• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Dark Tournament

Should the NPC have shown Nightmares

• yes- more depth and environment

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • no-takes away from the pcs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
initially yes seeded via air drop just before the characters arrived on the island. Further transmission after that would be through multiple forms of contact with the infected +food and water contamination

So we're assuming that the Pokeball has some sort of cure for this virus, or that it prevents it?

Ok so this will be difficult to do without knowing the science behind their digitization technology. The way I guess that I would see it is that all pokemon share a gene or maybe a sector of the brain in common that humans don't that keys allows an individual pokeball to be keyed to them. So long as that structure is in an activated state the virus will not reproduce in the body, and will stop influencing the brain (hmm maybe it causes the virus to go into a dormant stage like a shell or chrysalis similar to many bacteria in function.) However after stage three the virus is to far along to be stopped and certain genetic changes have already been made to the brain and metabolic structure.

I realize this is not a perfect explanation but I did not scientifically break the whole thing down before starting the thread as most players do not want that level of science detail anyway. So I am brainstorming some of this admittedly on the fly.

Ok so this will be difficult to do without knowing the science behind their digitization technology. The way I guess that I would see it is that all pokemon share a gene or maybe a sector of the brain in common that humans don't that keys allows an individual pokeball to be keyed to them. So long as that structure is in an activated state the virus will not reproduce in the body, and will stop influencing the brain (hmm maybe it causes the virus to go into a dormant stage like a shell or chrysalis similar to many bacteria in function.) However after stage three the virus is to far along to be stopped and certain genetic changes have already been made to the brain and metabolic structure.

I realize this is not a perfect explanation but I did not scientifically break the whole thing down before starting the thread as most players do not want that level of science detail anyway. So I am brainstorming some of this admittedly on the fly.

I mean, I did provide a more simple explanation prior, but that was resolved, so I'll let you sort out the details. I've never heard of a virus being able to change genetic makeup. Wouldn't that mean that every last cell in the Pokemon's body was now replicating the virus's cell?

Also, there's nothing in the lore really suggesting that Pokeballs do anything more than simply capture a Pokemon. Balls such as Luxury, and Friend could possibly be argued, but at the same time it's possibly the inner environment of the ball that makes them more friendly. After all, the word 'luxury' is in the name, and the Friend Ball was made from an Apricorn on an anvil.
With Sun and Moon it also looks as though they're trying to drive home a point that Pokemon are not stored on a hard drive on a PC, but merely use them as methods of transportation. Though it could be argued that digitization technology is used during the teleportation I suppose. However, humans can also teleport in the games, and items can be stored in the PC as well, so I'm not sure how sound your genetic difference explanation is. I'm not entirely sure if it would actually be genetics that factor into them being able to be digitized. Rather I think it's the Pokeball that provides that ability.

I think it's good for you to consider these things before continuing the story because it's very easy to write yourself into a corner with RPs, and not be able to retcon it.

I have no kept up with all the games but the way I saw it is that a trainers pokemon connected to a pokeball should not be able to be captured by a different pokeball unless special factors are involved. As this is my own personal realm as all threads cannot exist in the same world I am choosing to hold that to be the case. a standard pokeball cannot capture a tamed pokemon because a pokemon can only be keyed to one ball at a time. Now I can see black market pokeballs out there that overwrite a signature with their own tag.

Again I am choosing to say that humans cannot be digitized or that it has at least never been done in this world version.

I have no kept up with all the games but the way I saw it is that a trainers pokemon connected to a pokeball should not be able to be captured by a different pokeball unless special factors are involved. As this is my own personal realm as all threads cannot exist in the same world I am choosing to hold that to be the case. a standard pokeball cannot capture a tamed pokemon because a pokemon can only be keyed to one ball at a time. Now I can see black market pokeballs out there that overwrite a signature with their own tag.

Again I am choosing to say that humans cannot be digitized or that it has at least never been done in this world version.

