• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The "Help Linkachu Find Great RPGs" Thread

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I've been a hardcore RPG fan since I can remember, grabbing up or trying to play every great one that has reared its head, but since the release of the PS2 things have changed. I've begun to lose track of releases, not knowing which games on the shelves are actually RPGs, and it's particularly annoying when fellow fans are talking about games I've never even heard of before.

This must end! :twisted:

So, I'm looking to you guys for help. From GBA to X-Box, and soon to include X-Box 360, what are the great RPGs that have stood out for you? The more underrated and unknown, the better, and feel free to include any upcoming titles that sound promising, too. Any input is appreciated more than ya know 8)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Fable is reason enough as any to own an Xbox.

It's a FANTASTIC game and is created lovingly by Peter Molyneux's team of expert and devoted developers.

My single and only qualm with it is that it's too damn short. If you explored every bit of the game, you'd be at it for years - especially if you have Xbox Live. But for those just wanting to play a good story combined with great gameplay, the adventure's over far too quickly.

Nevertheless, a fantastic Real-Time RPG that is a must have for all Xbox owners.

Hopefully we'll see a 360 sequel too.

Also you really should get into Golden Sun. The fact you don't like it is silly. Especially when you only really seem to dislike it for the fact that everyone hypes it up.

It's a GREAT RPG. Not THE Greatest. Not by a mile. But the story is enthralling and it's very well set up. I mean, I pretty much hate 90% of the GBA's crap library but Golden Sun was one of the reasons to make me keep my annoyingly shite original GBA.

The other being Pokemon of course.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Doctor Oak said:
The fact you don't like it is silly. Especially when you only really seem to dislike it for the fact that everyone hypes it up.

That sounds funny coming from someone like you :p

Anyways, Fable is one I've had my eye on and since its been released for PC too I wouldn't need to shovel out the money for an X-Box to get it. Unless of course people have noticed drawbacks in buying the PC game verses its console release.

Thanks for the reply, Alex. Keep 'em coming! ^^

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
PC games are impossible to play unless you buy a Gaming PC these days.

Fable'll push PCs to their limits so unless you have a high-end gaming PC you'd be better off picking up a cheap Xbrick like me.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Two words.

Septerra. Core.

Oldish game, PC, but still, one of the best damn RPGs that I have ever played.

Another game to look into is the Phantasy Star series - Specifically Phantasy Star IV. I'd personally skip the first three and just get on with 4 - as 1 is an 8-bit game which even I don't have the patience for anymore (It had astounding graphics for its time, but the 3D mazes are a pain), 2 is maze-full and you could easily just read the story and figure out what happened, and 3 is little more than a Gaiden (or a side-story, for the non-Japanese-versed) and could definitely use a remake (because DAMN. X_X)

And yeah, as The Oakster pointed out, Golden Sun and its sequel are *good*.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
StellarWind said:
Two words.

Septerra. Core.

Oldish game, PC, but still, one of the best damn RPGs that I have ever played.

I'd like to get that game quite a bit but the question, as always, is whether I can actually locate it. In the past few years I've known you and known about the game I've never run into it to buy before. Is there anywhere you can download it at?

There are probably lots of old games before GBA that I missed out on but they're not easy to come by nowadays. I've been searching for Star Ocean II (Playstation) for years now and not once have I found any sign of it. The reason I suggested GBA and on is because most of those games can either be ordered in or found at used gaming stores.

And for the record, I already own both Golden Sun games (even if I haven't finished either yet).

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Katie, you know my gaming problem, but I just had to say this - I have Fable on my PC (which is by no means a gaming PC), and it works fine for me. :p I love my computer.

Dunno if you have them already, but Paper Mario is a great game (as is its sequel).

Also, Robopon 2 (GBA) is a pretty solid game if you can find it. Some dismiss it as a Pokemon clone, but it actually differs a lot. Definitely worth looking into.

I'd also recommend EarthBound. ;D

Um, it was released in English. I own it. One of the reasons I like it so much is because of its brilliant dialogue. o.o

EDIT: When I say that, I'm referring to Robopon 2. The first Robopon was... not so good.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
"Prof. Cinders said:
Katie"]

What are the specs for the game? Actually, might just be easier if I ask what the specs for your PC are. Mine isn't top of the line or anything, but its been able to run everything perfectly thus far.

