• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The 4 new Pokemon (Spoilerz)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
If you didn't already know, and that in itself should be punishable with death, 4 new Pokemon have been revealed after radio silence on D/P and it's inhabitants for a WHOLE YEAR as of next month.

All that we know of them is currently available at the Cryptimon page: http://www.pokecharms.com/games/DS/dp/cryptimon.php

So, what does everyone think of them?

Personally, I think Manaphy is farking cute. Not enough cute water types - especially after Kyogre being cool but also rather fugly when looked at head-on - it'll be great to have it as a legendary.

The first shadow is quite obviously a Mantine Pre-evo, which is fine enough with me, i'd rather a brand new Pokemon but Mantine certainly could benefit from a pre-evo - especially since it's dreadfully overlooked along with half of the other Johto Pokemon (which is probably why half of the line-additions so far have been Johtos) and it couldn't exactly hurt it's move pool.

The middle one just baffles me. Its odd shadow means that it's impossible to say what this'll look like until next month. I mean, Manyula looked like a weird space-alien thing in its shadow but look at it's kick-assness now. Hades knows what the hell it is but an evolution wouldn't surprise me.

The final one is, for some reason, being associated to Farfetch'd and Murkrow by a lot of people. Personally I think it's more likely to be a brand new Pokemon all together, which could be interesting with it's musical note design. Now the question is whether it'll be an early bird or, because of its seemingly more extravagant design, something more like Farfetch'd and Murkrow on the bird Pokemon scale.

I'm thinking the pre-Mantine is the only new Pokémon linked to any other: the other two don't bear much ressemblance to other existing Pokémon. Then again, if Octillery were added to Remoraid a generation later, I doubt anyone would ever have guessed it...

I hope we get some more NEW Pokémon soon. Pre-evos and evos are great, but 5 of the 9 Gen 4 Cryptimon are add-ons to previous Pokémon. I'd like to see some evos of Gen 3 Pokémon, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nemesis

Former Administrator
The middle one reminds me of Slowbro/Slowking for some reason, mihgt be the shell like shape on it's head, not to mention that Slowbro is formed when a Shellder bites its tail, maybe it bit it in half?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
We've got it confirmed that the Prince of the Sea is romanised as Manaphy thanks to the Japanese Trademark Database and Zhen Lin. I'd reccomend sticking to it and preferably point it out to people that insist on using Manafi, lest end up with yet another Lucario/Rukario thing.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
What the fuck were Game Freak smoking? O__________o

Just what we needed. Another Jirachiesque blob. x_X

'Tamanta' probably derives from 'Tama' meaning 'ball', or 'egg', and 'Manta'... And is definitely a Mantine Pre-evo, as you said. The pokemon with the 'tail split in two'... It makes me think of an otter. The bird looks freaky - like a Hawk, or a parrot... I can see the musical note design that it seems to be carrying - Itr looks like a rather curious creature. I'm dying to see what it looks like.

Mantine could use an EVOLUTION. Another senseless pre-evo is just... pointless. X_x

That's what I would've thought about Wynaut...and look at the unbeatable moveset it opens up for Wobbuffet.

As for Perappu or Buizeru (or whatever the bird's name is), I couldn't help but notice its similarities to Delibird. Besides both being birds, they both also have very feathery necks and oddly-shaped body parts (this one's music-note head, Delibird's sack tail). My bets still lie in it being a brand-new Pokémon, though.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I for one hope that the bird isn't an early bird. It'd work fine as a later, more interesting bird but frankly, a musical note shape bird's just a bit too weird to go alongside Pidgeot, Noctowl and Swellow.

Especially considering that would mean Ash would inevitably end up with one.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
I myself would love to see a few starter pokemon. If the... split tailed... thing is one, then kewl, I'll go with that. Looks more like a bug or normal type though. And the bird thing? Weeeeeiiiiiiiird. And due to my hate of water types, well, that's the other two down too. :p

Like I said on the front page It looks like the bird is holding a sith or a sickle. am I the only one that see's it like that? the first one looks like a prevo of Mantine and the last one does look like a ferret with rings on it like what Linkachu had said. I would probably get Manaphy because I like waters and cute legendarys ^_^

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Like I said on the front page It looks like the bird is holding a sith or a sickle. am I the only one that see's it like that?

Half of Serebii sees it like that but they're wrong. It's not holding anything, the magazine quite clearly states it's got a musical note shape to it.

*sigh* oh that's to bad I was hoping for it to be a flying/ghost or at least my friend was. I guess it still could be a flying/ghost because the music note remains me of the move perish song, that is if it has any relation to music.

With new 4 pokemon dicovered they might be creating a new Dex (Probally another 130 pokemon for me to remeber.... ::)) Maybe pokemon should slow down with creating new pokemon Dex....All I want is a new game play in pokemon games....Becuase all they do is attack....and no control what so ever.....But I'm glad the pokemon looks really cute ^.^ its stupid how their is a new baby pokemon though....