Okay, but what does that have to do with preventing the virus? What quality does the Pokeball possess that allows it to be cured from this virus. Also, if Team Rocket knows about this, why would they still plan to release it on a town that has Pokeballs in their stores. If the virus takes 12 hours at minimum to become irreversible how would Team Rocket be able to use it to their benefit if it can be countered by simply capturing the Pokemon? It seems like they would've been better off launching a war with all the manpower they seem to have.

By this extent, how do the trainers on the island serve as a realistic test of the virus? If they plan to drop it on a larger population, how does stripping everyone of their Pokemon, and sending them on a hunger games-esque survival week accurately show the virus's effectiveness?
I have a few ideas that might help solve these plot holes, but I want to hear you explanation first just so we do not have another flame war.

It's not a quality of the pokeball but rather the biologic component inside the pokemon that allows pokeball technology to work. The virus is artificial so TR have made some of their own modifications to it.

Their are still a very large amount of wild pokemon in and around cities far more than tamed pokemon or I imagine the entire pokeball supply. It's not like any of the lore or games that I know of have ever stated a census so it could be rather high. Imagine the wild bird pokemon alone like pidgeys or even how many ratta are probably in a large city.

Finally their are still plans and plots going on backstage do you really want me to put all of my cards on the table right now or would you rather discover them as plot unfolds ICLY

It's not a quality of the pokeball but rather the biologic component inside the pokemon that allows pokeball technology to work. The virus is artificial so TR have made some of their own modifications to it.

Their are still a very large amount of wild pokemon in and around cities far more than tamed pokemon or I imagine the entire pokeball supply. It's not like any of the lore or games that I know of have ever stated a census so it could be rather high. Imagine the wild bird pokemon alone like pidgeys or even how many ratta are probably in a large city.

Finally their are still plans and plots going on backstage do you really want me to put all of my cards on the table right now or would you rather discover them as plot unfolds ICLY

If you don't want to publicly lay your cards out please PM me. I don't usually have any problems with spoilers unless it comes to stories that are genuine masterpieces. Not saying this story is bad, but rather that it does not meet my own standard of me wanting to save myself from spoilers. I simply want to know if you actually have a plan, or if you don't, and you might need a second opinion.

As I said before, how does Team Rocket see the current situation they put the trainers as an accurate test for the virus? Not to mention, the games have an infinite amount of Pokemon, and Pokeballs because it's a game. If it didn't then it would be hard to train, or find shiny Pokemon because they would all be either fainted or captured. We'd also assume that in this universe a place like Cerulean would have thousands, or even hundreds of thousands of people in it. (If we used the game it would mean infinite Pokemon vs about 10-20 people.) These people have access to Pokemon Centers, Potions, Pokeballs, and their Pokemon are most likely stronger than that of the ones in the wilderness. Plus, it's hard to assume that the wild Pokemon would outnumber humans as Pokemon do not have access to a stable food source, and other necessities to suspend a high population like humans have.
In the end Team Rocket might be able to take down Cerulean, but as for the rest of the region... well that's difficult because, unlike Cerulean, the next towns will be prepared. Not to mention the fact that Team Rocket really only seems to be pointing the virus in a direction, and letting it loose. If they overdo the spread then they too will be done in by the infected Pokemon. If they had the ability to control strengthened Pokemon I think that would be much more threatening than a bunch of rabid zombies. Then again, the question would arise as to how exactly they accomplish that since it's a virus.

In the end Team Rocket might be able to take down Cerulean, but as for the rest of the region... well that's difficult because, unlike Cerulean, the next towns will be prepared. Not to mention the fact that Team Rocket really only seems to be pointing the virus in a direction, and letting it loose. If they overdo the spread then they too will be done in by the infected Pokemon. If they had the ability to control strengthened Pokemon I think that would be much more threatening than a bunch of rabid zombies. Then again, the question would arise as to how exactly they accomplish that since it's a virus.
I don't think it's a take-over of the region. Granted, Cassie/Pen came up with this first, so I ain't really at credit here, but here's a basic breakdown of Rocket's plot.

