• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Oddest Things in the Pokemon World

DoctorOak said:
The Blue Avenger said:
Source that.

Because I'm almost completely sure that's wrong.

It very much is, I have no idea where he's gotten that impression.

No, no, it is very much true. In the anime. Check it, what now, punk lol jk. But yeah, it's happened in the anime quite often, in the DP series.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
You really should have specified that, because it was taken that you meant ingame. As for the anime, they continuously break the very laws that the game universe is run by, so yeah. You have to take everything in the anime with a rather large grain of salt.

Cirnoツ said:
Tail Whip. O.o It doesn't whip anything, so it should be called Tail Spin.

I don't think it literally means to whip the opposition with its tail, it's more so to move the tail in a fashion similar to whipping.

One thing I find odd is that in the games, you have to surf on a pokemon to cross a pond, but others can swim oceans.

Another is that If people leave home at the age of 10 to travel the world, then how do they have jobs? Last time I checked you have to go to school before you can become a teacher or some of the other stuff in there.

And one more is in Sunnyshore. Technically its a few things, but that bridge just bugs me.

1. How is it supported? I never saw any support beams except for the hills. And I really think there should be more holding it up.

2. The bridge is made of solar panels right? Well why hasn't anyone fried from just standing on them? I mean those things should be getting pretty hot.

3. How is it wired? Honestly there was never any visible lines connecting it to anything, so it makes you wonder.

doubled32 said:
Another is that If people leave home at the age of 10 to travel the world, then how do they have jobs? Last time I checked you have to go to school before you can become a teacher or some of the other stuff in there.

The anime and games interpret schooling differently. In the anime, formal schooling is an option for children alongside Pokemon training. Apparently for one reason or the other, not all kids choose to become Pokemon trainers. Some go to school so that they may eventually become businessmen and the like. There are also technical schools that educate people not only in Pokemon training, but in other pokemon-related fields like coordinating and veterinary sciences. One can assume basic education is included in their curriculum as well.

This is also what I assume the educational system is for the games as well. Children can learn about Pokemon alongside acquiring basic skills and knowledge that will be useful to them should they decide to take up jobs rather than travel the world training. Hence we have trainer classes like School kid and the Pokeschool in Jubilife city.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
ProfessorHibiki said:
DoctorOak said:
The Blue Avenger said:
Source that.

No, no, it is very much true. In the anime. Check it, what now, punk lol jk. But yeah, it's happened in the anime quite often, in the DP series.

Except that hasn't happened for years, and not once within the DP series.

DoctorOak said:
ProfessorHibiki said:
DoctorOak said:
The Blue Avenger said:
Source that.

In the Tag Team tournament, Ash's Pikachu is fighting a Rhydon and they ARE effective against it :p I believe...>_>

Okay. I'll post another. I beleive I posted this before Charms' crash, but oh well:

Pokemon have 2 names: one is the English version (Umbreon), and the other is the Japanese version (according to this site, Blacky ( ブラッキー)). So, we all know the pokemon world is huge, and may or may not have people speaking different languages. So my question is, if they do, do the pokemon speak different languages?

Another is in the games, apparently when a new region is discovered, regions like Kanto and the others act like its a huge discovery! However, people in those regions act like they've known about it all along. Does this mean that the world is just now getting internationally linked?

And now a new one:

The Master Ball: Apparently it was made by Silph co. and they claim there's only one. People from Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, and soon Isshu would beg to differ! Just how many are there?

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
ProfessorHibiki said:
DoctorOak said:
ProfessorHibiki said:
DoctorOak said:
The Blue Avenger said:
Source that.

In the Tag Team tournament, Ash's Pikachu is fighting a Rhydon and they ARE effective against it :p I believe...>_>

No. When Pikachu attacks Magmar with an electric attack, it's directed toward Rhydon because of the Lightningrod ability, where it then does nothing. Just as it should. As I said, it hasn't happened for a very long time.

DoctorOak said:
ProfessorHibiki said:
DoctorOak said:
ProfessorHibiki said:
DoctorOak said:
The Blue Avenger said:
Source that.

No. When Pikachu attacks Magmar with an electric attack, it's directed toward Rhydon because of the Lightningrod ability, where it then does nothing. Just as it should. As I said, it hasn't happened for a very long time.

