• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Oddest Things in the Pokemon World

Heartgold&Soulsilver: At Pewter museum, the lady at the reception says the bigger exhibitions have gone to different museums -which ones??- Sure, thats all jolly and everything, but how did the upstairs disappear?! How is that even possible for that to happen while outside its exactly the same size? Ugh....

The Ghost X Psychic relationship problems in the first two generations.

In the GI games Red and Blue Ghost where unable to harm Psychic types, yet a guy in the game said The best options agents Psychic type Pokemon where Bug and Ghost which was pointed out int he original season of the anime when Ash went agents Sabrina "Hunter" was his trump. In Yellow Version instead of fixing the coding error of the Psychic immunity to Ghost they just removed that guy (although that is reasonable since it would mean issues when battling vs a red or blue version in link battles.)

The issue was a corrected in the generation 2 games but it was again made in the Anime! In the episode Psychic-Sidekicks. It was portrayed that Psychic types where best to fend off the Ghost that roamed the forest near the city. But in logic Ghost should easily take over a city that uses only Psychic Pokemon and only Girafarig unharmed by the Ghost type attacks (do its normal typing- then again that has not stop ghost type attacks from hitting normal types).

Here's some strange things, when a pokemon learns 4 moves, why does it have to forget a move to make room for a new one. That's like saying that you forget how to do a punch because you learned how to use a sword.

Why is everything resolved with pokemon? Couldn't the evil org people just kinda beat the trainer senseless even if they lost. They are supposed to be evil after all.

How does anyone travel by car anywhere? In both the anime and the games only place I've seen a road was in a city and the street seems to just kinda stop once you get to the edge of town.

How does a pokemon use Selfdestruct/Explosion and survive. And now that I think about it, how's someone hit with Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Crunch, Acid, ect and survive? You'd think this would kill them.

I've always wondered how Pokémon gain certain evolutions/pre-volutions ingame, and it doesn't effect the anime. It makes some sence in the games, but in the anime, you have to wonder how nobody had ever evolved a Togetic into Togekiss before Gen 4, tho I do understand it's all to do with the timing of the games themselves. I guess I'm just picky. :p

Kurolegacy said:
Here's some strange things, when a pokemon learns 4 moves, why does it have to forget a move to make room for a new one. That's like saying that you forget how to do a punch because you learned how to use a sword.

Why is everything resolved with pokemon? Couldn't the evil org people just kinda beat the trainer senseless even if they lost. They are supposed to be evil after all.

How does anyone travel by car anywhere? In both the anime and the games only place I've seen a road was in a city and the street seems to just kinda stop once you get to the edge of town.

How does a pokemon use Selfdestruct/Explosion and survive. And now that I think about it, how's someone hit with Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Crunch, Acid, ect and survive? You'd think this would kill them.

My guess/answers.

1. A Pokemon probably only has the physical capacity of mastering a certain amount of moves. Think of it as multitasking, and eventually they just can't keep learning all this crap.

2. If Team Rocket went about shooting people they'd all get arrested and (if in America) probably get the death sentence. So it's most likely they do the slightly more 'legal' thing. Maybe.

3. ...Flying cars? :3

4. I guess Pokemon are just resistant to those kind of things. Besides, think of it logicaly. Generaly Geodude and it's chain will have explosion, selfdestruct, whatever. To ensure survival of the species, they would have to withstand a force of that magnitude.

Here's some interesting things:

If Pokemon supposedly die and move on like people, then why is there a Ghost-type at all? Are all Ghost-types dead Pokemon? If so, then would they just not be classified as Pokemon instead of being their own entire type? That puzzled me for the longest time.

Why do all trainers pretty much have no fathers(with the exception of R/S/E)? Is every Pokemon mom going to be a single mom? And in HG/SS, wouldn't your mom only save so much for you? I mean, after you deposit a couple hundred thousand, maybe she might think to pay off her mortgage and bills instead of sending you berries via delivery man.

For some incredibly odd reason, your female rival has NEVER hit on you. Not even once. Considering that these children are just getting into puberty, it surprises me that not even once either of them has thought of the other as something a little more than friends. When you think about it...Leaf and Crystal fail to exist outside of you playing them, May is too obsessed with Pokemon to care, Dawn is a goody-too shoes, and Lyra is oblivious to all things beside her Marill and its constant evolutions.

How come Gym Leaders don't get sick of being constantly beaten by inexperienced ten-year olds? Doesn't it kind of suck to be one of the first Gym Leaders, and have weaker Pokemon compared to your colleagues? I would get pissed eventually after losing again and again to overleveled Starter Pokemon.

