• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The PokéCharms E3 Conference Party

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Last year, this worked pretty well, so I'd like to make this official. Basically, I would like to get all the gamers we have into chat, so that we can watch the conferences together. Going by my experience last year, there will be thrills, spills, speculation, utter utter rage at Nintendo, and some very interesting news.

Here's the conference times for the two I plan to watch, and the streams I will be using - if you find other conferences that you would like to watch with other 'Charmsians, let me know. And if anyone finds the Valve conference streamed, I will give you a congratulatory cookie.

Microsoft: Monday, 14th June at 5:30pm6:30pm GMT. Stream: http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/e3/
Nintendo: Tuesday, 15th June at 5:00pm GMT. Stream: http://e3.nintendo.com/
Sony: Tuesday, 15th June at 8:00pm GMT. Stream: http://us.playstation.com/e3-2010/

Ideally, it would be best if we all watched the same streams - I know I was at least two or three minutes behind certain people last year, which spoiled it slightly, so trying to minimise that would be helpful.

The conferences are also being streamed at GameSpot if we need them. I used GameSpot last year with... patchy results - hopefully they would have managed to get more bandwidth this time!

List of unofficial streams:

http://e3.gamespot.com/
http://g4tv.com/E32010
http://e3.ign.com/

What do you all think?

ETA: hurr I suck, the Microsoft conference is at 6:30pm, not 5:30.

Sounds good Data, I'll be looking forward to it. Last year, I didn't know what was going on when you did this - I didn't check the forums as much as I do now but yeah, I'll be happy to watch the live stream with you. Any ideas how long it's going to be on for?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hehe. Last year KoL told us we all failed at running commentaries. XD

And damn, sucks for me. 5:00 & 5:30 PM GMT? I'll still be at work during both of those conferences. Guess I'll just need to catch the reruns after the fact. :(

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
D'awww. I'd have loved to attend this year, but I'm at work while both of those are on :(

Oh well, hope you all have a great time ♥

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Toru said:
Sounds good Data, I'll be looking forward to it. Last year, I didn't know what was going on when you did this - I didn't check the forums as much as I do now but yeah, I'll be happy to watch the live stream with you. Any ideas how long it's going to be on for?
Good question. They're usually about an hour or so each.

I'm not sure how my schedule is looking for those days, but I'll likely be able to come for Nintendo's conference if not both. The Nintendo one is just more likely in my case.

Well the frist one is on my brothers birthday so I might not make it. The second one looks good for me so far, I assume that it will be taking place in the charms chat?

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Perfect-Chao said:
Well the frist one is on my brothers birthday so I might not make it. The second one looks good for me so far, I assume that it will be taking place in the charms chat?
Yup, just standard #pokecharms chat. :)

for those of us in the US, watching the conferences live on TV on G4 is also a possibility considering they will have live coverage of just about every major event at E3 ^^

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I'm more interested about the Nintendo conference myself - given how cryptic and secretive they were last year, I'm expecting them to kick some ass here this year...even if they do end up just teasing the fans once again.

...and I don't remember it at all, but you do all suck at commentary - shame on you all! :p

AmethystDragon said:
Can someone please translate me from GMT to EST? I'll be sure to watch that feed, but I want to be certain of the time.

12:00.

I haven't seen an E3 before, so it should be exciting. I can't wait to see what suprises the 3DS and its launch titles will hold!

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I shall be watching, and as a pre-teaser, here's my E3 prediction list:

Sony

As far as games go, I'm not really in my element for Sony, as I've kinda let them to it with their whole PS3 thing this Gen so far, however, it seems almost certain that we'll be seeing LittleBigPlanet2 at the show, and I have a personal vested interest in news about games like inFamous 2 and Rockstar's PS3 exclusive (and currently a huge mystery) 'The Agent'. inFamous almost certainly will be at the show, but we can but hope that The Agent will make an appearance. It's possible Uncharted 3 will show up - but I wouldn't be terribly confident about it. Sony are the last of the Big 3 to have their conference next week, so one thing you can expect is a reel of non-exclusive games that Microsoft almost certainly will have covered at some point in their own conference on Monday - though there's always the possibility of the odd reveal here or there.

Key point for Sony and racing fans, though, is that Gran Turismo 5 should be walking away from E3 with a release date - though whether it finally sticks to that one, I wouldn't put much money on.