Then where the heck did I read that it happened in the DP series? *thinks, rots while thinking*

Well its always confused me how you can fly on a pidgey, which is extremely tiny, and have it take you to places hundreds of miles away, but you can ven fly on scyther, which has 4 pairs of wings and is as big as you.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
ProfessorHibiki said:
I never got how you can ride in the water, with your 70-98.3 pound weight, on tiny pokemon like Finneon and Magikarp @_@

The way I like to interpret surfing when using smaller Pokemon is how the anime does it. The trainer releases the Pokemon into the water, then rather than trying to ride on their back, simply jumps into the water with them and holds onto the Pokemon. The Pokemon essentially works as a personal little motor to propel them swiftly through the water. Not the best or driest method, mind you, but definitely plausible and reasonable.

What has ALWAYS bugged me is the way that there's huge cities, and you can only enter about 4 houses. What about the rest of them that have no doors? Is it just for show? How do people get in there? ARGH! *Has breakdown*

Sir Red said:
ProfessorHibiki said:
I never got how you can ride in the water, with your 70-98.3 pound weight, on tiny pokemon like Finneon and Magikarp @_@

The way I like to interpret surfing when using smaller Pokemon is how the anime does it. The trainer releases the Pokemon into the water, then rather than trying to ride on their back, simply jumps into the water with them and holds onto the Pokemon. The Pokemon essentially works as a personal little motor to propel them swiftly through the water. Not the best or driest method, mind you, but definitely plausible and reasonable.

I guess, but notice how they never seem to be wet? Like, they don't track water everywhere. That may be because in the games, it SHOWS them riding ON the pokemon which still contradicts everything that's right and wrong O_O

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
ProfessorHibiki said:
Sir Red said:
ProfessorHibiki said:

I guess, but notice how they never seem to be wet? Like, they don't track water everywhere. That may be because in the games, it SHOWS them riding ON the pokemon which still contradicts everything that's right and wrong O_O

It's an anime, and even more so it's the Pokemon anime. Things are not going to be correct by real world logic or physics. That's something you're just going to have to learn to deal with, really. It would be far too difficult to animate the characters slowly drying off over a long period of time. It really wouldn't be worth it, that's what is done in nearly every type of media (not just anime, but live action things as well).

As for the part about the games, there is no way that the game makers were going to create different sprites and traveling styles. It would be a whole lot of wasted time and effort to make all of those for something so frivolous and minuscule. The surfing animation is there to simply serve as a visual to convoy the idea of what is going on.

Thinking about things like the surfing problem, and even more so the flying one, from a writing standpoint can really help you to interpret them in different ways that actually makes them much more plausible than they originally appeared to be. When you simply think outside of the box, they actual seem more possible. ^^

I think it's wierd that in the anime pokemon repeat there names a bunch of times to talk excluding team rockets meowth and chatot an in the game it just sounds like a bunch of static.

geekypichu63 said:
I think it's wierd that in the anime pokemon repeat there names a bunch of times to talk excluding team rockets meowth and chatot an in the game it just sounds like a bunch of static.
i agree. the anime is weird like that.
also, i say they sound less like static, more like growling random pixelated noises

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Whonii said:
geekypichu63 said:
i agree. the anime is weird like that.
also, i say they sound less like static, more like growling random pixelated noises

Well, I think that the developers of the anime didn't feel like coming up with complex animal-like sounds for hundreds of Pokemon, and thus they decided to take an easy alternative and simply have the Pokemon utter their name over and over as their form of speech. It's far from good, but it works I suppose.

Here's one thing I thought was odd: When the contestants only have 5 minutes to finish a battle in the contest, the battle actually goes on longer or shorter and doesn't end until 2 min or 7 min.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
pokemonfreak387 said:
Here's one thing I thought was odd: When the contestants only have 5 minutes to finish a battle in the contest, the battle actually goes on longer or shorter and doesn't end until 2 min or 7 min.

