• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Oddest Things in the Pokemon World

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
The thing that I always say about the anime is as follows... THEY ARE NOT CANON TO THE GAMES.

Simple as that. The anime repeatedly disobeys the very laws of nature from the games because they feel like it. So just remember that when you question things in the anime based off of game logic. The two just don't match up really at all. :T

That still doesnt explain why pikachu isnt higher leveled like pokekid said. I agree with pokekid cause remember when ash got charmander then evolved it to charmeleon and charizard? Charizard didnt obey him at all cause he was really high leveled and ash didnt have all the gym badges at the time. Notice how he got them he started to obey?

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Notice how when Ash had all eight badges Charizard still didn't obey him? Yeah. Hole in your logic there. Charizard didn't start to obey Ash till far after the Kanto arc.

The Charizard example was them trying to put a game mechanic into the show, but also developing the personality of Ash's Pokemon.

And as for Pikachu; yes, it should be stronger. Every new season they make Pikachu look as weak as can be when (even through show logic) he should crush all of the weak Pokemon it battles. But there are NO LEVELS in the anime.

another odd thing about the anime is in the opening for advance battle, up to a certern episode ( witch i have no idea) there is a scene where it shows mew pass by lucario who is in a tree, did anyone see a episode with lucario in it and this is before the movie with him came out becase the movie takes place during the end of that session near the beginig of the battle froniter. to be percist the movie takes place after a real cleffa hanger. way after the opening crawl for advance battle dispoesd of that scene.
also,i was just watching the episode i metioned above and something came across my mind, now if someone has metiond this weird fact im sorry, but........How on Isshu is brocks mother alive, when in the indigo series they said she was dead!!!!???

Lucario's apperance in the Advanced Battle Opening was for the same reason as his appaearance in the Japanese Battle Frontier Opening: To promote the eventual premiere of the Lucario movie. It isn't that apparent, but there's also a little scene where Team Rocket is dancing and a Weavile dashes past them, catching them by surprise. While the dub has done this once so far, the anime has done this several times, such as with the opening directly after Battle Frontier, showing off Jack Walker, the protagonist of the Manaphy Movie.

Also, Advanced Battle uses footage from two openings in the anime, one before Ash competes in the Hoenn League (Pokemon Symphonic Medley) and another afterwards where he competes in the Battle Frontier (Battle Frontier) This is because Advanced Battle covers episodes from Ash getting his 7th badge all the way to episodes where he battles Nolan in the Battle Factory.

With regards to Brock, it's a little something called retroactive continuity, or retocn for short. The first season of Pokemon had a lot of lulzy moments in it, such as Pokemon learning attacks that didn't exist back then (like Tickle on Bulbasaur) or Pokemon that learned attacks they shouldn't be able to use at all (Again, Bulbasaur using Whirlwind) If you'll remember, there are also irl animals existing in the Pokemon world back in Season 1 (non-pokemon fish in Cerulean city and the mention of musk rats, cows and other such creatures) because there weren't enough Pokemon to merit them being the only animal species on the planet. In Brock's case, his claim that his mother died is something the anime likes to forget in lieu of introducing new elements to the plot. Besides, he only says this in the dub. The anime explains the lack of his mother about as much as Ash's lack of a father.

Others also theorize Brock said his mother was dead out of spite for the fact that she doesn't return home until the Pokemon Chronicles episode focused on her and her family. Personally, I theorize his biological mother is indeed deceased, and Lola is actually his stepmother. She has little resemblance to her kin and all :V

How come you can't catch a pokemon asleep?! They don't know what the heck is going on around them nor can they fight back so how in the heck can they break out with such ease? They roll around in their sleep that much?!
Then there goes paralyzed as well, if they're paralyzed why can they still break out and run away or fight back?!
What about when the general pokemon are confused?! How come they SAY you have 50% chance of hurting yourself and another 50 for hurting them but the opponent's pokemon rarely hurt themselves! Only the wild pokemon have a better chance in hurting themselves and that's to avoid being caught I swear it!

4ce27cd8_befe_5a98.jpg

Yeah...

Theres tons more but I do love this one particularly

Rumar said:
How come you can't catch a pokemon asleep?! They don't know what the heck is going on around them nor can they fight back so how in the heck can they break out with such ease? They roll around in their sleep that much?!

