• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join The Kanto Pokemon Trainer Graduate Intake (Pokemon Journey Anime Style) 2.0

Jonathan was on his phone happily chatting away with his mom. On the other hand Yeti was searching around in front of route 1, He was quite bored so he decided to cut the grass near him until he heard rustling coming from one of them. Yeti ran back to Jonathan and poked him abruptly, "H-Hey what are you-" before Jonathan could even finish his statement he heard the rustling grass as well. Jonathan ended the phone call with his mom politely then headed towards the grass of notice. He signaled Yeti to get ready and so he did, Jonathan then cleared away the grass.

(OOC: Sorry for the kind of short post)

Last edited:
Bellsprout gave a mean look to the attack, focusing on how fast it was moving. It was it's first battle, it needed to win. Once the punch got close, Bellsprout ducked underneath it. Julian quickly decided to use a move, "Uh... quick, use Growth!". He had no idea what this move did, and was surprised when he saw his Pokemon grow nearly double it's stature. Orange energy concealed it, as if powering it up. Bellsprout charged for the Tyrogue, it's vines extending outwards trying to grab it.

Near the front of route 1, A Zigzagoon limped towards through a bit of shrubbery but stopped as it whimpered in pain. The Zigzagoon lifted its saw paw and inspected the large thorn in the foot of the tiny raccoon Pokemon. The skinny normal type starts to get sleepy and slowly flicker their eyes as the Pokemon starts to feel weaker.

Tyrogue threw a fierce punch but The Belssprout ducked under with ease despite the speed of the attack. Tyrogue athletically rolled as he landed to take the momentum.
"Bellsprout thin body certainly makes it a harder target to hit as well as more nimble at the same time." Fraser thought. Fraser's eyebrows furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "Did the Bellsprout just increase in size? It's a safe bet to think that means it's attacks increased," Fraser pondered. "We need to keep up the pressure before Bellsprout can counter. Use Tackle!" Tyrogue then ran once more towards the grass type but using his whole body for the attack rather than a punch.

(Sorry for late reply)

(OOC: Oh my god. It has taken me so long to do my first post)
Isabelle was so excited to become a trainer that when she was waiting a while she started to silently panic. She was almost visibly startled when her name was finally called. Isabelle went up and got her Pokedex, Badge Case, and the most important thing to Isabelle: Her Starter. "Thank you, Professor" "Congratulations." Isabelle head outside and sent out her starter out. Her starter was a shinx. "Wow you're a shinx." she said as she pulled out her pokedex. "All of its fur dazzles if danger is sensed. It flees while the foe is momentarily blinded." "Shinx-Shi-Shix" said the shinx as he jumped up and down happily. "I'm gonna name you Lucky!" she said as the shinx jumped up and down as if he liked his new name. "Let's go do some shopping Lucky!" she said as she did a slight jog up to one of the stalls and bought a couple of potions.

Jonathan crouched in front if the weak Zigzagoon, Jonathan kept his composure he remembered what his mom did because she owned a daycare in the city. He asked Yeti to cut a piece of his sweater and carefully pulled the thorn out and safely as he could. After he finished he wrapped the cloth around the paw, He picked the Pokemon up and carried it to the lab. "Professor! We have an hurt Pokemon!" Jonathan shouted.

Jonathan saw a girl buying potions and ran up to her and took one if them. "Sorry real sorry but this Pokemon is hurt! I'll pay you back as soon as i'm done!" He sprayed the potion on the Zigzagoon making it feel a bit better, Jonathan then threw two hundred poké on the counter and ran to find the professor.

Professor Oak was talking to some graduate trainers as well as some journalists for news outlets trying to get an interview with the great Professor Oak. That'll certainly get them a few clicks online. An aide caught the attention of the Professor and pointed to a young trainer rushing towards him holding what seems to be holding a small Zigzagoon.

"Is everything alright?" Professor Oak asked the worried trainer. As he inspected the Zigzagoon, he noticed how skinny and weak the zigzagoon looked. it needed immediate help. "Oh dear," Professor Oak added. "Please come with me inside my lab, I'll have one of my aides look Zigzagoon over," Professor Oak gestured toward the lab and guided Jonathan inside.

Jonathan hurried inside of the lab and placed it on the table for the aid to examine. Jonathan heart raced, he did all he can but he fears it wasn't enough. Yeti cried out to Jonathan to try to calm him, Jonathan looked at his worried Pokemon and calmed down. He took a chair and put Yeti on his lap, "I bet he'll be okay, Oak knows shat he is doing" Jonathan sighed.

"Well, that was weird. At least he paid," said Isabelle as she bought another potion from the slightly shocked stall cashier. "Alright Lucky, I'm pretty sure I triple checked my backpack and we should have everything we need to start our journey." "Shinx-Shinx!" said Lucky excitedly while jumping up and down. "Before we go though, I'm gonna give you something Lucky." said Isabelle as she dug through her backpack. "Alright, here you are!" said Isabelle as she wrapped a small yellow bowtie around the blue lynx. "Shinx-Shi-Shinx!" said the Shinx jumping up and down as she jumped on Isabelle's shoulder. "Glad you like it. We should probably make our way to our first gym In Pewter City, and I don't doubt your skills we're going to have a pretty rough time if we go at a Rock Gym alone. We're gonna have to find a new team member before we get to Pewter City." Lucky nodded his head in agreement as they both set off to route 1.

MarshmallowCloud

Previously PrimarinaHatterne
Abigail didn’t pause to look up at Mark, stranded in the ethereally sweet taste of her curry. It was as if someone had misspelled “deserted” as “desserted” in deserted island. Each nibble was a fragment of the heavens. “Noi. Bat!” Celeste screamed, swatting at her hand. “BAT!”

“Fine,” she sighed. She scooped a little curry into her plastic spoon and lifted it to the Noibat’s tongue. Celeste slurped it up eagerly. “Noi... Noi, Noi, Noi!” she applauded. The greedy Pokémon dove to steal the bowl, to which Abigail covered it with her chest. “Noi!”

“Alright, that’s enough, missy. Back in the Poké Ball,” she declared. The red beam sucked Celeste in, Abigail feeling guilty while finishing up her curry.

Mark and Tox both raised an eyebrow when they saw the display of Celeste wanting to eat Abigail's curry. "Is it that tasty for the Pokemon to try and steal it?" Mark said as he ate the last of his curry, Tox gave a shrug and sipped his water while Mark sipped his soda. "Don't leave her in there for too long, something tells me leaving her in there like that might put her in a real bad mood after you let her back out." Mark suggested as he moved to his Malasada and licked his lips, the Toxel eyed the Malasada with curiosity and Mark gently tore a piece off for him to try, both trainer and Pokemon took a bit and their faces lit up at the flavor. "Abigail, you and Celeste need to try these Malasadas. If it's your first time, I might record your reaction." Mark said playfully.

