• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed The Oscillation (Discussion)

I’d be down to join a concurrent arc
Gotcha o7
I'd be down too. It takes place in Fort Bliss right?
No...no it does not xD

I will say that Fort Bliss will be the setting for the second arc.
I'm definitely for it! I haven't made an actual, in-character post on this site in like a year lmao
Gotcha!
totally down for the concurrent arc! ive been so excited to use wren, the sooner the better!~( ´∀`)☆
Then let's see how soon we can get this ball rolling!
Sorry, what is this concurrent arc? I must've been too lazy/busy to have seen any explanations.
The concurrent arc is essentially a second arc that would run alongside the school arc. It would take place in another location and its purpose would be to give those characters who aren't in the school arc a chance to do something. Instead of just waiting around for us to finish.

It wouldn't affect you since Adrian is in the school arc. It was for those people who joined after the initial 10 or so. I don't want like 20 characters in one space all reacting to the same thing, so this was my solution.
I would definitely be down for a concurrent arc.
Gotcha
Looks at 31k likes
Fixed it for ya :D

Since it's still near the beginning of the school year, I think I'll have the concurrent arc take place on a cruise currently off the gulf of Mexico. The characters would be headed for shore when the Oscillation occurs and I believe we'll take things from there. They'll be attacked by something, I haven't quite decided yet. I'll try to pace both arcs so they can conclude at similar times. Then we can smoothly transition into the 2nd arc and have the two groups of characters meet.

Does that sound acceptable?

Since it's still near the beginning of the school year, I think I'll have the concurrent arc take place on a cruise currently off the gulf of Mexico. The characters would be headed for shore when the Oscillation occurs and I believe we'll take things from there. They'll be attacked by something, I haven't quite decided yet. I'll try to pace both arcs so they can conclude at similar times. Then we can smoothly transition into the 2nd arc and have the two groups of characters meet.

Sounds really cool!

Sounds good to me, you can whip up someone turned into the kraken or something

Phew, okay, that post took a while. I'll have the character sheet for Yuying up shortly, but I wanted to get the post in before it got any later.

So this is the point where the plot thickens and everyone needs to make tough choices or not so tough choices, depending on what your priorities are.

Those on the cruise, feel free to post as the Oscillation will occur for you in my next post with Yuying. Do feel free to ask questions about anything you might be concerned about.

Her sheet took sooooooo long, but I'm glad to finally be able to create a character who's an immortal cultivator xD

Name: Zongying Yuying

Physical Features:
(Descriptions including height, weight, hair color, eye color, body shape, etc.)

Born from a mix of Chinese-American Oriental and African-American heritage, Yuying has rather unique physical features. Her sharp eyes and strong nose-line and lips give her a surprisingly feminine face, which is further accentuated by her round cheeks, and willowy eyebrows. She’s fair-skinned with beige complexion, and dark eyes and hair inherited from both her parents. While not particularly tall, Yuying stands at 5’3” and his a fruity body line.

Appearance: [Optional]
(Descriptions including clothing, accessories, piercings, hairstyles, etc.)

Personality:
(General description of personality. Can include likes & dislikes)

A bit of a nerd, Yuying has a deep interest in the wuxia and xianxia aspects of Chinese mythology and voraciously consumes novels on that matter when she has the time. When she’s not hunched over her phone reading or idly listening to a song, then Yuying can be quite outgoing and friendly. She’s bold and decisive, often making decisions without forethought or fully thinking things through. Her name means ‘to take heroes and flowers and models’, and she strives to do just that, often coming off as pushy with her ideals.

Name: Zongying Yuying
Kinship: Mythickin
Myth/Legend: Huli Jing

Physical Features: (Changed by the Oscillation)
(Descriptions including height, weight, hair colour, eye colour, body shape, etc.)

Yuying’s features have narrowed, she now possesses even sharper eyes and narrower nose, fringed with whiskers, that has given her an expression both foxy and perpetually playful. Her hair has lengthened immensely, from its previous bob-like length at her shoulders to a thick, wild, tresses that tickle her legs. Along with its increased length, Yuying’s hair also possesses two new colors. Between the black strands are singular streaks of gold and silver which can be only be seen when viewed from the front. These streaks are inline with the new pair of foxy ears that have grown to perch atop her head and she has a single tail matted with dark fur.

Appearance: [Optional]
(Descriptions including clothing, accessories, piercings, hairstyles, etc.)

