• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Open The premier gym challenge!

Welcome one and all to a gym challenge not quite like any other, the premier gym challenge. To take part in this undertaking a trainer must first have already gained a minimum of 8 gym badges from any official Pokémon gym.

The reason for these rather strict entry restrictions is that the premier challenge is incredibly tough, comprised of only the toughest trainers from all around the world and unlike the usual "weakest to strongest" method employed by gyms each and every trainer in it is as tough as each other. That being said there is still an order in which you must face them, as usual. As a participating trainer you may use a set team of 6, no swapping allowed. There be plenty of chances to heal up your team in between battles though so dont worry about being worn down over time. The challenge takes place on a series of islands, one battle on each one. Each gym will have its own set of rules and present unique challenges to those who dare try and face them.

A little disclaimer- Only one person will be allowed to attempt this challenge at a time and it will be a rather streamlined process because of this. The purpose of this Rp is to create some epic Pokémon battles rather than a massive story arc. You may not succeed in defeating all the gyms, you may not even beat one. The outcome of the battle will be decided by all the gym leaders taking a vote on it, taking into account things such as your writing skill, team composition and ingenuity. Once you are defeated by a gym you will be kicked out of the challenge and somebody else will be allowed to attempt it.

Gyms
1. Camilla 'Cammy' Amberford, Normal type user. (Roleplayed by @Keybored
2. Frey, Ice type user. (Roleplayed by @Mr.Glaceon )
3. Sonya Welles, Bug type user. (Roleplayed by @Eis )
4. Daniel Jenkins, Ground type user. (Roleplayed by @Ry_Burst )
5. Shadara "Shade" Arcafiwhed Darastrix, Dark type user. (Roleplayed by @Pretty Pichu)
6. Mafi Lecent, Flying type user. (Roleplayed by @MegaAbsol)
7. ? a poison type user (Roleplayed by @Raptorvenator )
8. Niko Colaine, Steel type user. (Roleplayed by myself!)

Okay application process time, existing OC's are fine as long as their profile looks a little something like this.

Name:
Personality:
Appearance:
Backstory (Doesn't need to be too long if you dont want it to be.):
Pokémon team (We would love to see some interesting teams and because this is more anime style than anything feel free to bring lesser used Pokémon!):

If you wish to apply to be a gym leader just Pm me.

Rules:
1. No godmodding
2. Be reasonable when battling, dont dodge every attack simply because you can.
3. Just follow the Pokecharms rules in general.
4. No mega evolutions.
5. A Pokémon may use any of the moves its learns by level up and a few that it would learn by other means such as tutoring or Tms.

Last edited:

GackGack27

Previously JC499
Name: Jack
Gym badges already owned: All Kanto and Johto badges
Personality: Nice but willing to be aggressive if needed.
Appearance: Male, Brown Hair, Green Eyes
Backstory: Grew up in Kanto, mom gave him the last 4 Pokemon mentioned, rescued the other 2.
Pokémon team: Meowth, Butterfree, Gourgeist, Venusaur, Flareon, Kabutops

Name: Jack
Gym badges already owned: All Kanto and Johto badges
Personality: Nice but willing to be aggressive if needed.
Appearance: Male, Brown Hair, Green Eyes
Backstory: Grew up in Kanto, mom gave him the last 4 Pokemon mentioned, rescued the other 2.
Pokémon team: Meowth, Butterfree, Gourgeist, Venusaur, Flareon, Kabutops
Apologies but we are looking for more experienced roleplayers, thanks for applying.

Name: Klein Brooks

Gym badges already owned: Obtained sixteen badges between Kalos and Sinnho in between a stretch of four years.

Personality: Klein is an introvert who is striving to become more social, and as he has continued on his journey he has become much more comfortable around other people. He is generally a positive person and likes a good laugh now and then.

Appearance:

Physical - Klein physically doesn't stand out much, standing at about 6'1" while being relatively thin. His face is pretty well defined with the highlights being his crystal blue eyes and his rather messy raven hair.

Clothes and Accessories - Pokémon Tech evidently left a mark on his fashion sense, as Klein mainly wears a white button up shirt and black tie, complete with black dress pants and leather dress shoes. On rare occasions he elects to wear something casual.

Klein is almost always found with a silver watch on his wrist and a leather satchel latched onto his shoulder, both given by his mother upon his graduation.

Backstory: Klein attended Pokémon Tech, a well known school found in Kanto, around the age of ten. After graduating he became eligible for the Indigo League but declined in order to start his own journey.

Arriving in Kalos at the age of seventeen, he received a Froakie as his first Pokémon. Over four years Klein was able to gradually build his team and successfully complete the gym challenges in Kalos and Sinnoh.

Now at the age of 22, Klein is up against his greatest trial yet; the Premier Gym challenge.