Otherwise, Sony will almost certainly be making a big show of Playstation Move and revealing launch software for it. So much so, that I'd anticipate it taking up a good half of the show.

There's also a strong possibility that the second half will be dominated by the reveal of a successor to the PSP, in an attempt to steal Nintendo's 3DS reveal thunder, but I'm not personally sure this is the year for two pieces of expensive Playstation hardware to hit the shelves, so I'd more expect this announcement next year.

Nintendo

As always, Nintendo will be doing their own thang. It will be interesting to see if, in light of Sony and Microsoft seriously dialling down the business side of E3 in favour of spectacle and showmanship (Microsoft is opening their conference with a performance by Cirque Du Soleil...), Nintendo follows suit and abandons their usual half hour bar-chart discussion with Iwata. Certainly, without a large degree of change of form, compared to Microsoft and Sony's energetic conferences this year, Nintendo will stand out alone as a stiff, boring infodump.

Software-wise, Nintendo are hard to pin down. It's normally safe to assume that we'll have at least one major first-party game reveal at E3, and since we know that Zelda's first proper Wii adventure is very much definitely debuting here, that's definitely safe one way or another - but hopefully we'll see something as shocking and impressive as Metroid: Other M's reveal last year - which, incidentally, will almost certainly receive one final airing at this year's E3 ahead of it's September release.

One thing we could hope out for is a reveal of Pokemon Black and White to the E3 audience. Pokemon.com have already revealed the games when Reshiram and Zekrom were initially revealed - and it could have been a deliberate move ahead of this conference. Could we expect much more than a few seconds of footage and maybe some English names? Not really - the chances of it being playable on the show floor are almost absolutely nil - but a reveal at E3, before the Japanese release, would be a new thing for the main series of Pokemon games, and quite fitting given the precedent established by HeartGold/SoulSilver's announcement on Pokemon.com before their Japanese release.

One can almost certainly expect the Wii Vitality Sensor to return to the show this year, too - hopefully with something absolutely mind-blowing to be able to convince people it could even possibly be worth buying.

It would also be very nice to see Golden Sun 3 again, given that we haven't seen or heard anything at all about it since that brief glimpse at last year's show.

Of course, though, this year for Nintendo will almost certainly be dominated by the reveal of the 3DS. We should expect a worldwide release before the end of the year (kicking off from October), an analogue stick (not a nub like the PSP, but an actual little stick), at least one widescreen and presumably at least one title from the Mario, Sonic and Pokemon crews for launch. The real strength of this machine, though, wont just lie on its 3D laurels - but on whether Nintendo have the balls to officially stand it apart from the DS as a proper successor - and not just another incremental upgrade. To do this, they need to, at the very least, remove the DS from the name - but I'd argue that a huge jump in graphic capabilities (a very high possibility, actually), and software that demonstrates it well could be a decisive force here. A good media showing for it wouldn't hurt either - given that the mainstream press will undoubtedly take most note of Nintendo's actions here than the others.

Microsoft

It's pretty safe to say that Microsoft's show can be summed up in one word: 'Natal'. Although, that word will reportedly change to whatever Microsoft have decided to officially call it... but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they just stuck with Natal.

As well as being a major hardware and software reveal in and of itself, it's also highly expected that Microsoft will be using Natal to re-brand and re-release the Xbox 360 itself. 360 cases have already started going out onto shelves slightly new designs that replace the original 360 swirls logotype with a more definitive and thick green pattern. It may not sound like much, but combine it with industry rumours that just wont go away and a pretty obvious opportunity, and it seems pretty likely that the 360 will relaunch alongside Natal with a 'Slim' form.

Obviously, whether this will merely be a new form factor, or an opportunity to include the long-fabled Blu-Ray player and a chance to combat years of reliability issues with a refresh and a clean slate, we'll have to wait and see - but the chance such a beast will exist is really quite likely.

Software wise, aside from Natal, we can expect Microsoft to make a song and dance about exclusives once more. We already have titles such as Gears of War 3, Painkiller and Halo Reach nestled comfortably under MS's belt for the show - but new titles, or news on titles such as the exclusive Metal Gear game revealed last year are harder to pin down. I'd think it's safe to say, though, that Microsoft will be walking away from this conference with yet another shock reveal well and truly in the bag - but whether that reveal comes from its own stable, or from a studio or even game series that they're dramatically pinching from Sony's, will remain to be seen.