Personality: (Changed by the Oscillation)
(General description of personality. Can include likes & dislikes)

Huli Jing are beings that can be both benevolent and malevolent, however, regardless of their morality the term Huli Jing is commonly used to refer to a creature who is dangerous in its seductive nature. Yuying’s transformation has given her foxy wiles, and a penchant for feeding her own amusement.

Mythos: The Huli Jing
(The Legend or Myth your character derives their power from and the abilities they would gain from those legends.)

Named with the terms Huli meaning 'fox' and Jing meaning 'essence', Huli Jing or Spirit Foxes as they are often called, are the Chinese equivalent of the Japanse Kitsune and the Korean Kumiho. Although all three myths share similar abilities and traits such as illusion creation, transformation, and seduction, the Huli Jing separates itself from its foxy sisters via its integration with other aspects of Chinese mythos namely the Xian, or the Immortals. Reputed as one of the 5 spiritual animals, foxes are able to absorb the essence of heaven and earth and cultivate to become immortal, a Huli Jing is one such fox which has begun cultivating towards immortality.

Immortality can be achieved through a variety of means but only the noblest of foxes are able to absorb power from the Sun and Moon then refine it into essence for their own use. The more common variety of fox targets men, absorbing their essence much like a succubus through sexual contact.

As with their kin the Kitsune and Kumiho, a Huli Jing's power is stated to be directly related to the number of tails they possess with each tail being the result of decades of cultivation. Similarly, they share the Kitsune's hatred and fear of dogs, as well as imperfect transformations that can be dropped if the fox is shocked, drunk, or careless.

It's said that when a Huli Jing achieves its ninth tail it can become immortal and transcend yin and yang.

Skill Sheet:

Solar Essence Absorption (Passive) Absorbs energy from the sun which can then be refined for the user's own usage. This requires direct contact with sunlight.

The Nature of Yang (Passive) When in direct sunlight Power, Strength, and Toughness are increased by 1 stage.

Pure Yang Qi [Aspect: Hardness] (Active) The aspect of Yang focused on is hardness; this skill produces golden light which can be shaped to the user's will. The light contains the property of 'hardness'.

Lunar Essence Absorption (Passive) Absorbs energy from the moon which can then be refined for the user's own usage. This requires direct contact with moonlight.

The Nature of Yin (Passive) When in direct moonlight Quickness, Agility, and Resilience are increased by 1 stage.

Pure Yin Qi [Aspect: Softness] (Active) The aspect of Yin focused on is softness; this skill produces silver light which can be shaped to the user's will. The light contains the property of 'softness'.

Man-Eater (Passive) Absorb the energy of others; this is best done through intimate contact. This ability is easily resisted otherwise.

Karmic Punishment (Passive) Accrues negative karma whenever Man-Eater is utilized to harm another person. This karma makes it harder to utilize any of the skills in [The Dao of Celestial Bodies]. Foxes with high Negative Karma have a high likelihood of inciting nigh-deadly heavenly tribulation. (Drastically increases the strength of the Heavenly Defiance Skill.)

Heavenly Defiance (Passive) Immortal cultivation is against the natural order. Each time the user grows strong i.e. gains another tail, Heavenly Tribulation will descend in an attempt to kill the user.

Cultivator of the Heavenly Dao (Passive) To cultivators, the Heavenly Dao is not to be violated. If a cultivator swears on the heavenly dao and then reneges on their promise, their body is destroyed and their soul eradicated.

Heaven Provides (Passive) Essence can be used as a substitute for food and water.

Fox Physique (Passive) The user has the senses and physical abilities of a fox.

Knowledge of a Thousand Li (Active) The spirit foxes highly advanced senses are said to enable it to know everything within a thousand Li (500 km). This skill allows the user to stretch a 'spirit-sense' as an extension of their soul to interact with the world around them.

Distance is limited by the number of tails. Each tail grants 10m distance.

Note:

■ Because the spiritual sense is an extension of the user, any harm done to the spiritual sense causes immediate and severe backlash on the user's soul, the severity of the harm can range from severe pain to mentally crippling.
■ The spiritual sense can be felt by those with spiritual awareness or awareness of souls in general.
Natural Adversaries (Passive) Foxes and Dogs are natural enemies. Kitsune, Kumiho, and Huli Jing alike have an irrational fear of dogs.

■ May be unable to use Shapeshifting or Illusions in the presence of a dog.