Let me answer this one with another question:

If you were asleep and you were tackled, cut, or hit in the face with water, then be forced into a Pokeball, wouldn't you try to break out and then enjoy the rest of your sleep as well?

I think it's really weird that up until HG/SS, the nurses at the Pokemon Centers would say "Hope to see you again!".

It's like they're hoping your Pokemon get hurt... -_o

Yeah, I totally agree, that is weird.
And did you notice how, if you use Cut on a tree, walk in a door and walk out, the tree grew back?
And how in the anime, pokemon can use moves like Hyper Beam and then another attack, whilst in the game they have to rest?
Wait a second! You know Wailord, right? How does it fit inside someplace like Silph co. and USE SURF. How does the building not get flooded?
Oh, and how does Thunder Wave hit a Ground type? How does Magnemite/Magnezone get hit my Magnitude?
And why are all the Pokecenters nurses all named "Joy" and all the police officers named "Jenny"??
Are there any REAL ANIMALS? I once heard Ash talking about catfish once. That must be how they get Hamburgers/Hotdogs/Other meat products. If they were actually slaughtering the pokemon (Miltank, Grumpig, and so on.), then I would become a Vegetarian at once.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it odd that Pokemon evolve in order to survive and grow stronger - but legendaries are so strong that they don't need to evolve. However, there are some normal Pokemon who don't evolve and quite a lot of them have pretty rubbish stats. Hopefully Dunsparce will get an evolution soon, otherwise it'll get eaten by a Houndoom or something.

The most oddest thing would have to be...

A ten year old Pokemon Trainer can catch a 1000 year old Legendary Pokemon with a Pokeball.

You'd figure the legendary would kill you if you even decided to attack it..

Where is your Dad in the games because in only in one region do you have a dad?
Who's Ash's Dad?
Why do some houses have no beds for people to sleep?
What type of goverment do the region's have and where are the Political buildings located?

I found this in the HG/SS games.

The Copycat girl, after you get her the Clefairy Doll and get the Magnet Train, At the end of her dialogue she says "Its a scream!"

Nightmare before Christmas reference anyone? Or Sunflora (Explorers of Sky, Time, and Darkness) reference? O_O

Waterspirrit said:
Who's Ash's Dad?
What type of goverment do the region's have and where are the Political buildings located?
I would lmfao if the pokemon world was ruled by smoochums and jynxs. But i think that ashes dad is blaine based on the way he treats you so nicley in leaf green. Probably rong but u never Know!!!!!!

Wild Pokemon - When you defeat them, do you just leave them there to die or do they get teleported away somewhere, healed and released again.

Food - People grow trees and feed their Pokemon as much as they like. Do they actually eat themselves, at all? And Pokemon like Mightyena and Arbok, who are carnivores, don't, when you catch them, have any meat at all, and are forced to eat veg!

Snorlax - If you breed a female Snorlax and something, the egg produced will hatch into a full sized Snorlax!!

The Journey - Professor Oak/Elm/Birch/Rowan sends you on a quest to obtain 8 badges and complete a Pokedex. Isn't this just a bit dangerous? Massive legendary dragons which can destroy worlds in the hands of children?! What if a Hyper Beam misses and hits the trainer behind? They could be crippled for life!!

EDIT: If Pokemon are named after what they say, then shouldn't Beedrill actually be called Sfee? (You know, like in the anime, Beedrill say the oh-so-annoying 'Sfeeeeee!')

Waterspirrit said:
Who's Ash's Dad?

Well, I think that these could be compared to how ancient tribes behaved in the past. THe mother was seen more as a caregiver, while the father was seen more as a hunter. Same could be mentioned here, with the exception of Norman, who just happens to have a gym two towns over.

Ash's dad....well there have been many theories on this. One I saw was that Ash's dad died when he was little. Another claims that Drake, the Orange Island Champion, could be his dad. Another says that he is hunting Mew, which I would think to be odd since they never mention it, and one more, which could be plausible, says that Giovani is Ash's dad. Well, it kinda makes since, considering that they have technically never met (movies don't count as cannon, otherwise they would recognize a Lugiah when they see it), it could be the writers way of keeping it secret. Plus, Silver, or "Kyle", as the anime says, could be Ash's brother, which I could see, seeing as Delium has a reddish tint to her hair. But remember, this is the Anime. For all we know Ash could be the result of a test tube project gone weird.

