• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Nuzlocke Challenge! Pokemon Hardmode!

Louie Forest said:
I started the Nuzloke challenge yesterday on my Soul Silver game, and here is a diary of it so far:
1. Claimed Cyndaquil from the lab, called Rainbow
2. Caught a Bellsprout, called Plant Lady, level 4.
3. Got Plant Lady to level 5 and Rainbow to level 9.
4. Got another female Bellsprout, called Plant Lady.
5. Traded the lower level Bellsprout for an Onix.
6. Went to Sprout Tower.
7. Rocky died... meh.

So far, so good! Who am I kidding, I suck. :(

You just started! Dont get discouraged right away that would make the challenge to annoying. Consider grinding a bit though since your a bit low on pokemon.

Team Eternities reporting in:

- Radha the Monferno, lvl 18
- Kiku the Zubat, lvl 15
- Norin the Bibarel, lvl 16
- Kaldra the Geodude, lvl 15
- Simic the Combee, lvl 12

Lumia the Shinx perished to a Karate chop crit from a machop right before Eterna Forest which is where I am now. She will be missed... particularly since electric types are rather uncommon at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
In just two hours...

Quilava, level 20. Headbutt, Flame Wheel, Leer, Smokescreen.
Bellsprout, level 19, Vine Whip, Growth, Poison Powder, Sleep Powder.

I have two gym badges and my rival is called Gay Emo! ;D
The only reason I am low on Pokemon is I hate all the wild Pokemon. All of them are Spearows and Zubats! :(

You should still catch them when they are the first, the point of a Nuzlocke run is to
a) challenge yourself
b) Discover some pokemon you dont usually train.

Im learning now that zubats can be pretty cool once you get them Wing attack and Bite :p
Also you may want some cannon fodder later.

After spending the whole day on my DSi, this is my current team:

Pineco, female, level 14, Bug Bite, Take Down, Protect, Self Destruct. Nickname: Tunduli. (I am never using self destruct!)
Pidgey, male, level 17, U-Turn, Whirlwind, Gust, Quick Attack. Nickname: Sem.
Quilava, male, level 23, Headbutt, Leer, Smokescreen, Flame Wheel. Nickname: Cody. (He likes things.)
Weepinbell, female, level 23, Vine Whip, Growth, Acid, Sleep Powder. Nickname: Tangrelle.

Hero's name: Nuzloke.
Rival's name: Gay Emo.
Badges: 3 (Everyone says Whitney's Miltank is really hard, but Miltank has never defeated even one of my Pokemon!)

EDIT: Sem the Pidgey just got killed by a Clefable. Clefable waggled it's finger and used Overheat! Stupid pink star thing... :(
RIP Pokemon: Rocky the Onix, Sem the Pidgey.

Meh, what the heck, ill try this thing on soul silver or heart gold. I hope its not too hard...
Totodile level 5
One question: what if the only pokémon you have dies?

Then you lose the game.

I've been having an unnecessarily long pause in my LeafGreen run... I'm going to trade over my Porygon, aka Terabyte (yes I know I got Atlanta from the same city, but do you know what I payed for the friggin thing? >:( ) to my FireRed for level up (figured that'd be all right, I can level up in LG as well but it'll just take forever), but it's been taking awfully long for me to do that. I will finish this run though.

Well I'm on Firered atm with a reasonably strong team....for only having three badges.

My Team

Grant-male Wartortle
Vampira- female Golbat
B.O.B-male Clefairy
Sunday-Female Kadabra

Hopefully I'll find some good ones to back these four up later on...BOB is surisingly good.

OK, news flash. My annoying sister turned my DSi off when Sem died, so my pidgey is now back alive! Now he is a Pidgeotto! My current team:

Tangrelle the level 25 Weepinbell
Sem the level 20 male Pidgeotto
Cody the level 25 male Quilava
Tunduli the level 18 female Pineco

A weird team, trying to level up Tunduli! Can't wait to get new Pokemon!