Shapeshifting (Active) The user can change forms

Restrictions:

■ Shapeshifint is not an effective disguise against canines because they have the ability to sniff out fox magic.
■ Shapeshifting is not an effective disguise against those with the Holy attribute who can see through it.
■ Shapeshifting is highly reliant on the user's control; Shapeshifting will show mistakes if the user is spooked, grows careless, intoxicated etc.
■ The true nature of a fox always shows. Shapeshifting is not perfect, often the user's shadow will still appear as a fox regardless of their form.

Illusion Weaving (Active) Glamorous illusions can be used to conceal the user and things around them.

Restrictions:

■ Illusions are not as effective on canines because they have the ability to sniff out fox magic.
■ Illusions are not effective on those with the Holy attribute who can see through it.
■ Illusions are highly reliant on the user's control; Illusions will show mistakes if the user is spooked, grows careless, intoxicated etc.
■ The true nature of a fox always shows. Illusions are not perfect, often the user's shadow will still appear as a fox regardless of their form.

Force

Power: Above Average
Strength: Above Average

Defense

Toughness: Above Average
Resilience: Above Average

Dexterity

Speed: Above Average
Agility: Above Average
Quickness: Above Average

Energy

Constitution: Above Average
Stamina: Above Average
Endurance: Above Average

Tenacity

Elemental Resistances: Above Average
Physical Resistances: Above Average
Control Resistances: Above Average
Penetration: Above Average

Aaaaaand Kyuu made a succubus.
She's not a succubus xD

That skill is there to be accurate to the Myth, I don't plan on ever using it because it has too many drawbacks in the long-term.
Would this include Marcus? His Legend is Raphael the Archangel, and I don't know about you but I think the Christian Archangels are pretty dang Holy.
Yea, he would indeed count as Holy. The exact myth states that pious monks could see through their disguises, so anything in that realm would be considered holy.

Fire Mana

Previously Top_Smug_
She's not a succubus xD

That skill is there to be accurate to the Myth, I don't plan on ever using it because it has too many drawbacks in the long-term.

Yea, he would indeed count as Holy. The exact myth states that pious monks could see through their disguises, so anything in that realm would be considered holy.

I know she's not lmao

I know the myth, I just thought it was funny that you made sure to include it

The gang will likely appear in a few more posts. It has four power players.

The general goal of this arc is to take out those four without getting yourselves or any of the other students shot, killed, maimed, etc.

Some of the Gang's myths are more obscure and other not so much. I don't wanna reveal all their abilities immediately, so I'll use this post as a platform for a type of guessing game. Clues will be provided to assist your guessing, and if each thing you manage to guess correctly will be revealed here. Feel free to make wild guesses, or to wait until the gang members actually appear in the RP itself.

Ask as many questions as you'd like, but I don't promise to answer all of them ~ ♥

================================================================

The White Viper
William (Legendkin: Hou Yi)

The Legendary sun-shooting Hero from Chinese Mythology. In Chinese mythology, there were 10 suns. Initially, the 10 suns would cross the sky one by one, but one day all 10 suns came out at once scorching the earth. Hou Yi was tasked by the mythical King Yao to rein in the suns. Hou Yi first tried to reason with the suns. When that didn't work, he then pretended to shoot at them with his bow to intimidate them. When the suns again refused to heed Hou Yi's warnings, he began to shoot at them one by one. With his bow in hand, he felled 9 of the 10 suns, only stopping after the Sun's mother and King Yao pleaded with him to leave one sun behind to allow humans to prosper.

The way of the Archer(Passive): Grants innate expertise with archery.

Falling Moon, Sinking Star(Active): A full-powered shot with the power to fell stars.
Monster Slayer(Passive): Grants bonus damage against monstrous Myths or Legends.

Devilish Charisma(Passive): Revered as a Hero yet Feared as a Tyrant; it takes a special kind of charisma to inspire both love and hate. Grants a morale boost to allies while demoralizing enemies.
Grants bonus damage against Sun-based legends and myths.
Force

Power: Extremely High

Strength: Average

Defense

Toughness: Average

Resilience: Average

Dexterity

Speed: Average

Agility: Very High

Quickness: High

Energy

Constitution: Above Average

Stamina: Above Average

Endurance: Average

Tenacity

Elemental Resistances: Average

Physical Resistances: Average

Control Resistances: Average

Penetration: Average

Parsia
Type: ???
Myth/Legend: ???
Clues: ???

Aladd

Samson

================================================================
@~Patriot~ is banned from guessing, but everyone else can feel free to try their luck~
I have a strong suspicion that Samson is based on the giant Antaeus from Greek mythology

I have a strong suspicion that Samson is based on the giant Antaeus from Greek mythology
wew, one shot one kill.