Gonna have to look into this Robopon 2. Anyone here a PS2 player? That's the console that really has most of the RPGs I'm missing out on, although GBA is bound to aswell considering its large collection of games.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
HEY! No dissing Telefang. ;P

Regarding your question, Katie, it's an old game, so it's a royal pain to locate nowadays (It was a royal pain to find for whoever bought it for me, too) Plus, the fact that Monolith and Valkyrie Studios have stopped updating their sites three freaking years ago makes one believe that they're both down and out for good.

I'm not sure WHERE you can find it now, even online. ;_;

I suppose that you'll have to obtain it in some other way, which I am forbidden to talk of due to the fact that we're supposed to keep a reputation of dealing with legal games only. :p

Well I'll suggest the cream of the crop for this year Dragon Quest VIII. Yes it is in my opinion the ebst RPG of this generation.

Star Ocean 2 I have seen recently for 32.99 at gamestop. Also I recomend Dragon Warrior VII (just ordered myself but after playing through VIII I figured I'd play through what many considered the ebst of the series VII) However IV in my opinion could possibly be the best RPG ever made for a home console. (Yup good ol' Dragon Warrior IV which I use as my blue print for RPG's).

Recent RPG's I had fun with Tales of Symphonia which I played through twice. Otherwise I'd have to recomend SNES games. Such as Breath of Fire 2 which in my personal book gave Final Fantasy III and Chrono Trigger a run for their money as best SNES RPG. Mario RPG is another excellent game. If you play games on emulation I would suggest DRagon Quest V and VI which both are translated.

I have heard mix things about Lunar Dragon Song but I believe it maybe the must have RPG for the DS. ;).

I will say the most overlloked RPG I remember would be Aidyn Chronichles for the N64. It actually became entertaining halfway through and I grew to enjoy the battle system. But it is a bit tedious if you train a character wrong.

Mario RPG is another excellent choice. PHantasy Star collection for GBA contains two excellent games that you may like. (I enjoyed them but I love the older RPG's for their challenge.)

Maybe that can help. If you'd like a more indepth look at any game mentioned just ask. Or if none those fit your fancy I have many more I can suggest.

like i've told you before, you should get Riviera:The Promised Land for the GBA. Its a really amazing RPG, and I really enjoyed it. Also...I'm loving Partners in Time, so I think you'll like that. Also...Final Fantasy IV is out.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'll throw on all of those to my list next chance I get. And yeah, Sally, I already had plans to get all of those games ^^

Dragon Quest VIII is on my Xmas list, and aside from Star Ocean 2 (which I simply can not find no matter where I look) I already own most of the RPGs you suggested Zapdos (including DWVII which, personally, felt too slow/repetitive for my liking). I'll keep an eye out for the GBA Phantasy Star title :)

Damien: Thanks for the url ^^

I hope you have atleast 70 hours set aside for DQVIII. Now if you try to judge Dragon Quest by any other RPG you maybe disappointed. It is pretty unchanged in the play mechanics since Dragon Quest IV. (which is a good thing if it's not broke why fix it.) They however heavily americanized DQVIII to try and present it to the mainstream crowd which worked in most part. It however alienated me as a long time fan of the series dating back to the original. Yet it still is the Magnus Opus of RPG's this year and IMHO of this generation. (Also a prequel has already been announced to DQVIII for Japan but it's most likely just a side game like the the Torneko games were starring Yangus of DQVIII).

If you liked Wild Arms then the Remake Alter Code F may be something you'd be interested in.

Sorry to hear DWVII was your cup of tea, I will admit the first part of the game is a bit boring but I thought it picked up after the Dhama Shrine.

I have personally not played Ateller Iris but many people keep suggesting it to me so it maybe something you'd like.

Honestly though RPG's have been lacking this generation in quality. Maybe it's because they keep trying innovate gameplay and give serious stories.

