• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join The Beginning Of Our Story

This Roleplay is set during Kukui's younger days and to explore his friendship with my OC - Molly Reed for another roleplay set in the present.

Discussion for this Roleplay : pokecharms.com/threads/home-is-where-the-heart-is-gen-vii-idea.14866/
The Roleplay itself : http://pokecharms.com/threads/home-is-where-the-heart-is-alolan-adventure-rp.14928/

Please read them as well as message me if you wish to join this RP or the other one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Molly never had any intention of travelling away from her home let alone taking part in pokemon battles. It wasn't that she was afraid of pokemon - on the contrary she was fascinated by them and worked alongside them in her mothers store. It was small but made enough money to keep both fed and clothed. And she was more than happy to stay that way...until her mother dropped the bombshell.

Professor Koa had been looking for apprentices to take part in the island challenge in the hope that he could find a successor. His age had started to show and the last thing he wanted was for the region her loved so much to no longer have a Professor to lead and encourage new trainers to thrive. And her mother had put her name forward.

So now, she waited in Iki Town - as arranged by the Professor where she hoped others would soon join her. However there was one face she had hoped not to see...

"I didn't think a weakling like you would be here, Reed!" A voice sneered, a hand soon shooting out to grab hold of her satchel and hold it above her head.

"Guzma, give that back!" She demanded, jumping to try and take it from him but the white haired teen was too quick for her, simply sneering before pushing her back into the dirt.

"Trust that oaf Koa to ask someone like you to do his work for him." He tsked, opening the satchel to start rummaging through her things.

"Hey, Guzma, cut that out! What has Molly ever done to you?" exclaimed Kukui as he showed up. He grabbed the satchel from Guzma, helped get Molly back on her feet, and handed Molly her satchel. "And Guzma we're all here for the island challenge. We should learn all get along and work together. That's what having a Pokemon journey really about! Yeah! Now come on, let's go get our starter Pokemon!" exclaimed Kukui. He grabbed both Guzma and Molly by their hands and started running to Iki Town. "Woo! I feel like a Pokemon using Agility!" exclaimed Kukui as they finally arrived. And standing before them was Professor Koa. "Hahaha! You kids are so full of energy! Come on now, it's time to pick out your starter!" said Professor Koa as he threw out three Pokemon from their Poke-balls. "Woah! Well. I love Pokemon moves, espicially ones that go boom! So I'm deciding on Litten! Yeah!" exclaimed Kukui as he grabbed the Litten.

Guzma scowled as Kukui showed up, annoyed that his fun had been spoiled. He enjoyed picking on those weaker than him in order to make himself feel stronger. However, Kukui was bigger than he was and so didn't want to fight back...not until he had his own pokemon to be able to fight back at least. Molly brushed her fringe from her eyes and thanked Kukui as he handed back her bag.

As the Professor made his speech, Molly watched as the three pokemon appeared though her eyes immediately went to the little owl. As Kukui made his choice, she then made hers.

"I think...I will choose Rowlet as my partner. If you will have me?" She asked the grass owl who chirped happily and hopped onto her shoulder, Molly laughing softly as it nuzzled her.

Guzma, however, scrunched his nose in disgust at the pokemon left for him - folding his arms angrily.

"I'm being left with this!? How is this supposed to beat down my enemies, huh!?" He growled at the Popplio before stamping his feet. "No! No i'll catch my own tough pokemon! Just watch me!"

With that, he turned and laughed to himself - running out of the town to catch his own pokemon. Professor Koa sighed sadly, picking up the ignored Popplio before looking to both Molly and Kukui.

"How about you both have a friendly pokemon battle, Hm? Nothing like a test to start your adventure, eh?"

Molly looked nervously to Kukui, about to decline but remembered that all new trainers had to go through this test.

"O-Okay. I'll do my best!"

OOC: It was actually Kukui that made the speech, not the professor. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

BIC:
"See yah' later Guzma! And I'm in! I can't wait to battle and see the amazing moves Litten has! Woo!" said Kukui as he sent out Litten. "Let's go Molly! One on One! No hold backs! OH Yeah! I'm pumped!" exclaimed Kukui. "Now Litten, use Scratch!" exclaimed Kukui. The Litten let out its sharp claws and was ready to attack.

OOC : Oh no I knew that. I just presumed the Professor would make a speech about going on a journey ^.^

Swallowing hard, Molly stood up though quickly had to clutch her still open satchel to stop its contents falling out.

"Oh uh - let's go Pippin!" She nicknamed on the spot, the little bird looking determiend then as he jumped off her shoulder and flapped its wings as warning.

However, the bird fell back at the attack, Molly looking worried and debating on calling off the battle until he hopped back to his feet.