The aides urgently attended to the Zigzagoon whilst Professor Oak scanned it and looked at the screens nearby for a possible diagnosis. On the screen, it says, that the Zigzagoon is suffering from an infected wound and it not being far from starvation.

A bit later, Professor Oak walks over to Jonathan and sits in the chair next to him. "Zigzagoon is going to be alright, it just needs some rest," Professor Oak said to Jonathan. "The small wound in its foot got infected and was getting serious. It would have gotten really bad if you hadn't brought Zigzagoon in when you did. Thank you," Professor Oak smiled. His eyebrows then furrowed as he looked at Zigzagoon again. "However, it doesn't answer why it had gotten that skinny and weak. A wild Zigzagoon should be able to live in the wid just fine. If it belonged to a trainer it would have come up alongside the diagnosis. I suspect that this Zigzagoon got caught when it was very young, but got released recently and since it had always been in care. It struggled to thrive in the wild," Professor Oak suggested. "This Zigzagoon won't be able to be released into the wild again. It'll have to be in care or be given to a trainer. We have plenty of sanctuaries that the Zigzagoon can live in. So there's no way that this will happen to the Zigzagoon again,"

“Oh dear... I obviously wouldn’t want another attack to hit, but now Bellsprout is a larger target,” he said to himself. It was too late, the Tyrogue’s Tackle was a Critical Hit as well. “No!,” he shouted,” Bellsprout, use Vine Whip, stat!” The Grass-Poison type extended its leaves out to the Tyrogue menacingly.

(I’m also sorry for this late post.)

Jonathan blew a sigh of relief when he heard the news. Jonathan stood up and nodded, "Thank you Professor and make sure that Zigzagoon gets a great home, I'm off!" Jonathan waved and left the lab once more. Yeti was happy that the other Pokemon was safe even though eventually he would have to battle himself, He did still care for the Pokemon. Jonathan reached route 1 were he saw the girl from earlier, Jonathan slapped his head. Even though it was in a time of need he did feel embarrassed that he grabbed the potion from her. He walked up to the girl in the route, "Hey i'm really sorry for earlier that i stole one of your potions like that..." He blushed a little after the thought of doing that.

When Tyrogue managed to cleanly land the tackle, Fraser got a rush at landing his first attack in a battle. However, Fraser needed to get rid of any bit of complacency as Bellsprout didn't hesitate in retaliating with a vine whip. The Vine Whip whipped Tyrogue with fierce force completely making the small vine whip from earlier seem like a wet napkin in comparison. The Growth could be felt behind the power of the grass type attack. The second Vine Whip hit Tyrogue's chest launching him back and crashed landing on his back.

"Use Mach Punch!" Frase demanded. Tyrogue then launched forward with a glowing fist once more gaining great speed and threw the mach punch at the Bellsprout.

"Lucky, find anything?" "Shi-Ni-hinx" "I couldn't find anything to help us either. All I found were a bunch of Rattata, nothing that will help us against Bro-" Isabelle was interrupted by a teen in a varsity jacket. "Oh you're that guy who took one of my potions. It's no trouble. You paid after all" said Isabelle as Lucky ran up to Isabelle and sat right next to her. "By the way, my name's Isabelle. This is Lucky" said Isabelle as Lucky jumped up and cheerfully introduced himself. Lucky jumped up on Isabelle's shoulder.

Last edited:
Fraser and Tyrogue went back to finish their appropriately sized bowls of noodles.
"Hey Tyrogue, what do you think of the name Blake. It's a cool name I think to match you," Fraser suggested but Tyrogue being mostly preoccupied with the small bowl of noodles. Blake glanced up and nodded in agreement with his name and continued finishing his dish.
"Blake it is then. My name is Fraser," Fraser said. Fraser felt slightly awkward since he felt slightly intimidating at the alpha aura that Tyrogue protruded despite his small stature.

Blake and Fraser finished their dishes and headed to route 1 after buying some supplies from the stalls such as some potions, pokeballs and antidotes. Fraser took in a deep breath of the fresh air of adventure and his thrilling future of being a pokemon trainer. Fraser looked beside him to Blake but noticed him start walking forward as if he was leading the way, the confident posture certainly made it seem that way. Fraser opened his pokedex to look at the town map.

"Viridian City is the next destination. It says there's a pokemon gym challenge there but it's for trainers with 7 badges and it's the strongest one in the region. Sounds tough," Fraser examined the other possible sights of the next city.

"Pidgey!" Fraser spun towards the angry Pokemon cry to see Blake attacking the wild flying type Pokemon.

"Umm...Sure okay. We'll have a battle then..." Fraser thought since Blake clearly had the initiative.

The Pidgey flew up to get momentum and flipped back down for a tackle attack at Blake. "Use Fake Out!" Fraser demanded. Blake fiercely smacked his hands together unleashing a shock wave to the bird Pokemon making it flinch and lose focus of its attack. "Follow it up with a Mach Punch!" Blake then run forward and threw a glowing punch hitting the cheek of the Pidgey launching it up in the air. The Pidgey ragdolled for a moment before getting its bearing again, widening its wings and gaining control of its flight. The Pidgey countered by vigorously flapping its wings picking up strong gusts of winds at Blake. The Tyrogue struggled to remain on its feet as the winds grew stronger. "Hang in there, Blake!"

"Ty," Blake grunted as it dug his heels down and tensed his body trying to endure the strong Gust attack. Eventually, the gust stopped but it dealt a lot of damage to the fighting type Pokemon. The Pidgey urgently angled down quickly flying down to the ground then changing angle low down as it shot towards Blake. Tyrogue who was still flinching from the gust attack didn't notice the quick movements of the flying type Pokemon.

"Blake lookout in front!" Fraser yelled. Blake dropped his guarding arm to see the marauding Pokemon. "Use Tac-" The Pidgey crashed into Blake landing a critical hit Tackle, crushing the Tyrogue back. "Blake no!" Tyrogue flew on to his back and slowly stood up, tensing his jaw. "Damn, your tough Blake," Fraser said. Tyrogue stepped forward, then jogged, the sprinted at the Pidgey.

"Tyrogue!" Blake roared at the Pidgey. The Pidgey unfazed with at the charging Pokemon, swept its wing at the dirt beneath it launching a sand attack and landing the sand in Blake's eyes. "Rogue," Blake cried as it tripped over a rock and faceplanted in front of the cocky bird Pokemon. The Pidgey nonchalantly pecked at the lying Pokemon then flew away.