Well, that is something that happens in pretty much every type of movie, television show, or whatever. The time spans that they give you in the show almost never match up with the actual time span. They really only give you the 5 minute timer in the anime to add to the format of the contests, it all really is dictated by what they choose/do show you of the battle. The actual times the battles take place can stagger greatly, but in keyfabe anime world logic, it's the five minutes.

First of all, I think that it is weird that when a Pokemon's HP runs out, they say it 'Fainted'. I mean, something else could happen, it could even die! They should just say it was defeated.
I also think it is weird how Kangaskan it born with another baby in it's pouch! It's so [ODDISH!]!!

Also, I think it is stupid how most of the characters wear the same clothes every day. Why don't they buy new ones? Like, take Ash for example. He always just walks around regions in the same stupid baseball hat and coat.
It sucks how there could be a guy called Mac who wears jeans and a pink shirt in New Bark Town, and there would be a guy called Jim in Ecruteak City wearing jeans and a pink shirt! They should all have unique styles!

I think it is stupid how the characters never have to pee, or miss home and start crying , or die of old age. And I don't get why when your in battle, the opponent (Example: Skarmory) would swoop down and Claw you to death! There is plenty more thing I would discuss, but I forgot them.

Azerake said:
Also, I think it is stupid how most of the characters wear the same clothes every day. Why don't they buy new ones? Like, take Ash for example. He always just walks around regions in the same stupid baseball hat and coat.

thats false his hat changes each region he goes to ex: in the kanto region he had a white and black > thing in sinnoh he has a green rainbowish thing

GameFreak is going to have to end the franchise somehow, I mean, sooner or later their going to have too little ideas to make around 150 or so new pokemon per game. It'll probably end with all the humans dying from the lack of toilets and crap piling up along the streets. Or better yet- the Joys and Jennys of the world reveal they're terminators.
On Topic: It's incredibly weird that no one in the pokemon world is famous; with the exception of professors, or people they mention for one episode only. Also, I think the Elite Four is the most boring job a person could possibly have. "Oh boy! Now I get to wait in a giant tower all my life, getting to battle small children every now and then!"

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
The Elite Four bit is just like the Gym Leadrs: in game they're stationary because they're bosses. In a non game setting like the manga or anime they are free to move about just like any other person. Since being Elite Four is their job, they probably only go to their base when someone has won all eight badges and/or gotten out of Victory Road.

If you recall, in FRLG Lorelei was on Four Island post Elite Four because she lived their and there was no one trying to become champion at the time.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Azerake said:
First of all, I think that it is weird that when a Pokemon's HP runs out, they say it 'Fainted'. I mean, something else could happen, it could even die! They should just say it was defeated.
I also think it is weird how Kangaskan it born with another baby in it's pouch! It's so [ODDISH!]!!
I fixed your language there. "Gay" is not a good word to use as an insult.

Azerake said:

I think it doesn't say die just because they don't want calls from angry parents listening to their child yell "i'm going to kill you" at their gameboys or dsesseess.

Forgive me if this was already mentioned, but why does it seem that you and your rival have the largest houses in your town? Or hell, even in your region? I find it odd that most people have a house that's smaller than your bedroom. Seriously, are you guys that rich, or is everyone just really poor?

Jenova said:
Forgive me if this was already mentioned, but why does it seem that you and your rival have the largest houses in your town? Or hell, even in your region? I find it odd that most people have a house that's smaller than your bedroom. Seriously, are you guys that rich, or is everyone just really poor?

Well, in Gold and Silver's remakes HeartGold and SoulSilver, basically Prof. Elm had the largest house in New Bark Town because of the Lab also being part of it. Although if we only count WHERE they live exactly then thats a good question as to why the Main Hero and Rival have seemingly "bigger" homes.

There are absolutely tons of weird things. Example, how the heck is it possible to stuff pokemon in a computer? That would be like turning them into data and sticking them in. Another thing, why don't we ever see pokemon dying in the game? Sure there are graveyards and such like in lavender town but the pokemon we own can just last forever without dying or getting old or whatnot.

And people in the game keep saying the same old thing NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES YOU CLICK ON THEM. I find that really irritating.

Another thing: held items. If the pokemon can't hold in the first place(e.g. Scyther. It can't really hold stuff with those blades) then how the heck can they be holding those items, much less using them? I guess you could use the mouth, but i can't exactly see Scyther running around the battlefield with something sticking out of its mouth.

