• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Cost of Pokemon

Out of curiosity, how much did you all pay for your FireRed or LeafGreen? Also, what do you think is a reasonable price? I haven't bought mine yet and I'd like to know how much I should pay.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I will be paying £38 for my copy of Pokemon Fire Red. Including the 3 deposit for pre-ordering.

£35.00 seems fair enough to me for Pokemon. Personally, i'd buy proper Pokemon Games at any price. They're worth it, so why not.

The rest of the GBA's library is not, however, worth £35.00 and are only at that price so as not to make huge losses over the lack of sales for their games.

Thank god the DS's cards will be a lot cheaper whilst hopefully maintaining a high level of quality too.

I paid about $50 for my copy (plus $3 for tax). The average price for a game I buy is closer to $40 than $50, but when you think about it, that $50 paid for not only a great game cartridge, but also for a spiffy (and, I might add, large enough to serve as my carry-on luggage) Pokémon FireRed & LeafGreen school bag, a Wireless Adapter, the refreshment of old memories and the halfway house for my Pokémon collection (you know, until Emerald comes out). I was happy to shell it out for this game.

Which doesn't leave me much money for Paper Mario or DK bongos...

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Bloody PEI taxes >_<

I paid $58 for both, but I'm getting $20 back for them. Either way, $58 is too much money for a GBA game in my opinion. Sonic Advance 3 is selling new for $38. I've come to expect price rises like this, though, because you see it a lot with console games.

Either way, I think $45-50 Canadian is a good price to be paying. Anymore than that and it feels like they're ripping you off.

Popular games like Pokémon and Golden Sun tend to be more expensive. Just back in May I bought Mario vs. Donkey Kong for $35, brand new at EBGames, the same place I bought LeafGreen. That doesn't mean that Mario vs. Donkey Kong wasn't a quality game that gave me hours of entertainment for a few months, just that it wasn't a big-name game that Nintendo knew would sell nearly 8 million copies before it was even released. The Wireless Adapter is probably guilty of upping the price a little, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
There's no such problem here concerning popular games. Every game is sold at the same price on launch unless it has something extra, like the SOCOM headset or the Donkey Konga Bongos. The Wireless adaptor, however, as we all know is free.

The only time the prices will vary is concerning old games and games with bad reviews. If a game gets a really low score, GAME tend to mark down the price.

I still don't know how much Donkey Konga's going to sting me. I'm guessing around £40-50. Good thing the Bongos seem to have further uses, i definitely will consider DK's future Bongo Related outings now. A lot more than i previously would have through my apathy concerning the character and his past games.