• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Pokedex Collector's Edition

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I have A Book.

Specifically, I went into my local video games emporium on Sunday to purchase something (I was thinking of Pikmin 2 or Donkey Konga), and I found A Book.

It is one of those Prima guides but so much cooler than most of them. It is the Pokemon Pokedex Collector's Edition. It is hardback, and has a flicky hologram on the front with Squirtle, Charmander and Bulbasaur bursting out of Pokeballs (flicky like the Nice Cards in Pokemon Channel!). It has a poster with many Pokemon on (all of them? I'm not sure, and cba to count). It is SO COOL.

Inside there is half a page on every Pokemon (except the legendaries not released in NorAm) with a picture, evolution detail, locations, all the level-up moves, egg moves and Move Tutor moves. It's really, really geeky.

The only thing is, the "stats" they have assigned to each Pokemon are completely bizarre - basically everyone has either 33, 66 or 100 in each of the 6 visible stats, and I have no idea where these numbers have come from or what they are supposed to relate to (base stats at level ??). Also they are somewhat bogus, in that Shedinja (Mr 1 HP) apparently has "33" for its HP. I also think quite a few of the locations (a lot more than the ones corrected on the guide's web site) are screwy, and am wondering which particular game the level-up moves are supposed to apply to, bearing in mind I KNOW from experience some Pokemon learn different moves in Colosseum than they do in Ruby/Sapphire.

But, y'know. £15 for A Book, of Extreme Geekishness. With a hologram on the front and free poster. And a couple of pictures by Ken Sugimori, and an interview with Game Freak. So Much Cooler than 20 billion printed pages of FAQ and random handwritten notes, and so much more convenient than turning on the laptop every time I need to check someone's moveset.

Can't Stop Stroking The Book...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
That thing sounds interesting... I already have the R/S and FR/LG guides, though, which put together contain information on all of the Pokemon, their TMs/HMs/Eggmoves, etc. Although, since Hoenn Pokemon can learn new egg moves/move tutor moves via FR/LG/Emerald the R/S guide isn't as up to date as I'd like it to be.

Does that collector's book take Emerald into consideration?

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Doesn't even mention Emerald :?. Seems like a bit of an oversight, seeing that everyone and their dog knows it's coming out... sometime.

My brain has stopped functioning (probably because I got my dinner out of the fridge 4 hours ago but haven't actually managed to cook it yet, and have been existing on chocolate - which is Not a replacement for a healthy balanced diet) so I can't remember the other point I was going to make - if I remember it I'll post it later :oops:.

Actually, what you got for pre-ordering FRLG in the States was a booklet called the Pocket Trainer's Guide. It was like an explanation of the games for people who've never played them before. It was later available to Canadians through a sweepstakes.

I've seen this Prima 'Dex, and it doesn't look like a bad one. However, it is Prima, and I've got all the Dex I need between Nintendo Power's RS guide and FRLG guide.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Got that shitty guide here too...*waves it*

I have the G/S/C Master Dex from Prima - aside from some mistakes that survived editing (gotta be expected but it's annoying) it's quite good. Really handy for in-depth stuff etc. I imagine an Advanced Generation version would be as useful.