• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Best Black & White Starter?

The starter you will choose when Gen V comes out "Excuse any Misspellings"

• Snivy - Grass

Votes: 43 37.7%
  • Tepig - Fire

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • Oshowott - Water

Votes: 37 32.5%
  • Snivy - Grass

Votes: 43 37.7%
  • Tepig - Fire

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • Oshowott - Water

Votes: 37 32.5%

• Total voters
This Poll was created to decide which Starter is the most Popular and the most favorite by the People.

My Vote was the grass starter

EDIT: I changed my vote to the water starter.

Edit2: I changed the names to the English Names

From looks alone, I would choose the Grass type. However, unless the stats are good for the Water type, I doubt I'll choose it.

I really think the fire type is the cutest atm. Without knowing stats, I can't really say more than that. And if it turns out one of the others has a cooler final evolution or one that fits my team, I may switch my vote.

Reina Carmen said:
And if it turns out one of the others has a cooler final evolution or one that fits my team, I may switch my vote.
EDIT: Um unless you know how to change the poll to where you can switch your vote. tell me, otherwise your cant switch your vote cause I forgot to set it up to where you can switch your vote heheheh :-[

BlackAmber said:
Um unless you know how to change the poll to where you can switch tell me otherwise your vote cant switch cause I forgot to set it up to where you can switch ur vote ehhehe :-[

Riiiight, see, I didn't necessarily mean changing my vote in the poll you know. I meant just changing my mind in general <<;

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
BlackAmber said:
Um unless you know how to change the poll to where you can switch tell me otherwise your vote cant switch cause I forgot to set it up to where you can switch ur vote ehhehe :-[
I switched it so you could change your vote for you. Also, please type properly - although we don't have a rules thread up, they all still apply. "Your", not "ur", please.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
From the little information that we have at the moment my favorite is Pokabu, but there are still so many things that could make me change my choice for starter. Evolutions, stats, movepools, type coverage, type abundance (Reason why I originally chose Chimchar in Diamond). So it's still up in the air for me.

I like the Water type the best so far.

I already have plans of getting one and naming it Billiards and making it my best friend ever ♥

Right now I doubt I'm going to change my mind, but who knows. I never import the Japanese versions, so in the year or so it takes for Black/White to come out in the US it's possible I could choose differently.

I personally prefer Tsutaaja, it just instantly appealed to me. Unless one of the middle/last evos of Poka/Miju is INSANELY AWESOME, I don't think I'll be changing my mind ~ ♥

I like the fire starter but I would choose a starter to play the game through with on what types are available early on so generally fire is my first choice because most fire pokemon appear late game.

At first glance, Grass is my favorite, but usually, I go by who has the better overall stats and such, so appearence wise, I like Tsutaaja.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
If I can only vote for one, my pick goes to Pokabu. Even though I feel Tetsuja has the more solid design, I like Pokachu better overall. It's a simple, but cute, design, I love piglets, and I bet it'll have lots of personality. The way it hops in battle is bloody squeeable, too.

Depending on their mid/final stages, this may be the first Gen that I break tradition and go for the Fire starter first (or at the very least, have both the Fire and Grass-type starters).

I actually don't know which one to pick. Tetsuja, as everyone would agree, is the coolest looking, and will probably evolve into some sort of gangster snake.

Pokabu is the cutest, and fire is my favorite type, apart from fighting at least. However, I'm worried about what the pig will evolve into. It might end up like a fatter, freaker version of Mamoswine.

And Mijamaru is probably going to be the most handy against Gym Leaders. My explanation is a bit (if not completely) irrational, but the most suitable starter seems to rotate with regions and generations. Bulbasaur was the best starter for the first three (four if you value defense over attack) gyms as well as the last one. Totodile had no basic weaknesses in any of the gyms in Johto. Hoenn's Torchic was invaluable (at least to me) for the later gyms and the Elite Four. And the cycle repeats with Turtwig in Sinnoh, being effective, through grass or ground, against all except Gardenia and Fantina. If that cycle continues, then Water types will find the Isshu Gym Leaders a breeze, so Mijamaru would be an easy starter to go with. I rest my case.

Putting all this into account, I've decided to cast my vote for Pokabu for now, but I might change my mind once I find out what its evolutions are.

