• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Nemesis Generation: Complete!

Nemesis

Former Administrator
Right, I know that this is like, the third topic for this, but meh. I can. Mainly because its been ages since I posted anything.

Most of them have probably been seen before, but there are quite a few new ones, not to mention they are all in the new Dex style. Thanks goes to Stel for the help on sprucing that template up to make it look a lot more interesting!

There are some of the old favorites missing, mainly because I want to post them all in numerical order, and those Pokemon just happen to come later on in the Dex.

Sooo, here we go....

001Florabbit.png

002Buninja.png

003Samurabbit.png

004Turmolta.png

005Turvolca.png

006Metcano.png

007Parrat.png

008Parrotain.png

009Spectain.png

010Chicko.png

011Squarken.png

012Coostral.png

013Sheilug.png

014Armight.png

015Slail.png

016Sheail.png

017Termole.png

018Terill.png

019Moldrill.png

020Cotlyon.png

021Dandylyon.png

022Sheamy.png

023Woolmare.png

024Patchkin.png

025Rootkin.png

026Pumpking.png

To stop this post getting too image heavy, I'll post the next lot, which includes new ones (!) a bit later on!

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Very, very nice, Nem. The attention to detail on the sprites - and the backgrounds! - is incredible, and your Dex entries are incredibly authentic. Good job, and I look forward to seeing more :)

Nemesis

Former Administrator
Ta, Data. Just to point out, the majority of those backgrounds are the FR/LG location images, so I didn't sprite those. Anyways, another load. (No point just sitting on them I guess.)

027Aznymph.png

028Aznaiad.png

029Azperial.png

030Azmer.png

031Toastoar.png

032Furnven.png

033Douno.png

034Nearling.png

035Longshot.png

036Ratiking.png

037Vultrow.png

038Ringzel.png

039Poltameist.png

040Flarebrial.png

041Cereblaze.png

042Hyrbal.png

043Trybal.png

044Cheifral.png

045Carapess.png

046Snowlar.png

047Polalaunch.png

048Herattle.png

049Tinygela.png

050Volteel.png

So yeah, all the finished ones so far. I'm pretty sure the evos/pre evos are obvious...

Amazing, Nem.

I've seen a good number of them in your Staff Showcase on the main site, and the new ones amaze me as well. Also loving the new Dex style.

I love the new pokedex design on them, and I remember the Cheifral =D

I find Furnven hilarious, nice job on them though, Nem.

Also, on Aznymph, which dex entry holds the male sprite, and which holds the female? On Azperial's 'dex entry, it says Azguard on it, thus creating an inconsistency.

Nemesis

Former Administrator
Aznymph and Aznaiad are listed M then F. And yeah, Azperial says Azgaurd, when it shouldn't. It's just because that was its original name.

Anyways, heres a few I whipped up today..

051Kuco.png

052Clockoo.png

053Chronokoo.png

ZOMG TIME TRAVELLING COOCKOS!

Nemesis

Former Administrator
The majority of them are parts stolen from other Pokemon, then squiged together in a way I think is cool. Some of them do have bits or scratch work in them, but I'm not so good at that.

Very nice Nem. Since I've seen most of them, nothing new can be said, though the layout was much better than before.

As to the new additions, they look awesome. Quite nice as well. Love your style and ideas. I shall be waiting here, waiting for more updates Nem.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
It's nice seeing some that I remember, and by rights who could forget Toastoar? I'm loving the newer ones too, especially Kuco's line. His colours are great together and he can TRAVEL THROUGH TIME! That has to be made of win.

I love how for the most part I can tell which Pokemon make up one of your sprites, but also work completely and naturally as new and interesting Pokemon.

Loving the new 'Dex design, and I must say, Ratking for the win!

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
The new layout of your Pokedex is pure win! I love the use of the FRLG scenery as backgrounds and the new Pokemon you've introduced.

Keep 'em coming Nem!

They all look great, it's kind of hard for me to believe that most are just mushes of other sprites. I especially like Dandylyon and Woolmare (evil sheep are a great idea).

These are absolutely wonderful to look at.
I plan on trying to make my own sprites soon.
Did you use mspaint to make these?
Cause that is the only program that I know of that does ' 8bit ' style sprites that are decent to me so far.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
This took waaaaaaaay too long, but I wanted to try giving this a go. In true Nem Gen style - my own attempt at Florabbit:

florabbit.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes! The Nem Gen is back!

I love the Toastear line. I wonder what would happen if anyone actually stuck bread in it?

Nemesis

Former Administrator
A little update.

This latest one uses nothing of Regirock. It just looked so much like it I decided to tie that in to the back story rather than scrap the idea altogether.

054Monumount.png

055Seilon.png

056Pyquake.png

Seilon is extremely unique! The typing for it is interesting, too. My only qualm is that how does it's evolution get caught/retrieved if it is by an unknown amount buried in the ground?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
There's a number of these guys I like, but I think I'll comment on some of the newer designs for now. Kuco's line to be specific. I love the design of Kuco itself and the choice of colors - looks really cool. The evolutions are nice, too, albeit a bit similar in design. I really love the design on their stomachs and how their wings look like the arms of a clock.

Nice one, Nem :)

I love your back story Mounmount, Nem. Very interesting. Seilon and Pyquake are also interesting. I'm curious how the metal frame for Pyquake affects his actual movement underground, but not like it's a pressing issue.

Excellent job Nem.

Well this will be my first time critiquing here. I have critiqued before, but it was mostly with fairly 'bad' splices and sprites. So to do it here, is harder due to the better polish on all the sprites around. I have to say though you're style is very nice, a very deep use of scratching and fusing. A lot of your things look like they are fully scratched. So the stuff I'm about to say about them is in no way saying they are bad or anything, just pointing out a few couple could be errors to try and help you out as a sprite, not saying you need the help though. I apologize for the length, I hope it's not too long/short.

Monumount- Well one thing I noticed was the blue and green pixels. I want to say the green was on purpose most likely, but on the bottom right you have some blue stray pixels on the border. On the subject of borders, you have two different kind. One seems to be left over from Geodude's colors. The slab coming form the top of its head seem miscolored/out of place. Yet I have a hunch it's suppose to be that way. As for the colors though on it, I'm confused as to what it is. Is it like an eye, if so, then what of the things on the body that look like eyes?

The hand/claws are weird, one reason being that they are the same, just flipped around. Altering the borders/changing up the shading would be nice. Copy/flip is nice, but creates a few flaws. The feet also seem to have been done similarly, and their shading is off too. At the bottom of the feet, the shape doesn't seem right, and a hole or two in the borders.

Selion- I think this guy is cute and is a cool idea. Ground and electric is an awesome type combo, and your guys is cute. One problem I find though is that the head isn't very round, pretty bumpy looking. I'm not sure though if that is on purpose or not though. The shading is off on it though for sure. As implied by the rocks, the light source comes from the the top left, like most Pokemon sprites. The shading on your body though is coming from the bottom left. Should be light on the top, darker around the bottom. The borders shade should also be more matching to that, the light border where the light hits it, the top left, and black where it doesn't directly shine or is blocked off, bottom right. Also the metal piece on the head has purple borders, seems kind of off. Either a dark gray, or perhaps a outline of that light blue lightning I think could work nicely on it.

Psyquake - Well one issue I with him is the name, although an awesome name, it implies he is psychic, and not electric. I don't exactly get what the shading on the metal is suppose to be. It's a weird style and I don't get what it's suppose to look like. To me it just looks kind of messy, but that could just be that I'm not use to that style, it isn't really a type that you would see on a Pokemon sprite. I think its cool you're starting to incorporate a good amount of scratching though.

One issue with this guy also is an issue I have a lot, although you didn't do as bad as I have :p. This guy seems to change a tad too little. Sure his lightning rod thing gets huge, but he himself just gets a little bigger and gain menacing eyes. The shading improved, but the way he is facing is off now. It's kind of just a rule of Pokemon sprites, and a good number of other sprites, that the sprite never faces the user. Usually Pokemon have them face to the left. Although to fix that issue, you just need to move the eyes to the left a bit :p.

Copion - This guy has a few of your past flaws. Some green colored borders, the same claws with shading issues. As for new ones, I don't think the legs and stuff match the direction of the back perfectly. In the eye, you got some transparency messed up, you can see some red in it. The shading on the left legs are also a little off. I would say at the joints/knees at the tips, it shouldn't have those dark spots. You really surprise me with what you use on these though. I wouldn't have guessed the head was from spinerak if I wasn't already looking at it assuming you got the feet from it. The dark spot on the head though shouldn't be that shape, or there at all probably, since right the the light source should be shining there.