Finally, how comes no one speaks out against the capture of Pokemon in the games? Technically there's a million and one animal rights issues in regards to the capture, training and use of Pokemon in the way they're used. In fact, it could almost be considered abusive. But...who can complain to Red and his team of I-WILL-KILL-YOU Pokemon?

Seems like Pokemon make good bodyguards and enforcers along with partners. Maybe there's a reason there's so many of these gangs...

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay. I have a few things. First of all, Charmander. In the anime, it says that if its tail burns out, it dies. Because Pokemon is geared towards all age groups, I understand why they no longer want to include death in anything. In the game, though, a Charmander can be hit with Surf, but not even faint. I'd imagine being hit with a huge wave would drench that fire out.

Kangaskhan. As previously mentioned, how can it give birth to a baby that is already raising a baby of its own? And why doesn't that baby ever grow up? Also, aren't they rather marsupial-looking? I mean, it even has a pouch. Aren't marsupials mammals? Don't mammals give birth to live young? (Spare one or two oddballs, but I digress.)

Now I shall complain about Zubat~ It is eyeless. It can learn a move called mean look. Since when can you look with no eyes? On top of that, it sprouts eyes when it evolves. Something doesn't add up here. How does it hang upside down with no legs? Those stick-things can't possibly be legs. They can't grasp anything with them. So what does it do? I say it flies ass-first into the roof of a cave and impales itself on a stalactite. But that's just me.

In the anime, Slowpoke evolves by letting a Shellder bite its tail. In the game, it must level up. I say you should only be able to evolve Slowpoke if you level it up with a Shellder in your party, but oh, well. I never got how Rock Smash rocks just appear after leaving the cave, either. Do they just fall from the ceiling? If so, why do they fall in the exact same place every time?

Evolving through trade. How does that even work? Does it cause a chemical imbalance? How would an item make a difference? Does the trading process re-arrange their DNA? And how do you get a Porygon? Aren't they just data?

So, there's my two cents. I'll probably be adding more later, though. xD

Hejin said:
Here's some interesting things:

If Pokemon supposedly die and move on like people, then why is there a Ghost-type at all? Are all Ghost-types dead Pokemon? If so, then would they just not be classified as Pokemon instead of being their own entire type? That puzzled me for the longest time.

Why do all trainers pretty much have no fathers(with the exception of R/S/E)? Is every Pokemon mom going to be a single mom? And in HG/SS, wouldn't your mom only save so much for you? I mean, after you deposit a couple hundred thousand, maybe she might think to pay off her mortgage and bills instead of sending you berries via delivery man.

For some incredibly odd reason, your female rival has NEVER hit on you. Not even once. Considering that these children are just getting into puberty, it surprises me that not even once either of them has thought of the other as something a little more than friends. When you think about it...Leaf and Crystal fail to exist outside of you playing them, May is too obsessed with Pokemon to care, Dawn is a goody-too shoes, and Lyra is oblivious to all things beside her Marill and its constant evolutions.

How come Gym Leaders don't get sick of being constantly beaten by inexperienced ten-year olds? Doesn't it kind of suck to be one of the first Gym Leaders, and have weaker Pokemon compared to your colleagues? I would get pissed eventually after losing again and again to overleveled Starter Pokemon.

Finally, how comes no one speaks out against the capture of Pokemon in the games? Technically there's a million and one animal rights issues in regards to the capture, training and use of Pokemon in the way they're used. In fact, it could almost be considered abusive. But...who can complain to Red and his team of I-WILL-KILL-YOU Pokemon?

Seems like Pokemon make good bodyguards and enforcers along with partners. Maybe there's a reason there's so many of these gangs...

Maybe I could come up with a decent reply for this. For the first one, maybe it's because Ghost-type Pokemon just seem so different from other Pokemon. In most Dex entries, and judging on the appearance of several of them, Ghost-type Pokemon usually don't have a physical, solid (or semi-solid) body of its own, which kind of fits ghosts really well: a visible spirit/soul/form/cheeseball/whatever that formerly, or never, had a body of its own.

While I don't have a theory for all the single moms, they're moms; they always seem to supply you with things and ask for little in return. (Not if you met my relatives though.) Plus, it kind of feels pretty awful to just use someone else's hard-earned money when you could probably and easily earn money yourself.
Most girls I know (as well as myself) might want to hit on guys or like them, but with puberty, it's all so confusing and weird etc. Plus, we don't want to be rejected and all that sap. Plus you may be below their standards or they have someone else in mind. (Just kidding.)

