• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Newbie Help Topic

Feel newbish for asking this, but how does the warning system work? I've looked and haven't found it. I just know that 3 warnings is Noob'd. I feel extremely bad about my warning because it was foolish of me to get it (i was being stupid) and I was just curious on how long/what it would take for it to go away.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Feel newbish for asking this, but how does the warning system work? I've looked and haven't found it. I just know that 3 warnings is Noob'd. I feel extremely bad about my warning because it was foolish of me to get it (i was being stupid) and I was just curious on how long/what it would take for it to go away.

Hmm... To be perfectly honest, the rules about how our warning system works are outdated. It's not a "three strikes - you're n00bed/banned" sort of thing anymore, and as far as I'm aware nobody has been officially n00bed for quite awhile now (but I'm just speaking from what I've seen, other staff members might say otherwise).

The new warning system is based on posting freedoms. If you're warned beyond a certain amount, all of your posts must be approved by staff before they'll be placed on the forums. If you're warned higher still, you won't be able to post at all. There's a 5% reduction to your warning percentage everyday, just to give people a chance to clean up their act (or several chances in certain cases). However, if someone repeatedly breaks the rules or just does something completely ridiculous it's the same as before - they get banned.

And... that about covers it me thinks. *Will plan to update the rules in that department sometime soon >>;*

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I'm one step ahead of you, Katie - just spared you the headache of editing that into the rules. I saved a backup of the original post locally in case you'd want to restore it.

Thanks for taking the time to answer that.

And so it's basically a week for a behaved "watched" person right? From my understanding watched is 35%.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Basically...

5%-30% = 'Watched'. No detrimental effect, except that we can tell immediately that you have a warning.
35%-55% = 'Moderated'. A moderated user's post must be approved by a staff member before they become publically visible on the board.
60%-100% = Cannot post. Basically, temporarily banned.

hey linkachu

I put pictures onto photobucket and then put the URLs into my signiture but I can only see a link to them not the actual picture.

please help :(

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
That's because you need to encase the URLs with the image tag. use [ img ] before the URL starts and [ /img ] after the URL ends, without the spaces. that should do it.

I took the liberty of fixing it for you - take a look at your forum profile to see how it's done.

OK,

thanks so much for doing it for me I just found the post that said that just as you responded.

Thanks for the help :)

Um, I have a little mystery, too. Sometimes I stumble over a message that says 'You are ignoring this user.' But I can't remember pushing any 'Ignore' button. How can I find out who the 'ignored' user is and how do I reverse it?

Hi again,

I have just got 50 posts and I am trying to put a custom picture as my avatar. I tried puting a URL and then that img in brackets thing in but it didnt work. Please help.

Should be the direct image link, meaning with no img tags. If it still does not work try hosting it on another website like photobucket or imageshack.us and last try should be to save the avatar on the desktop and just select it for upload directly from your profile edit page.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Um, I have a little mystery, too. Sometimes I stumble over a message that says 'You are ignoring this user.' But I can't remember pushing any 'Ignore' button. How can I find out who the 'ignored' user is and how do I reverse it?

Post up a screenshot of the topic you're seeing this in and I'll have a look into it.

Personally, I didn't even realise we had an ignore system to begin with... and I can't find the options for it anywhere. >>

thanks

I just figured out how to do it as you can probably see. I just had to save it to my desktop.
Thanks for advice

[quote author=Dark Soul link=topic=1231.msg129643#msg129643 date=1263453967]

Post up a screenshot of the topic you're seeing this in and I'll have a look into it.

Personally, I didn't even realise we had an ignore system to begin with... and I can't find the options for it anywhere. >>
[/quote]

It's under profile>>personal messaging if you are referring to this kind of ignoring.

Hi, I am new here but hopefully wont be for long. I am an English Grammar proffessor at Oxford Cambridge University. It has come to my attention that you recently banned my son (Silverz96) from this site for using the letter 'U' in a post instead of 'you'. I find it extremely offensive that this would happen and you then used the abbreviation GTFO in your reply. 'U' is an abbreviation so in principal you should also not be allowed to post yourselves.
Yours regretfully, Proffessor A. Silver

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Hi, I am new here but hopefully wont be for long. I am an English Grammar proffessor at Oxford Cambridge University. It has come to my attention that you recently banned my son (Silverz96) from this site for using the letter 'U' in a post instead of 'you'. I find it extremely offensive that this would happen and you then used the abbreviation GTFO in your reply. 'U' is an abbreviation so in principal you should also not be allowed to post yourselves.
Yours regretfully, Proffessor A. Silver

No you're not. You're Silverz96 thinking we're all fucking idiots. For one thing, a Professor would, A) know how to spell the damn word; B) know that Oxford and Cambridge are two different universities; C) know that the word principal refers to the headmaster of a school, while a principle is something you can stand behind.

Now GTFO for real this time.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
... and here I was just about to send a PM XD

Touché, Alex. Touché. ^^

Last edited by a moderator: