• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The "4th Gen" of Pokemon

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Now that we've seen actual pics of D/P it feels more like a reality. But then there's the age old question! (It's 'age old' I tells ya! :p)

When does Gen 4 start? Was it way back with the release of Dash and its inclusion of Munchlax, maybe at a point inbetween (Mystery Dungeon or Ranger), or simply with the release of Diamond and Pearl?

I'm taking it as D/P being the beginning of gen 4. Everything else thus far has felt more like leading up to it, not the actual leap. The lines were a bit blurred this time 'round, but its still D/P that'll break the mould with the huge influx of new Pokemon, the new region (which is destined to be the next major region featured in the anime), etc.

Thoughts?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Was second season Indigo Gen 2 because it had Togepi?

Were the Orange Islands Gen 2 because of Marill?

While there is a plausable argument for Generation 4 not necessarily starting with D/P - it's D/P that will be the first game for 99% of the 4th Genners and is THEIR showpiece. If anything we could be looking at a possible 3.5 for the games in between Emerald and D/P but the 4th Generation, as far as I'm concerned - and therefore as far as Pokecharms is officially concerned - starts on the day Diamond and Pearl hit the shelves of Japan.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I agree on this matter - Diamond and Pearl ARE generation four. The Mysterious Dungeon games, Ranger and all that cal have been a project officially designated as 'The Path to Diamond and Pearl' - Leading up to Gen4.