• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Charming Mafia - Round Five: Rules, Sign-ups, and Q&A

Re: The Charming Mafia - Round Five: Rules, Sign-ups, and Q&

I'll openly admit to doing this and I'm probably a major part of this subject :| I'll admit it does seem a bit fun killing but I think some roles don't apply to this. One thing I have noticed is the does seem to be an increase in dramatics aswell which are fun killing and I'll admit to that aswell :x It is actually making me consider whether I should sign up for Mafia 6 (if there is one)

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator

I agree. The spirit of the game is ruined as soon as people stop treating it as just a game, and it makes it incredibly draining to run, so I can't imagine how it must be like to play. Role revealing, in the context we have seen today and before, needs to stop. I've already spoken to one player about it, and I won't hesitate to start ejecting people if they ruin it for others.

In brighter news, I have something fun planned. Watch this space.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader

Yeah, I definitely agree with Katie. I honestly believe that there was a lot of information sharing going on that wasn't exactly legal (as in somebody who was dead was informing somebody still alive). Granted this is just speculation that I was told, but it seemed to fit into what happened recently.

As any of us whom have ever played Mafia knows, when you die you find things out, and it seems some people aren't exactly respecting the game and telling living people things. Obviously I don't want to divulge things, but after the game we're going to have to discuss some things. Hopefully people will just be honest about things too.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Sir Red said:
Yeah, I definitely agree with Katie. I honestly believe that there was a lot of information sharing going on that wasn't exactly legal (as in somebody who was dead was informing somebody still alive). Granted this is just speculation that I was told, but it seemed to fit into what happened recently.

As any of us whom have ever played Mafia knows, when you die you find things out, and it seems some people aren't exactly respecting the game and telling living people things. Obviously I don't want to divulge things, but after the game we're going to have to discuss some things. Hopefully people will just be honest about things too.

Auugh. Once again, I facepalm. I had no idea this was going on too. x.X

Not cool, guys. :down:

Yep, totally agree with this. There was a lot of in private stuff going off so people garner an idea. I think if we were to do this again I would turn the who's online bit off again as it broke this game alot. Also Red was right about undead sharing hopefully none of the remaining members other than the 2 I know about have been leaked info.

I'll admit it: I've been told some info. However, I've been really good about keeping it to myself, even from other dead people. I also agree with pretty much everything that's been said so far. T

he point of Mafia is to guess, and by being told...that kinda defeats the purpose |D

Sir Red said:

Seriously guys? That's half the fun of being dead! Finding out junk and holding it over the heads of living people. Dead people tell no tales (except to other dead people)--that's the golden rule of mafia. But yeah, I agree with everything that's been said. It really kills the fun of mafia and destroys any sort of strategy. Seriously if I've been a part of of any fun killing, I apologize in advance. I love playing mafia here and I hate to see the game get ruined via rule exploitation.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football

I'll take full responsibility for everything this time.

It was a bad decision on my part to go around telling people of my role, but at the time I felt like it was all part of a plan to get people scared that I was the mad bomber and therefore avoid lynching me. Or perhaps they would think that I was just being silly and not take my words seriously. At the time, either would've worked to my favor: I could die and reveal more mafia, or I wouldn't die and perhaps live another day. Either way, I ended up telling people my role, and it's costed not just me, but I feel like this whole game now.

And yes, dead people do tell other dead'd what they know, and I will admit that I talked to another dead person once I found out some info on the various stuff going on in the game. Though it wasn't me who talked to those still alive, I still feel it's my fault for partially being an influence on the person I revealed information to.

Basically, when I'm in a mafia game, things just tend to go wrong, and it's actually my fault. I hope this doesn't keep going on for the rest of this game and the next game, and hope I and others can learn how to mature up already and treat this as the game it should be.