Think of who mainly travels on those paths, routes between the cities. Trainers. The average trainer, the ones who we play as in the game, can be assumed to be 12-20 years old. That's a young category. Even the "adults" can't legally buy alcohol, and likely live with their parents (Not that they are actually there enough to warrant getting their own home). If you unleash a virus that makes Pokemon violent (Let's not doubt the sheer power of Pokemon; An Arcanine melts solid concrete in the second Pokemon Generations video), you've got a lot of casualties.

This, of course, would warrant something akin to a state of emergency. Panic would ensue and consume towns before the epidemic reaches them. Hell, if Rocket really wanted to be a big old bastard, the air drop planes could be painted in Regional colors. Start inter-regional conflict. And as panic reaches it peak, there's looting and muggings in the street, a miraculous corporation known as Rocket, coincidentally, finds a cure! And then, Rocket makes off with thousands and thousands and millions of dollars, free of all their shady activity and war crimes, and if the cure doesn't work?

Tough shit. No returns. Rocket disappears into thin air, and the virus runs rampant until someone has to firebomb a city ala Dead Rising.

What I'm saying is, Rocket releases a virus, several hundred fragile trainers and their Pokemon die inciting a panic, Rocket comes up with a "cure" which either works or doesn't, but either way they make out with millions of dollars.

The reason we have our trainers in this situation, I suppose, is to see how resourceful the trainer stranded in nowhere with no supplies could be. A social experiment of some kind perhaps? Though, I think people would get worried once no one shows up for an entire week for their work and no contact, and might try tracking them down...Especially the Unova Champion. Unless the tournament was supposed to take place over a week? I'm not sure.

All this speculation about Team Rockets motives is based on the assumption that the Trainers are there because of the virus, but what if the virus is only there to spice up whatever they have planned for the trainers? For all we know Astral is only using the virus as a distraction for us to focus on so that she can reveal the real plot later. All these world domination scenarios only mean anything if Team Rocket is indeed trying to take over the world, and if they do, that they are planning to do it by means of this virus, which doesn't have to be the case at all.

I don't think it's a take-over of the region. Granted, Cassie/Pen came up with this first, so I ain't really at credit here, but here's a basic breakdown of Rocket's plot.

Think of who mainly travels on those paths, routes between the cities. Trainers. The average trainer, the ones who we play as in the game, can be assumed to be 12-20 years old. That's a young category. Even the "adults" can't legally buy alcohol, and likely live with their parents (Not that they are actually there enough to warrant getting their own home). If you unleash a virus that makes Pokemon violent (Let's not doubt the sheer power of Pokemon; An Arcanine melts solid concrete in the second Pokemon Generations video), you've got a lot of casualties.

This, of course, would warrant something akin to a state of emergency. Panic would ensue and consume towns before the epidemic reaches them. Hell, if Rocket really wanted to be a big old bastard, the air drop planes could be painted in Regional colors. Start inter-regional conflict. And as panic reaches it peak, there's looting and muggings in the street, a miraculous corporation known as Rocket, coincidentally, finds a cure! And then, Rocket makes off with thousands and thousands and millions of dollars, free of all their shady activity and war crimes, and if the cure doesn't work?

Tough shit. No returns. Rocket disappears into thin air, and the virus runs rampant until someone has to firebomb a city ala Dead Rising.

What I'm saying is, Rocket releases a virus, several hundred fragile trainers and their Pokemon die inciting a panic, Rocket comes up with a "cure" which either works or doesn't, but either way they make out with millions of dollars.

The reason we have our trainers in this situation, I suppose, is to see how resourceful the trainer stranded in nowhere with no supplies could be. A social experiment of some kind perhaps? Though, I think people would get worried once no one shows up for an entire week for their work and no contact, and might try tracking them down...Especially the Unova Champion. Unless the tournament was supposed to take place over a week? I'm not sure.
Wild Pokemon are hardly found in their final evolutions. Trainer Pokemon are typically more powerful, and this is also assuming that a massive amount of trainers is travelling on one route at the same time. If it is a large amount then the odds of them working together, and making it to the city are higher. If it is a smaller amount then there would be less panic.
Whenever there is an epidemic, no one is going out, and starting a riot. Riots typically happen as a result of a protest, or some sort of social conflict. However we will assume that it does.
This still doesn't explain why anyone in the Kanto Region would trust Team Rocket's 'cure', and pay them millions of dollars. It would be like people trusting the Nazis. Plus, once they find out that Pokeballs prevent/cure the virus they only need to capture the afflicted.