Again, I have no answer for the gym leaders. I can only assume that they get paid to pretend to try their best using whatever Pokemon they've been assigned to. The last one is probably what Team Plasma is all about since they're all for separating Pokemon and humans. However, Team Plasma aside, the idea of catching Pokemon is probably much more different than what we think of. Various NPCs talk about how wondrous it is to be with Pokemon and how they're amazing helpers. In turn, there are other NPCs that talk about spoiling their Pokemon. Catching Pokemon for them might just be raising pets for us. They teach moves, we teach tricks. They battle and compete in contests, we compete in competitions and pet shows. They don't view it as abuse, and I'm sure putting Fido in a pink tutu and making him stand on his hind legs while he follows a dog biscuit you're waving pretty cruel and unusual punishment as well.

wow o.o this thread has made me think of the pokemon world!!..
and heres what ive got to say (if not already mentioned)

1. what do the pokemon trainers eat for meat? i mean! do they ever eat a burger? where does the patty come from? o.o do they eat the pokemon? D:

2. the reason i dont watch the anime anymore. Ash doesnt age at all! he looks like hes still 10 whens hes acctually 20 something.. >.>

3. the pokemon gangs >.> seriously! oh noo our pokemon have fainted! lets just give up. i mean they are just defeated by a kid >.> nothing more. nothing less!

4. the whole pokeballs and pokemon storage system. idk >.> it just bothers me.

5. there are no hospitals for ppl. only pokemon. >.> seriously?! D: what if the trainer gets poisoned or something. i dont think a pokemon center well be able to help you out. and on the other note of pokemon center i think ive heard a nurse say please come again.. >.> what?! i dont want to go there becuase that means my pokemons hurt! D: and they want me to come again?@?@

and i have a few more o.o ill post some later :p but even with all these things i still enjoy pokemon ^^

-No human hospitals?
-No cars?
-No limit in your backpack?
-No tireing even after in the game you bike across the entire continent?
-No trainer ever eats?
-No pokemon dies?
-No pokemon lay egg-nope wait...they do.Nevermind...
-No ability to climb up the ledge you just jumped from? Come now, the ledge is roughy, if you were 5'7" like me, 5'5".
-Not able to stop a trainer battle? In the anime you can...

OK I've basically read most of this thread and there is a crapload of odd things stashed in my head but I know for sure I won't remember them all.

For ONE, you know how towards the beginning of the series there were some actual animals? Where the hell did they go?? And if there aren't supposed to be animals then how can they call Pikachu a 'mouse' pokemon without even knowing what a mouse is? and of course the whole issue about how people eat meat....

TWO, the thing with all the Gym Leaders/Elite 4 people, I don't see them getting paid but when they lose they hand over a huge amount of cash. they better be getting paid.

THREE, I don't understand how pokemon are just fine and can easily heal from attacks like fissure or cut. With fissure the pokemon falls into an endless pit....do they just randomly reappear...? And of course cut should ACTUALLY cut them. I don't see any blood -.-;; how are pokemon not dying in the series when obviously pokemon have died before?? ((pokemon tower in Lavender))

FOUR, how does catching a pokemon in a pokeball automatically make them stay with you forever? How does winning a Badge make a pokemon who wouldn't previously obey suddenly answer your every request?

uggh so much more I could add but I can't think of anything else at the moment. I'll add later

If your on a pokemon, when surfing, wouldn't it just kick you off too battle?

Why cant just hop over fences, too? There, like, 2 feet tall.

Anothere thing, why is it when your 10 freakin years old, your mom lets you travel across the globe ON YOUR OWN. Some caring that is.

krysune said:
TWO, the thing with all the Gym Leaders/Elite 4 people, I don't see them getting paid but when they lose they hand over a huge amount of cash. they better be getting paid.

i think they get the money from the kids they beat

http://files.sharenator.com/39_Free_Healthcare_Pokemon_Vgcats_Comic_Extras-s530x627-63613-580.gif

Does that answer your question, Kwi? (And no offense, but I think it's spelled Quilava.)

How does a water PokeMon shoots tons of water from its body, even when it is tiny like squirtle? And how do rock PokeMon move their limbs if their skin is one big piece of dense rock? Technically, they should be frozen forever and can't move their arms until the stone hull on their shoulders breaks. Unless the stone is somehow bendable.

In some games, Pokemon can use Dive to go on underwater paths but how do the trainers breathe? Do the Pokemon form a bubble? Or does the trainer get SCUBA gear? Its just plain weird.