Nemesis

Former Administrator
So you want a new Pokemon game with no new Pokemon? Because that is the only way you are going to get a new game without a new Pokedex.

Oh, and please stop being an idiot before I ban you out of frustration or something.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
What the fuck were Game Freak smoking? O__________o

Just what we needed. Another Jirachiesque blob. x_X

I have to agree to an extent. While Manaphy is cute, in that chibi-styled way, I would've much rathered if it actually resembled an animal like Mew and wasn't just some random creation like Jirachi. Correct me if I'm wrong, tho. Manaphy's design could very well be based on an actual Japanese mythology critter.

I gotta agree with Oakster on the reasoning for why that Mantine-ish shadow would be a pre-evo verses an evo. Unless the actual picture reveals body parts the shadow is concealing it seems too basic to be an evolution (almost like a Mantine version of wailmer if you ask me). Either way, I don't really care. I'd rather not have more pre-evos but if this actually makes Mantine more useable, what the hell, eh? Besides, by the sounds of it you should be prepared for at least a few more pre-evos to pop up.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
some random creation like Jirachi. Correct me if I'm wrong, tho. Manaphy's design could very well be based on an actual Japanese mythology critter, though somehow I doubt it ;p

You mean the way Jirachi was based on an actual Japanese myth? :p

I don't think Manaphy's based off anything though really. Just seems to be aiming at the Cute Sea Fairy thing. Which seems fair enough to me, it pulls it off.

Really, with Lucario as its competition, the only way to go was cute.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Jirachi may be based on a myth, but is its design? ;)

Manaphy may be cute, but I still find Mew much cuter and a more solid creation :p

Edit: Okay... So the cuteness factor is about equal for both, but I stand by my previous comments. We have enough random fairy things already (Celebi and Jirachi included). We really didn't need another.

So you want a new Pokemon game with no new Pokemon? Because that is the only way you are going to get a new game without a new Pokedex.

Oh, and please stop being an idiot before I ban you out of frustration or something.

.....I just don't like that their are newer pokemon also when they created the FireRed version and LefGreen version they created it from the orignail version with 150 pokemon untill you unlocked the other islands in the game...you have no right to ban me for my opion....I don't like that I have to memerize name because if some one is talking about it and I don't notice the name they act like I don't know anything about pokemon.....I just don't like new pokemon eccept for manula and munchlax they are okay....

I've been giving some thought to the two mystery names, and think it's very possible that they could correspond with the two mystery silhouettes.

Buizeru is very easily Romanized as "Bweasel," making it the Furret-lookalike. Furthermore, there is little to no distinction between B and V in Japanese, so Vweasel (or Veasel, to make it roll off the tongue a little better) is just as likely, pointing towards the obvious V-shaped tail. In my mind, there is no likelier possibility, but of course, it remains to be seen whether or not the name and Pokémon are related at all.

In the more abstract case of Perappu, there are a couple possibilities if it relates to the music-note bird. Besides its startling similarity to "Pelipper" (I'd never suggest they have anything to do with each other), the "Pera-" could hold multiple meanings. It may stem (no pun intended) from "opera" or even "a capella," both obviously musical terms.

Just my musings.

Nemesis

Former Administrator
.....I just don't like that their are newer pokemon also when they created the FireRed version and LefGreen version they created it from the orignail version with 150 pokemon untill you unlocked the other islands in the game...you have no right to ban me for my opion....I don't like that I have to memerize name because if some one is talking about it and I don't notice the name they act like I don't know anything about pokemon.....I just don't like new pokemon eccept for manula and munchlax they are okay....

I can ban you for being an idiot though, speaking of stupidity, reporting a post which was made by a moderator? ::)

I can ban you for being an idiot though, speaking of stupidity, reporting a post which was made by a moderator? ::)

All I said was my opion and you don't have the right if you read the rules...you know you can't ban me for something like that only for 3 warnings....spamming all over the board...and for being a n00b...and I had the right to report you...you threatened to ban me from the forum....

I think that the little blue legendary pokemon might be some type of baby pokemon but I'm not sure they have alot of baby pokemon now its hard to tell but it may just be a normal one because I don't think they can be a baby legendary....

Nemesis

Former Administrator
Ever think a threat might be a way to make you improve. If you want to continue this, PM me or something. No more of it in here.

you can't ban me for something like that only for 3 warnings....spamming all over the board...and for being a n00b

Tip #1: Don't tell a moderator what they can or can't do.
Tip #2: Spamming and being a n00b are exactly the kinds of things that WILL get you banned...if you make no effort to correct yourself, especially after multiple warnings.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I hope we get some more NEW Pokémon soon. Pre-evos and evos are great, but 5 of the 9 Gen 4 Cryptimon are add-ons to previous Pokémon. I'd like to see some evos of Gen 3 Pokémon, though.

I think it's deliberate. They'll want to save the best 'till last. If they show us the most amazing new Pokemon right now, by the time the game comes out we'll be disappointed. Trickling them out a few at a time lets us revisit the old Pokemon the new ones are pre-evos of and start talking about how the pre-evolution stage might change their movesets. Yay :D.