Microsoft's conference is also going to be the stage for a lot of multi-platform games to be aired for the first time, such as Rock Band 3 and Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock - and presumably Arkham Asylum 2 (and hopefully with a more appropriate name),Star Wars the Force Unleashed II and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood among many others. One thing we do seem to know is that Mass Effect and DragonAge - two big Bioware titles - will be seeing new titles on the show floor, so they will likely be in the conference too - but don't be expecting Mass Effect 3 already. Chances are, it will be like AC: Brotherhood and just be expanding the universe of the games while dragging their heels waiting for the trilogy's conclusion. Though, you never know, maybe I'll have to just hurry the hell up and finish ME2.

Overall, I predict a pretty tough E3 to pin down who 'won'. I expect Microsoft's show will be the most overall impressive - and I, personally, am really looking forward to seeing exactly what Natal can really do - but it's tough to ignore the fact that although it's unlikely Nintendo will have a strong software showing, their 3DS reveal is likely to be the most important part of this entire week. Sony are kinda off to the side for me, really. The Playstation Move will be demonstrated at E3 with an overdue software sampling - but this was all meant to be out there on the shelves already, and GDC already covered the hardware itself pretty well. Without an impressive display of Move software, it's not hard to imagine Sony getting a bit swept away by their competitors this year. If they reveal the next PSP, it'll be a different story - if only because of the direct competition against Nintendo's 3DS reveal mere minutes before - but, like I said, I'm not buying it that we'll be seeing two Sony hardware releases this year.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The Natal conference hasn't even begun yet and already there are leaks springing everywhere.

Natal is reportedly going to be called Kinect, and will be released alongside (though apparently not bundled with) with a new slimmer Xbox 360 that sports built-in WiFi (Hallefuckingluyah) and a 250GB (yes) HardDrive.

http://kotaku.com/5562387/new-xbox-360- ... ts-renamed

This is what it looks like:

500x_slim360.jpg

Personally, I think it looks roughly the same size as the current Xbox, so the form change is going to be pretty minimal (and the 360 was pretty small to begin with anyway. Y'know, in comparison to its predecessor and the PS3). The built in WiFi and the likelyhood it will have an HDMI connection, though, means it's quite likely I'll pick one up sooner or later. Running on a first wave 360 means I'm denied the luxury of HDMI and being able to finally use WiFi rather than running through my Laptop should mean I'd be able to actually play online a bit more often.

Expect price points when both the Slim 360 and Kinect/Natal are officially announced tonight/tomorrow.

A tear for microsoft making the xbox dream come true with built in wifi and 250 gbs, although its long overdo and needed. The only problem is how much is this going to cost, we don't need another 500$ Playstation price like system upon release.
Then again leeks aren't always 100% correct.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Kira said:
A tear for microsoft making the xbox dream come true with built in wifi and 250 gbs, although its long overdo and needed. The only problem is how much is this going to cost, we don't need another 500$ Playstation price like system upon release.

The Xbox Elite with a 250GB drive costs $399.99/£249.99. That's likely to drop down in price itself when the new one launches, but whether this new form takes up that price point, or adds another $50/£50 onto it (which I wouldn't place outside of the realms of possibility) will remain to be seen.

Natal/Kinect has been rumoured to be hitting retail at about $70/£50 for a while now, and I'd be surprised if it were much higher than that - especially if it wont be bundled.

DoctorOak said:
Kira said:

The Xbox Elite with a 250GB drive costs $399.99/£249.99. That's likely to drop down in price itself when the new one launches, but whether this new form takes up that price point, or adds another $50/£50 onto it (which I wouldn't place outside of the realms of possibility) will remain to be seen.

Natal/Kinect has been rumoured to be hitting retail at about $70/£50 for a while now, and I'd be surprised if it were much higher than that - especially if it wont be bundled.
Thats pretty bad itself, including tax it would add about another 28$ meaning its price would just be 427.99
, and i would expect the normal xbox price to either increase or decrease by a small number, around 7%.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
UPDATE:

USAToday has confirmed that Natal is now definitely Kinect, and will have "a Star Wars game from Lucasarts, a Disney game, a dance title from MTV (interesting), a pet-training title,a Wii Sports clone called "Kinect Sports" (which we believe Rare is developing), an adventure sports game and, as expected, the return of Joyride as a motion-controlled game."

http://kotaku.com/5562418/project-natal-officially-renamed-kinect-more-games-revealed

I'm rather hoping that the Star Wars game is The Force Unleashed II. It'd be quite cool to use Kinect to actually use the force on enemies. Though, if they just make a completely separate game for that, I'm cool with that too.