A

Anonymous

Do the gym leaders EVER leave there gym?! If so......WHERE THE EFF DO THEY GO?!?!

Crazo said:
Heck, that "Clefairy and possibly all other Pokemon are from space!" idea went nowhere until Deoxys. We hear all this stuff about beliefs that Pokemon came from space and then we hear nothing about it till Doexys, and even that wasn't that great because it was hardly included in the games at all. At least space travel would make a realistically interesting subplot.
My theory is that it's humans who came from space. Think about it. Aside from some throwaway scenes/lines in the anime/Gen I games, Pokemon are the animals of the Pokemon world. There are no non-Pokemon animals, and its mentioned that all Pokemon share a similar genetic code. Humans, on the other hand, do not consider themselves Pokemon, and all indications point to humans not sharing in the similar Pokemon generic code. So in this world humans are the only animals that are genetic oddities.
My theory (WARNING! BSG INSPIRED) is that humans left Earth for one reason or another, came to the Pokemon world, and over thousands of years the civilization of the Pokemon world we know was formed.

Actually, there are worms and regular fish in the PokeMon world. But following your theory, the people might have brought them to the planet when they arrived in their spaceships~

How and where do people get rare Pokemon such as
emesprani001.gif
emesprani004.gif
, and
emesprani007.gif
and then they just hand it over to some kid. AND THEN THEY JUST HAND OVER THE SECRET TO CATCHING ALL POKEMON- THE MASTERBALL TO A KID!! And since when did Gary beat the elite 4 before I even got there with my level 100 pokemon! And then theres the issue with the toilets. And why are there no bugs but bug catchers? There are so many pokeproblems...

one crazy thing is that in buildings with stairs for example at my house i the stairs are on the left but in my room i enter from the right whats up with that?

kwilava kid said:
theres is also a picture of a tiger somewhere in Blaine's gym or somewhere on that island
what if pokemon evolved into humans ??? :o
I seriously doubt that. The idea of over 500 species evolving into one.... No. : D

nuri1 said:
one crazy thing is that in buildings with stairs for example at my house i the stairs are on the left but in my room i enter from the right whats up with that?
You took what I was going to say.. But seriosuly, there are things called Landings. I believe that's the answer to your pokeproblem : D

Thepokemontrainer said:
. AND THEN THEY JUST HAND OVER THE SECRET TO CATCHING ALL POKEMON- THE MASTERBALL TO A KID!! And since when did Gary beat the elite 4 before I even got there with my level 100 pokemon! And then theres the issue with the toilets. And why are there no bugs but bug catchers? There are so many pokeproblems...

1.) The secret to catching poemon is "Damaging them a little, and throwing a pokeball at them." A master ball is just taking the easy way out. But think, TPT,in RBGY, FR, LG, they saved an entire major company.I think that's worth getting something.
2.)Face it, Gary is better than you.
3.)The toilet problem is overused, if you ask me. Maybe they all wear diapers.
4.) Bug catchers catch bug pokemon.
5.)And every sentance doesn't have to start with "and". It's actually against Grammarical rules (Is grammarical even a word? :| ).

What i don't get is when you want to fly somewhere while you're surfing on a pokemon.
When you pick your place, your flying type pokemon just grabs you and you take off WITHOUT your pokemon that you were surfing with.
And then when you get to the place you wanted to go to, the pokemon that you were surfing with just randomly appears with you.
Am i just thinking too hard?

My question is the same as before: In some games, Pokemon can use Dive to go on underwater paths but how do the trainers breathe? Do the Pokemon form a bubble? Or does the trainer get SCUBA gear? I saw either Latias or Latios form a bubble so Ash and friends could breathe but I can't imagine something else making a bubble. Like Blastoise, for example.

Like LoN, I also wonder about their lack of toilets.

Another weird thing is that there are no cars. How do the old people get in the middle of nowhere? Although there are cars in B/W, where do the people get the cars from?! I doubt people in the Pokemon world don't even know what a car is.

The whole concept kind of cunfuses me. Some old guy, who always happens to be their neighbor, gives a kid some little monster that can destroy the world and lets them wander off by themselves pitting Pokemon against eachother for fun. What kind of friendship is that?! Then the kid has to find like 500 more just to help someone they don't even know.

The money. How do these kids get so much money?! When you have a double battle against two five-year-olds if you win they give you over one-thousand dollars. And nobody wants to rob one-hundred-million dollars from a kid?!

Alot of things are weird in Pokemon, but those are just a few of the many things I could think of.