"Are you okay?" She asked, taking a deep breath and holding her hand out. "Pip, let's try a tackle attack!"

Rowlet flapped its wings and charged at the black and red kitten with its talons out.

"Nice! This is what I like to see! Yeah!" exclaimed Kukui. He couldn't help but get excited, he loved Pokemon moves way too much. His Litten had the same determined expression. "Sorry Molly, but I just have too. Litten use Ember!" exclaimed Kukui. Litten than, with all his might, let out a gigantic hairball that was on fire, to Pippin, but it still wasn't enough to take it down. "Ok, Litten, when Molly's Rowlet uses its next attack, try to attack it with another Ember! Woo!" Kukui was the most pump he has ever been in his life. "Hey! Molly are you having the same amount of fun I am? Because I don't want to battle if both of us aren't having any fun."

Last edited:
Pippin as enjoying himself too despite the damage he was taking, coo'ing loudly as the ember connected. But he held on, ruffling his feathers up and getting ready for his turn.

Molly though was shocked by the attack, struggling to come up with words as Pippin waited for her orders.

"Um...I don't...I...Try...try growl!" She commanded unsurely, the determined owl nodding before letting out a loud sound.

At Kukuis question, she blinked in surprise mostly because she was unsure how anyone would enjoy such a thing. But as she looked out to Pippin who was trying his hardest to keep up - despite her inexperience - she thought on the question hard.

"I'm nowhere near as good as you, Kukui. But i'm...i'm going to try and give it my all!"

"That's what I like to hear! Now Litten, use the same technique like before and this time with more power! Remember, Growl, only lowers Attack, not Sp. Attack. Yeah!" ordered Kukui. Litten spitted out many Embers, so that it would be impossible for Pippin to dodge. "I'm getting fired up just like my Litten! Woo!" exclaimed Kukui. All the Embers caused a giant ball of smoke, no one could see anything.

Molly had known that Kukui was interested in battle given how he did wrestling himself - but she never realised he knew this much about it! As he launched his attack, she covered her face with her arms as smoke filled the arena.

"Pippin!" Molly called out worriedly, rushing into the smoke to find Pippin knocked out. "Oh are you okay?"

The bird tried to stand on its own two feet but with a final chirp, it lay back down on the ground. Professor Koa raised his hand up to the air, a wheezy breath escaping him as he spoke.

"Kukui, my boy, you are the winner! A valiant effort by both sides, for sure!"

Molly scooped up Rowlet and gave it a gentle kiss on its forehead before taking out its pokeball, clicking the button to return him.

"It's okay Pippin, you did a great job." She reassured before brushing her plaid skirt off before smiling to Kukui. "You and Litten are a great team! I should have expected you to be so tough."

Professor Koa gave them each ten pokeballs and a pokedex, taking a breath on his inhalor before smiling sweetly to them both.

"You are both unique individuals - both with fine qualities. Perhaps you two could travel together, learn from one another? Of course only one of you can take my position! Ha ha ha!"

Kukui was glad that he won the battle and all, but he felt bad because of how he went a little overboard. "Hey Molly, here's some berries and Poke-beans for Pippin. It's the least I could do. I didn't mean to go overboard, I just love Pokemon moves and battles way too much." said Kukui to Molly. And there was someone else Kukui felt bad for, the Popplio that was ignored by Guzma. The nerve of Guzma, always only thinking about himself. "Um, Professor Koa, is it OK if I can take Popplio with me on the island challenge, or not?" asked Kukui.

Molly smied sweetly, thanking him for the beans and carefully tucking it away into her bag before looking down at Litten - crouching down once more to pet it gently on the head.

"Don't be sorry...I have to get stronger, don't I? And you did a great job too, Litten!" She beamed, earning a soft 'rowr' from the pokemon.

Professor Koa arched an eyebrow but soon nodded, holding out the pokeball for Kukui.

"I think that is a splendid idea! After all, i'm sure Poplio would love nothing more than to go on an adventure! Better that then sitting around the lab...here you go, my boy!" He looked to Molly then. "Now...Molly, my girl, this is an important lesson for you too. Losing in a battle doesn't mean a bad thing. Think about your weaknesses and learn from them, yes? Now off you go you two!"

Molly nodded and stood up once again, shifting the bag on her shoulder before looking to Kukui.

"The Professors right...I don't know what you could possibly learn from me but i'm going to learn all I can from you. So you better be careful, Kukui. I'm a pretty fast learner." She giggled, looking around then. "We should go to the pokemon center and heal up, right?"

