• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Newbie Help Topic

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
The purpose of this topic is to act as a new member 'technical support' if you will, but since posting etiquette is half the battle, read the rules if you have yet to do so. It'll save you - and us - a lot of headaches in the future.

Anyways, a lot of commonly asked questions by newbies can be answered via the User Help page, found by clicking the "HELP" tab. Please read through it first before asking for help, especially the page specifically on Posting.

If by some chance that page doesn't answer your question, feel free to ask any forum/posting-related questions here. Anything notable will be added to this first post Q & A-style.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Commonly Asked Questions

1. How do I get a custom avatar?

Answer: You first need 50 posts. After that, the option will become available on your profile editing page.

2. What are the member ranks and how do I change mine?

Answer: Your member rank is also known as your post count based group. As you've probably guessed, the number of posts you have determines what your member rank is. The full rundown is as follows:

0-50: Newbie
50-75: Trainer
76-150: Skillz0r'd
151-300: Master
300-500: Hercules
500-1000: God
1000-2000: Pwnz0r3
2000+: Get off the bloody computer & get a life

Newbie/Trainer: One PokeBall
Skillz0r'd/Master: Two PokeBalls
Hercules/God: Three PokeBalls
Pwnz0r3 and on: Four PokeBalls

3. How do I put an image in my posts?

Answer: The main thing to remember is the image coding tags. This coding is as follows:

Code:
[img]your_image_url_here[/img]

An example of an image url place within the image tags is this:

Code:
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/Linkachu166/LinkachuBanner.jpg[/img]

Always remember that your opening and closing tags must surround your image url or it won't show up. Alternatively, for easy retrieval of the image tags you can use the "Insert Image" button above your text area when making or editing a post (not present for "Quick Replys" or when editing signatures). This is the button that looks like a picture frame with some trees. Hovering your mouse pointer over it, or any other shortcut button, for a few moments will tell you what each represents.

4. How do I edit my signature?

Answer: The first step is to actually access your profile editing page, found by first clicking the "Profile" tab on the left sidebar under "Forum Navigation", then hovering over the "Modify Profile" tab and clicking the "Forum Profile" link. Once you've made it that far, you'll see various options such as editing your avatar, changing your personal text and info, etc. Just keep scrolling down until you find the edit signature text box and you should be good to go.

5. How do I upload an image off my PC to use on the forums?

Answer: Since the gallery and attachment functions of Charms still aren't working properly, your best bet is to use a free imaging hosting service like Photobucket. They're free, easy to sign up with, and fairly straight forward to use.

6. How do I turn an image into a hyperlink?

Answer: If you're trying to turn an image in your signature/post into a clickable link, you'll need this basic coding present for it to work properly.

Code:
[url=http://www.yourwebsiteurlhere.com][img]your_image_url_here[/img][/url]

Always remember to surround your image url(s) with the website url tags (opening AND closing). It is especially important to remember your url closing tags if you're trying to make several different images linkable to different web pages within the same post/signature. Without them present, everything following will be linked to the same initial url.

7. How do I make a Trainer Card?

Answer: I really think this one goes without saying, but nevertheless... http://www.pokecharms.com/trainercards/
Go to that url, read the paragraph, and then hit the bottom url to start making your card. It's a pretty straight forward system so you shouldn't have any problems working it. And there you have it.

Note that because of the stress on the server caused by the TCM, it may not always be available.

8. How big should my signature be?

Answer: Assuming you've already read the Global Pokecharms forum rules, you should already know the answer to this question. If not, it's highly suggested that you read through them.

9. Where can I introduce myself on the forums?

Answer: The New Member Introduction Thread can fulfill your needs, and is stickied on the Random Chatter forum. If you'd like you introduce yourself, feel free to post in that topic.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
You get a ton of PokeBalls, yeah - six total to be exact ^^

The MasterBall display is just to differentiate Admins between the rest of the different types of members. So, unless you're an Admin... sorry ^^;

On the page that lists topics, look for this on the upper right side of the screen.

newtopicyw3.png

If it's not there, it may have something to do with permissions that I don't deal with.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
What url did you copy after making it? Unless you saved it, then you'll need to upload it somewhere else and get the new url.