Louie Forest said:
OK, news flash. My annoying sister turned my DSi off when Sem died, so my pidgey is now back alive! Now he is a Pidgeotto! My current team:

Tangrelle the level 25 Weepinbell
Sem the level 20 male Pidgeotto
Cody the level 25 male Quilava
Tunduli the level 18 female Pineco

A weird team, trying to level up Tunduli! Can't wait to get new Pokemon!
You could use a good water type, be on the lookout for one of those.

After giving up on my FireRed Nuzlocke (before Pewter City!), I decided to start one on Emerald. I let myself go back to the routes where you play through with no Poke Balls though (Routes 101, 102 and 103). >> By the way, whoever guesses what the names of my Pokemon are from gets a cookie.

Rules:

-If a Pokemon faints, release it or throw it in a DEAD box and let it rot.
-Name all your Pokemon.
-Allowed to catch duplicates.
-No using items in a battle.

261.png

LucyDaSlut, Poochyena (female), @nothing
Lv8, Quirky, Run Away.
-Howl
-Tackle

I don't really use this one.

261.png
Brian, Poochyena (male), @nothing
Lv8, Quiet, Run Away.
-Howl
-Tackle

I don't really use this one either. :B

280.png

Christ.Eve, Ralts (female), @nothing
Lv9, Calm, Trace.
-Growl
-Confusion

This is mrs. ieatyourmachopsforbreakfast. :>

253.png

Rod, Grovylr (male), @nothing
Lv16, Careful, Overgrow.
-Absorb
-Pursuit
-Quick Attack
-Cut

This guy is coo'.

Nicky the Poochyena (Lv5), lost to a trainer's Nincada.

Trying this, 'cause it sounds really funny. And as I don't have any current game on my Sapphire I'll enjoy a nice nuzlocke!

Started about 10 min ago and so far:

Austin, the male Mudkip. Lv 14
Waterlily, the female Lotad. Lv 12
Morgan, the male Zigzagoon. Lv 12

Dead:

Groover, the male Zigzagoon. Lv 10
Yodel, the female Poochyena. Lv 3

My current team:

Virgil the male Meowth, level 21.
Sem the male Pidgeotto, level 21.
Sir Red the male Quilava, level 27.
Tangrelle the female Victreebel, level 25.
Tunduli the female Pineco, level 22.
RIP: Rocky the Onix, Baratron the Poliwag.

My run is going great, im catching up to my previous one but with less pokemon being rotated out and more consistent training routine. Currently on route to Celestic town and havent caught anything on the foggy road yet, I wonder what my next catch will be :p

Team is as seen in my sig area spoiler, except Memnarch got an upgrade and is now Porygon2, I just cant find the animated sprite of him.

i will NOT use it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s.I LOVE MY POKEMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I've found Ruby, and I like Ruby much more than Sapphire, so I'm abandoning my Sapphire Run. Again. I'm also going to name my team this time. Here we have Team Crimson Warriors!

Current Squad

pkrs004.gif
pkrs027.gif

Igneous the Male Torchic lvl 10
Glade the Male Wingull lvl 7

That's all for now.

Welcome back Luckii, may your hits always crit and your enemies never vanquish you.

As for a status update, the accursed Iron Mountain has seen 2 of my great warriors fall, Kiku the Crobat and Memnarch the Porygon2.

So its training time for some new recruits. They have some big shoes to fill but im sure they can pull it off.

Updated team added to sig area.

That's too bad Rolly, Makuhita is a great pokemon for nuzlocke runs because he packs both offensive and defensive capabilities.

What did he die from may I ask?

I have just started my first Nuzlocke run in Sapphire.

My team so far is:
Rorshack the male Treecko lvl 10
Buggy the male Dustox lvl 10
Sneaky the female Zigzagoon lvl 8
Shino the male Shroomish lvl 6

My encounter order have been Wurmple (Buggy), Zigzagoon (Sneaky), 3x Zigzagoon that got killed, Shroomish (Shino).