Well.....you got me there. THey could use futons or mats, which is portable. Or they could also have fold out beds (Like couches, or even the ones in the fricken wall 0_0).

As far as I can tell, things seem to be pretty Democrotized, seeing as there is a lot of freedom. It also seems that the Emancipation age for kids is 10 to 15, so it's kinda hard to tell. Obviously it's a different kind of government from our world, otherwise no kid would get away with beating an officer's dog in a literal dog fight. Either that, or they wouldn't just let those Galactic buildings go unnoticed. As far as I'm conscerned, I think the law is pretty lax, considering that they'll let a kid handle things as long as they have strong pokemon.

Now, as far as those wondering about the food... well I hate to burst your bubble, but just like in our world, no animal is just lovey dovey. I would guess that, like in our world, they too kill certain animals to eat meat. Pokedex entries and the Sinnoh Myths themselves prove that you can eat a Pokemon. However I would imagine that not many people eat meat in the Pokemon world, considering that Pokemon seem to have a higher conscious, maybe about that of a house hold dog, and are easily befriended.

Now, while I'm at it, I'll chart one up: If Pokemon are legendary, the how did the ancient people responsible for documenting them now they even exhisted at all? While I'm at it, When people fly in Space Shuttles, how come Raquaza just doesn't blow them up? And, when talking to random people in Azalea town, a girl says that before Pokeballs existed, people used Apricorns. How did that work? How the hell can a fruit catch a full grown dinosaur-like creature (example: CHarizard, TYranitar, etc.)

Now that last one made no sense. That's like saying if God is really a God, how is it that the Bible was written?

They appeared in ancient times. Seriously, it's said in just about every Pokemon game. That or they were created, like Mewtwo.

I find it odd that in the same region, Pokemon are only available in different versions of the game... like Mr. Mime found in Diamond on the routes Sudowoodo is in Pearl. It's the same route; why can't Mr. Mime and Sudowoodo just get along?

Well, after looking through the games wiki, I have some other oddities. Dodrio, of all Pokemon can fly right? THis is also the same with Genosecto, surprisingly. That is weird, considering it doesn't have wings. That's not what I'm getting at. Look at Kurimugan.

BW_Fr_621.png

You see those things growing out of his back, right? They're wings. Yet, ironically, even though pokemon like Starly, Dodrio, and even Genosecto can fly, this guy CANNOT FLY. Seriously, wtf was Game Freak thinking? Want to know who else can fly?

BW_Fr_623.png

Goruggo of all Pokemon. This thing looks like it has trouble moving around, yet he can fly? Don't get me wrong, They are still awesome in my book, but you can't help but wonder why they would take such an illogical approach to this.

Another thing is how does the pokeball containment system work? In both the anime and Console games, it shows them coming out as beams of light. How do they just turn matter into light like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
While doing my Nuzlocke challenge on Soul Silver, I talked to this guy who was talking about the GIRL gym leader. He said:
'Wow, that gym leader Whitney is great! I want to be like him!''
...Creepy.

Louie Forest said:
While doing my Nuzlocke challenge on Soul Silver, I talked to this guy who was talking about the GIRL gym leader. He said:
...Creepy.

I lol'd

I only have one, but here it is! Who leaves item balls around? Why? Why would anyone stick an item in a pokeball, and leave it on the ground? Also, you don't get to keep the pokeball. It's weird!

Out of all the oddities in the Pokemon world, one always really, really bugged me. No matter what town or route you're on, you can always go up to some random perspn's house and walk right in. And no one does anything. They just say "Oh hi there random stranger who just walked out of the woods want some pie?" (well not really, but you et the idea) No one locks their doors or anything. If some random guy walked into my house, the first thing I'd do is go for the gun.