On the subject of them doing it for money I've already explain why spending millions to hundreds of millions in order to own an island, build an arena, send invitation to all the strongest trainers in the world, build an unstoppable army, create a magic virus from thin air, and use a massive amount of this virus to infect every Pokemon is a dumb way to make a profit.

This still doesn't explain why anyone in the Kanto Region would trust Team Rocket's 'cure', and pay them millions of dollars. It would be like people trusting the Nazis.
It may be hard to believe with the power of hindsight, but there was a time where millions of people did indeed trust the Nazis. Hitler was an elected official, as were many dictators.

It may be hard to believe with the power of hindsight, but there was a time where millions of people did indeed trust the Nazis. Hitler was an elected official, as were many dictators.

Yes, but this is before people knew what the Nazi's were actually doing. I'm saying that Team Rocket is an organization that commited crimes in the past, and has no credibility at all. There would be no reason to trust them, and they would, in fact, be more suspicious if they were the ones offering the cure.

I'm stating that it would be similar to people today trusting the nazis.

That's assuming that Team Rocket is a known criminal organization. I actually don't know if this is the case at the time of this RP. In the Games Team Rocket was always shown as an organization that did bad things in the shadows originally.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Doesn't really matter. Likewise it doesn't matter to me how the virus works, or what Team Rocket's plans are with it, or even if this virus has at all something to do with what they are trying to accomplish on the island. But then again, I'm playing a character who has never heard of Team Rocket before, nor even conceives of global domination. :p
He just sees that things are bad right now and he needs to survive with as many others if possible.

That's assuming that Team Rocket is a known criminal organization. I actually don't know if this is the case at the time of this RP. In the Games Team Rocket was always shown as an organization that did bad things in the shadows originally.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Doesn't really matter. Likewise it doesn't matter to me how the virus works, or what Team Rocket's plans are with it, or even if this virus has at all something to do with what they are trying to accomplish on the island. But then again, I'm playing a character who has never heard of Team Rocket before, nor even conceives of global domination. :p
He just sees that things are bad right now and he needs to survive with as many others if possible.

The games have never shown that. NPCs tell you what Team Rocket is, and do you really think that they would have been able to keep a low profile after taking over Silph Co. or a well known radio station?
If we assumed that no one knew who Team Rocket was, then they would still be suspicious. This sudden virus pops up, and this team magically has a cure? You think people wouldn't suspect some sort of evil intentions?
I'm asking these questions for the sake of the plot in the future. As I said, it's incredibly easy to write an RP into a corner, and kill it prematurely.
If the topic does not concern you then you simply do not need to reply to the thread. I was not addressing you, nor did I ask you to put your opinion in. If it does not contribute to, or answer these questions, then please do not reply.

If the topic does not concern you then you simply do not need to reply to the thread. I was not addressing you, nor did I ask you to put your opinion in. If it does not contribute to, or answer these questions, then please do not reply.
Oh I'm sorry, my bad for thinking this thread is open to all players to express their opinions on anything related to the RP. I was probably confused by the 75 pages of just that, an honest mistake really. ¬_¬

Oh I'm sorry, my bad for thinking this thread is open to all players to express their opinions on anything related to the RP. I was probably confused by the 75 pages of just that, an honest mistake really. ¬_¬

Not saying you can't contribute. I'm saying that you're not contributing anything, and I'd rather you not insert your opinion into something that doesn't require it. My questions were directed towards Astral for the sake of having them answered, or considered for the future story.

It's alright if you can simply pass off plot holes, and be along for the ride, but that is irrelevant to the current conversation. I'm asking the questions because I personally think criticism, and questioning flaws creates a much stronger piece than simply ignoring it.

A little less sarcasm and hostility would be terribly nice here, folks. You can do better than this.