Samson (Antaeus | Legendkin)
Skills

Mother Earth's Embrace (Passive): Physical damage is redirected towards the ground so long as the user remains in contact with the ground.

Earth's Blessing (Passive): Force and Defense are increased when in contact with the ground.

Nature's Blessing (Passive): Stamina recovers faster when in contact with the ground.

Stomp (Active): The user’s stops can cause mini-quakes.

Ocean shifter (Active): User can generate a wave of water from their body.
*Can only be used after Stomp.

Bear Hug (Active): Death-inducing bear hug.

Herculean Terror (Passive): The Legend of Heracles inspires fear in the user.

Stats

Force

Power: Very High

Strength: Very High

Defense

Resilience: Extremely High

Dexterity

Speed: Extremely Low

Agility: Extremely Low

Quickness: Extremely Low

Energy

Constitution: Average

Stamina: Very High

Endurance: Extremely High

Tenacity

Physical Resistances: Extremely High

Penetration: Extremely Low

Samson is the last of the 'easy' myths though. The other two are for more...niche. I will, however, say that Parsia is a Persian Myth while Aladd is Egyptian.

wew, one shot one kill.

Samson (Antaeus | Legendkin)
Skills

Mother Earth's Embrace (Passive): Physical damage is redirected towards the ground so long as the user remains in contact with the ground.

Earth's Blessing (Passive): Force and Defense are increased when in contact with the ground.

Nature's Blessing (Passive): Stamina recovers faster when in contact with the ground.

Stomp (Active): The user’s stops can cause mini-quakes.

Ocean shifter (Active): User can generate a wave of water from their body.
*Can only be used after Stomp.

Bear Hug (Active): Death-inducing bear hug.

Herculean Terror (Passive): The Legend of Heracles inspires fear in the user.

Stats

Force

Power: Very High

Strength: Very High

Defense

Resilience: Extremely High

Dexterity

Speed: Extremely Low

Agility: Extremely Low

Quickness: Extremely Low

Energy

Constitution: Average

Endurance: Extremely High

Tenacity

Physical Resistances: Extremely High

Penetration: Extremely Low
Patriot's edit helped a lot, though he attempted a small diversion by making it sound like Samson was one out of many. What are the limits of Bear Hug? It seems pretty freaking strong

Patriot's edit helped a lot, though he attempted a small diversion by making it sound like Samson was one out of many. What are the limits of Bear Hug? It seems pretty freaking strong
Well the only person to have survived a wrestling match with Antaeus was Heracles...

In the context of the role play though, it would be dependent on your character's Force and Defense stars. Catherine, for example, would get snapped like a twig. Neither her Force nor Defense are high enough to resist that kind of hug.

As a counter-measure Samson is pretty slow in the dexterity area, so most people really shouldn't get caught, On the off-chance that you do get caught then you'd probably want another character to assist you in getting out.

Well the only person to have survived a wrestling match with Antaeus was Heracles...

In the context of the role play though, it would be dependent on your character's Force and Defense stars. Catherine, for example, would get snapped like a twig. Neither her Force nor Defense are high enough to resist that kind of hug.

As a counter-measure Samson is pretty slow in the dexterity area, so most people really shouldn't get caught, On the off-chance that you do get caught then you'd probably want another character to assist you in getting out.
'Pretty slow'. Samson is the slowest one around so far, with Extremely Low in the dexterity area. Given Orm's insane defense and impressive Force, I think it's decently safe to say that they can take each other on. I just need to find that counter....

Samson is the counter lel. I just needed something to tie Orm down while the others brawl it out.
Samson is the counter? One, great guess on my part. Second, although I can see how he can transfer physical damage to the ground and thus outlast Orm, how would that work with his venom? And I am pretty sure Orm can constrict him whilst lifting him off the ground.

Is Aladd male or female by the way?

Last edited:
Samson is the counter? One, great guess on my part. Second, although I can see how he can transfer physical damage to the ground and thus outlast Orm, how would that work with his venom? And I am pretty sure Orm can constrict him whilst lifting him off the ground.

Is Aladd male or female by the way?
Aladd is male and this is still easy mode. Although it's very possible to get seriously hurt in the battle, I had no intention of sifting through myths to find specific counters for individuals. More so I needed Myths with the capacity to keep people in check. Hou yi ensures Quetzalcoatl doesn't have free-reign, while also outputting enough damage to overcome the pseudo-immortality of the lives of Vampires, Reapers, etc.