lmao, about the walking in strangers houses.
The fact is, its a game. Sometimes things just dont add up, or are total nonsense. Dosent stop us from playing them. Heres the average pokemon experience:
You are a ten year old, who sets out on a journey to see hundreds of little or huge monsters, who somehow are able to fight with elements/ect. As you journey you will have to invade peoples homes, companies, and storage areas to look for inconvenient items to help you along your journey. You will have things such as a bag which can hold things from berries to bikes. You will travel across the land, including freezing mountains and the blue sea, all while wearing summer clothes. You will have to face evil gangs that somehow are able to be defeated by a ten year old. Others will have stronger pokemon, but if you beat them they will run away instead of just beating the crap of the lone ten year old and making a break with whatever dastardly plan they set out to accomplish. You will see many giant creatures, though usually from legends, and will be able to capture them. Just like Bigfoot. Once you do all this you are left completely alone with all these accomplishments, until another world opens up: for 30 dollars you can do it all over again! :D
Then again...dosent stop me from loving it. Go figure. lol

I've read quite a few posts about how a Pokemon could fit in a PokeBall, how Pokemon are transferred to the PC system instantly if you already have six Pokemon in your Party, and other things like that. My explanation for such oddities is this: the Pokemon realm is supoose to be futuristic!

It's no tricked out sci-fi adventure where you roam through space at light-speed, but Pokemon is probably more futuristic than we probably realize. The Pokemon world has small devices for turning Pokemon into energy for storage, video-phones, hovercrafts, devices that can transfer a person's feelings to a Pokemon and temporaily control them, teleporters, and many other futuistic mechanics.

Getting back on topic, I have wondered why people just allow you to waltz right into their houses. No one ever seems to mind a random traveler to bust open the door and walk around. In fact, some people will even give you items for coming into their homes. What the heck is up with that? Also, why are there houses with NO doors on them? Do construction workers think it's funny to construct homes that can't be entered or exited? Or do people simply like being trapped inside or outside their homes? Also, why are there cities and towns with only 8 or 9 buildings? Those aren't even cities/towns. They're more like villages.

burnkirby2011 said:
Another thing I find odd about the Pokemon world is that there can be female Mr. Mimes! That's all I can think of at the moment. . .

Not really unusual, given Mr. Mime's original Japanese name doesn't brand it as being a male critter. It was probably dubbed as a Mr. Mime to go with Jynx?

RX said:
burnkirby2011 said:
Another thing I find odd about the Pokemon world is that there can be female Mr. Mimes! That's all I can think of at the moment. . .

Not really unusual, given Mr. Mime's original Japanese name doesn't brand it as being a male critter. It was probably dubbed as a Mr. Mime to go with Jynx?

Plus, Mr. Mime was named before genders were introduced...

1. Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova are all island on Gallifrey (probably). Doctor Who fans will get this.
2. I lost once. Jk, Ash is a pimp and he's 10.
3. May and Dawn are also 10 and Brock, a 17 year old perv, travels with them. Pedophilia anyone?
4. Jenny's entire family, for some reason, all became police officers. Oddly enough, one is always on patrol in a different town then the other.
5. Joy's entire family, for some reason, all became nurses. Oddly enough, one works in a different town then the other and always has a Chansey.
6. Just what exactly is Munna?
7. When Ash started, it took him about a year to beat every gym leader and lose in the Pokémon League. In Sinnoh, where there was less Pokémon and he knew a lot more, it took him around 4 years.
8. Pikachu is Ash's strongest Pokémon, being his starter in Kanto, but somehow is less powerful than his newest...

That's all I have. Oh, Mr.Mime can still be female.

The oddest thing in the Pokemon world for me? Skitty and Wailord...how those two breed is beyond me. Why they're even able to is as well. Cats and whales are two completely different animals, the only thing similar in the two is that they're mammals. How and why...I'm not sure if I even want to know.

Louie Forest said:
...Creepy.

Haha xD rolled on the floor laughing out loud xD
That darn right is kind of creepy to admit it ....

Well what I don't get about Pokemon is this:

How do Pokemon go in PC boxes ? They're virtual ?
How long do Pokemon live , without getting injured , but by natural cause ?
Why is it that Pokemon moves can't physically hurt the Pokemon ? Cause they look pretty hard-core and violent to me .
So the Pokemon world wants us to be friendly to Pokemon ? Then why do Safari Zones let us throw mud and rocks at them ?
Do Pokemon ever go to the bathroom ?
Is everyone in the Pokemon world vegans ? If not , where does the meat come from if every other living thing is a Pokemon ....?

Why is it that, in HG/SS, Cameron the Photographer goes all the way out to the Ice Path just to take pictures of people? Is he some kind of stalker?