• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed The Oscillation: Fractured Skies (Discussion Thread)

I have one question on my mind: Did the gang members plan this attack and ransom plan before The Oscillation? Seems a bit strange that the phenomenon happens and then the next moment, they have a whole school taken hostage and with how many gang people there are, it looks like it would've taken a bit of time to make a plan for.

Bit of a stretch there, there are very few guaranteed moves.

This is way too strong for early game.

Particularly the dispersing magic on contact bit. Given how quickly this shield can be created it has the potential to be broken.

Fixed the psychokinetic shield
and made it slightly worse

oh and Null is going to awaken in my next post
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
also
yes it does seem a bit staged doesn't it

I have one question on my mind: Did the gang members plan this attack and ransom plan before The Oscillation? Seems a bit strange that the phenomenon happens and then the next moment, they have a whole school taken hostage and with how many gang people there are, it looks like it would've taken a bit of time to make a plan for.
I asked about that on discord (since it's been like thirty minutes since the oscillation happened) and Kyuu said it was a bit spurn of the moment thing. It's possible that the idea could've been proposed before within the gang, but they didn't have a good way of pulling it off until then. Also there's a traitor in the staff according to the letters, so they might've been tipped off by a not so clean teacher or something.

Also I brought up the idea of a riot in the discord, and I was told would work, it'd just get a lot of students killed in the process. So that's an option on the table if our red shirt students are disposable, though it would also probably mean the oscillated are fairly feared in the town afterwards, cause the first thing that happened after this started was a failed hostage attempt that ended with dozens dead. I just want to get it down on here before we throw cards into that ring.

There are indeed abilities related to both.

Since you're on-the-ball with your guessing game I can give you the names xD

LIAR MASK (PASSIVE)
???

SISYPHEAN TASK (ACTIVE)
???
for the sisyphean task
"Sisyphean describes a task as seemingly endless and futile—you keep doing it but it never gets done. The word comes from the name of Sisyphus, a character in Greek mythology who was punished by being forced to continuously roll a boulder up a steep hill."
why do i feel concerned about this
maybe he keeps coming back or some shit

for the sisyphean task
"Sisyphean describes a task as seemingly endless and futile—you keep doing it but it never gets done. The word comes from the name of Sisyphus, a character in Greek mythology who was punished by being forced to continuously roll a boulder up a steep hill."
why do i feel concerned about this
maybe he keeps coming back or some shit
The worst part, you could be right. Dude cheated death twice, maybe he has three lives?

Nah, this was planned in a matter of minutes. It's a pretty shoddy plan, that's banking on we have 500 hostages so they'll give us what we want. The plan wasn't complex enough or coordinated enough to require more than a few minutes to communicate, so they're just going off what their leader says.

I'll point out and clarify a few things.

Zola said you'd lose only when your attention was split and you tried to protect all the student and fight the Gang at the same time. As you've already realized to beat the gang now would leave dozens dead, and while some of the OCs might be willing to do that, Catherine for one, is not willing.

I do believe a split in the group might be unavoidable, since some people do want to fight now regardless of the risk to others.

As for the traitor, I think you're getting ahead of yourselves. The traitor hasn't betrayed you yet. If you look in Zola's first letter, she mentions a teacher that goes missing. The idea is that he betrays your plans to save his own skin. He hasn't betrayed you yet though, since the Gang hasn't had time to apply coercion.

With no other options left, Jonah walked up to Catherine to state what he had heard. "The police are on their way, but until they get here we gotta bide our time and cooperate with the gang," The senior whispered to avoid drawing the whip-lashing, gun-toting gangster's ire, his somber tone masked by the quietness of his voice, "I don't like it either but we don't have any other options at the moment." After delivering his warning, Jonah soon joined the growing crowd of students being ushered into their classrooms.

and yet jonah does NOT notice kirin having suddenly dropped to the floor and writhing in pain
yeah ok i mean sure that works i guess
i guess SOMEONE will notice
hopefully
@sSoul

Last edited:
oh shoot
i forgot that was a rule
ill fix it lol
Remember to top half of your post o7

I think just the font-change will be enough to show the difference.

Also do note that the more powerful the skill the greater the cost in terms of energy. So the more Null does, the more energy will be drained from Kirin to fuel his manifestation. You may want to adjust the skill to show that it's summoning-type or something like that. It would make more sense.

Remember to top half of your post o7

I think just the font-change will be enough to show the difference.

Also do note that the more powerful the skill the greater the cost in terms of energy. So the more Null does, the more energy will be drained from Kirin to fuel his manifestation. You may want to adjust the skill to show that it's summoning-type or something like that. It would make more sense.
Fixed the skill, made it summoning type
also
to lessen the color strain
The most important things he says are in purple
along with his normal dialogue
most other things will be black

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
So, I just started reading through some of the skill sheets to understand characters better. @~Patriot~ could you help me understand something about one of Marcus's skills?
Archangel’s Senses (Passive; Cooldown: N/A; Cost: N/A; Duration: N/A; Range: N/A) Marcus' senses are incredibly enhanced, to the point that he can hear the blood flowing and feel the vibrations from the heartbeat of a person standing about 20 feet away.
So in this skill, is Marcus able to hear the heartbeat from 20 feet away or actually physically feel the vibrations of a heartbeat from 20 feet away? Those are two insanely different things and I feel like the distinction is probably important. Also, I'm assuming all of his senses are enhanced to a level like this based on the skill, so could you clarify the extent to which all the senses were enhanced? I'm just trying to get a clearer picture.