"Blimey, what are these Pidgey's eating?" Fraser muttered as he rushed over to his partner Pokemon. Fraser picked him up and rested him on his lap. Blake was obviously in pain but his devastation of losing a Pokemon battle was even more explicit in his face. His bottom lip tremored as his jaw clenched and his eyebrows angrily angled like a cartoon.

"Hey, there's no need to be upset. It was a good fight and it was only your first battle," Fraser tried to reassure the upset Pokemon as he frantically got the potion out of his bag. He sprayed the potion on Tyrogue causing him to whimper in pain. "Hey, it's okay. It'll make you feel better." Tyrogue whined as he shrugged off Fraser grip as he wandered over to the rock he tripped over and grumpily kicked it. "Hey, Blake, You need to rest. Your hurt," Fraser said as he pulled out Blake's Pokeball. Blake squinted and grumbled as he went inside the Pokeball.

"Well that was a disaster," Fraser sighed as he put his Pokeball away and continued down route 1.

"Jeez, I've been looking for like an hour, and I haven't found anything other than a couple of rattata." said Isabelle to Lucky. Isabelle kicked a rock and it landed on a small clump of grass. The clump of grass jumped out and it turned out to be an Oddish. "Dish! Dish! Oddish!" said the Grass-type pokemon while stomping, obviously angered that its sleep was interrupted. The oddish blew a cloud of purple dust toward Lucky and Isabelle. "Lucky, that's Poison Powder! Dodge it!" said Isabelle as they both jumped out of the way of the poisonous cloud with Isabelle covering her mouth trying not to breathe it in. "Looks like we have a battle on our hands." "Shinx" said the shinx as it's fur starts crackling electricity. "Let's start out with Quick Attack" said Isabelle. Lucky ran up and rammed his body into the plant pokemon. The attack was a direct hit. Oddish rolled backward from the attack, but it recovered quickly. The oddish cheeks puffed up and it spat out Acid. "Lucky try to dodge it" said Isabelle, and even though Lucky dodged most of it but a small part of the spray still hit the Shinx. The oddish prepared another Acid. "Shoot, it's going to use Acid again! What to do? Wait, use Eerie Impulse!" said Isabelle as the Shinx fired a wave of electricity at the Oddish. The oddish shuddered from the wave and although it still fired the acid it was much weaker and easily dodged by the Shinx. "Finish it off with Spark!" said Isabelle as Lucky charged Electricity around it's body and ran into the Oddish. "Alright, time to catch it." said Isabelle as she dug through her bag for a Pokeball. She found an empty one and threw it right at the Oddish. It shook three times and glowed indicating a successful chapter."We did it! We caught an Oddish!" said Isabelle as the shinx jumped into Isabelle's arms.

Fraser pondered as he continued through route 1, reflecting on the failed battle against the Pidgey.
"As much as Blake is as confident and cocky. It seems that right now it's only a facade and when he actually faces a Pokemon that has the type advantage." Fraser tried thinking of what he may have learnt from that battle but struggle to think of what he could've done differently. It just seemed purely outmatched. "Do I need to catch a new Pokemon for possible type coverage? I mean usually, Pokemon have a choice of four moves. Blake only has three." Fraser felt lonely as he walked through the vibrant route, the wildlife around was lively but he walked on a run down dirt road. "I guess it was naive to think that I'll win every battle. I just need to work with what I've got,"

The town ambience could be heard and Fraser noticed Viridian City in front of him. Fraser didn't waste any time and followed the signs for the Pokemon Center which was hard to miss with the large red roof. The clear doors slid open a with a ding and Fraser walked in. There was a couple of trainers which he slightly recognised from the ceremony but not that many of them.

"I guess a lot of trainers are still in route 1."

There were stalls in the Pokemon Center in preparation for the influx of new trainers through from Pallet Town. Fraser went to the counter and handed Nurse Joy Blake's Pokeball.

"Hey there, just the one Pokemon?" Nurse Joy asked with a warm smile. Fraser nodded. Nurse Joy scanned the Pokeball showing a picture of a Tyrogue and Fraser's details.

"My Tyrogue was in a battle and got hurt quite a bit. I used a potion but I think it only did so much." Fraser added.

"Very well, we'll take good care of Tyrogue. If you're a new trainer, we're giving away some useful items if you would like to help yourself, but be sure to leave some for your fellow trainers." Nurse joy said.

"Wow, yeah I'll check it out," Fraser walked to the stalls as Nurse Joy took the Pokeball in a tray to the back of the Pokemon Center. There was a small stall that had treats and poffins for Pokemon which were appropriately coloured for the typing.

Monroe wrapped her arms around the baby Pokemon's midsection and picked him up, wincing at the weight and burning sensation on her arms. His skin was hot, but he luckily didn't struggle at being picked up, gangly limbs swinging as his new trainer carried him through the crowd. "Alright, now that you've had your snack, let's go buy a few things and head out on the road, okay?" Monroe huffed, placing Magby on the ground away from any heavy feet and rubbing the stinging skin on her arms. The little fire-type simply chewed on his food and exhaled more tiny embers, content for the time being. Meanwhile, Monroe stood in line and, once it was her turn, bought a few Pokeballs and Potions, just in case they ran into trouble.

Magby was still where she'd left him, and followed her as she walked towards Route 1. As they did so, she realized that she still hadn't given the little guy a name. She looked down at where her companion waddled. He'd since finished his snack, and had set fire to the little skewer it had come with, ash blowing in the wind. She snickered. "How about I call you Flint from now on?" She wondered aloud. Clearly not expecting to be adressed, the Magby looked up at her with curious eyes. It didn't look like a 'no,' so she nodded in satisfaction. Suddenly, Flint perked up his head, and Monroe followed his gaze to where the leaves of a bush rustled. Flint approached, peering into the foliage.

"Flint, wait--" Monroe began to warn, but stopped when her companion yelped in pain and stumbled backward, holding his arm. The trainer rushed to his side and tried to see what was wrong. Before she could do much, however, the bush nearby rustled angrily and and brown shape crawled forward, chittering in agitation. Monroe took out her Pokedex as quickly as she could and scanned the Pokemon.

"Weedle: the Hairy Pokemon. A bug-and-poison-type, its poison stinger is very powerful. Its bright-colored body is intended to warn off its enemies. It is often found in forests and grasslands, and has an extremely acute sense of smell. It is capable of distinguishing its favorite kinds of leaves from those it dislikes just by sniffing with its big red proboscis."

"Poison? That doesn't sound good," Monroe thought aloud. "But you're a fire-type, so you can take on a bug. What d'you think?"