"Thank you professor! I promise to take really good care of Popplio!" said Kukui in a grateful tone. Than Kukui listened to what Molly had to say and said, "Of course! I can't wait till' our next battle! Woo! Now let's go to the Pokemon Center! Yeah!" As they arrived at the Pokemon Center, Molly and Kukui were greeted by Nurse Joy and her Pokemon, Comfey and Chansey. "Welcome to Hau'Oli City's Pokemon Center. How may I help you two today?" asked Nurse Joy. "We would like to heal our Pokemon, please." replied Kukui. As their Pokemon were getting healed Kukui decided to start up a little conversation with Molly. "So, Molly, do you have any plans on which Pokemon you want to catch next?"

Molly waved the Alolan greeting as they spoke to Nurse Joy, allowing Kukui to talk while Pippin was being healed. However as soon as their pokemon were returned, she let him out of the pokeball and onto her shoulder.

"I'll work harder...I promise." She whispered to him, the bird nuzzling into her affectionately.

At Kukuis question, she hummed softly and moved to sit at the cafe area of the Pokemon Center, wanting to get a good tea down her before they went on their way. It was an interesting question for sure but not one she had the answer to.

"I don't know...I suppose you have a team in mind already?" She asked, sighing gently and hanging her head. "There's so much to being a Pokemon trainer, isn't there? So much to remember and having to think on the spot...i'm so used to taking it easy, you know?"

"Of course I have already come up with a team, going on a Pokemon journey lets you think outside of the box. And of course there's so much to being a Pokemon trainer, you have to think about the well being of your Pokemon, and how to use their moveset. There's a reason why I like Pokemon battles and moves, it's because they express the true power and bond between you and your Pokemon. The Island Challenge is a great way to test what you and your Pokemon are capable of, so let's show the Island Challenge what we're made of! Ok, Molly!" said Kukui.

"Hmm..." She hummed softly as he made his speech, a soft frown coming onto her face as she picked up her tea. "You say that, Kukui. But is battling all there is to a journey? Should they really be what determines a good trainer from a bad trainer? There is still so much we don't know about Pokemon or even the Alola Region...but I think it's not just the experiences in battle that make us strong but our experiences in life..."

She took a sip of her tea, beginning to think that Kukui focused too much on battles. But then she perhaps didn't focus on it enough.

"All that matters to me is that my pokemon are happy and well cared for. I can't plan for the journey like you can because I don't know what will happen. It's all such a mystery." She laughed softly, reaching to pat his hand gently. "You need to learn to relax, Kukui!"

"Yeah, you're right, I should learn to relax more. I know that battles aren't all their is to make us stronger, but I just think that battles help us bond with our Pokemon, even if just a little bit." replied Kukui. "Mr. Kukui and Ms. Reed, your Pokemon are all healed up!" exclaimed Nurse Joy. "Thanks Nurse Joy!" said Kukui. As Kukui grabbed his Pokemon from Nurse Joy, Kukui let out his Litten and Popplio from their poke-balls. "You know what guys, I'm going to do what Molly did, and let you guys travel with me outside of your poke-balls." said Kukui to his Pokemon. Kukui gave each of his Pokemon a Poke-bean. "Hey Molly, since we're already here in Hau'Oli City, what do you want to do before we do our first trial?"

Molly continued to pet Pippins head as Kukui spoke, nodding gently in agreement to what he said though couldn't help but feel that she was going to struggle with this island challenge. Finishing her tea, she began to organise her bag to make sure she had enough items should she run into trouble.

"I think Rowlet and I are going to train some against wild pokemon. It'll be interesting to see what kind of pokemon are in the area." Though she was nervous as to trying to catch her first pokemon.

She may have not been the most confident trainer out there or even the most knowledgable but even she knew that she'd have to catch more pokemon eventually.

"Hey! Why don't we have a competition? We go out for an hour then meet up to compare pokemon?" She suggested, standing up from her seat and looking down to him.

"That sounds like a great idea! Yeah!" exclaimed Kukui. "Well, what are we waiting for? Lets go! Woo!" Kukui than ran out of the Pokemon Center. His first destination was Route 1. He was looking very hard and the first Pokemon he saw a Yungoos. "Yeah! Come on out Popplio use Water Gun!" The hit was perfect damaging the Yungoos. Kukui than threw a Poke-ball and it caught the Yungoos. "Yeah! I caught my first Pokemon!" exclaimed Kukui.

Molly couldn't help but laugh out loud at how Kukui eagerly ran out of the Pokemon Center, a hand going over her mouth as she laughed. She of course took her time, going to the poke mart and purchasing some potions and a couple of extra pokeballs just in case.

"Are you ready?" She asked Rowlet who chirped reassuringly.

Taking a deep breath, she ventured out the pokemon center and towards route 1. She couldn't see Kukui just now, the two having parted ways, but she could see Pokemon Trainers just waiting for a battle.

