold his ground for much longer.
"Caesar-r! S-s-s-save the other-r-rs!"
Caesar nodded, and sprang over the grunts. He rushed into the room he had been kept in, and melted the bonds holding his friends captive. Aurus had managed to free himself, but Ursa, Horus, and Doragon were still there. When they entered the battle, it was too late. The Team Shadow grunts overwhelmed them.
"Let-t-t's go team!" Luke yelled. He called everyone but Horus back to their ball. Horus snatched up Luke in his talons, and they flew off. Then, Caesar popped out of his ball, and clung to Luke. He turned his head back to the small iron structure hidden in snow, and unleashed a flame thrower that began to melt it. The grunts would have enough time to escape, but the base would be ruined. Caesar smiled, and climbed back in his ball.

Raina and Andromeda fought. Raina took down about 2 of her Pokemon, and Andromeda took out 1 as well until Andromeda interrupted the battle.

"This is pointless. I'm just gonna give you the badge, not like these things are worth anything. I'm not a good battler anyways." Andromeda tossed a badge at her.

Raina shrugged before returning her Pokemon.
"Thanks, I guess. And hey, I hope gym battles become popular again so you can get out of this." Raina smiled before leaving. Andromeda sighed in relief and flopped on a beanbag chair.

After a quick heal at the Pokemon Center, Raina was ready to leave the barren town.
"I feel bad for her, don't you guys do too?"

All her Pokemon made various noises, agreeing with the redhead. Raina pet her Pokemon, being careful not to burn her hand on Toast.

When Horus and Luke landed back near the Berg City Gym, the citizens quickly huddled around him. Luke realized why his sides ached. There were long scars running down his body. Then, flashbacks of Darcia dragging a blade down Luke's side flooded his mind. He stumbled backwards, but was caught by a girl who looked to be his age. She handed him her coat, and took him back to her home with her parents. At the igloo, Luke asked for the date. August 5th. He had been captive for a few days.
"What is your name?" the girl asked.
"I'm-m Luk-k-k-ke Brans-s-s-s-son," Luke said, his teeth chattering.
"Nice to meet you Luke Branson. I'm Katia," the girl said. She had dark skin, and olive eyes. Her hair was brown, and tied in a braid down her back.
"Thanks for-r the c-c-c-coat Kat-t-tia."
Katia just smiled, and walked over to kneel down beside her mother to cook some broth for Luke. Luke closed his eyes, and drifted off to sleep.