[quote author=StellarWind link=topic=870.msg5371#msg5371 date=1139937718]
Mantine could use an EVOLUTION. Another senseless pre-evo is just... pointless. X_x
[/quote]

Here's a question. How much have Pokemon's base stats changed between the generations? I've only played 3rd gen, so I don't know about the earlier games. Is there a possibility that adding a pre-evo would change the base stats of the newly-promoted stage?

In 3rd gen, single-stage Pokemon really do suffer, stats-wise. This is what stops me using otherwise-cool Pokemon like Roselia - and Mantine. I have a level 55 Mantine that I got from Colosseum, but in terms of stats, it acts more like a level 40 pkmn.

[quote author=QuagsireQing link=topic=870.msg5422#msg5422 date=1140393096]
In the more abstract case of Perappu, there are a couple possibilities if it relates to the music-note bird. Besides its startling similarity to "Pelipper" (I'd never suggest they have anything to do with each other), the "Pera-" could hold multiple meanings. It may stem (no pun intended) from "opera" or even "a capella," both obviously musical terms.
[/quote]

Perappu sounds like Parappa to me, as in Parappa the Rapper, rhythm action game by ... uh.... Nana-On Sha (I think). I'm probably talking out of my arse, tho' :).

Is there a site that has a list of English & Japanese pkmn names, preferably with the names in katakana and romanji? It's one of the things I would have got from Pokemon Forever, if I'd known he was going to take the site down. Bah!

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Better pictures available at http://www.pokecharms.com/games/DS/dp/cryptimon.php as well as all the current information of course.

I'm gonna replace the pic you uploaded simply 'cause they look fugly and stretched-out in it.

Opinions?

Personally I'm quite satisified. Two brand new Pokemon at last that aren't legendary or related to anything else and Perappu looks all kinda cool. Buizeru or Veazel (It's trademarked as Buizeru but Veazel does sound more like it. If you want Veazel to be what we officially use let me know here) is.... well, it certainly doesn't look that bad. It seems to be a part-water type too with those fins on its arms and the way it's set up (With a split tail and what seems to be the beginining of the same thing on its head - not to mention the simplistic nature of its body) makes me think that it's going to evolve.

That ring around it's neck sort of reminds me of a life-ring thing - which I suppose is probably the point.

Tamanta... Well it looks like a Mantine pre-evo should look like really. I just hope that it actually does the job of powering Mantine up. In any case at least it'll bring Mantine back to the fore after being ignored much lots thanks to both G/S having a lot of overlooked Pokes and to most of them being ditched in R/S.

tamanta.jpg

buizeru.jpg

perappu.jpg

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm a happy, happy Linkachu with all three of these guys. Seeing them has made my day ^^

Like you said (and I wrote in the news comments), Tamanta is everything I expected it to be. From its original shadow, what more could you really have asked for? It was obviously going to be a very plain Pokemon. I'm interested to see what it'll add to Mantine, too.

Then there's Buizeru... Maybe it's my liking of rodent/ferret/weasel-ish animals, but I really like that guy. It's the third new Pokemon - aside from Lucario and, o'course, Munchlax ^^ - that I can definitely see myself training. Here's hoping that it ends up having good stats, and an evolution wouldn't hurt. And yeah, by the looks of those arm fins, that head design, and the split-tail (water propellers anyone?), it's a Water-type.

Last but not least, Perappu is a great design. I was wondering what sorts of birds they could come up with this gen, and a parrot was a great idea. Not sure if it's one I'm really jumping to train, but glad to see more cool-looking Pokemon popping up for this gen.

Now, time to watch the new AG intro to brighten my day even further ;D

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Perappu reminds of Xatu/Natu... Maybe it's the colour scheme. :p Anyway, Tamanta is scary and cute at the same time, and Buizeru... is Buizeru. Looks like a normal/water type, anyway. Meh!

Disappointed with Tamanta, but Veazel and Perappu (most likely to end up being Parrap or some such) are very decent. I took the liberty of trying out what I thought they might look like, and I've gotta say, these guys are much better-looking. Can't wait to train a Perappu.

Veazel is looking a lot like an otter, isn't it? Fins, lifesaver, etc...

The twin tailed otter thing looks like it would be a normal/water type....and it uses its tails to pepler its self through the water....I'm just guessing but that would be cool if that were to happen....

The new pokemon look cute and yet very strong but the thing that makes me mad it the bird with a note shape on it head doesn't learn sing or anything that involes musical notes such as sing or graas whistle....even though it can't learn grass whistle anyway...

Nemesis

Former Administrator
And how do you know it doesn't? Time Machine? I've really got to get me one of those.

Anyways, welcome to the realm of the N00bs who went to far. Enjoy your stay!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
A scan from the latest CoroCoro showed off the latest newbie trio with new pics (the Manaphy pic on it looks the same as a previous one). Anyways, I figured since all three of them are in different poses verses the ones on the Cryptimon page it's worth sharing 'em.

Buizeru looks goofy IMO ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]