Flint got to his feet, fired up once again. Monroe grinned. "Alright, use Leer to weaken it a bit!" Flint did so, black eyes glinting sharply. The Weedle shuddered, but didn't look any less angry at having its nap interrupted, and shot a string of gooey web at its opponent. Flint looked down in surprise, tugging at the sticky string.

"That's no problem, you don't need to move far to use an Ember attack!" The flames that came out of Flint's mouth were not unlike those that he breathed naturally, but far larger and glowed like tiny stars. The attack hit the Weedle and, in its weakened state, the bug-type cried out in pain. Even so, it crawled toward the Magby and launched itself, headfirst, at him. Flint couldn't avoid it fast enough with his feet still tangled up in the Weedle's silk, so he put his arm up to take the Poison Sting attack instead. Flint cried out in pain as the barb punctured his skin again, and Monroe winced in sympathy.

"Quick, while it's in close, another Ember attack!" Flint spit another round of small flames at the Weedle with enough force to knock it backwards. With another cry, the bug-type collapsed. Monroe grinned. "Great! Now--huh?" She looked down at Flint, who, instead of looking excited, was gripping his arm with a pained expression. She knelt beside him and looked at the wound, which was growing bruised and purple. It looked like the wound had been poisoned, and she hadn't even thought to buy any Antidotes back in Pallet, which was too far to walk now. They could only walk foward. "Okay, no more fighting for you, buddy. Come on, return." With that, she recalled him to his Pokeball for the first time since they'd left the lab, and took off for the nearest city at a run.

The calming jingle went off before an announcement was made through the tannoy system. "Please can Fraser come to the front desk. Your Pokemon are fully healed and are ready to be picked up," Fraser lifted himself off the comfortable seats and went to the front desk where a tray of one Pokeball was giving to him. "Here you are Fraser, your Tyrogue is back to full health and feeling much better," Nurse Joy smiled warmly.

"Thank you so much, Nurse Joy," Fraser smiled in response. He picked up the Pokeball and concernedly gazed at the Pokeball as he wondered over at the comfortable seats near the side. "Sure he may be physically back to full health, but his ego and confidence would have definitely taken a hit," Fraser thought to himself. He sent out Tyrogue regardless. For a moment, Tyrogue was standing slumped with a frown. As he noticed Fraser in front of him, he quickly adjusted his posture, stuck his chest out and put on a proud smile. "Hey mate. I got you some poffins," Fraser pulled out some tasty poffins wrapped in a green handkerchief that rested in a brown basket. Fraser unwrapped the handkerchief and held the basket in front of Blake. Blake picked up the brown poffin and took a bite. After a few chews, a small smile started to grow but Blake tried to hide it. Fraser quietly sighed in relief that he could at least improve Blake's mood somewhat.

"Breaking News"

The television attached to the ceiling was suddenly loudly playing something from the news channel. A small crowd started to form around the television and Fraser squinted at the tv to see what all the commotion was about.

"Today in eastern and central Kanto, there have been reports of criminal activity such as robbery of Pokemarts for items and trainers getting attacked and getting their Pokemon stolen from them. It is yet to be confirmed if it's the return of infamous Team Rocket or a brand new criminal group altogether. The Police Force is yet to make any arrests related to these recent criminal activities and Officer Jenny has been requested that trainers take extra care and try to avoid travelling alone when possible. If you have any information on the recent robberies and attacks, please report to the nearest Police Station. Thank you, this has been The Kanto Evening News,"

Nervous murmurs and chats started during the broadcast and got louder as the news ended. Fraser glanced at Blake but he seemed to prioritised with his collection of poffins.

"Wow, I can't believe that crime has started to go up again. I wonder if it is Team Rocket. The motive or goal isn't that clear since Giovanni didn't return to them the last time they reformed. " Someone in the crowd said.

"I guess Team Rocket is what Team Galactic was in Sinnoh, there's a lot of new trainers at risk now. Hopefully they see this news alert," Fraser said to himself.

Last edited:
Monroe was beginning to wonder if she'd made a mistake by not turning back. The Weedle wasn't the only Pokemon she ran into, but instead of confronting them she quickly sidestepped and continued on her way. There was no way she'd make Flint fight while he was still suffering the effects of the Weedle's poison. Luckily, she began to spot buildings between the trees, and soon after emerged into Viridian City.

After asking a couple of pedestrians for directions, Monroe entered the Pokémon Center and waited for her turn at the front desk, tapping her foot with worry. Her calves burned as she did so, and despite herself, she smiled. She hadn't gotten a workout like that since she left home. Maybe once Flint was better, she'd take him jogging. Monroe snapped out of her thoughts as Nurse Joy called for the next person in line.

"Can you help? My Magby's been poisoned," Monroe asked. When the nurse held out her hand, the young trainer gave her Flint's Pokeball.

"It's a good thing you brought it when you did. Poison can wear a Pokémon down even when they're in their Pokeball," the nurse told her, placing the ball in a tray. "But no worries! We can take care of it. In the meantime, you may want to pick up some supplies while you wait. They've mostly got treats and things, but there's plenty there that would be useful for new trainers."

"Is it that obvious?" Monroe chuckled sheepishly. It was meant to lighten her own mood, but she still frowned. All that time in Trainer's School was useful, sure, but it hadn't prepared her for how uncomfortable she would be seeing her new companion hurt. She made her way for the stalls that were selling poffins and even a small selection of fruit and berries. She browsed the table with interest, and after some consideration, picked up a few Pecha and Oran berries, as well as two red poffins for Flint when he was ready. As she was carefully putting the supplies away in her bag, a news program cut through the neutral ambiance of the clinic. She paused to listen to it, coming closer to get a better view.

"That's not good," Monroe murmured as the broadcast ended. She vaguely remembered hearing of Team Rocket, as they'd been in her home region for a brief period of time, though not exactly in close proximity. She'd need to be cautious, just in case it really was the same group. Even if it wasn't, attacks and robberies were no joke. Something purple caught her eye all of a sudden, and she did a double take to see a familiar-looking Pokémon munching on some poffins. Familiar, because she'd only ever seen one, and it had been at the Intake ceremony. Looking up at the trainer beside it, he did indeed also look familiar.

"Hey, you're from the Intake ceremony, right? The one hosted by Professor Oak?" she spoke up, approaching the pair. "Not that I'm surprised. Are you traveling with a group?"

(Hi guys, I’m new to this site and thought it would be fun to do this. Since I’m a little late, my post will be a bit long to try and catch up to the on-going story.)

Marcus had recently returned home to Saffron City in Kanto when he received an email from Professor Oak inviting him to travel to Pallet Town to be a part of this year’s Kanto Pokemon Trainer Intake class. Marcus was thrilled that after years of hard work in school he was finally able to join the Indigo League Challenge and set out on his very own Pokemon adventure.