So, I just started reading through some of the skill sheets to understand characters better. @~Patriot~ could you help me understand something about one of Marcus's skills?

So in this skill, is Marcus able to hear the heartbeat from 20 feet away or actually physically feel the vibrations of a heartbeat from 20 feet away? Those are two insanely different things and I feel like the distinction is probably important. Also, I'm assuming all of his senses are enhanced to a level like this based on the skill, so could you clarify the extent to which all the senses were enhanced? I'm just trying to get a clearer picture.
His sense of hearing is so sensitive he can hear a person's blood flowing through their body from 20 feet away, and his sense of touch is so sensitive he can physically feel the vibrations from a person's heartbeat from 20 feet away.

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
His sense of hearing is so sensitive he can hear a person's blood flowing through their body from 20 feet away, and his sense of touch is so sensitive he can physically feel the vibrations from a person's heartbeat from 20 feet away.
So... how is he not going crazy lmao. It's a passive ability meaning he's always hearing and feeling all of it. Plus he is in the middle of 500 students in close proximity. Shouldn't he be feeling some sort of sensory overload?

So... how is he not going crazy lmao. It's a passive ability meaning he's always hearing and feeling all of it. Plus he is in the middle of 500 students in close proximity. Shouldn't he be feeling some sort of sensory overload?
He passed out from the pain when he first Oscillated, but when he had the vision with Gabriel he was able to put a slight dampening effect on it. Marcus has earbuds in his ears that help a bit, and he was only in the group of students for a minute or two. He's now in the school with Alex and Null.

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
He passed out from the pain when he first Oscillated, but when he had the vision with Gabriel he was able to put a slight dampening effect on it. Marcus has earbuds in his ears that help a bit, and he was only in the group of students for a minute or two. He's now in the school with Alex and Null.
Well, I will say that I am still reading up on what I missed, so that's my excuse there. Anyway, I can see the earbuds helping, and it's good that the Gabriel vision dampened it, but something should probably be added to the skill sheet to show that it's dampened, just so people like me don't get confused lmao. Also was it just touch and hearing that was enhanced? I remember something in the post I just read about Marcus being able to see through the mist when no one else was. I'm sorry for all the questions btw.

Well, I will say that I am still reading up on what I missed, so that's my excuse there. Anyway, I can see the earbuds helping, and it's good that the Gabriel vision dampened it, but something should probably be added to the skill sheet to show that it's dampened, just so people like me don't get confused lmao. Also was it just touch and hearing that was enhanced? I remember something in the post I just read about Marcus being able to see through the mist when no one else was. I'm sorry for all the questions btw.
All of his main senses were enhanced, but his ability to see through the mist comes from his Extremely High Control Resistance.

FILTER: ( PASSIVE; COOLDOWN: N/A; COST: N/A; DURATION: N/A; RANGE: N/A }
Allows Catherine to filter out and focus on the sounds within her range.
Filter-type skills generally take care of sensory overload. If I'm to share my piece though, I think Marcus' senses, though enhanced, are still well within the realm of the animal world.

Barn owls can hear a mouse squeak from half a mile and can hear bugs in the grass at 100 ft.
http://www.wildlifelandtrust.org/wildlife/close-ups/owls-wildlife-close-up-1.html (Owl | Wildlife Land Trust)

I'd also note that dogs can hear a human heartbeat, though the exact distance of that is...shrugs. I couldn't find exact numbers.
https://wagwalking.com/sense/can-dogs-hear-a-human-heartbeat (Can Dogs Hear a Human Heartbeat? - Wag!)

The cat Catherine is based off, the Serval, can hear small mammals moving underground or through the grass. Again, the exact numbers on these ranges are sketchy. I went with a mile, because that's the quoted range for Lions. I imagine that the serval, who has the largest ears of any feline, has even more sensitive hearing.
https://bigcatrescue.org/serval-facts/ (Serval Facts, Photos, Sounds, News and Videos)

As for the sense of touch, that's a bit rarer but certainly not too crazy. Seal whiskers can, reportedly, detect a fish swimming in the water almost 600 ft away.
https://6senses.weebly.com/touch-and-vibration.html#:~:text=the catfish,are very sensitive to vibrations.

If you've ever seen a documentary on the ocean and seen fish in large schools moving in seemingly perfect synchrony, then that's also a feat of physical touch. Fish have a set of organs collectively called the Lateral Line System, which allows them to detect vibrations in the water and follow them.
https://www.britannica.com/science/lateral-line-system (Lateral line system | biology)