• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Gen V Legendaries - How Many?

So, I've heard a lot of criticism for Gen IV because of it's rather large amount of legendary Pokemon. I agree with this, as it detracts from the individuality of legendaries.

So, how many legendaries would you like to see in Gen V?

Personally, I think there should be 8-11 legendaries.

Mascot Trio - 3
Region Trio - 6
'Cute' Pokemon - 7
Trio Master/Related to another Pokemon - 8
Powerful event - 9
Pure Flying - 10
Fighting/Bug/Poison Legendary - 11

Post your opinions below!

I missed the times when there was just the three Birds, Mewtwo and Mew. It'd be nice to go back to just having a few, but I doubt it'd happen.

My opinion on Legendaries is: the fewer the better. It just kinda spoils having "Legendary Pokemon" when there are 6-10 coming out in one generation. I mean, to be fair, the ones from Diamond and Pearl weren't really so much Legendaries as they were just pseudo-legendaries, but they were still there and acting like legendaries.

I would like to see them go back to having fewer of them, but I doubt it'll happen. Not that it matters, they'll just end up in my PC anyway.

I personally liked the amount of legends in R/S/E. There weren't too little, but there weren't too many either.

(EDIT: That typo made me sound really dumb.)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hmm... It'd be nice if they handled it similar to Gen 2. Zekrom and Reshiram could be the two 'uber' legendaries, and the 3rd game mascot could be something entirely different - like Suicune was to Crystal (or even Pikachu to Yellow). We could still have our standard lesser legendary trio and a couple of unobtainables, but that could be it.

Still... I see them pulling another Gen 4, mostly for mythological reasons. This doesn't really bother me, but having a few less this time 'round would be nice. Like Chad said, it'd keep 'em a bit more unique but still give us enough to be satisfied.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Legendary Trio, Reshiram, Zekram, and the Event (Mew, Celebii, etc.) That is all we need. I highly doubt that there will be a third Pokemon to Reshiram and Zekrom since the two of them represent Yin and Yang. It would be silly adding a third wheel to that.

I'd love for there to be five to seven legendaries. Having so many legendaries in Gen IV not only shafted the Sinnoh dex big time, but some of the legendaries just shouldn't have been legendary. I'm looking at you Shaymin, Phione, and Heatran. I don't see why they just couldn't have been 'regular' Pokemon. Even the ANIME doesn't really give them special treatment (not that I could recall anyway). I don't care if Shaymin got a movie, so did the Unown and they aren't legendary. Having five to seven ensures that legendaries keep their specialness and we don't get any pointlessly legendary Pokemon like Phione.

Reina Carmen said:
I'm looking at you Shaymin, Phione, and Heatran. I don't see why they just couldn't have been 'regular' Pokemon. Even the ANIME doesn't really give them special treatment.

Dude? Shaymin had it's own freaking movie.

But to get back on topic, I'd like to have 8 legendaries, as in...
Mascot Trio (like Palkia, Dialga, and Origin Forme Giratina)
Legendary Animals (like the Legendary Beasts)
Legendary Duo (like Latios and Latias)

Zoroark said:
Dude? Shaymin had it's own freaking movie.

It's not really any of my business, but Carmen isn't a 'dude' and secondly:

Reina Carmen said:
I don't care if Shaymin got a movie, so did the Unown and they aren't legendary.

As Carmen said: just because a Pokemon has its own movie doesn't make it a legendary. Shaymin was the most useless legendary I've ever seen and it could have easily been "just another Pokemon".

Anyway, realistically there will probably be just as many legendaries as there were in D/P/Pt because it's just the way the games have been moving. Despite the fact that too many legendaries will spoil the ones that are actually fit to be called legendaries, it gives them more special events to get people to come to just so that they can get the super exclusive Pokemon who will sit in your box forever. Though, I'd like to see a max of six, I'm almost certain there will be at least ten. There were something like twelve or fourteen in D/P/Pt.

I'm one of those "don't want a lot of legendaries" people too. I think that they should have Reshiram, Zekrom, their third counterpart (which is rumored to be a green snake, or something which makes no sense) the legendary trio (which should be owls because owls are cool) and a 'cute' legendary. I think if they DO feel the need to add in a bunch of other legendaries, there should be more roamers because it'd sort of fun (and really frustrating) to have to hunt them down. I just like randomly encountering them and being like "Oh my gosh it's THAT LEGENDARY!" and being all excited.

Anyways, I would be a lot more upset if there were too many legendaries than I would be if there weren't many at all. I don't do much with legendaries anyways so I don't need a lot...

I don't like there being a lot of legendaries either, especially since I rarely use them so they feel like wasted spots. It also irks me when a legendary gets a unique type combo. I think the number of legendaries should be proportional to the number of regular pokemon in the 'dex. Sinnoh was especially bad for having a jillion legendaries and few new pokemon. If Gen V has 10 new legendaries but 100 completely new pokemon, I'd be happy.

I'd like it if they had a Mascot trio, Animal trio, a legendary duo, and an unobtainable, but also include other "Super rare" Pokemon. Notice how I didn't say legendary. Too be honest, I thought some of 4th gen's pokemon (Manaphy, Phione, Shaymin, Darkrai, Creselia, Regigigas, Heatran, and technically Rotom (forgive me if I missed any)) to be more "rare" that legendary. I would like for the super rares to play a bigger role in the story (other that the Mascot trio), this is coming from a guy who would've like some kind of Mystery Dungeon twist where your exploring and you run into pokemon like the Regi's.

Also I do wish that they could borrow some legendaries from the past games (like GSC did with RBY) if they need more.

Summary: 9 legendaries, and maybe a few extra "super rares".

Nuuuu moar Supah rare ones. They're hard enough to get already D:. I want to freaking finish my 'dex one of these times.

All they need are the Mascots, a trio and maybe a cute one or two. Maybe you could give some of the other kiddies from Shinnoh or other places to get a little limelight.

I'm rather neutral on the number of legendaries. In my opinion, they add something to the mythology of the game, making it similar to the large number of gods in Greek mythology. The only thing I don't like is having to waste hundreds of balls to catch them.

Goodness gracious no! 5 legendaries at most please. 3 legends, zekrom, reshriam, or however you spell them. Thats all! you kids have had your fill on all your dang legendaries in the 3rd/4th Gen. Now please no moar!

Ever since events have been made possible and more accessible, there's no doubts there will be many legendary pokemon, not just this generation, but every generation to come. I'm saying 8 at the very least.

I would like A. Random trio legendaries
B. Reshiram and Zekrom ( Maybe a third that disrupts the balance, for story purposes)
C. The one all mighty Pokemon.
D. A couple of Event legendaries or super rares (These are inevitable and I accept that)

So the grand total comes to 8 to 9 Pokemon, but realistically there will be 3 to 4 more Pokemon on top of the 8 to 9.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well,im guessing that the reason why there were so many legendaries in gen 4 was because gamefreak wanted to increase the current number in legendaries,but still gen 4's legends were okay.

anyways there should be atleast 9,legendaries,if not 10,but i would like to see more cute and scary legendaries than anything!