This truly was a dream come true for Marcus, and Professor Oak’s letter was a little bit of validation for his decision to change his path in life a few years ago. Marcus had left his hometown of Saffron City three years ago to travel to the Kalos region to enroll in the Lumiose City Academy. The academy was famous for its academic studies in science, technology, engineering, and math, and at the time Marcus dreamt of studying engineering at the academy with hopes of working for Silph Corporation one day. However, Marcus began to struggle in his classes and fall behind the other students after just a few months at the academy. He began questioning what he was doing and found himself burnt out by the end of the first semester. Needing a break from STEM classes, Marcus enrolled in an elective class called “Introduction to Pokemon Battling and League Challenges.” That class changed his life. Marcus found himself voraciously reading everything he could about different Pokemon battling strategies and types of Pokemon in the world. He couldn’t get enough of it. Shortly after that class, he withdrew from the engineering program and enrolled in the academy’s special Pokemon trainer school. Marcus excelled at the school and was even a member of the Lumiose City Academy’s competitive battling team and would travel across Kalos for matches.

Graduation was bitter-sweet for Marcus. First, he had to give up all of his Pokemon that he battled with since they were technically owned by the academy and not him. Second, while he enjoyed learning about Pokemon training, he was worried about what he would do now to survive in the world. One of his close childhood friends was an officer in the Saffron City Police Department and doing well for herself. Another close friend got a banking job in Celadon City. Marcus? Well, he was broke and, unfortunately, Pokemon training wasn’t very lucrative financially. Marcus purchased a plane ticket back home to Saffron City shortly after graduation, deciding it was his best option since he didn’t have a job and was running out of money. He could figure out his life once he was back in Kanto.

Marcus checked his email one more time on the night before he was to set off for Pallet Town just to make sure Professor Oak’s invitation was real. He still hadn't gotten a job in Saffron City, and thanks to Professor Oak's invitation, he could now embark on what he hoped would be a life-changing adventure. He had planned to take a two-day train ride from Saffron City to Pallet Town, and he planned it so he would arrive at Professor Oak’s lab about an hour before the ceremony. Marcus grinned and laid back in bed. “Wow, I can’t believe this is real,” he said to himself. “I’m envious of my friends, but I bet they’ll be envious of me when they hear the news, hehe!”

The train encountered a delay near the Mt. Moon area, forcing the trip to be delayed by about two hours. Marcus was a nervous and anxious wreck the whole train ride after that, images forming in his mind about worst-case scenarios. “What if the missed the ceremony? What if he couldn’t get his Pokemon and enter the Indigo League?” Marcus became nauseous just thinking about it.

Finally, the train arrived in Pallet Town, and Marcus bolted upright and rushed out of the train as fast as possible. By the time he arrived at Professor Oak’s laboratory, the ceremony had already begun. Marcus stealthfully walked inside the room and found an empty chair near the back of the room. He sat down and prayed he hadn’t missed his name being called.

The ceremony dragged on and on, and yet Marcus’ name hadn’t been called. He resigned himself to the fact that he may have missed his turn and began thinking of ways to speak with Professor Oak and apologize about his tardiness. Maybe he could still receive his starter Pokemon? Just as Marcus was trying to find a way out of his situation, he looked up and heard Professor Oak say “Congratulations” to a girl named Isabelle. “Cool, she got a Shinx!” Marcus thought. He reminisced about the Shinx he had befriended at the academy. They would always play together and go on runs.

“Next up… Oh another Kanto trainer! Please welcome Marcus Garza to the stage,” Professor Oak announced. Marcus was still deep in thought about Shinx when he heard his name called. He hesitated for a moment, almost in disbelief that his name had been called. Marcus nervously got up out of his chair and walked to the front of the room.

“Congratulations Marcus. Here I will present you with an updated Pokedex, a tempered glass case for your badges that you will earn while competing in the Indigo League, and finally…” Professor Oak reached to his side and pulled out a Poke ball. “Here is the Poke ball for your very own starter Pokemon. Please throw it and see who will be your partner.”

Marcus couldn’t hide a huge smile on his face. He placed his Pokedex in his pocket and slid his backpack off his shoulders to place the gym bade case in the backpack before opening his Pokeball. Finally, Marcus threw the Pokeball in front of him and a burst of white light engulphed the room. He thought he heard a hissing noise, which startled Marcus. Then a long and slim form manifested before his eyes. The Pokemon was purple all over its body, save yellow eyes, a yellow stripe across its neck, and a yellow… rattler?

“Oh no!” Marcus cried in shock. “It’s, It’s….”

The Pokemon finished Marcus’ thought, crying out “Ekans! Ekans!”

“Congratulations once again,” Professor Oak said. “It looks like you have an Ekans. Please treat Ekans well, and it will treat you well.”

“Uh yea, thank you Professor,” Marcus rebutted.

Ekans kept sticking its tongue in and out, and its rattler was making a lot of noise. The Pokemon began slithering toward Marcus, but Marcus quickly jumped back and recalled the Pokemon to its ball. “Great,” Marcus thought as he returned to his seat. “I’m terrified of snakes! Why did my starter have to be an Ekans?”

-----

Once the ceremony ended, Marcus got up and joined some of the other trainers in line to buy food. He bought a chicken sandwich for himself and some Pokemon food for Ekans. Marcus found an empty bench and ate his sandwich alone, keeping Ekans at a safe distance inside its Pokeball.

“I’ve been wanting to face and overcome my fears, but this is a little crazy. I wasn’t expecting this,” Marcus thought to himself while he ate. He felt more and more guilty about his reaction to seeing Ekans for the first time as he ate. Once Marcus finished his food and threw away his trash, he found a spot on the grass with a tree to sit down and figured he would attempt a second chance at introductions with Ekans.

“Come on out Ekans,” Marcus said as he threw the Pokeball. Ekans appeared and immediately began hissing. His eyes appeared to be glaring at Marcus. Or was it just his imagination?

“Look I’m sorry Ekans, it’s just I’m… I’m scared. I’m sorry,” Marcus felt ashamed of admitting that to his new Pokemon. Ekans began slithering toward Marcus but stopped when he put his hand out to pet Ekans. Ekans hissed again and refused to let Marcus pet him, instead feinting a strike to his hand.

“Hey, what are you doing?!” Marcus shouted at Ekans and quickly returned it to its Pokeball.

Now Marcus felt even worse. All the other new trainers appeared to be getting along just fine with their Pokemon. Marcus continued to sit underneath the tree and ponder what his next move would be.

He must have fallen asleep, because when Marcus next looked around, most of the new trainers had already left. “I guess I should head out too,” he thought. Marcus stopped at a vendor where he purchased three Pokeballs and two potions.