"Hey. Reed." A voice spoke out, the young blonde turning to look in the direction of Guzma who now walked over to her. "You're still waitring around here?"

"Guzma? Oh um...I just started. I'm just about to catch some pokemon, do you want to join me?" She asked with a sweet smile though it faltered a little as Guzma tsk'd.

"Yo, these pokemon here are weak! Your boy Guzma here is already stronger than any trainer here. Hey, you come with me - i'll show you a sweet spot to catch Pokemon."

Pippin cooed uneasily as Guzma led her away from Route 1, turning its head to look directly behind him with his 180 degree head turn. He led her over the bridge and through Melemele Meadow up until they came to a hole in the side of the wall.

"We're gonna crawl through here! Trust Guzma, this is where the real tough pokemon are at!" He repeated, waiting for Molly to crawl through before he crawled through himself.

"What pokemon are here?" She asked quietly, shivering as she entered Seaward Cave.

"Ehehe...Haha! How about I show you? Battle me!" He demanded, opening his pokeball and tossing it into the air to reveal a zubat. "If you lose, you give me all your money and that Rowlet!"

Some time had passed and the sun was starting to set in the sky, the hour having passed but Molly still hadn't returned to the Pokemon Center which started to get busy as the talk of potential rain began to spread around town.

Kukui caught so many more Pokemon. He than returned to the Pokemon Center to meet up with Molly. He waited for a long time, so he decided to go looking for her. He than arrived at Melemele Meadow and he saw a hole, he went inside it. He saw Guzma threatening Molly. "What the heck do you think you're doing Guzma! If you want to battle someone go ahead and battle me!" exclaimed Kukui.

Molly blinked in both surprise and anger, shaking her head defiantly.

"No! That isn't what Pokemon battles are for Guzma! I refuse!"

"You either battle me or I beat you down the old fashioned way, Reed." He snickered, folding his arms across his chest, looking quite pleased with himself...until Kukuis voice was heard, scowling to him then. "Stay out of this, Kukui. Yo this is Reeds, battle, not yours!"

"But I don't want to battle, i'm not putting my pokemon up as a wager!"

"You scared, Reed? You should be - go! Use Bite!!" He ordered, the zubat charging forward despite how Rowlet was not in battle - still on her shoulder.

Molly put her arms up to block the attack but the force made her stumble backward, the wet rock around them causing her to slip. Rowlet tried to hold onto her with its small talons but was too weak to do so, Molly sliding down the steep slope and into the water with a splash. The zubat turned in the air and began to charge at the distracted Rowlet once again, grabbing hold of it to take back to its trainer.

"Ha! You see? I beat them down, yo, my pokemon are the toughest!" He gloated to Kukui.

"You're not tough at all Guzma! All you use is cheap tactics!" exclaimed Kukui. Kukui ran over to Molly, so that he could pull her out of the water. He used one of his Potions on Pippin. "If you want to see how tough your Pokemon really is, why not try to battle me!" exclaimed Kukui.

Molly struggled n the freezing cold water, getting to the edge and managing to grip onto the side though she was soaked to the bone. Rowlet meanwhlie continued to squeak in the zubats grip, which fluttered just out of Kukuis reach. That was until it angrily pecked the Zubat causing it to let go.

Guzma set his hands on his hips and snickered to Kukui.

"Yeah? Well look whose on top, yo? I won fair and square so gimme your money Reed!" He demanded, making his way over to the water to snatch her bag again. "And i'm taking you on next! Too long you been beating down on me, yo! Time to return the favour!"

"Fine! Come on out Litten!" exclaimed Kukui. His Litten and him both had the same angered expression. "Litten use Ember on that Zubat and don't hold anything back!" ordered Kukui. The Ember turned so huge that it could've been compared to a Flamethrower. The Ember hit the Zubat with direct contact. The Zubat had barely enough health to stand up against Litten. "Guzma, I don't want to have this unnecessary battle, give Molly back her satchel and leave." ordered Kukui to Guzma in a serious tone.

Molly pulled herself up onto the land, shivering from the cold as she watched the two fight while trying to hold back tears as best as she could at how humiliated she was. Rowlet hopped over though and gave a gentle nudge to her hand coo'ing softly as if asking if she was okay. Guzma however scowled, rubbing under his nose with a finger.

"We're not beaten down yet, yo! Watch these moves! Use Supersonic!" He ordered, the zubat screeching loudly to confuse the litten

"Litten use Growl on the Supersonic!" ordered Kukui. Litten's Growl caused Guzma's Supersonic to combust. "Why don't you just give up Guzma, you have no chance against me. Just return Molly her satchel and we can all forget this happened." said Kukui. "And if you don't give up, I guess we'll both just keep on fighting until I force you to give up."