Pokémon team: Aegislash, Greninja, Hawlucha, Garchomp, Togekiss, Snorlax

Name: Unknown – Alias - DarkFire

Age: Unknown – However his appearance is of someone in their early 20’s.

Gym badges already owned: Currently owns the badges of the following Regions, Kanto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Johto, and Kalos. Obtained the badges within the year span of six human years. Holds a single badge from each region as a memento of his achievement of completing the Gym challenges.

Personality: He is mostly a serious fellow when it comes to things such as battling. However, when he is relaxed he can be rather mellow, or severely calm. He is trusting of others, which can be considered a weakness of his, however he is able to be freely trusting as he will always get back at those who betray him. He as a realistic view of the world he lives in, realizing mankind can and will mistreat Pokémon. When he finds a challenge, or reason he can believe in or fight for, he becomes very passionate of meeting his goal to the very end. He overall is what, in society, is considered a good-hearted person. But what defines him from most is, he is willing to make choices that could in turn be considered evil, but ultimately will lead to a desired outcome.

Appearance:

Height: 6’5”

Weight: 190 lbs.

Hair: Short Black

Eyes: Dark Emerald

Clothing: Black Undershirt. Black short overcoat with hood of strange handmade design. Dog tags. A black amulet with a C engraved in the center. Black pants. Two, black colored, boots with small crosses attached to the front. Black gloves with strange intricate designs. Two black circular earrings. Sunglasses covering his eyes.

Identifying Marks: A tattoo of a black serpent on his back.

Musculature: Some weight on his body however has keeps a fit tone to his body.

Backstory: “A forgotten world. I stand alone. I trust those who I feel can be trusted. And smite those who would harm this world. I have lived and died. Just to live again, and see this world burn and burn. I left my home, to seek redemption. But instead found more heartbreak. I do not give up however. I continue to live as if nothing were wrong. I slowly wait and ponder. Why this world goes by ever yonder. I tire of this endless waiting. As I am fading. Please lost kings, find your path. For my royal blood while kindle your wrath. Please of fallings beings. Find your way. For I shall lead you far away. Oh, dying life, you will be reborn. As I seek you forever more.”

DarkFires Family:

Iron Claw: Ability – Rock Head (Male Aggron with red eyes instead of Blue)

Gardevoir: Ability - Synchronize (Female. Instead of Green Skin, a genetic mutation lead to her having Blue skin)

Hitmonchan: Ability – Iron Fist (Male)

Pearl: Ability – Unburden (Female Liepard. Genetic Mutation leading to instead of purple fur. She possesses and Darker red-brown mix.)

DarkFlare: Ability – Rivalry (Female Pyroar)

Crash: Ability – Battle Armor (Male Marowak)

(If you wish for more Details regarding the individual stories of each Pokémon, shoot me a message.)

Name: Alexander James Xavier VII (Ajax)
Gym badges already owned: all of Sinnoh, Hoenn and Alola (completed the trails)
Personality: Often reserved to begin with Ajax can be antisocial at times, but once he becomes comfortable with people he is very open and friendly
Goal: To grow stronger and one day open his own battle facility for highly skilled trainers from across the globe
Looks: slim build, medium height, pale complexion with short croppy red hair and piecing orange eyes.
Clothes: dark grey shirt, crimson red long jacket, dark jeans and tall brown boots.
Backstory (Doesn't need to be too long if you dont want it to be.):
Ajax was born in Canalave city where he lived until he was about 8, where following the death of his mother he was movedaround a lot going between towns and cities around Sinnoh. It was during a 3 month stay in the resort area north of Sunnyshore city that Ajax came across a badly injured Croagunk

Ajax shared everything with Dart, any food he got he offered to the small Pokémon, any spare time they had was spent training and spending time together.

Thanks to a loop-hole in the Sinnoh league rules Ajax was allowed to use Dart as his starter and so begun their journey across the Sinnoh Region.

It took a long time but Ajax and a slowly expanding roster finally managed to earn enough badges to take part in the Sinnoh League Conference, where he managed to make it to the final 8 losing to a mega Houndoom, but Ajax wasn't deterred he had heard stories of Steven the Hoenn champion using a Mega Metagross so he decided to head to Hoenn in hopes of learning its secrets and how to defeat it

Ajax went on to collect the rest of the badges he needed to participate in the Hoenn League conference, where in which he met Steven and was offered the chance to train under him for a time.

More recently Ajax was crowned as Alolan Champion for all of ten seconds with the then 19 year old returning the title to his predecessor and heading off again to re-challenge the Sinnoh League.