I had hoped for a Taillow/Wingull/Poochyena on one of those three Zigzagoon kills but alas the game wanted otherwise.

Now to train them some more before the first gym.

GNYARGH!! I picked up LG to continue my Nuzlocke run after some pause, and what happens? Giovanni knocks out Terabyte! GRAAGGH!! *rage mode activate*

Currently in Victory Road

Current Team:

Fiji the Charizard, male, lv. 49
Maximus the Nidoking, male, lv. 48
Atlanta the Vaporeon, female, lv. 48
Jackie the Hitmonchan, male, lv. 48
Ganon the Snorlax, male, lv. 35
(Derpes the Slowpoke, male, lv. 32 (only on my team because I didn't go to a PokeCenter before VR, caught him in Route 23))

Jeydis said:
That's too bad Rolly, Makuhita is a great pokemon for nuzlocke runs because he packs both offensive and defensive capabilities.

That freaking Makuhita of Brawlys D:

UPDATE! Do you think I should use Volbeat for my team? I think he's kinda useless, and I just don't want to train him.

Rolly said:
Jeydis said:

That freaking Makuhita of Brawlys D:

UPDATE! Do you think I should use Volbeat for my team? I think he's kinda useless, and I just don't want to train him.
Hmm Volbeat has some potential but sadly does not learn fly which you will need soon enough. I would say use it for now if only to help cover the others with bug type moves, having moonlight can eb nice too, just be careful with it, bug types tend to be sensitive.

Hehe, already decided to leave him out of the party, since I got a Machop (now Machoke), a Seviper and a Torkoal :D

But Samuel died :'(

Well, lots has happened since my last post. Igneous evolved, and I beat Roxanne in 3 turns. My team is as follows:

Current Squad

pkrs005.gif
pkrs027.gif

Igneous the Male Combusken lvl 16
Glade the Male Wingull lvl 13

'Tis all for now.

Nice team you have there. You wont have any problem with the next four gymleaders (fighting, electric(/steel), fire and normal) :D

Back again. Contrary to Rolly's statement, I had a little trouble with Brawley. Glade just can't hit like my other two Pokemon, but I overcame him eventually. Speaking of which, yeah, I caught an Aron in Granite Cave. Lucky, considering I was praying for an Aron to appear first. And one popped up! Delivered letter to Steven, and now training in grass above Slateport.

Current Squad

dpmfa256.png
dpmfa278.png
dpmfa304.png

Igneous the Male Combusken lvl 21
Glade the Male Wingull lvl 19
Torque the Male Aron lvl 17

That's all, folks!

My Nuzlocke has a lot of rules. I even gave myself 3 cheats, but I used them all.
Current team is
Ivichi Ivysaur, 16
Piri Pidgey, 15
Ariase Ekans, 12
Mimsy Mankey, 12
Beremoth Butterfree,11

Desceased
Zarbon Zubat, against the fossil guy... Rip
Pir Pidgey, Training... Rip

I've wanted to try one in Hoenn for a while, but can't delete my Sapphire or Emerald and can't start right on Ruby...

Congrats on the new additions guys!

My team had bit of a rough streak, as per tradition with my runs im having a rough time with my flyers, currently using a Staravia I caught a while ago to fly but not to battle.

Still going quite well, training and doing a bit of team galactic bashing at the moment. Training Kobo the newest addition to my team for his big gym battle coming up against Volkner.

Team up dated in the spoiler area of my signature.

Finally got a Hoenn run started! Whoever said that critical hits are annoying, I agree emphatically!
Any way, team is as follows:
Terrex lv.12 Torchic
Zido lv.10 Zigzagoon
Tira Misu lv.10 Tailow
Nonno lv.10 male Skitty
and Wvisa, level 6 Whismur.
I have not challenged Roxanne yet, But I was wondering if I should keep Wvisa in my team. Any suggestions would be helpful!

