• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Newbie Help Topic

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
It comes from the fact that 2 weeks = 14 nights = fourt' nights = fortnight.

I honestly can't understand that this is a "British only" term... it seems pretty standard to me.

In his defense, I have never heard it here (USA's east coast). I've only ever heard it on specifically British things (for example, Monty Python).

Im sorry if I ask too many questions but, how exactly do you put pictures in theese text box thingys? I wanna submit a trainer but Im afraid I dont exactly know how, and Im afraid I might mess up, and another thing how do you make them transparent?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
3. How do I post an image in my signature?

Answer: The first step is to actually access your profile editing page, found by first clicking the "Profile" tab at the top of the forums, then looking on the left sidebar and clicking the "Forum Profile Information" link. Once you've made it that far, you'll see various options such as editing your avatar, changing your personal text and info, etc. To add a signature image, just scroll down to the "signature" text box and use the coding shown below.

Code:
[img]your_image_url_here[/img]

Always remember your img tags and things should work out alright.

4. How do I upload an image off my PC to use on the forums?

Answer: Since the gallery and attachment functions of Charms still aren't working properly, your best bet is to use a free imaging hosting service like Photobucket. They're free, easy to sign up with, and fairly straight forward to use.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
1. How do I get a custom avatar?

Answer: You first need 50 posts. After that, the option will become available on your profile editing page.

If I have to quote from this again, I'm going to hand out warnings.

And remove that fucking abomination from your sig before I do when I ban you.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
It comes from the fact that 2 weeks = 14 nights = fourt' nights = fortnight.

I honestly can't understand that this is a "British only" term... it seems pretty standard to me.

Smartass suggestion - link to http://mw1.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fortnight whenever you use the word :).

I note that Merriam Webster is an American dictionary, and it doesn't mention that the term is specifically British.

S

Serunson

it's been a fortnight (2 weeks for people who still don't understand)
and it's not back up yet.
I guessing by the various things i have seen that you are looking for a new server deal or summit so that more of us people can use this lovely site.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
As I said in my update yesterday, I'm working on sorting out a new server. It'll take as long as it takes to sort it out, but I don't expect it to be more than another couple of weeks.

Im not sure if this the right place to ask this but, does somehting happen to all your posts and threads if you delete your acount.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Yep, or so I think. They either turn into 'guest' posts, or they vanish altogether. I think the person deleting the account has the option to do that, though someone else can confirm it.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Katie's right on this - when deleting an account, one can delete all the deleted accounts posts/threads, or leave them behind as guest posts.

There. Confirmed. ^_~

*scans through the other questions asked to make sure his wasn't already answered, along with scanning through a couple other topics to make sure*

Ok, I didn't see this anywhere, but I'd like to cofirm it. My question involves topic bumping, or "grave digging" as I call it. Closest I saw was that a topic can be on a front page, but bumping it is against the rules. So, do you guys have a defeined time set for topic bumping before it's a violation of the rules? For example, you can't post in a topic older than 2 weeks (unless with a good update) before it's against the rules?

EDIT:

Oh, yes. Almost forgot this as well. The "Chat" option doesn't work for me. It shows the java scriplet loading, but then it goes out and then a little "X" on a piece of paper appears in the top-right corner of the chat window. But as far as I know, my Java scripture is up to date. Is it just the chat option in general, or might it be my computer?

[quote author=The Rules]6. Regarding the revival of dead topics. This is generally acceptable ONLY if there is a new, relevant update, and the thread has only recently died. Threads from early 2006 and back are NOT to be revived unless they have had activity recently. It is generally advisable, however, to let sleeping dogs lie. Also, note: Just because a topic is on the first page of a forum, doesn't mean that it's recent enough to post in - CHECK the dates on EVERY topic you post in.[/quote]

Can't help you with the chat, though. Sorry.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
My question involves topic bumping, or "grave digging" as I call it. Closest I saw was that a topic can be on a front page, but bumping it is against the rules. So, do you guys have a defeined time set for topic bumping before it's a violation of the rules? For example, you can't post in a topic older than 2 weeks (unless with a good update) before it's against the rules?
My personal rule is not to post in a thread whose last activity was more than 6 weeks ago. And if you post in a thread that's more than a couple of weeks old, acknowledge this - say "I realise you might already have found out the answer to your question, but just in case other people were wondering...".

The one exception to this is that I believe it's generally acceptable to bump an old question-asking thread of your own to post the answer if you found it out elsewhere. Sometimes it turns out that other people had been wondering about that too, and it's better to have the context of the old thread than to start a new thread to say randomly "o hai u guys, I found this out" ;).

The thing that gets you n00bed is if you bump an old thread just to add an irrelevant comment. Like, a few minutes ago, a thread of mine from August got bumped with the comment "i just use to hoot hoots heh i got all badges xp". What that had to do with when you can get rid of Defog in the game, I don't know. So said n00b has been nuked from existence. Well, from the site - we haven't yet developed small-range nuclear missiles that can be sent directly to destroy the computer of idiots who post irrelevant crap here. I'm working on that now ;D.

[quote author=The R.S. link=topic=1231.msg38439#msg38439 date=1196008472]
EDIT:

Oh, yes. Almost forgot this as well. The "Chat" option doesn't work for me. It shows the java scriplet loading, but then it goes out and then a little "X" on a piece of paper appears in the top-right corner of the chat window. But as far as I know, my Java scripture is up to date. Is it just the chat option in general, or might it be my computer?
[/quote]
Mmm, it's likely that the javascript got messed up by the host transfer and/or the hacking. #pokecharms works fine, if you have an irc program and can point it to server irc.systemnet.info, channel #pokecharms. Some of us are there now :D.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Katie says (9:03 AM):
6. Regarding the revival of dead topics. This is generally acceptable ONLY if there is a new, relevant update, and the thread has only recently died.

Just to add, reviving your own thread with new information, like new trade offers, a new chapter to a story, or new artwork is considered 'relevant' because that's what the topic is for. Sometimes you just have to bump them because nobody else will/can.

Just to add, reviving your own thread with new information, like new trade offers, a new chapter to a story, or new artwork is considered 'relevant' because that's what the topic is for. Sometimes you just have to bump them because nobody else will/can.

Does that include the character bio threads?

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
The vast majority of people who have more than one character just edit it into their first post, that way they don't have random posts here and there. And it would've made even more sense for you since the poster was indeed you.

Now I did wait around a bit, making sure to give you time if it was just an accidental double post, but you didn't come back to fix it so I gave out a warning. :/

Just posting cause I've got a question. How do you get the the word (you know when they say click here and here is clickable) to link another page? Or something along the lines of that.

Clicking on
url.gif
might help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
This has been answered OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND times. You need a post count of 50 to choose your own. That doesn't mean spam up every thread you see until you hit 50, sensible post plzkthx.

Just put the image tags side by side, without a breaking line between them - like this:

Code:
[img]http://www.whatever.com/image.gif[/img][img]http://www.whatever.com/image2.gif[/img]

i tried that for my signature but it didn't work it just move them along a bit can any one help me (hope this is the write topic)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The chat was b0rked when you tried it - but it should be fixed and working now so long as you have the correct java plugins.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The warning system is under review at the moment, we'll have more information about what will be going on with that in the New Year.