Upon his victory in the Sinnoh League conference Ajax was approached to be apart of the premier gym challenge

Pokémon team (We would love to see some interesting teams and because this is more anime style than anything feel free to bring lesser used Pokémon!):
Toxicroak - Dart
Talonflame - Raptor
Mudsdale - Garu
Aegislash - Naga
Syvleon - Navi
Raichu (Alolan) - Puka

Last edited:
Name: Robin Deux
Gym badges already owned: Kanto, Hoenn, Johto and Unova over 8 years.
Personality: Robin is very open and friendly, and loves to battle. It doesn't take much for him to get fired up in battle. A strong opponent? He gets fired up. A cocky, disrespectful opponent? He gets ticked off, and fired up.
Appearance: Robin has a bit larger than average build, and blue scruffy hair. He has blue eyes, and a scar that goes over the bridge of his nose. He wears a green t-shirt, worn jeans, and carries around a backpack. Robin also carries around a Ninjato.
Backstory: Robin grew up outside the regions, and was trained in the sword. Since he enjoys Pokemon battles, he decided to take multiple gym challenges as he wandered from region to region. Robin also sold TMs and HMs, mostly slashing-type attacks.
Pokémon team:
Q the Gallade (Ability: Steadfast)
Sam the Farfetch'd (Holding a Stick, with the ability Keen Eye)
Rosa the Maractus (Ability: Water Absorb)
Cherry the Plusle (Ability: Lightning Rod)
Reaper the Absol (Ability: Super Luck. Equipped with Sharp Claws)
Big Turk the Blastoise (Ability: Torrent)

Right glad to see that's sorted. It actually works in order of bios posted.

And no, if you beat the challenge you don't get to become a champion as it isn't a league challenge. However your character will earn a badge from each gym they defeat, something you can put on your OC permanently as a sign off how tough they are.

Right glad to see that's sorted. It actually works in order of bios posted.

And no, if you beat the challenge you don't get to become a champion as it isn't a league challenge. However your character will earn a badge from each gym they defeat, something you can put on your OC permanently as a sign off how tough they are.
Out of curiosity, was the paragraph that I posted the right length and structure you were looking for?

Each gym leader will be introduced on their own island. So basically after a few more posts I'm going to leave it to @Keybored and the battle shall commence. As I said this is less of a story Rp and more of a chance just to get some excellent battling done with a loose premise.

I can't give any final statements on the team composition question, though I would assume that you would have to check with OP for any changes made to the team. As far as held items go, I can say that they can be used freely unless specified otherwise.

Speaking personally, I feel the need to clarify that these are RP battles, not VGC or Smogon battles. As stated by OP, battles will be decided largely by writing skill and ingenuity. In that sense, stats from the games are mostly irrelevant aside from providing rough estimates of a Pokemon's general abilities.

I can't give any final statements on the team composition question, though I would assume that you would have to check with OP for any changes made to the team. As far as held items go, I can say that they can be used freely unless specified otherwise.

Speaking personally, I feel the need to clarify that these are RP battles, not VGC or Smogon battles. As stated by OP, battles will be decided largely by writing skill and ingenuity. In that sense, stats from the games are mostly irrelevant aside from providing rough estimates of a Pokemon's general abilities.
I know it’s just, for continuity and believability,
Say a Pokémon has a shell bell or other HP restoring item, it would make sense they may last longer than if they didn’t have said items.
With this in mind it is not unheard for anime Pokémon to use more than 4 moves, is the allowed here or would we stick to the 4. This is all primarily so I can get some additional practice writing for a battle-based context rather than a story based one

@Eis thanks for your help in my absence, I've been so busy lately that I've been struggling to even get a look in on Pokecharms.

So as for moves and items....putting leftovers on it would help a tiny bit but I dont expect a Pokémon with leftovers to suddenly become an utter tank. Items aren't game changers. On the subject of moves a Pokémon may know everything it gets via level up and then a few that it would get by TM, Tutor and egg moves.

I will get another post up, I'm trying my best with limited free time here.

I’d also like to make the note, involving items, that in my opinion, is that items would have to be physically held by the pokemon. So say the item is a Razor Claw. The Pokemon in question would have to have that in their hands/paws to use it effectively (or around their neck), and if this said its is removed than its effects are gone too.

Okay then, I should probably clarify about the Razor Claw Robin's Absol, Reaper, holds then. The razor claw (or claws) are attached to Reaper's front paws, over her own claws. (Kinda like Scourge from Warriors if any y'all ever read that series).

As for Sam's stick, well... It's a very special stick.

@Eis thanks for your help in my absence, I've been so busy lately that I've been struggling to even get a look in on Pokecharms.

So as for moves and items....putting leftovers on it would help a tiny bit but I dont expect a Pokémon with leftovers to suddenly become an utter tank. Items aren't game changers. On the subject of moves a Pokémon may know everything it gets via level up and then a few that it would get by TM, Tutor and egg moves.

I will get another post up, I'm trying my best with limited free time here.
I meant as in the number of moves, the usual 4 or are we allowed say 6 if we can justify it

Yeah what I'm saying is if your Pokémon learns the move naturally you can use it. Then 1-2 TM/ tutor/ egg moves. So you have a wide enough movepool to keep things interesting but it's not ridiculous.