The next series I list is for hardcore RPGers only, the fore father of RPG's as we know them today, Wizardry. Wizardry 1-3 was a trilogy of simple designed games that got a certain Japanese Programmer thinking of how to fidn something more appealing to his people, thus the birth of DRagon Quest came. Then Phantasy Star and then Final Fantasy.

Time for the did you know. Did you know the magic System in the original Final Fantasy is borrowed from Wizardry1-5. Now you know this odd fact.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Heh... I've been waiting for the Wild Arms remake ever since I first saw it announced in Japan (years ago) and finally got it as an early B-day prezzie last week. I

Yea DQVIII is a long haul but you'll probably enjoy it. I mean it's pretty much 60-80 hours of story. It was my addictionj until I finished it a few days ago. You really don't have to worry about leveling up as much in DQVIII, I honestly don't think I leveled up out of the story at all. I donno how anyone can't enjoy DQVIII. (I can't praise it enough seems to be the first RPG to get everything perfectly done for a long long time). DQVIII just flows through and you always know where to go which is something most DW/DQ games have never done.(Then again I purposefully went off the ebaten path for soem fun). The Monster Arena is addicting, I probably would of cleared 50 hours without the time I inveted in the Monster Arena. I guess I'll praise DQVIII everywhere I go until Enix releases my DQIV remake here. :twisted:

If you were to include Strategy RPG's Fire Emblem for Gamecube is a descent game. To bad we've only got the sub par Fire Emblem games here, I really hope they release FE4 someday in the US.

Can it be I've actually ran out of games to suggest. Well I guess I have. :twisted: :twisted: :idea:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Zapdos145 said:
Yea DQVIII is a long haul but you'll probably enjoy it. I mean it's pretty much 60-80 hours of story. It was my addictionj until I finished it a few days ago. You really don't have to worry about leveling up as much in DQVIII, I honestly don't think I leveled up out of the story at all. I donno how anyone can't enjoy DQVIII. (I can't praise it enough seems to be the first RPG to get everything perfectly done for a long long time). DQVIII just flows through and you always know where to go which is something most DW/DQ games have never done.(Then again I purposefully went off the ebaten path for soem fun). The Monster Arena is addicting, I probably would of cleared 50 hours without the time I inveted in the Monster Arena. I guess I'll praise DQVIII everywhere I go until Enix releases my DQIV remake here. :twisted:

LOL... Alright, you've definitely sold me on it now. If I don't get it from someone else I'll be buying it myself with my present money ^^

Funny you mentioned Fire Emblem for GCN... I bought that for my older brother as a Christmas present. He really wanted it, and I figure that when he finishes with it I can just borrow it off of him ;)

I didn't include strategy RPGs because they're a massive collection of games on their own, but by all means suggest any you can think of.

Updating my list now. Might transform this topic into a general "Great RPGs List" or an RPG Log if people think it'd be worth it *pokes teh people*. Me thinks I've attempted a topic like that before, though... It pretty much died prematurely XP

EDIT: Nevermind. Too lazy to keep updating the list. As long as the titles are in the topic I can find them easy enough. Thanks again to anyone who's given suggestions. Now I have lots to keep an eye out for ^^

SRPG's. Let me see Tactics Ogre would be the best SRPG to this date. (very rare also and no fan translation for the SNES so it'd be close to 200 dollars to buy which isn't really worth it). (But it's the cream of the crop. Then comes the GBA sequel to Tactics Ogre). Then I'd say download Fire Emblem IV it's a very nice SRPG and the ebst FE. (Huge maps to explore multiple campiagns in one chapter.). After that I'd say the Shining Force series (not the new Neo game). SF2 was probably the funnest. La PUccele was a pretty cool game if you play for the story and not the annoying sub game Dark World bonus dungeon thingy). The two Fire Emblems for GBA were also awesome. (I actually preferred Sacred Stones). Nippon Ichi pretty much is the only company that makes SRPGs recently but they care more about the bonus dungeons and psot game than the actual story. I'm not compelled to play through their games.

I will say this and you may laugh but Lost Kingdoms for the GCN is probably one of the surprise RPG's I played. I liked the story but never beat the game because I got my ass handed to me at the final boss.

Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne is also pretty good.