• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The American Anime Awards

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Kudos to PPN for pointing this out. People like Alex Bock may already know about this, but I am slow...

And I quote from their front page:
Welcome to the official website of the American Anime Awards! The American Anime Awards celebrate Japanese animation (anime), which has grown into a global entertainment phenomenon.

The Awards showcase the very best anime to make its way to North America. The winners are chosen by anime fans themselves.

The first annual American Anime Awards gala will be hosted in New York City on February 24th by New York Comic Con. Please join us in celebrating anime and honoring the creations that bring us so much pleasure!

This will really only be of interest to avid Anime fans, but the 8th Pokemon movie is in the runnings for the 9th category (best feature film). I'm glad to see that some of the nominees are from older series', too.

... Someone please tell me why FF VII: Advent Children is considered an Anime...? ... No. Never mind -.-

FLCL ftw!

Kudos to PPN for pointing this out. People like Alex Bock may already know about this, but I am slow...

And I quote from their front page:
This will really only be of interest to avid Anime fans, but the 8th Pokemon movie is in the runnings for the 9th category (best feature film). I'm glad to see that some of the nominees are from older series', too.

... Someone please tell me why FF VII: Advent Children is considered an Anime...? ... No. Never mind -.-

FLCL ftw!

Actually I haven't heard about this ^_^" Thanks for posing this Linky! ^_^ The voting was hard >> alot of them are good so picking one was like back stabbing another but, what I went for was what anime GOT me into anime and which ones I knew a lot about and which ones had the intriguing characters storylines e.t.c The voice actor one was easier, as of I know a lot a voice actors :p I was actually surprised at the list of anime given 0.0 I know they can't put a lot on but, it seemed (well to me at least) that a lot of really good anime's were missing :-\ It looks like they just chose recent ones and a few classics for thier list (then again if this did just start, then it's understandable they used more well known titles). *See's how it says "you can watch the awards on the anime network!"* lucky americans T_T (well for the ones that actually get the channel as of I'm pretty sure it's not broadcasted in every state)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Yesh, I very much agree about the Anime/Manga lists lacking. Neither of my favorites for either category were down as nominees, although I'd anticipated something like that happening when going into it (I figured the choices would be mainly current series', and most of my faves are not).

At least I was usually able to find something to choose that wasn't just for the sake of choosing something (tho that's actually what a few of the categories ended up being for me).

Quote from AnimeNewsNetwork

Two Titles Added to Ameircan Anime Awards Manga Ballot
We received a statement from the American Anime Awards today, "Two very important and deserving nominees, Tsubasa and Negima, have been added to the manga titles on the ballot for the American Anime Awards. The nominations were submitted prior to when the ballot went live but were inadvertently left off, an error which we deeply regret." People who have previously voted can change their vote here.

So yah, If people want to redo their vote they should go to the official site or, go to www.animenewsnetwork.com, find the news topic of this on the main page and, click the here in blue.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

NOW THEY ADD THEM :p

*Coughs* Yesh, Negima! was the manga I was initially scanning for when I hit that category, simply because it's one of the ones I'm following at the moment and it's actually getting quite good ^^

I just hope that this new Negima manga Akamatsu is working on doesn't conflict with the original Negima! plot or spell any sort of doom for it =/

Well, today they revealed the top five finalists for each category. They are as followed......

Best Actor
Johnny Yong Bosch (Akira, Bleach, Eureka 7)
Crispin Freeman (Hellsing Ultimate, Noein, Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Richard Hayworth (Rurouni Kenshin)
Yuri Lowenthal (Naruto)
Vic Mignogna (Fullmetal Alchemist, Macross)

Best Actress
Luci Christian (Princess Tutu)
Susan Dalian (Naruto)
Mary Elizabeth (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG)
Maile Flanagan (Naruto)
Michelle Ruff (Bleach, Lupin the 3rd)

Best Actor in a Comedy
Greg Ayres (Negima, Nerima Daikon Brothers)
Johnny Yong Bosch (Akira)
Liam O'Brien (Comic Party, DNA Squared, Girls Bravo)
Tony Oliver (Lupin III)
Dave Wittenberg (Zatch Bell)

Best Actress in a Comedy
Laura Bailey (Kodocha)
Luci Christian (Desert Punk, Negima, Nerima Daikon Brothers)
Debi Derryberry (Zatch Bell)
Hillary Haag (Paniponi Dash)
Michelle Ruff (Lupin the 3rd)

Best Cast
FLCL
Fullmetal Alchemist
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG
Inuyasha
Naruto

Best DVD Package Design
Bleach Vol. 1
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
Fullmetal Alchemist
Hellsing Ultimate 1--Limited Edition Steelcase
Naruto Uncut Box Set Vol. 1

Best Anime Theme Song
Asterisk (Bleach)
Heart of Sword--Yoake Mae (Rurouni Kenshin)
Rewrite (Fullmetal Alchemist)
Ride on Shooting Star (FLCL)
Rise (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig)

Best Comedy Anime
Ah! My Goddess TV
FLCL
Kodocha
Ranma 1/2
Tenchi Muyo OVA

Best Anime Feature
Akira
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
Fullmetal Alchemist--The Movie
Inuyasha Movie 4: Fire on Mystic Island
Pokemon Movie 8: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew

Best Short Series
Elfen Lied
FLCL
Gravitation TV
Hellsing Ultimate
Ranma 1/2 OAV

Best Long Series
Fullmetal Alchemist
Inuyasha
Naruto
Rurouni Kenshin
Samurai Champloo

Best Manga
Bleach
Death Note
Fruits Basket
Naruto
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Angelic Days

Well, Pokemon made it up there, which I found awesome. As for everything else, I'm not too surprised *just wishes Colleen Clinkerbeard got on the voice actress list :'(*

Last Saturday was the awards, so here are the winners as followed.....

Best Cast: Fullmetal Alchemist
Best Manga: Fruits Basket
Best Male Actor in a Comedy: Dave Wittenberg (Zatch Bell)
Best Actress in a Comedy: Debi Derriberry (Zatch Bell)
Best Theme Song: Rewrite (Fullmetal Alchemist)
Best Anime Feature: Final Fantasy 7 - Advent Children
Best Package Design: Fullmetal Alchemist
Best Anime Comedy: FLCL
Best Actress: Mary Elizabeth (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG)
Best Anime Short Series: FLCL
Best Anime Long Series: Fullmetal Alchemist

Fullmetal Alchemist brought in a lot of wins, with Zatchbell and FLCL tied in second.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Guess I'm just glad FLCL won what it did. I'd be happier for FMA, but I haven't really seen enough of it to judge its full worth ^^;

I don't know any Anime besides Pokemon and Naruto(, which I don't watch), but I'm SOOO glad that Lucario and the Mystery of Mew won an award!! :o ;D I actually voted for it on the submission form thing! :p It was the only thing that I knew what I was voting for. After that one, I just bulldozed(, or however you spell it,) through the rest of the voting questions so I could submit my vote for Pokemon movie 8...I STILL need to see that movie! It's been on my Blockbuster Total Access list thing as #1 on the list! It still hasn't come... >:( I bet it's a great movie...