DoctorOak said:
UPDATE:

USAToday has confirmed that Natal is now definitely Kinect, and will have "a Star Wars game from Lucasarts, a Disney game, a dance title from MTV (interesting), a pet-training title,a Wii Sports clone called "Kinect Sports" (which we believe Rare is developing), an adventure sports game and, as expected, the return of Joyride as a motion-controlled game."

http://kotaku.com/5562418/project-natal-officially-renamed-kinect-more-games-revealed

I'm rather hoping that the Star Wars game is The Force Unleashed II. It'd be quite cool to use Kinect to actually use the force on enemies. Though, if they just make a completely separate game for that, I'm cool with that too.
The Horror movie joyride? interesting i'd like to test that out. I may purchase Star Wars althought im not a big fan of it, I do think another sports game is poor, since the wii did the same thing practicly, with Wii Sports. pet training just sounds like Nintendogs. Let us hope that disney game is Kingdom hearts, and we apparently have another dance dance revolution MTV style.(Cue the Unce Unce Unce Techno music.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Erm, no. Joyride is an Avatar racing game that debuted at last year's E3, but then proceeded to disappear completely. The reason for its disappearance is that they went back into development to include Kinect controls.

The idea that a lot of Kinect's software would copy Nintendo's offerings, though, isn't that out of the blue though. I mean, Nintendo made the concept of motion controls and casual gaming a lucrative template to follow, and Kinect is shamelessly Microsoft's attempt to do that.

Personally, I can get behind the concept of Kinect more than the Wii, though. The idea of including good motion controls into a good game is something I've been waiting years for Wii developers to man up and get onto - so I'm hopeful that Kinect is that window into such development.

DoctorOak said:
Erm, no. Joyride is an Avatar racing game that debuted at last year's E3, but then proceeded to disappear completely. The reason for its disappearance is that they went back into development to include Kinect controls.

The idea that a lot of Kinect's software would copy Nintendo's offerings, though, isn't that out of the blue though. I mean, Nintendo made the concept of motion controls and casual gaming a lucrative template to follow, and Kinect is shamelessly Microsoft's attempt to do that.

Personally, I can get behind the concept of Kinect more than the Wii, though. The idea of including good motion controls into a good game is something I've been waiting years for Wii developers to man up and get onto - so I'm hopeful that Kinect is that window into such development.
Thats kind of a bummer, the horror movie joyride as a motion sensed game seemed exciting, dodging a truck and so forth.

Personally from experience of motion control it went from.
I-toy -Playstation (Which had better success then the wii remote..)
Wii -Wii
Kinect- Xbox 360.

Kind of showing Microsoft and such all did the same thing.

I also would prefer motion control of kinect, seeing how i -Hate- the wii remote and wii sensor bar with every fiber of my being.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
DoctorOak said:

I'd say I can get behind both of 'em personally, but I'm actually not as excited over motion controls as I once was (more interested in hardware like the 3DS at this point). PS3's attempt to get into the motion market just seems like the Wii Motion Plus all over again, too. At least Kinect will offer something more.

I guess I'm not really going into this E3 comparing the technology console to console. Good on them if one out-shines the other, but I'm not really concerned. Since I already own all three 'em (nor really support one over the other) I'm just interested to see what each of them will offer me indivdiually.

Last edited by a moderator:
So between Kinect and this new 360...I'm definitely getting one.

I didn't catch anything Star Wars, though, did I miss that?

Also, I'm going to be missing the Nintendo conference tomorrow....does anyone know of a way I can watch it after the fact?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Cody said:
Also, I'm going to be missing the Nintendo conference tomorrow....does anyone know of a way I can watch it after the fact?

Gametrailers will have it up at some point tomorrow after the show.

Right, so let's review my Microsoft predictions:

It's pretty safe to say that Microsoft's show can be summed up in one word: 'Natal'. Although, that word will reportedly change to whatever Microsoft have decided to officially call it... but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they just stuck with Natal.

Well, they went with Kinect instead of Natal, and for the most part, yes, the entire show was centred around it.