“I remember hearing a lot of trainers talk about heading to Route 1. I guess I should head over there myself. Maybe Ekans will have calmed down by the time I get there and I can actually feed him.”

Marcus headed out of the Pokemon Laboratory and began walking to Route 1. He was a mixture of nervousness and excitement as he headed to the wild grasslands of his destination.

Fraser was approached by a trainer that recognised him from the trainer ceremony. “Oh, not right now,” Fraser said as he glanced up at the television. “It seems to be the wise decision though. I’m not sure what I’ll do if Blake gets taken,” Fraser added. Fraser then fiddled with his thumbs as he pictured the dreaded thought. Blake was yet to notice the stranger as he was still tucking into the poffins. At this point, I suspect he was stress eating from his loss.

“My name’s Fraser and this is Blake. If your waiting for your Pokemon, we can go to the canteen and get some lunch if you’d like. I’m pretty hungry already,” Fraser suggested.

Blake glances up only then noticing the new trainer. He frantically stands up and puffs his chest out. He tensed his muscles thinking it’ll make him look bigger but just makes it like he’s really obviously tensing his muscles.

“Try not get intimidated, he can certainly be seen as a threat,” Fraser scoffed.

"Food?" Monroe parroted, mouth watering at just the word. "You don't have to ask me twice. I'm Monroe. I'll introduce you to Flint when he's all healed up, but it's nice to meet you both. Especially you, tough guy," she chuckled at the flexing Tyrogue.

As she began towards the canteen, she asked, "did you guys just stop here for the cuisine, or did you wipe out too? I thought we'd be fine, since Flint has a type advantage against bugs, but he got poisoned pretty badly. By a Weedle," the last part was said with an indignant huff.

"We did it, we did it Lucky!" said Isabelle while jumping up and down with an equally excited Shinx next to her. "Let's see," said Isabelle as she walked up and picked up the Pokeball and held her Pokedex up. "During the day, it keeps its face buried in the ground. At night, it wanders around sowing its seeds." "Well that's neat," said Isabelle as she pressed the Pokeball and Oddish popped out. The oddish looked a little injured from the last battle and was still a little woozy from the Eerie Impulse. She set the Oddish down and applied a potion to the injured area. The oddish was feeling much better and Isabelle said "Wait, one more thing" Said Isabelle as she dug threw her backpack and pulled out a small headband and placed it on Oddish's head. "I'm gonna call ya' Orchid!" "Dish Oddish!" said Oddish jumping up and down, obviously liking her new name. "Now, back in the ball for both of you," she said as she pulled up both of her pokemon's pokeballs and they returned to them. She put the balls away. "All right, now I'm gonna need to plan my course of action. Brock is probably gonna be very tough, and even though Violet's grass type moves are gonna be very helpful, the moment he gos down I'm done for. I guess we better start training in Viridian forest." She said as she made her way to Viridian City's pokemon center for lunch to get some energy. Inside she saw two trainers that she saw from graduation, one with a Tyrouge. "Oh hi, I'm Isabelle. You two are from the Pokemon school graduation ceremony, right?"

Fraser stood up to go the canteen. "Um yeah we came here becau-" Fraser glanced down at Tyrogue and noticed him glaring up at him with a poisonous glare. "because we were hungry and decided to take a pit stop," Fraser gulped. Blake is clearly not that impressed of Fraser goes around telling about his failures. Another girl recognised the two of them and approached them also. "Yeah, we are. I'm Fraser and this Blake. We were just about to go get lunch at the canteen if you wanted to join us," Fraser invited.

Fraser packed up his things and headed to the canteen with Blake waddling near his legs, almost finishing his brown poffin. Fraser helped himself to noodles and added a small variety of protein and vegetables on top for his lunch. Despite him having noodles already today, it's been a stressful morning so he does not care. He took a seat at a table with enough chairs and didn#t hesitate slurping his noodles in long streams.

"How did you guys find route 1? We struggled quite a bit trying to catch a pidgey but it got away. I think I'm still learning my boundaries with Blake here," Fraser said in between slurps trying to make conversation.

"Thanks. Don't mind if I do!" said Isabelle as she followed the boy with the Tyrogue into the canteen of the pokemon center. She picked up a cucumber sandwich and sat down across the table from Fraser. "Route 1 was ok for me. I actually caught a new friend. Speaking of whom, Lucky and Violet, lunchtime." said Isabelle as she sent out her two pokemon. Lucky was fine but was a little bit surprised when he saw Violet who was quite drowsy and was on the verge of falling asleep. "Oh yeah, Violet is nocturnal," said Isabelle set the two bowls of pokemon food in front of the two. Violet immediately perked up, and he immediately dug into the food. "except when you have food in from of you." said Isabelle as the Oddish didn't even respond getting lots of crumbs on his headband. "I actually stopped here for lunch since I was planning on doing some training in Viridian forest. It would be nice to have someone to come with me, seeing as how there's a ton of poison types. Wanna come with?" she said before taking another bite of her sandwich. "God these are soo good." she thought.

Fraser’s jaw slightly opened in awe of Isabelle nonchalantly saying she caught a Pokemon in the first route. “You caught a Pokemon already?” Fraser whispered to himself. “These trainers are a bunch of talented naturals,” Fraser thought. Isabelle suggested going together through Viridian Forest and Fraser thought back to the News alert. “Yeah that sounds like a good idea. I’ll probably easily get lost if I’m on my own,” Fraser scoffed he then looked at the Tyrogue tensing mucked with his arms crossed as he stares down Isabelle’s Pokemon. To be honest, Blake would end up leading the way so maybe Fraser wouldn’t end up relying on his poor sense of direction.

Blake waltzed over to the fresh Oddish and Lucky. Like a suspicious policeman, he stood in front with an authorities aura. (That’s how he felt at least) He then inspected Oddish’s headband by pulling it and letting go like an elastic band.

“Hey, Blake! What are you doing? Maybe you should win a battle before picking on other Pokemon!” Fraser said sarcastically. Blake lip trembled slightly as he tried to keep his proud front. Blake became fuming as he fists tensed. Fraser then pulled out Blake’s poke ball and the red beam shot out to Blake returning him inside the Pokeball. Fraser sighed and turned to Isabelle. “I’m really sorry about Blake. I’m still learning how to deal with his groudon sized ego,” Fraser sheepishly smiles.