Normal types have two advantages on nuzlocke runs, They can learn a wide array of moves and are immune to ghost attacks. And in the Whismur's case are immune to sound attacks which can be quite handy with all the zubats/wingulls that go about.

I would suggest keeping it, if only to make it use HMs.

Hmm you do have alot of normal types though so maybe looking into another pokemon capture would help before Brawly. Or seriously train your Taillow to kick some major Makuhita butt.

Hey hey! Since it would be silly to make a new thread, I thought I'd put my Touhoumon Nuzlocke here :> Touhoumon is pretty much Pokemon, except the pokemon are characters of a series and are completely different in type, stats, and moves. And they're all girls ANYWAY

My team as of now consists of:
CSakuyaBrandy.png

Brandy, the level 7 female CSakuya, and my starter. She's an Ice type with Concentrate, and has more defensive stats ♥

CChenCheeeeeeen.png

Cheeeeeeen, the level 3 female CChen! She's the first thing I saw, and she's a Ground type kitty with Run Away ♥ She's a little fragile, but she's super-fast!

CKanakoOnbazooka.png

Onbazooka, the level 5 female CKanako. She's named after that rock pillar behind her, and is an Electric/Grass type with Pressure. She has heavy stats geared towards special attacks!

...Then I had a fourth but I sort of murdered her. Oh well! I think I'll train them up to Brandy's level before going in the forest ♥

narrowly escaped Roxanne's with all my Pokemon's lives. Now that I have gotten to Dewford, I fished in route 106 and caught nothing, went into the cave and caught a Zubat.... I wanted an Aron! The one perk is that when I fished in Dewford, I caught a Tentacool!

256.png
Terrex, level 16
300.png
Nonno, l3v31 14
263.png
Zido, lvl. 15
276.png
Tira Misu, lev. 15
41.png
Zsisca, lv 8
72.png
Serenity, levl 9
Terrex evolved, and now I have to get Serenity and Zsisca ready for battle~

Ta ta!

About to face Brock! I am exceedingly worried ♥

My team isss:
CSakuyaBrandy.png
- Brandy, Level 13

CKanakoOnbazooka.png
- Onbazooka, level 13

And Cheeeeeeen died ;_; However! We have a new recruit from Viridian Forest!

CSunnymilkDerpfairy.png
- Derpfairy, the CSunnymilk! She's a Fire type with Vital Spirit, and seems to have high special attack!

With my main hope against Brock being Onbazooka, I hope I don't utterly fail :'D
Otherwise, I have a backup mon I didn't want to use so much ♥

Jeydis said:
Normal types have two advantages on nuzlocke runs, They can learn a wide array of moves and are immune to ghost attacks. And in the Whismur's case are immune to sound attacks which can be quite handy with all the zubats/wingulls that go about.

I would suggest keeping it, if only to make it use HMs.

Hmm you do have alot of normal types though so maybe looking into another pokemon capture would help before Brawly. Or seriously train your Taillow to kick some major Makuhita butt.

I must say Jeydis, you're run is going really well. Keep fighting on!

By the way, has anyone ever beaten the elite four on a Nuzlocke run?

I must say Jeydis, you're run is going really well. Keep fighting on!

By the way, has anyone ever beaten the elite four on a Nuzlocke run?
Thank you very much for the encouragement.

I have seen quite a few people finish the elite four but usually it involves alot of luck or alot of grinding.

Also depends on the elite four :p

Can imagine that, if you put your mind to the FR/LG elite four.

I hope to catch a flying pokemon soon, so I can switch out Brynn. I like Ulric more + I want a Camerupt.

I've canned another one of my runs. I'm starting again, this time with Treecko! Here we have Team Hoenn Force!

Current Team

252.png
290.png

Vega the Male Treecko lvl 14
Kiriko the Female Nincada lvl 7 (Just caught, hasn't been trained)

'Tis all.