As well as being a major hardware and software reveal in and of itself, it's also highly expected that Microsoft will be using Natal to re-brand and re-release the Xbox 360 itself. 360 cases have already started going out onto shelves slightly new designs that replace the original 360 swirls logotype with a more definitive and thick green pattern. It may not sound like much, but combine it with industry rumours that just wont go away and a pretty obvious opportunity, and it seems pretty likely that the 360 will relaunch alongside Natal with a 'Slim' form.

Obviously, whether this will merely be a new form factor, or an opportunity to include the long-fabled Blu-Ray player and a chance to combat years of reliability issues with a refresh and a clean slate, we'll have to wait and see - but the chance such a beast will exist is really quite likely.

A new slimmer 360 is hitting the shelves, but not alongside Natal, today. It has built-in Wi-Fi (n), a 250GB HDD, a sleek, shiny new look (presumably in black only) and will retail for the exact same price as the current top range Xbox 360, that's $299 US and £249.99 GBP. It does not have Blu-ray.

Software wise, aside from Natal, we can expect Microsoft to make a song and dance about exclusives once more. We already have titles such as Gears of War 3, Painkiller Bulletstorm and Halo Reach nestled comfortably under MS's belt for the show - but new titles, or news on titles such as the exclusive Metal Gear game revealed last year are harder to pin down. I'd think it's safe to say, though, that Microsoft will be walking away from this conference with yet another shock reveal well and truly in the bag - but whether that reveal comes from its own stable, or from a studio or even game series that they're dramatically pinching from Sony's, will remain to be seen.

Gears 3 was demoed for the first time on stage, as was Halo Reach and the new Metal Gear Rising game (which was fucking ACE). The only real 'shock' reveal, though, was that Microsoft has brought Crytek - the guys behind graphic-card killing game Crysis and the Far Cry series - and have them hard at work on a 360 exclusive that seems to revolve around a Roman warrior or warriors. It doesn't actually seem to have a proper name yet though, so information about it is going to be pretty sparse for now.

Microsoft's conference is also going to be the stage for a lot of multi-platform games to be aired for the first time, such as Rock Band 3 and Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock - and presumably Arkham Asylum 2 (and hopefully with a more appropriate name),Star Wars the Force Unleashed II and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood among many others. One thing we do seem to know is that Mass Effect and DragonAge - two big Bioware titles - will be seeing new titles on the show floor, so they will likely be in the conference too - but don't be expecting Mass Effect 3 already. Chances are, it will be like AC: Brotherhood and just be expanding the universe of the games while dragging their heels waiting for the trilogy's conclusion. Though, you never know, maybe I'll have to just hurry the hell up and finish ME2.

Sadly, Microsoft only really featured the latest Call of Duty (and their 'exclusive' deal to have DLC slightly before anyone else for all CoD games for the next 3 years) before settling into an "exclusives only" mode for the rest of the show. All these games should still be on the show floor, though - and it's quite possible that Sony will pick up on the multi-platform hits on their conference just as they did last year (afterall, they have a smaller list of exclusives to dick-wave around to begin with).

Overall, it was pretty much on the money - just missing out on the multi-platform reel one would normally expect.

Tomorrow we have Nintendo and Sony, both significantly harder to predict, so we'll see how that goes.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hey, could someone link to all of the major conference re-runs (if possible)? I missed them all yesterday, and Ubisoft's sounded pretty fun. Wouldn't mind checking out Microsoft's either just to see what Kinect is all about.

I'm sorry that I won't be in chat for the Nintendo Conference after all ^^; Watching the Ubisoft one was really fun--even watching the EA one was cool to watch together even if the conference itself was rather lackluster for me.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Linkachu said:
Hey, could someone link to all of the major conference re-runs (if possible)? I missed them all yesterday, and Ubisoft's sounded pretty fun. Wouldn't mind checking out Microsoft's either just to see what Kinect is all about.

They'll all be on GameTrailers, just search for them there.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, so I watched Nintendo's conference from work. Let me tell you it was not easy, but it was worth it.

Lots of old favourites returning. Epic Mickey looks better than I expected. I lol'd at all the wireless problems when Shiggy was playing Zelda, but I want that game. And Kirby. And DKC Returns. But most of all... 3DS gimme now kthxbai. ^_^

Sooooooooo excited for Zelda and Metroid. Oh emm geeeee.

I'm still a little leery about the 3DS though. 3D stuff usually makes me pretty dizzy.