• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The best locations to EV train (Gen IV - HG/SS/Pt)?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm in the middle of sorting out the Games Wiki EV page, but I'm missing a bit of information that you guys can probably help provide.

I want some suggestions for the most efficient EV training locations in HG/SS and Platinum. KoL has already provided many good suggestions for Diamond and Pearl, so I think we're set there. HG/SS however we've never really looked into too deeply, and Platinum probably has a few viable locations that D/P didn't.

All suggestions are welcome, just tell me which game you're referring to, the target EV, the Pokemon you battle for it, and the locations.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps! :)

For now I'm only going to focus on the Gen IV games, but if someone wants to take a swing at B/W locations - feel free.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
For HG/SS, I've chosen these locations:

HP: Caterpie and Hoothoot are the best low-level options. Route 29 contains tons of Hoothoot at night, and for HG players Caterpie can be found in droves around Route 30...but only during the day. You may have to be a bit selective here depending on the time of day and the game you have.

Attack: Sentret on Route 29 during the day, Spinarak on Route 30 at night. Easy

Defense: Geodude in Dark Cave on Route 31 are the best choice.

Sp.Attack: You'll have to wait until night for this, but Gastly appear in droves at Sprout Tower when the sun sets.

Sp.Defense: Unfortunately, the only good place I've found for this one is surfing in water for Tentacool/Tentacruel. EXP. Share will likely be necessary for this one.

Speed: Rattata in Sprout Tower all day, Zubat in Dark Cave. If you're a slightly higher level (or immune to Ground) then Diglett's Cave is by far the best option, as you'll only encounter Diglett and Dugtrio giving nothing but Speed EVs.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
For HG/SS:

- HP: Surf in Slowpoke Well. Only Slowpokes there who give off HP EV's.
- Attack: Route 42. Surf and battle Goldeen/Seaking.
- Defense: Route 45. Geodude/Graveler, Skarmory, Gligar
- Sp. Attack: Surf in Illex Forest. Only Psyduck and Golduck. Alternately, the Ruins of Alph can work (Unown).
- Sp. Def: Pretty much any surfing route as you can just battle tons of Tentacool/Tentacruel.
- Speed: Route 7. Meowth/Persian, Ratatta/Raticate, Spearow, Murkrow, Vulpix

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Sir Red said:
- Sp. Attack: Surf in Illex Forest. Only Psyduck and Golduck. Alternately, the Ruins of Alph can work (Unown).

The bolded part is wrong - Unown gives Sp.Attack AND Attack, which will ruin anything looking to train in Sp.Attack/HP or Sp.Attack/Speed only.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for pointing that out, KoL. I didn't know they gave both types of EVs either... :O

And thanks to both of you for the suggestions! ^^

Any takers for extra areas in Platinum?

I usually EV train inthe route under goldenrod in HG because there is ditto, which give HP, drowsee, which give Sp. Defense, Abra, which give Sp. Attack, and Rattata which give speed.