Chelaepion - On the chest, I see some gray/blue pixels. The position of the left legs, our left, seem off. They seem too far and not attached to the body. The head also seems to be on a very weird angle. Also the use of the same legs and claws is kind of off to me, I mean they should have changed a bit after evolving, same goes for tail. A slight size or shape change could to them some good. The right claw I find a little awkward positioned too.

Well that's all I have to say really. I just kind of picked your more recent ones. I mean if there were any specific you would want some critique on, I could probably eventually find time to do so, that is if you want me too. I in no way meant any of this to sound offensive or anything, just trying to help out. Well good luck with your future endeavors, I hope I was able to help out, even if only a little.

Nemesis

Former Administrator
Wow, cheers,

Outlining/lighting is certainly something I need to work on. No idea how you spotted some of the rouge pixels, I don't see them myself! lol.

The criticism is welcome, but I should probably point out that my main concern is the idea and concepts behind the Pokemon. Whilst I want to get better at spriting, to me the ideas are just as important.

On the subject of Pyquake, the Py comes from Pylon, the metal structure that it is based on.

Sorry then about that. I saw the Py, and automatically assumed an s was in there. I don't know how I spot stray pixels and stuff, I jut zoom in and look around. Sorry I mainly only went towards the pixel issues versus concept issues. It's hard to really critique concept. With concept, you can't really do something 'wrong', just something that someone doesn't like, it's all in a matter of opinion for the most part.

Cerblaze looks a tad too humanoid, then again most fighting type do anyways.

If Ratking is suppose to be an evolution of Raticate, then I'm not too much of a fan of it. Raticate really doesn't need/isn't suppose to have one. I mean, the rattatta family started the cliche' junk normal family with only two forms that has no great purpose. Ratking would ruin that kind of I think.

Armight I think looks too much like a heracross, and I don't like it's typing. It kind of stinks for the bug half of the pokemon. I mean it's a bug, then it isn't. It's kind of a slap in the face to bug types. I guess though something had to be dropped in that combination, so I get the reasoning.

Metcano doesn't quite look like an evolution of Turvolca, more like an alternate version.

That's all I got as far as concept, and that's all stuff that' pure opinion, sorry I could be of more help with that.

Nemesis

Former Administrator
Metcano isn't meant to look so small, I think thats waht makes it look like less of an evolution.

As for Ratiking, like Vultrow, it is an evolution. And sure, they were "junk" Pokemon, but everything changes eh?

On the subject of Armight, it mainly lost the Bug type due to the 4X fire weakness, although fighting suits it. Anyways....

059Blafysh.png

060Sworfysh.png

Swordfish for the win. Love this design Nem. I find it very amusing to look at. The Dex entry also amuses me to a degree. Of course, another amazing job Nem.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Didn't get a chance to post last night, with my connection being even more annoying that usual

I love the last evolved form of each of them I'm not to fond of Turmolta though. I wish they would put the last form of Turmolta in a game though I would love to catch it :).

I certainly like Sworfysh's expression. It's like 'Eee! Let's go cut things apart!" The bladed 'nose' looks well shaded and drawn, too.

My Banette, you evolved her!

Doesn't look to bad, actually. Much of what I've seen of Banette evolutions involves puppertry.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I'm liking Brellosaur, even if it does look a bit scary XD

I really like the concept and story of Duglabor. It reminds me a little of Ouroboros, with the 'scouts' starting from the first evolution again, which I quite like. The sprite looks a little weird on that background though, as half of him appears to be floating out of a cave.

Exeggutive is a good evo, and I love how the others may not obey the 'boss coconut' XD

Genuwoodo is a perfect evolution. I love how he became a 'proper' tree!

Mastette is evil. I've never particularly liked Banette, because I dislike her 'Dex entries and just find her a little spooky/evil. Methinks you carried over that trait nicely.

Terrabone has to be my favourite. The tie in with Red/Blue is quite nice with the Mother watching over her young. I love the bones on the sprite, it's very well put together.

Nemesis

Former Administrator
The purple fog is stolen from Gastly.

For Banette > Mastette, I think my idea was level up (or trade) whilst holding Puppet Strings, or something similar.

I'll must say I really like all of them, though Genuwoodo did just break me down into a laughing fit.