PLEASE I NEED ANSWERS!
How do you breathe on an underground route!
In some games, Pokemon can use Dive to go on underwater paths but how do the trainers breathe? Do the Pokemon form a bubble? Or does the trainer get SCUBA gear? I saw either Latias or Latios form a bubble so Ash and friends could breathe but I can't imagine something else making a bubble. Like Blastoise, for example.

I think their PokeMon supplys the oxygen by filtering it from the water. Also, it's called game mechanics. Wouldn't be fun if you surfaced every minute while using Dive, would it?

About the money; I think that he PokeMon world suffers from inflation, meaning that money becomes worth less. For example; You get paid twice as much, but everything in your country becomes twice as expensive, so it doesn't help at all.

And cars are a weird bussines, I agree. In R/S/E, for example, there's a truck in the beginning, but it wouldn't fit into the route from Oldale to Petalburg, or be able to go anywhere from there for that matter. Unless it teleports, no way.

I don't get why we ride in the moving truck in R/S/E don't people usually drive instead?
another thing is that everytime you go in a building you see the same people sitting in the same spot IN THE SAME POSITION! whats up with that?

nuri1 said:
I don't get why we ride in the moving truck in R/S/E don't people usually drive instead?

You're ten years old. You can't drive. Also, it doesn't seem like the parents have cars. The biggest problem should be, why were you allowed in the back of a moving vehicle filled with unsecure boxes that on a sharp turn could crush you to death, rather than in the cab where the risk of death is lower.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Tatile said:
nuri1 said:

You're ten years old. You can't drive. Also, it doesn't seem like the parents have cars. The biggest problem should be, why were you allowed in the back of a moving vehicle filled with unsecure boxes that on a sharp turn could crush you to death, rather than in the cab where the risk of death is lower.

Well I feel it's pretty obvious that in R/S/E your father just doesn't really love you at all. He's probably the one who threw you back there.

That's another thing, you only have a dad in one of the game, and he's never there and kind of a major jerk. What's with all the negligent father's in the Pokemon universe? I though this place was supposed to be a utopia. :T

I didnt ever get how your pokemon can withstand attacks like Hyperbeam and stuff and not actually die .... and i also dont get what happens inside a pokeball when u heal it at the pokemon building with the red roof .... >_<

nuri1 said:
Dark Soul said:
There's no wars that we know of, and everybody in towns and city's always seems so happy.
looks like you haven't watched Lucario and the Mystery of Mew

I have, actually- I forgot to add 'currently raging'. What I also don't know anything about: How do electric Pokemon generate their electricity?

the oddest things in the pokemon world to me are the anime.
first off, pikachu. that thing sould be level 80 by now after all its been through in the show, but no it still gets it butt kicked by other pokemon.
the other thing that really grinds my gears is how the legendary pokemon cant breed in the game, but in master quest here we see not only a mother lugia (which also is odd) but a baby as well. can you say "hypocrite"

[glow=red,2,300]Warning, Science content ahead![/glow]

It's quite possible that electric types have a high electron count, and when their blood circulates it creates electricity course through their blood as well. If we want to get Scifi about it, the iron n the blood may help too.

Another theory is that, like Mr. Mime, they can control molecules, specifically theirs, and when the molecules move fast enough, friction is created, thus creating electricity.

THey could also have an odd magnetism to them, where they attract electrons and other electricity causing components from their surroundings. Or they just naturally have a high negative energy count. I mean, look at their hair (specifically Jolteon, Manectric, and Luxray).

One last rheory is that they don't even create electricity at all, but rather something quite similar to it. Electricity is essentially light, thereofre travels rather fast. When we see their attacks in game, it goes slow. I know what your thinking, just wait. In fact, just think about it, its quite possible that all the Pokemon aren't really what their types suggest, but rather something very, very close. That would explain how people and Pokemon can survive any battles.

@Pokekid

Well, in the anime, levels don't exist. That would explain how on earth Grotle evolved before Monferno, and Infernape before Torterra.

As far as legendary babies go, yeah, that doesn't make sense, but it also kinda does. THere are obviously more that one of each legendary, other wise nobody would ever hear of them (A perfect example is Johto's Ho-oh and Lugiah, Orre's Ho-oh and Lugiah, and Navel Rock's Ho-oh and Lugiah.). Now, the anime only says that Lugiah wa sits mother, NOT its birth mother. Noone knows how legendaries come to be, but I would guess that a long time ago they could breed at one time, and they laid eggs. These eggs, however, took forever to hatch, so their parents would die out, thus leaving the baby orphaned. Maybe then the Lugiah adopted it so it could teach the baby how to survive.

Man, I'm a geek.