Charizardlover said:
Another thing: held items. If the pokemon can't hold in the first place(e.g. Scyther. It can't really hold stuff with those blades) then how the heck can they be holding those items, much less using them? I guess you could use the mouth, but i can't exactly see Scyther running around the battlefield with something sticking out of its mouth.
I can see a scyther holding something with his mouth... Berries, for example.
Back to the subject: I think it's weird how in the game so many people look exactly the same. But I guess it would be hard making up new sub character designs for every route, city, etc.
Back to my thing about the GymLeaders, it's there job, right? Every time they lose, they have to give away Pieces of metal that magically make pokemon respect you, and their paychecks. Deeper in; Who even pays them? :-\

xxllo2 said:
Back to my thing about the GymLeaders, it's there job, right? Every time they lose, they have to give away Pieces of metal that magically make pokemon respect you, and their paychecks. Deeper in; Who even pays them? :-\

Welp, you have to wonder: WHO THE HECK PUTS THEM IN THE POSITION OF GYM LEADER?! I mean, this was never actually established. There is supposedly a 'Pokemon Council' that does all that, but, where, who and what are they? :o

One thing i always wondered is when do pokemon trainers finish school. Wen they turn 10 they just leave. What do they do when their pokemon journey has ended. And their world revolves around pokemon. If we took pokemon away their world would crumble.

ProfessorHibiki said:
xxllo2 said:

Welp, you have to wonder: WHO THE HECK PUTS THEM IN THE POSITION OF GYM LEADER?! I mean, this was never actually established. There is supposedly a 'Pokemon Council' that does all that, but, where, who and what are they? :o

I think some times leaders give up their gyms.also in the anime and the games you can beat the champion which should make you the champ and ash has done that in like every region hes been to so hes like the champ for all the regions there are.

ProfessorHibiki said:
xxllo2 said:

Since we haven't the slightest idea, I say it's the last surviving Mew (plural OLOLOL). They take the form of..... Some.... Dudes.... and go up to a trainer in the Gym, and say "YOU'VE EARNED A PROMOTION!". That, or Arceus controls more than we believe.

xxllo2 said:
ProfessorHibiki said:
xxllo2 said:

Since we haven't the slightest idea, I say it's the last surviving Mew (plural OLOLOL). They take the form of..... Some.... Dudes.... and go up to a trainer in the Gym, and say "YOU'VE EARNED A PROMOTION!". That, or Arceus controls more than we believe.

It would be soooo funny if we saw a man who stated he was from the Pokemon Council, and he had a long pink tail protruding from his...batorkus :o

Charizardlover said:
There are absolutely tons of weird things. Example, how the heck is it possible to stuff pokemon in a computer? That would be like turning them into data and sticking them in. Another thing, why don't we ever see pokemon dying in the game? Sure there are graveyards and such like in lavender town but the pokemon we own can just last forever without dying or getting old or whatnot.

And people in the game keep saying the same old thing NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES YOU CLICK ON THEM. I find that really irritating.

Well, for starters, Pokemon has run on the same time as real time since Gold and Silver, so technically if we own any Pokemon, we only own them for a few years before the next game comes. Though I could see your point if you capture a Pokemon at the peak of age. But mostly they'll admit to graveyards but not death in the games because they want to give an eary feeling/provide a good Ghost environment, but they won't show death because the game is technically aimed for little children.

Held items, I tend to look at them like necklaces or something you can tie on to a Pokemon, otherwise I don't think we could stick a Dragon Fang in, say, an Eevee's mouth.

Now, on topic, I guess I find it weird how there are plenty of Pokemon centers, but zero hospitals for humans. Another is how pokemon like Magnamite survive and thrive.

Well, electronic PokeMon like the Magnet-Line and the Porygon Line probably feast on electricity. They use their steel components or powers to absorb the electricity and use it for their own. What intrigues me more is how robotic PokeMon or PokeMon that excist purely out of data, or are hollow (Shedinja) Or completely made out of solid rock (Regirock) Can have emotions and a feeling for empathy, aka be social. Our robots in the real world don't have real emotions, they can only fake them.