• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Oddest Things in the Pokemon World

In general just their quotes really, in our oldest two generations we've had just statements about random things and then we must go into battle with the most epic music!
"I like shorts because they're comfy" BATTLE COMMENCING!!! I mean... whaaa? I'm sure there's probably 2 whole pages of this kinda rant.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do the characters you meet in "dungeons" get as far as they get without using HM's (i.e., why is it that Team Galactic and your rival can get up to the Spear Pillar in Pearl/Diamond/Platinum without HM's)?

Here's am odd one that takes thinking.

Did you know that Pacifidlog Town is built upon colonies of Corsola? I understand that there are probably some real life towns built upon coral, but in the Pokemon Universe, Coral is Corsola. They are living things, so how do they stand it?

The fact that you do not hear about a GIRL who kicked Team Rocket's butt. I mean, seriously? That is a discrimination of girls! ... Nah... But I still think they could have made it so if you pick a girl in HG/SS, you actually fight Leaf on Mt. Silver. It would make more sense.

The fact that you can't decline a battle. In anime, if Ash begs Paul/Gary/whoever else, they can just say "NO YOU LITTLE KID! GET LOST!". If they can do it, why can't we?

That's all I can think of right now.

Yeah, but then how does it dive down to deal damage? If it popped its balloons, it would hit the ground and injure itself.

Also, how do ground-type moves hit the Magnemite family? They obviously float above the ground. How does that makes sense?

Foxy said:
The oddest thing in the Pokemon world for me? Skitty and Wailord...how those two breed is beyond me. Why they're even able to is as well. Cats and whales are two completely different animals, the only thing similar in the two is that they're mammals. How and why...I'm not sure if I even want to know.
skaraflame said:
I guess Skitty climbs into Wailord's mouth and... does its thing...

halolz-dot-com-pokemon-wailord-datass.jpg

I'm horrible, I know.

---

Now one thing I really wonder about is; is the Champion, like, the governor? Are they who keeps order in their respective regions? How is the region even stable with just one official? I mean, yeah, everyone has the means to defend themselves, but how come the world is so orderly without some form of leadership?

Yeah, but then how does it dive down to deal damage? If it popped its balloons, it would hit the ground and injure itself.
Um... Last time I checked, thunder can come from clouds. So you can deal damage from the air.
And in the anime, Fly was just going up, and ramming the opponent.

But what I DON'T get is how Zangoose/Seviper breed. I mean they are sworn enemies! How do they breed?!

Zangoose and Seviper can breed? I did not know this...Not only are they sworn enemies but ones a mongoose/cat ferrit thing and the other ones a snake. That doesn't make sense at all either.

I dunno, I always thought they'd sit around sleeping or having coffee or something in a breakroom until they hear they have another challenger, then they go back to their posts.

Thepokemontrainer said:
And do the Elite4 ever leave the place? They can't stand there all day.
Actually, in FireRed/LeafGreen, the Elite Four do leave the league to visit the Sevii Islands.

Also, why is it that you can summon any Pokemon, including Fire-, Rock-, and Ground-Types, on water during a battle. Wouldn't the heavier Pokemon sink and drown.

Speaking of which, everyone knows that if the flame on a Chamander's tail goes out, it dies, yet if you bring it underwater in the Hoenn games, it doesn't die. Why?

I always envisioned Charmander and its brethren wearing a glass bubble around their flames, with some kind of tech insert that caused it to ask as a respirator for the flame. But, that ain't canon, so it doesn't count.

Well, I do believe once, in the anime, Charizard's tail was once submerged in water, but was able to stay alive thanks to Team Rocket throwing rocks at him. Perhaps the water is deadly, but sheer will power controls whether it goes out or not. Either that, or, and this may seem odd, but perhaps the flame works like a second pair of lungs. I mean, both the body and fire require oxygen, so perhaps....Well never mind. Then that makes you wonder how the trainer can stay underwater....

But so not to go off topic, I've often wondered how Skuntank can use Flamethrower. Now now, before we go all gross, I know that the methane it produces could help, but there has to be a heat source to make it light.

The thing I always thought about was the fact that almost everyone in Team Rocket and all these other evil teams look exactly the same. It's just kind of strange...

burnkirby said:
You think a Linnone with Surf is weird? How about a Pikachu with fly?!?! How the heck does Pikachu get up in the air to use fly?
In the new B/W theme song, you see Pikachu flying in the air with Reshiram/Zekrom. No balloons. No anything. Just flying. :o

Thepokemontrainer said:
In the new B/W theme song, you see Pikachu flying in the air with Reshiram/Zekrom. No balloons. No anything. Just flying. :o
Maybe he jumped or something. Or Pikachu=Superhero?

burnkirby said:
Can you imagine a person riding a flying Pikachu? That would be the weirdest thing ever...