After that, you'll need to enter that url, with the forum image tags, into your signature. You can find out the coding for image tags on the posting help page.

A weird question indeed but;
Where is the link to edit your signature.

If it wouldn't be too hard, when answering, please refrain from typing siggy, etc.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
how do you become an admin

Swear yourself to Doc Oak and be his personal bitch.

Kidding.

Kinda... ^^;

I've seen some people with great balls instead of pokeballs... whats up with that

Different levels of power. Some custom titles have styles of PokeBalls outside the standard PokeBall-GreatBall-UltraBall-MasterBall as well.

But don't bother asking if you can be a mod or something. It doesn't work that way :p

A weird question indeed but;
Where is the link to edit your signature.

First you go up to that "Profile" tab at the top of the forums, below where it shows your current avatar, the news, etc., and between the 'chat' and 'Admin' tabs.

Then, you click on the link circled in the picture I attached to this post. That'll lead you to where you can change your signature, avatar, and so forth.

[attachment deleted by admin]

When you put more than one image in your sig, how do you get the images side by side instead of one under the other? I don't want to take up too much space. By the way, is there a limit on how big a signature can be?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Just put the image tags side by side, without a breaking line between them - like this:

Code:
[img]http://www.whatever.com/image.gif[/img][img]http://www.whatever.com/image2.gif[/img]

There's no set limit on Sig sizes, but if you do have a ludicrously sized signature, you will be asked to change it - and failing that, have it simply deleted.

god how many times has the above question been asked T_T

You need 50+ posts to get a custom avatar. Until then you need to use avatars from the pre-uploaded avatars.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
And said pre-uploaded avatars are unfortunately not working at the moment (which has also been asked in this very forum).

I'll fix the problem soon, but until then you'll just have to make do without.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Good to know its serving its purpose =)

I've edited the first post a bit with a couple of more commonly asked questions. If people can think of any others worth adding in there, let me know.

Like where it says "i'm Zubatman" for Oak?

It's an Admin-only feature, sorry.

Alrighty, then! Thanks for clearing that up for me!

And I have another question (I'm so sorry; I'm just kinda cluless ^-^;;):
If you have to make 50 posts to get a custom avatar, how come some people that have less than 50 posts have them? I've seen about 3...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Alrighty, then! Thanks for clearing that up for me!

And I have another question (I'm so sorry; I'm just kinda cluless ^-^;;):
If you have to make 50 posts to get a custom avatar, how come some people that have less than 50 posts have them? I've seen about 3...

Hmm... Who three? Anyone who was around before the 50-posts rule was made and uploaded custom avatars would have them, but most of those members either left ages ago or have more than 50 posts now. What you're probably seeing is some of the less used avatars that are part of the forum-hosted collection (like the Colosseum avatars).

Okay, I'm a newbie here and I've read the Rules, and SPAM explanation thing, but I'm still confused.

I saw the Sprite and Sprite Comics category, and I wanted to post my Pokemon sprites that I've edited/recolored, and they're on another webiste.

I have a lot of sprites, and I'm too lazy to go and post them all on the board, so I was wondering if I could just post the link to the site that I have my Pokemon Sprites on, but there's the advertising rule...

I wouldn't want to get warned or banned or something like that, so I don't know if it's okay to post the link to my Pokemon Sprite website..

x_x Can I get some help please? =/​

Not a newbie but I need help. How can I get more than one image in my signature? The 150 character rule keeps cutting off the second image. I've never had this problem before. I just want to display my trainer card AND my image from Naruto.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Not a newbie but I need help. How can I get more than one image in my signature?

You don't. I imposed a restriction because a lot of people were taking the piss by having half a dozen trainer card images one after another in their signatures - not to mention other pictures.

IF people can be expected to be sensible, I will remove the restriction again, but frankly, considering the shit that's gone on in this place for the last month/two months, I doubt there's more than a handful of people on here that can be trusted to not be a fucking moron any more.