I'm unsure if this is directed towards me, or someone else? To make it clear I do not intend to start an argument. I want to make sure that the direction of the story is figured out, and noticeable plot holes are as minimal as possible for the future. If I came off as hostile I'm terribly sorry about that.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I'm unsure if this is directed towards me, or someone else? To make it clear I do not intend to start an argument. I want to make sure that the direction of the story is figured out, and noticeable plot holes are as minimal as possible for the future. If I came off as hostile I'm terribly sorry about that.
It's not aimed at any one person in particular, but I note this is at least the second time I've found you in conflict with another member over differences in role playing style.

It's not aimed at any one person in particular, but I note this is at least the second time I've found you in conflict with another member over differences in role playing style.

My intent is for a civil discussion about the RP. Sorry for any inconvenience this has made for you.

My questions were directed towards Astral for the sake of having them answered, or considered for the future story.
It is recommended to move discussions to a private conversation if you're not open to anyone commenting. I believe it's even stated in the forum rules, probably to prevent exactly this kind of thing for occurring.
-

Sorry for the inconvenience Teapot

It is recommended to move discussions to a private conversation if you're not open to anyone commenting. I believe it's even stated in the forum rules, probably to prevent exactly this kind of thing for occurring.
-

Sorry for the inconvenience Teapot

I'm open to anyone commenting (Which is why I put it here) as long as they contribute to the discussion. I've already been in a PM with Astral, so this was already moved to a private discussion.
When you say " Likewise it doesn't matter to me how the virus works, or what Team Rocket's plans are with it, or even if this virus has at all something to do with what they are trying to accomplish on the island. " That literally tells me you do not care about the topic at hand, and are just putting your two cents in just to be heard. As a reader it matters to me how the virus works. I'm perfectly fine if you don't care, but I find it rude to state so to someone who does care. If it doesn't matter to you then that's irrelevant to the conversation. If you want to brainstorm ideas with me, then by all means do so.

>mfw animosity
popcorn_stephen_colbert.gif

Anywho, almost done with my post. Hope to have it up sometime either tonight or tomorrow. Need to go through and proofread it. @Mega Gallade X do you want to have Damien wake up?

I'm open to anyone commenting (Which is why I put it here) as long as they contribute to the discussion. I've already been in a PM with Astral, so this was already moved to a private discussion.
When you say " Likewise it doesn't matter to me how the virus works, or what Team Rocket's plans are with it, or even if this virus has at all something to do with what they are trying to accomplish on the island. " That literally tells me you do not care about the topic at hand, and are just putting your two cents in just to be heard. As a reader it matters to me how the virus works. I'm perfectly fine if you don't care, but I find it rude to state so to someone who does care. If it doesn't matter to you then that's irrelevant to the conversation. If you want to brainstorm ideas with me, then by all means do so.
This goes both ways though. The lot of us have been playing this RP for 3 months and no one has had any problems with these points you keep labeling at mistakes, and faults, and plot holes, and keep hammering to have them fixed. If you already have a private conversation going with Astral, why not stick to that and get all your answers there? The last time you brought these topics up it didn't go so well and prompted an admin to step in, and now again it's not actually adding anything.

When I said what I said about none of these things really mattering in order to RP, or pointing out the futility or deconstructing self imagined plots and then demanding the GM to change them or explain them, I was hoping it would perhaps help you realize that there is no need to kick up dust yet.

If you really just want to help then making some private suggestions is the perfect way to go, certainly a lot better than calling out the GM in public and confronting her with problems that aren't problems for the continuation of the RP, and to do so on more than one occasion.

Now that this, em, dispute is settled, I think we should ask the question that matters at this moment.

@Astralkitsune How can we continue the plot? Does Cassie need a post? Am I supposed to do something? I'm a little confused right now.

I've another question, would it be alright to say that Itigus's Pokemon are not currently infected, but will be later on? I do want to build on his team as characters in order to write a more emotional scene later on.

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post this, but if you ever feel like critiquing my work for a change, I have posted a prologue to a story in the creative corner. Feel free to comment.