That reminds me... How in the hell do Doduo and Dodrio learn and use fly? Is it remotely similar to this technique but with its heads?
032sonic2.jpg

I'm sorry, I have to rant this off, I just watched the episode for the first time against the 3 on 3 pokemon gym battle in the new region, here's some things that pissed me off and please excuse the language:
1) Who the hell does Iris think she is? I understand she's the 8th gym leader but still, she doesn't know Ash, so by pointing out things that "So he actually thought this thing through", just because he is a dunce here and there HE HAS FUCKING EXPERIENCE!

2) Pikachu is a little bitch, he manages to knock out Brock in his re-match when he shouldn't even be ABLE to ON HIS OWN then he dominates so many enemies, then in each region, he still proves to be a weak little fuck by losing to each fucking gym?! He lost to Roark when by now he should've just wiped the floor with him, he's THE FIRST FUCKING GYM LEADER! I understand, bring out the challenge, BUT HE'S STILL THE FIRST FUCKING GYM LEADER, think about if the games had that level of a gym leader as your first, he'd be up in the level 80s, you wouldn't be able to beat him, so if two experienced trainers can barely beat him what hope is there for the beginners?! I understand, challenge the bastard but fuck, he starts off with only Pikachu in each region, at least have him believe to use ONLY THOSE HE CAUGHT in that region, then it's more believable but to put Pikachu to lose by a simple series of water guns in this new region?! COME ON! If you refuse to let the main character go on without his original pokemon, use a new guy!

3) Why is there always some sudden/fast motion sound effects when they aren't moving fast?! I just saw Ash step forward but they add the dash effect as if he just jumped across a building top or used Quick Attack, what gives?!

4) Why the hell does the 1ST FUCKING GYM HAVE MOVES LIKE SOLARBEAM IN THEIR ARSENAL?!

52Crossroads

Formerly Gya
on the very first episode of the anime, the narrator says,"...ten year old, ash ketchum..."
in the diamond/pearl series of the anime it says, and i quote, "...three years after he began his journey, ash..."
then in the new series, black and white, it says "...ten year old ash ketchum..."
the hell? some random time loop thing? or are the creators horrible at math?

My theory as an avid science student is that pokemon get changed to plasma in the light beam and are carried as such and get chilled on the way out hence the animes blue beam sometimes

Gya said:
on the very first episode of the anime, the narrator says,"...ten year old, ash ketchum..."
in the diamond/pearl series of the anime it says, and i quote, "...three years after he began his journey, ash..."
then in the new series, black and white, it says "...ten year old ash ketchum..."
the hell? some random time loop thing? or are the creators horrible at math?

Maybe Ash discovered the fountain of youth?

Also, how does Wailord use bounce? It's one of the heaviest Pokemon in the game! I find that very odd....

The fact that once you've used an Escape Rope it magically dissapears. I mean, surely a 'strong and durable rope' could be used more then once! Also, why is it the grunts of organizations like Team Rocket or Team Galactic always give you the item you need just by beating them in a Pokemon battle?! (to quote 300) THIS IS MADNESS

"Nobody knows where Pokemon Eggs come from."
"Oh, I don't know how it got here, but your Pokemon had an Egg!"

So, is this what professors and breeders tell young trainers about Baby Pokemon before the get the "Pidgeys and the Beedrill" speech from Dad (who is absent in all but the Hoenn games).

SpinzTheMighty said:
The fact that once you've used an Escape Rope it magically dissapears. I mean, surely a 'strong and durable rope' could be used more then once! Also, why is it the grunts of organizations like Team Rocket or Team Galactic always give you the item you need just by beating them in a Pokemon battle?! (to quote 300) THIS IS MADNESS
Well, how come it takes an amateur such as the main character in the game series to take down such a huge evil organization such as Team whatever every time? How come it's not those who have been training their guys from long before you such as Red later on to take down such evil? Like how come the adults also suck? I understand you'll run into those who just suck to begin with, but over all, how come every other trainer sucks except those in Victory Road (self explanatory), and your rival(s)?

VentusVictory said:
"Nobody knows where Pokemon Eggs come from."
"Oh, I don't know how it got here, but your Pokemon had an Egg!"

So, is this what professors and breeders tell young trainers about Baby Pokemon before the get the "Pidgeys and the Beedrill" speech from Dad (who is absent in all but the Hoenn games).

I think this is true. xD

Remember, the main characters of every game are supposed to be ten years old, an age at which they apparently don't know the 'Pidgey's and the Beedrills' talk, as Ventus puts it.

Phanes; It depends on your definition of sucky Trainers. Every once in a while, a quite annoying Trainer pops up, with type advantages, for example. The main character almost constantly trains his PokeMon, so they get strong, while a random Trainer's PokeMon have a set level. And of course, if your PokeMon are overleveled, every Trainer seems sucky.

Salamence Commander said:
Male Gardevoirs and male Gothitelles... nuff said.

Why can't they be male? In our world, there are male poodles, male peacocks, and male flamingos :p
Just because they look girly in our eyes doesn't mean that they look girly in the eyes of Pokemon.