Rex

Resident Furry
Normally, I go with the fire type. However, this time around I am currently most partial to Mijumaru. Sorry, but I hate pigs, and the Grass... I don't really know what I have against the Grass, but there is just something wrong with it in my mind.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
At this point, I'm planning to choose Mijumaru. If for whatever reason it turns out that I dislike his final evo, then obviously I'll probably defect to Tsutaja. Pokabu is currently my least favourite, but you never know. To be fair, I disliked Mijumaru when I first saw him, but after a little while of looking at him, I just completely melted and loved him instead. Sometimes I think I have to just get used to stuff XD

It will be the first time I've ever chosen the Water Starter on my first play through of the game (Charmander/Cyndaquil/Treecko/Turtwig), so that should be interesting. Knowing my luck the first gym will be grass or electric for the first time ever XD

I do really like Tsutaja, and I'm half tempted to try and get hold of both him and Mijumaru. But of course then I'd probably just go and get Pokabu~

We'll see what happens...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have to say Tetsuja, he just looks like a fast bugger and I can imagine his evos are gonna be rather cool looking. Hope they wont disappoint.

Miji... It's an otter. Otters are win. Also, it's evo could be something different. Just from looking at Tet and Poka, you can tell that Tet is gonna be fast and Poka is gonna be a tankish one (if it's different, then well, what ever). So yeah, that's just what I think.

I go in a loop. Water, fire, water, fire. I hold true to that loop still. Its not that I don't like Grass starters, but I always feel bored when I pick them. Plus, Mijumaru is just awesome. Snowman+Otter= a ♥ from me.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
It took a few weeks, but I finally settled on Mijumaru the Water starter. Traditionally I have always gone with the Water starter and the fact that Mijumaru seems to be the least liked of this Gen's starters makes it seem more of a... whatever the opposite of a commodity is >>;

Anyway, Mijumaru just has a quality to it that I like so it shall be my choice.

Um, not to be picky here or anything, but the grass starter's name is Tsutaaja, not Tetsuja...

I'm still waiting on full evolution chains to see which starter I'll get tbh.

Right now its between the fire type and the water type for me. But I am leaning more towards the fire type because i always pick the fire type starter and he is just so cute ;D .

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I'm kinda tied between the grass and fire starter, though there's a good chance I'll end up picking Pokabu. I tend to have a habbit of choosing the fire starter the first time through the game anyways, and plus, I was born in the year of the pig (according to the Chinese Zodiac), so that might make me want to pick the little fire pig even more. XD

I personally think that Tsujaaja is the coolest. And what would be cooler, is that when it evolves, it becomes Grass/Electric type! Epic, right?

I change mine to Pokabu. I like fire pigs. I mean, who doesn't?

Personally, I'm not going to judge the Starters JUST yet for like the meta gaming and such but as looks and such. Mijumaru and Pokabu take the cake for me, fuck that... weird ass snake thingy, it doesn't look right to me.

But over all, I'm just going to wait for the game to come out and see who is the best ^_^

Lunchbox Hero said:
Personally, I'm not going to judge the Starters JUST yet for like the meta gaming and such but as looks and such. Mijumaru and Pokabu take the cake for me, fuck that... weird ass snake thingy, it doesn't look right to me.

But over all, I'm just going to wait for the game to come out and see who is the best ^_^
Please Restrain your self of Offensive Language I dont really like seeing it in these fourms.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
BlackAmber said:
Lunchbox Hero said:

Please Restrain your self of Offensive Language I dont really like seeing it in these fourms.

It's not your call, tho (and you're mini-modding, which is an extra no-no).
Sorry, but we have an actual rule that allows cursing/swearing on the forums within reason:

viewtopic.php?t=4

Also, just for the record, I don't see any particular reason to lock the voting. Unlock it, I say. It'll give us better results for the question overall. :)

If I knew how to quote crap, I would. But I don't. Oops.

Anyways, not trying to argue with you linkachu, considering how you seem to be the big boss guy thingy on this site, but since blackamber posted this poll shouldn't he have a right as to whether or not people can swear on this one poll. I mean, maybe he's highly religious or something. Like I said, I don't mean to be disrespectful or anything, since you could kick me off the site if you wanted. ;D

Comatose23 said:
If I knew how to quote crap, I would. But I don't. Oops.

Anyways, not trying to argue with you linkachu, considering how you seem to be the big boss guy thingy on this site, but since blackamber posted this poll shouldn't he have a right as to whether or not people can swear on this one poll. I mean, maybe he's highly religious or something. Like I said, I don't mean to be disrespectful or anything, since you could kick me off the site if you wanted. ;D
Thank you for saying that but Linkachu over rules...I think? :-\ Anywho the reason I even Mentioned it was because I am Religious
Plus its a habit of mine online and real life but lets go back to the original topic of The Best Starter! (Piano Montage) :D

I don't normally start with fire types, but I'm going to choose the pig. Wotter and Smugleaf are just too...weird for me.

Also, those English names aren't official.

I'm probably going to get Mijimaru because it just appeals to me and let's face it......it's a freaking otter! Who doesn't like otters? However if it's stats are awful I might go for Tsutarja, but it's pretty unlikely.