Last edited:
"Actually, the only reason I caught Violet was that I was lucky enough to get a lucky paralysis with Lucky's Spark. I actually only found it by accident," she said while she noticed the Tyrouge. "Shoot!" she thought as Violet's meal was interrupted by a snap of his headband. He instantly triggered his hight or flight response (unfortunately he chose fight) and spewed out a Poison Powder towards the Tyrouge. Luckily, Fraser returned Blake to his Pokeball in time, but unluckily Violet's Poison Powder accidentally(and ironically) hit Lucky. "No! Violet!" said Isabelle as she returned Violet to his Pokeball. The poisonous cloud of dust faded away and there was a tinge of purple around Lucky. "Just a second," said Isabelle as she picked up the Shinx and ran out of the canteen and to the front desk to Nurse Joy. She took the pokemon to the back and she told Isabelle that Lucky will be ok and it'll just take a minute. She sighed and sat back at the table and finished her lunch.

Fraser didn’t clock that Oddish released a Poison Powder. When Lucky got hit by the attack, Frasers heart dropped. When Isabelle returned Fraser also sighed.

“I’m really sorry Isabelle, that was all my fault,” Fraser apologised. Fraser pondered with all the stuff that happened within only a couple of minutes and thought, is this a sign for what’s to come? Fraser finished his noodles, crossed his arms and leaned back in his seat.

“we should probably have plenty of antidotes in case anything like that happens in viridian forest,” Fraser said as he glanced around the canteen. A couple of trainers nearby was watching the scene performed by our Pokemon, otherwise everyone was beaming and happy as can be with their brand new best friend. How long till We can be like that? Will we ever be like that? Fraser walked over to get another small bowl of noodles to slurp away the moment of depression he felt.

Ikue had been fairly excited to start her journey as she was going to be given a Pokemon, but she was also fairly nervous. Something could easily go wrong, for all she knew. But while she was buried in thoughts, she nearly missed the stop at Pallet Town. She had taken a bus, you see. After a short while of wait, she found her way into the lab where it would begin. “Uh, sorry if I’m late sir.” She quickly spoke, rather nervous before being handed her Pokeball and other important things. Nobody seemed to be here. Was she early? Late? That didn’t matter, this journey started now. She nervously crouched to the ground before rolling the ball not too far from her when something emerged in a blue light.

((Sorry If this is kinda bad~))

Ikue’s Pokeball opened and a light Launched out the Pokeball. The beam crashed in the ground the Pokemon’a body started to form. A quadruped body stood with short stubby legs and a large round head. Thought it’s body are small openings in its armor. There are six openings in its head, with the largest two being openings for its pale blue eyes and one opening either side of its spike in its back. A single blunt black spike protrudes from its back.

“Ikue has been given Aron!” Professor Oak declared as if he was still in the ceremony.

"It's not your fault," said Isabelle as she finished off her sandwich. "Like you said we probably need antidotes. Since there were only potions, pokeballs and repels at the graduation stalls, I'm gonna head out an get some in the next door Poke-mart." she said cleaning up her area. "Meet me by the gate in route 2 when you're done with your noodles." As she finished, she head a small jingle and the front nurse announcing that the girl who had a poisoned shinx was restored to full health. "Oh, that's me." said Isabelle as she cleaned up her area and dropped off her lunch tray. "Later" she said while leaving for the front desk. She picked up Lucky's Pokeball and said a quick thank you before heading to the Viridian City pokemart.

Fraser eventually finished his hopefully final bowl of noodles for the day and prepared to head out. "I'll meet you at the Route 2 gate if you're going to join us," Fraser said to Monroe.

Fraser walked straight to the route 2 gate and arrived before the anyone else. He decided to take this chance to talk to Blake about earlier. Fraser released Blake out of his Pokeball and Blake came out sprinting and proceed to kick Fraser's shins with Venom.

"Ow quit it you prick!" Fraser exclaimed as he danced around trying to avoid the fighting types attacks. Fraser leaned down and grabbed Tyrogue's shoulder to try and restrict him slightly and crouched down to get to the same level. Blake continued struggling to get out of grip and would occasionally try a swing with his right hand. "If you don't calm down you're going back into your Pokeball and you won't come back out until I get to Pewter City," Fraser assertively said. Blake slowly stopped and sighed as he looked down at the ground avoiding to look at Fraser in the eye.

"You need to learn that not everyone is out to get you. Almost every single Pokemon you've met, you've attacked." Fraser said softening his voice. Blake looked up at him as if he was still waiting for him to say what he did wrong. Fraser rolled his eyes before continuing. "We are going to go through Viridian Forest, this has way more dangerous and stronger Pokemon than that Pidgey we met in route 1," Blake was clearly affected from that statement and gulped, finally making eye contact with Fraser.

"We are going to traveling with some new friends and I need you to understand that we are going to have to help each other not fight each other. That same Oddish you picked on earlier is going to be with us." Blake responded with an eye roll. Fraser and Tyrogue are becoming alike already. "Becuase you picked on it, the poor Shinx got poisoned because you aggravated them. The first thing you're going to do when you see them, is apologize to them," Fraser slowly becoming more serious. Tyrogue pondered for a moment and reluctantly nodded.

"Tyrogue," Blake huffed and crossed his arms.

"We are certainly going to have to battle some Pokemon in the forest so look forward to that," Fraser said. Blake slowly smirked and looked up at Fraser but he quickly ruined his excitement. "That's only if you look out for the others 'cause it's dangerous,"

Ikue was fairly pleased with this Pokemon. They said it was a Aron, right? But she wanted to know a bit more about it, so she took her Pokedex out and scanned the small Pokemon.

‘Aron, the Iron Armor Pokemon. A Steel and Rock type. It is 0.4 metres and weighs 60kg. This Pokémon has a body of steel. To make its body, Aron feeds on iron ore that it digs from mountains. Occasionally, it causes major trouble by eating bridges and rails. This Aron is female and knows Tackle and Leer.’

“That’s not too bad. I heard there were some poison types around here, so you can resist them just fine, won’t you... uh... I think I’ll call you Nugget. You OK with that?” Ikue asked the small quadruped. Nugget let out a pleased cry before Ikue put her in her Pokeball. She really couldn’t carry something that was 60kg, so this was the easiest way to keep her around and safe. “Thanks sir. I’ll make sure she stays in good shape.” She called out before leaving the lab. What exactly was there to do now? Go ahead, most probably. So knowing something great could be ahead, Ikue upped her pace and got to Route 1.