I would say have Cassie run into Knox who can be seen to have either just finished the battle with the slaking or to have run from it.

Or rather Knox run into Cassie. Jake I hope you are paying attention.

Sorry Dreiki your Pokémon would be infected already.

I would say have Cassie run into Knox who can be seen to have either just finished the battle with the slaking or to have run from it.

Or rather Knox run into Cassie. Jake I hope you are paying attention.

Sorry Dreiki your Pokémon would be infected already.

Alright, just wanted to make sure.

I'd be down for that! What do you say, @Jake Acker?
Oh god I am so sorry guys, I have been completely neglecting this roleplay....Doesn't help that I haven't actually been getting any notifications for it but that isn't honestly an excuse. Im sorry to be such a pain... Im afraid im at rather a lot of stress at the moment IRL and have been struggling to find the motivation to participate in these high quality demanding roleplays, its just not the kind of stress I need you know? I know that this is a real dick move after all you people have done for me but I think I am going to have to drop out.

Seeing that currently nobody has come in to contact with Knox I hope that if I delete my posts it wont blemish this otherwise stunning roleplay. I really am incredibly sorry for being such a pain but life is being a little relentless right now.

Oh god I am so sorry guys, I have been completely neglecting this roleplay....Doesn't help that I haven't actually been getting any notifications for it but that isn't honestly an excuse. Im sorry to be such a pain... Im afraid im at rather a lot of stress at the moment IRL and have been struggling to find the motivation to participate in these high quality demanding roleplays, its just not the kind of stress I need you know? I know that this is a real dick move after all you people have done for me but I think I am going to have to drop out.

Seeing that currently nobody has come in to contact with Knox I hope that if I delete my posts it wont blemish this otherwise stunning roleplay. I really am incredibly sorry for being such a pain but life is being a little relentless right now.

Well I thank you for what you have contributed, and can only hope that you will continue to contribute in some of the other RPs around here :3 Especially in the Suimera one, since Wilhelm is one of my faves *w*

In other news, I've finished what I like to call the SFD (Shitty First Draft) of my final Delilah reply. Gonna proofread it over and then finally post it.

It's gonna be a big 'un owo

Well I thank you for what you have contributed, and can only hope that you will continue to contribute in some of the other RPs around here :3 Especially in the Suimera one, since Wilhelm is one of my faves *w*

In other news, I've finished what I like to call the SFD (Shitty First Draft) of my final Delilah reply. Gonna proofread it over and then finally post it.

It's gonna be a big 'un owo
Thanks Chrocey, I will certainly give Wilhelm updates from time to time :3

Doesn't help that I haven't actually been getting any notifications for it

Yeah, the silly notification system does that.
I haven't been getting any notifications for this RP either.

I've worked out that if you have a notification that says something like "Anonymous Posted In 'Such and Such RP'" and there is text under it that says 'There may be more posts after this.', if you don't click the notification to see the post, then you won't get any more notifications until you click that notification, or visit the thread.

I don't know if this is the way the system works, but I usually just go into my watched threads to find the thread if I haven't gotten a notification for it after a while.

Alright, final post for Delilah is up at long last. I tried to write her off in an epic way, so if I've achieved that by any means, then I'm satisfied xD Now, I shall leave my bookmark in this story for the time being. If you all continue with it, I might join back later down the road. Hope everyone has fun with this one! I look forward to roleplaying with all of you in other topics should we ever get the chance :3

Great post Chrocey, for a minute there I really though either Delilah or Beedrill would die.
-

Then on to an even more direct topic than the survival of a trainer and that is the survival of this RP. Astral recently contacted theWonderful and myself with the request if we would like to take over the RP from her. Now Pen is already juggling a number of RPs and while I can manage one or two Salems I am less confident in a whole campaign with a list of NPC's , many of which I don't really agree with. It would be a lot of work taking this over in a way I would find satisfying, but on the other hand I really don't want to see this story bleed out unfinished, so I'm on the fence still.
I decided that the least I can do is see which players are still here and wanting to work with me towards some closure, a head count if you will.

So on that note, can I see a show of hands? In a manner of speaking .