Dwayna DragonFire

2014 Little Cup Champion

It was Lyn's post about the special roles that made me slip up about my role, I thought it meant something completely different and I flipped out. Irregardless I do have an opinion on what's been going on: There is far too much mudslinging going around and people can be offended even if this is just a game. Friendships are put on the line for little things all the time (trust me, I know first hand), and this game tests our trust in other people that we call our friends on this forum. The very fact that there has been hurt feelings at all says enough, in my opinion.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator

Dwayna DragonFire said:
It was Lyn's post about the special roles that made me slip up about my role, I thought it meant something completely different and I flipped out. Irregardless I do have an opinion on what's been going on: There is far too much mudslinging going around and people can be offended even if this is just a game. Friendships are put on the line for little things all the time (trust me, I know first hand), and this game tests our trust in other people that we call our friends on this forum. The very fact that there has been hurt feelings at all says enough, in my opinion.

This is a bit extreme, IMO. I don't know about you guys, but I treat Mafia for what it is - a game. It doesn't affect my friendships with other people or anything like that. If it does, you're taking it too seriously and should really consider not playing mafia again -=/

Dwayna DragonFire

2014 Little Cup Champion

Yoshimitsu said:
This is a bit extreme, IMO. I don't know about you guys, but I treat Mafia for what it is - a game. It doesn't affect my friendships with other people or anything like that. If it does, you're taking it too seriously and should really consider not playing mafia again -=/
I was just commenting on the fact that I've seen people's feelings hurt and I hate to see that happen because of a game. It's true some might not be effected but it seems to me that some people do take it seriously. I care about you guys and I don't want to see you get offended over things that can have no meaning to one person but can offend the next. I'm sorry if any feelings have been hurt and I hope no friendships have been seriously tested.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator

Dwayna DragonFire said:
Yoshimitsu said:
I was just commenting on the fact that I've seen people's feelings hurt and I hate to see that happen because of a game. It's true some might not be effected but it seems to me that some people do take it seriously. I care about you guys and I don't want to see you get offended over things that can have no meaning to one person but can offend the next. I'm sorry if any feelings have been hurt and I hope no friendships have been seriously tested.

Just quoting this here since this is the exact opposite of what I said.

Like I said, if you're upset over a game like this, you need to really rethink playing it. If you can't separate your emotions from a game where deception is required, you shouldn't be playing it. End of.

Not aimed at you, Dway, just in general.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader

As one of the people who plays Mafia the "most serious", I have to say that I don't take any of it seriously. If anything it's made me closer with people from playing it (ShoxRed bromance stemming from Mafia) rather than the opposite.

I mean I attack people in the discussions to get them lynched, but as soon as they're gone I'm fine with them. It's a game and I treat it as such, they are simply an obstacle to get around to win the game.

Honestly I have to agree with El. If people can't separate their emotions from a game that requires deception, lying and backstabbing then this probably is not the game for you.

I can only agree. Of course Mafia is an emotional game- With all the secrecy, possibly false suspicions going on- But it shouldn't afflict your everyday relationship and friendship with any of the other regulars. We can't allow a forum game to create a division amongst our members outside of said game- That would be a terrible thing.

Hmm, I somewhat agree with both sides, it can become easy to insult/offend people within this game just by wording a sentence wrong. But I do agree it should come second nature to put emotions and friendships aside and realise any insults/offence created isn't meaningful.

I do agree with Red on bring people closer together as well, there was even an example of it in this game. For anyone wondering it was Red and Riley, who hardly chat with each other but had a fairly long conversation the other day from what Riley told me. Another thing I think that brings people together is alliances especially surprise alliances.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Sir Red said:
As one of the people who plays Mafia the "most serious", I have to say that I don't take any of it seriously. If anything it's made me closer with people from playing it (ShoxRed bromance stemming from Mafia) rather than the opposite.

Same for me. I've never been offended by someone during this game, and I heavily apologise if I've ever offended or strongly annoyed anyone else. It's a game and it's meant to be played, and sometimes playing it requires that I be annoying in order to get the results I want. Nobody should expect anything less. :8B:

The bottom line for me is that I fully appreciate the concerns, but I also accept that this is a game that involves accusing, lying to, and backstabbing other players - including friends. As long as everyone remembers this and doesn't take it seriously or personally, the game is great fun. If someone can't separate their deeper emotions from it or already has pre-existing trust issues, Mafia really isn't a game for them.