• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Betterer Festivitie!

Betterer Festivitie?

• Guy Fawkes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Halloween

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Bonfire Night.

And it's Guy Faukes is it not?

I didn't know that the Australians and NZ's celebrated Bonfire night, after all we're closer and we don't celebrate it. It's very much an English holiday and Halloween easily beats it.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Ah! The burning of the royals night ^__^

Since we don't even speak of it in Canada, Halloween all the way! Who doesn't like free candy? ;)

We all call it Fawkes, and it's not burning royals, it's burning terrorists (in a way)

I think I got the best deal anyway, both are equally celebrated and only a week apart. Now how about some explosive candy kiddies?

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
On 5th November 1666, some Catholics tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament. There were 7 or 8 of them in total, but the guy who got caught in the basement with the gunpowder got declared the ringleader (even though he probably wasn't). Because, I mean, he was the one with the gunpowder, so he must've been in charge?! (No, maybe he was just the fall guy?!). His name was Guido Fawkes, and since 1666 every year around the 5th November people burn effigies of him (called guys) on a bonfire. Or at least they do in England. I wouldn't be surprised if in Scotland and Wales they hug the effigies and take them out to dinner instead ;).

Oh yeah, there's a poem as well:
Remember, remember, the 5th of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
should ever be forgot.

Ye-es.

From a personal point of view, I don't have anything against Halloween apart from Trick or Treating, which I hate (because it's a horrible Americanism and Them Inflicting Their Culture On Us). I have a lot against Guy Fawkes' Night, because the bonfires produce an enormous amount of pollution each year. Without getting into pages and pages of (probably incomprehensible) waffle, the amount of pollution produced from the bonfires can be more than 10 times the normal "background" pollution in a city from cars etc. And apart from being bad for the planet and increasing global warming etc etc it's a nightmare for asthmatics. I started to feel crap a week ago, and I'll probably continue to feel crap for another week. There's nothing quite like producing enormous amounts of snot, coughing all the time and having a permanent headache from lack of oxygen to make you feel thoroughly wonderful :x.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I explained it to Katie last week. ^^ They make us all learn it in Primary School in all UK Cirriculums.

Fawkes (i conceed) wasn't the ringleader. He was brought in specificly because of his skills by Catholic shit-stirrers. He was the one that got all the infamy for it but he most certainly was not the leader of the resistance.

It's strange that we call them terrorists today, back then they were simply revolutionaries. In fact, they had just reason to be angry with the government they tried to overthrow. Does that make it right? Does that make it any less of a terrorist act?

Just a reminder to any Americans that the only reason they ARE American and not just another British Colony is because of 'terrorists'. No new country was founded without war used alongside 'terrorism'.

Even more recently are the atrocities by America against Japan - gulfing that even of the Gulf War 2.

Meh, getting off topic.

Heh. This Guy Fawkes Day sounds like fun. Yoshimitsu explained it to me yesterday via mike. Yep. Burning rag dolls. 00ber-fun. WAY more fun than going around town just to find stores with "NO MORE CANDY" signs on their doors.

In Colombia, they do something a little similar to Guy Fawkes Day, except we do it on New Year's Eve. We make this rag doll....person....thing, set it on the street, and BURN IT. Fun. The rag doll....person....thing is supposed to symbolize the New Year and....yep. You do the math. :p

Damn, I wish we had Guy Fawkes Day over here in the US. :evil:

And I finally know what "treacle" is. When Yoshi said it, I confused it with "Treecko".

>XD

Well burning effegies is quite a strange thing to do round here on Guy Fawkes, and we almost never have bonfires. Just huge amounts of fireworks and other "homestyle" explosives.

In fact our biggest Guy Fawkes problem is maimings and grass-fires not smoke.

What's the legal age for purchase of fireworks in your little hamlets?

baratron said:
I wouldn't be surprised if in Scotland and Wales they hug the effigies and take them out to dinner instead ;).

Haha I wish but alas it is the same in Scotland although nowadays they tend to just burn piles of wood and set off mountains of fireworks.

[tiny rant]And might I point out the other countries in the UK do not or rather should not hate the english people, but rather what the english government has done to our countrys over the years. People forget the English as a whole are no diffrent from ourselves it's the men who ran the country at the time who wronged us. [/tiny rant]

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Damien said:
baratron said:
I wouldn't be surprised if in Scotland and Wales they hug the effigies and take them out to dinner instead ;).

Haha I wish but alas it is the same in Scotland although nowadays they tend to just burn piles of wood and set off mountains of fireworks.

[tiny rant]And might I point out the other countries in the UK do not or rather should not hate the english people, but rather what the english government has done to our countrys over the years. People forget the English as a whole are no diffrent from ourselves it's the men who ran the country at the time who wronged us. [/tiny rant]

Nah, believe me, Nem's the biggest prick of the English and he openly admits that he's the perfect stereotype for his nation. ^^ His own words.