And sure enough, something happened. A Pidgey quickly flew over to her in a intimidating way. “Do you want to battle? Uh, alright! Nugget, let’s give this a good shot!” Ikue called out before releasing the Aron. “Alright, try using Tackle!” Nugget obeyed the order and ran up to the small bird Pokemon, ramming itself into it. The bird was sent back a bit before flying back in a flash and unleashing a blast of what seemed to be Gust. “Whoa! Careful there girl!” Ikue called out, but to her surprise, Nugget was just standing there seemingly unaffected by the winds. But she was affected by them, but not much. “Oh right! Rock resists flying, doesn’t it? Anyway, go in for another Tackle!” Once again, the Aron obeyed, and ran ahead, having to jump to reach her target, but she missed and crashed onto the ground. But she got up shortly after, not being able to dodge a Tackle from the Pidgey. “Let’s take a break from fighting, try a Leer!” Nugget listened and her blue eyes glowed strongly, intimidating the Pidgey. “I think we can finish it now. Give it one final Tackle, and make it a strong one!” Ikue boldly stated. And while the Pidgey was intimidated, Nugget rammed herself into it. The bird let out a weakened cry then collapsed. Ikue sighed in relief. “Hey, we won our first fight! You did great there girl.” Ikue quietly spoke to Nugget. The Aron seemed to be a bit tired from the fight, and missing that Tackle had hurt her a decent amount too. So Ikue returned her to the Pokeball and made her way to the nearby Pokemon Centre.

Isabelle paid the store clerk for the antidotes. "Well, that was most of my money. Looks like I'm gonna have to look for nuggets later." said Isabelle to herself. She then thought to herself how Lucky was never finished with his meal since he, unfortunately, got poisoned. "Come on out Lucky!" said Isabelle as she pulled out a poffin. "Shinx-Shi-Shinx" said the Shinx as Isabelle knelt down and fed it to him. Lucky ate it up since he was still a bit hungry. "Alright, now off to Viridian forest, Lucky!" she said as she head to the gate on route 2. She ran into Fraser at the gate and said "Hi, Fraser. I got the antidotes." she said as she rummaged through her bag and handed 5 antidotes to Fraser. Lucky did a small wave to the Tyrouge standing next to Fraser.

It was a short walk from Professor Oak’s Laboratory to the beginning of Route 1. Marcus, never the person to enjoy large crowds, had hoped that by relaxing under the tree outside of Oak’s Lab that he could avoid the rush of the large crowd of fellow new Pokemon trainers. His plan had worked because by the time he reached Route 1, he only saw one other new trainer with a large pink hoodie. Marcus quickly lost sight of the girl as she apparently saw something interesting and raced deeper into the grasslands.

Marcus took a deep sigh and slowly walked along a marked path in Route 1. He had been walking for about five minutes when Marcus spotted a wild Rattata in the distance. Marcus instinctively reached to his side and grabbed the Pokeball he had received from Professor Oak. Marcus wound up to throw the Pokeball in the vicinity of Rattata when he suddenly stopped his throwing motion and continued to clutch the ball.

“Ughh. I don’t think I’m ready to battle with Ekans yet,” Marcus thought.

Marcus slumped his shoulders in dejection, remembering how Ekans wouldn’t even let him feed the Pokemon at Professor Oak’s Laboratory. Marcus then continued walking, this time off the marked path while keeping an eye on Rattata to make sure he didn’t rush up demanding a fight.

Marcus found a secluded grassy area with a large tree providing cover from the late afternoon sun.

“This looks like the perfect spot to rest for a bit,” Marcus thought as he took off his backpack and laid down near the tree root. “I guess I should let out Ekans and see how he’s doing.”

Marcus threw Ekans’ Pokeball up into the air and the snake materialized and landed on the grass next to him.

“Hey Ekans,“ Marcus said nervously and awkwardly. “I’m sorry about earlier today. Here have some food.”

Marcus pulled out a pouch from his backpack and laid some Pokefood on the grass next to him for Ekans. Ekans hesitated for a split-second before slowly slithering over to the food and began to eat. Marcus began to sweat in fear as his new Pokemon came closer, but he kept telling himself to stay put in the same place so Ekans could get used to his presence. The two sat in the same spot for about ten minutes without making contact. It was as if both Marcus and Ekans were waiting for the other to make the first move. A Spearow dove head-first toward Marcus and Ekans, frightening both Pokemon and trainer and disrupting their awkward silence.

Marcus, still laying down on his back, quickly rolled out of the way when he saw Spearow coming and then jumped to his feet. Ekans bolted in the opposite direction of Marcus and then began hissing loudly as the Spearow landed and began to eat some of the Pokefood.

“Alright, I guess this will be our first battle,” Marcus said. “Ekans, quick use Poison sting!”

Ekans complied and shot white stingers out of its mouth at the Spearow. Spearow quickly swooped its wings downward and catapulted itself into the air, but not before being hit by some of the poison barbs. The move appeared to hurt Spearow, and it enraged the wild Pokemon. Spearow then countered with a diving Peck of its own that hit Ekans point-blank in the middle of its body.

“No Ekans!” Marcus shouted. Ekans appeared to be stunned by the attack. Marcus began to run toward Ekans when the wild Spearow, with an apparent anger management problem, darted toward him. Marcus absorbed a tackle and was sent crashing to the ground. He heard a noise and noticed Ekans had retaliated against the Spearow by flinging itself toward the Spearow and began a Wrap attack.

Marcus was shocked by the events and laid on the ground stunned. He watched his Ekans slowly draining the energy from Spearow as his body ached from the attack. Marcus pulled himself back up to his feet and then remembered that he had bought some Pokeballs from the Professor’s lab. Marcus didn’t really care for this Spearow, but it appeared powerful and he thought it could make a good addition to his team.

“Great job Ekans. Just a little bit more and then I’ll try to catch the Spearow,” Marcus yelled out loud. Ekans hissed in anger as Marcus said that and continued to bind the wild Pokemon with an even harsher Wrap. Just as Marcus was about to throw the empty Pokeball, the Spearow fainted and Ekans elongated its head in a triumphant pose.

“Hey what was that for?” Marcus asked Ekans. Ekans dangled its tongue out at Marcus as if it was taunting the new trainer. “Ughh, are we really going to do this again? Oh well, I guess I didn’t really care for that Spearow either. Anyway, good job Ekans.”

Ekans released the unconscious Spearow and began moving toward Marcus. The trainer then aimed Ekans’ Pokeball at the snake Pokemon and returned it to its home.

“Let’s get going Ekans. We need to get out of here and find a place to rest.”

The sun was turning a beautiful hue of golden as the sun moved farther down on the horizon, signifying that the sunlight was quickly receding in favor of the night. Marcus picked up his backpack and began walking back toward the marked path of Route 1. He followed the path to a sign reading “Welcome to Viridian City, the Gateway to Indigo Plateau.”

Marcus’ first stop was to the city’s Pokemon Center so he could heal Ekans and hopefully find a place to sleep in the same building.

“Hmm, I wonder if I’ll see that girl again in Viridian City? I didn’t recognize her from the ceremony, but she must be a new Pokemon trainer just like me.”