Antaeus is really strong so he can tie down Jorm who's also really strong. How the fight goes is an issue for @~Patriot~ and yourself to work out.
@kyuukestu

Hold on, I just read the post with Parsia... is she a Simurgh?
You missed it by like...literal inches. She's not a Simurgh, but she's something pretty closely related to it. I'd say focus on the fact that she floats; that's to say she never touches the ground.

Aladd is male and this is still easy mode. Although it's very possible to get seriously hurt in the battle, I had no intention of sifting through myths to find specific counters for individuals. More so I needed Myths with the capacity to keep people in check. Hou yi ensures Quetzalcoatl doesn't have free-reign, while also outputting enough damage to overcome the pseudo-immortality of the lives of Vampires, Reapers, etc.

Antaeus is really strong so he can tie down Jorm who's also really strong. How the fight goes is an issue for @~Patriot~ and yourself to work out.

You missed it by like...literal inches. She's not a Simurgh, but she's something pretty closely related to it. I'd say focus on the fact that she floats; that's to say she never touches the ground.
I might be able to sniff Aladd out, and I am totally ready to have some Shadow of the Colossus stuff!

Aladd needs to show something of himself, since I can't possibly list off all of the Egyptian myths because there's a ton and some fuse to create new ones.

Is Parsia the Huma/Homa?

Last edited:
I might be able to sniff Aladd out, and I am totally ready to have some Shadow of the Colossus stuff!

Aladd needs to show something of himself, since I can't possibly list off all of the Egyptian myths because there's a ton and some fuse to create new ones.

Is Parsia the Huma/Homa?
Bingo on Parsia~

Parsia (Huma bird | Mythickin)

Skills

Bird of Paradise (Cluster Skill)

Shadow of Good Fortune (Passive): Increases luck of anyone who happens to step into her shadow.

Curse of the Huma (Passive): Curses those who defeat her to misfortune.

Shrouded in Myth (Active): Allows total invisibility for 3 seconds.
*20 Second Cooldown

Ruler of the Skies (Cluster Skill)
Throne of Clouds (Passive): User perpetually levitates and is unable to come into contact with the ground through their own means.

Eagle-eyed (Passive): Grants eagle-like vision.

From Birth to Flight (Passive): Grants a gift for flying and aerial maneuverability.

Myth Source: **

It is said that this unique bird spends its entire life in the high sky. It gets down on to the ground only to feed on bones. It breeds in the sky and lays eggs when in the air. The eggs start falling down traveling at great speed towards the land. Before the eggs hit the ground they hatch in the air and in the chick's downward journey it develops its eyes. On reaching the vicinity of the earth, the chick becomes consciousness. It gives out a shrill cry with the fear of dashing to the ground to encounter death. It stabilizes its movement and takes flight upwards towards its safest sanctuary, its mother.

Fire Manipulation (Active)
Grants fire manipulation...duh

Force
Power
: High

Defense
Toughness
: Above Average

Dexterity
Speed
Agility: High

Energy
Constitution
: Very High

Tenacity
Elemental Resistances
: Average
Penetration: Very High

Fire Mana

Previously Top_Smug_
Bingo on Parsia~

Skills

Shadow of Good Fortune (Passive): Increases luck of anyone who happens to step into her shadow.

*20 Second Cooldown

Throne of Clouds (Passive): User perpetually levitates and is unable to come into contact with the ground through their own means.

From Birth to Flight (Passive): Grants a gift for flying and aerial maneuverability.

It is said that this unique bird spends its entire life in the high sky. It gets down on to the ground only to feed on bones. It breeds in the sky and lays eggs when in the air. The eggs start falling down traveling at great speed towards the land. Before the eggs hit the ground they hatch in the air and in the chick's downward journey it develops its eyes. On reaching the vicinity of the earth, the chick becomes consciousness. It gives out a shrill cry with the fear of dashing to the ground to encounter death. It stabilizes its movement and takes flight upwards towards its safest sanctuary, its mother.

Force
Power

Defense
Toughness

Dexterity
Speed

Energy
Constitution

Tenacity
Elemental Resistances

Ah damn... I really was close lmao

Bingo on Parsia~

Skills

*20 Second Cooldown

Force
Power

Defense
Toughness

Dexterity
Speed

Energy
Constitution

Tenacity
Elemental Resistances
Curse of the Huma huh? Sounds interesting, I assume that it lasts the whole RP?