• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Yeah, I'm a bit spammy today. But I saw that quote on the rules forum, and I just had to know: what does everyone think of the Hitchhiker's film?

Personally I thought it was brilliant. Mos Def was surprisingly good as Ford, which was something I had been worrying about. Of course, the best casting was definetely Bill Bailey. :) And the musical number absolutely rocked. The only thing that I didn't like was that damn romance plot. Really, did we actually need that? It wasn't too bad at first, but then they stuck it right in at the mice scene and it got irritating. Very irritating.

Anyway, discuss as you see fit.

Probably about the only movie I've ever seen that actually not only does justice to the book/miniseries/radio series, but actually expands on it and makes it even better (you have to have read/seen/heard all of these to truly appreciate the changes the movie makes).

I've seen this movie twice already, and I'll be seeing it at least one more time in theatres, and buying it when it comes out on DVD. The whale scene always gets a huge laugh.

Hearing the remix of "Journey of the Sorceror" (Hitchhiker's banjo theme song) made me very happy, and the recurring "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish" theme never gets old.

The end of the movie hints very strongly at a sequel (see the movie to understand why), which has me excited.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I wouldn't say it's the "best movie of the year" but for being someone who only vaguely knew the book before, I thought it was pretty good. Much, much better than people were telling me... Got a few "worst movie ever" comments. Like others have said before me, though, you either have to like the book or understand British comedy to get it. For others... :p

I rewatched the first episode of the mini-series a few days after seeing it and I was surprised at how similar it was to the movie. There were a few inconsistancies (no love interest) but a lot of the lines were the same.

Marvin was freakin' cute in the moive, too ^^

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
*Has also yet to see it* :( No-one to go with it poopy... And I can't go on my own 'cause it's not worth it to stand in a mile long queue and spend extortinate prices to do so.

Cinemas suck anyway, why is it that when you're wanting to go watch a cool movie like Hitchikers, everyone and their friend decides its time to talk?

And Children... ugh. They shouldn't be allowed out of the house let alone into a cinema.

Anyways. ^^

Doctor Oak said:
*Has also yet to see it* :( No-one to go with it poopy... And I can't go on my own 'cause it's not worth it to stand in a mile long queue and spend extortinate prices to do so.

Just what is this law that you have to go to cinemas accompanied? The best times I've been to see films were on my own. But then, I have a slighty..."different" taste to my friends.

Course, it also helps having student discount. :D

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Heard the radio programmes, read the books, saw the TV series, got a t-shirt and watched the film. The "So long and thanks for all the fish" song got so annoying after listening to my brother sing it repeatedly for three hours, but the rest was some of the best film I've ever seen!

"I wonder if it'll make friends with me? Hello ground..." Can't remember the rest, but I'll be watching it continuously when I get it on DVD.

I wouldn't say it's the best movie of the year, but I quite enjoyed it. Some parts were a tad bit silly though, and unfunny. I haven't got round to reading the books, so that could explain it, and I might not be appreciating it as much as I should be.

Love the dolphin song though, and the David Attenborough factor.