• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Tell me about WiFi battling!

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
OK, I've never done a WiFi battle - or indeed, any kind of battle involving other human players. But I currently have 5 Level 49 Pokemon & am training a 6th, meaning I could conceivably do some Level 50-cap battles with forum friends. However, I have no idea what to expect, having never battled real people before.

Tell me...
1) Do you find out what your opponent's team is before battling?

2) Is there any way to set a level cap? What happens if you want to use Level 50 pkmn and your friend only has Level 70?

3) Do you get told "Opponent is sending in a ROSELIA, do you want to switch Pokemon?" ever / only if you initiate battle / only if you KO your opponent's previous pkmn...?

4) Can you use items from your bag during the battle?

5) Do held berries etc get used up by the battle? (Maybe a stupid question, but they don't in Colosseum/XD's Mt Battle thingy.)

6) If your friend switches their microphone off, does yours get switched off too? I think it'd be freaky to be talking to someone who wasn't talking back :p.

Is there anything else I need to know in order to not seem like a total n00b?

[glow=red,2,300]Tell me...
1) Do you find out what your opponent's team is before battling?[/glow]

No, not unless you have traded with them just before.

[glow=red,2,300]2) Is there any way to set a level cap? What happens if you want to use Level 50 pkmn and your friend only has Level 70?[/glow]

You can have 50 cap, 100 cap, or No rules. so either way, it will automaticly adjust your pokemons stats.

[glow=red,2,300]3) Do you get told "Opponent is sending in a ROSELIA, do you want to switch Pokemon?" ever / only if you initiate battle / only if you KO your opponent's previous pkmn...?[/glow]

you can swich only if -you- get KO'd, or during your turn.

[glow=red,2,300]4) Can you use items from your bag during the battle?[/glow]

no

[glow=red,2,300]5) Do held berries etc get used up by the battle? (Maybe a stupid question, but they don't in Colosseum/XD's Mt Battle thingy.)[/glow]

Yes, they get used.

[glow=red,2,300]6) If your friend switches their microphone off, does yours get switched off too? I think it'd be freaky to be talking to someone who wasn't talking back .[/glow]

Im not sure, but I think it turns both mic's off.

[glow=red,2,300]Is there anything else I need to know in order to not seem like a total n00b?[/glow]

Try to plan your team/Item selections carefully, there are many strategies out there, Some simple, (Like mine :p ) and some are more complex, so just watch out for Pokemon you arent used to seeing.

1) Do you find out what your opponent's team is before battling?
figs already answered
2) Is there any way to set a level cap? What happens if you want to use Level 50 pkmn and your friend only has Level 70?
well, im not sure about lv50 battle, but if you choose lv100, all of your pokemon will be lv100, even if they normally are newborns (why i dont level up my gallade)
3) Do you get told "Opponent is sending in a ROSELIA, do you want to switch Pokemon?" ever / only if you initiate battle / only if you KO your opponent's previous pkmn...?
no, you do not know what they are sending out until it says '_____ go!' or whatever
4) Can you use items from your bag during the battle?
figs already answered
5) Do held berries etc get used up by the battle? (Maybe a stupid question, but they don't in Colosseum/XD's Mt Battle thingy.)
if by 'used up' you mean they wont be there after the battle, i dont think they do, though you have to recycle them if you want to use them more than once in a single battle
6) If your friend switches their microphone off, does yours get switched off too? I think it'd be freaky to be talking to someone who wasn't talking back :p.
you'll know if its turned off, because it'll be shown in the union room (waiting room) before you accept the battle
Is there anything else I need to know in order to not seem like a total n00b?
im not sure, just try to anticipate your opponents moves and switch if nessesary...oh, and whenever you go into battle/trade, dont be afraid to say hi, and not wait for them to, how would you say it??? break the ice?

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
[glow=red,2,300]2) Is there any way to set a level cap? What happens if you want to use Level 50 pkmn and your friend only has Level 70?[/glow]

You can have 50 cap, 100 cap, or No rules. so either way, it will automaticly adjust your pokemons stats.
Awesome! So I don't have to worry about levelling my Pokemon up past Level 50 ;D.

[quote author=King of Rhinos link=topic=2820.msg35855#msg35855 date=1188945980]
if by 'used up' you mean they wont be there after the battle, i dont think they do, though you have to recycle them if you want to use them more than once in a single battle
[/quote]
Ahh. If you're not allowed to use items from the bag, that explains why Recycle would actually be a useful move.

It seems like the battling is similar to the Colosseums in Colosseum or XD (I don't know about Battle Revolution as it's not out here yet), although I can't remember whether those games let you change Pokemon when you KO one of theirs. Useful, thanks.

Well, they answered my technical questions, but if anyone wants to answer the anything else I need to know in order to not seem like a total n00b question, go for it! :D

Awesome! So I don't have to worry about levelling my Pokemon up past Level 50 ;D.
Ahh. If you're not allowed to use items from the bag, that explains why Recycle would actually be a useful move.

Actually, those settings aren't level caps. They set your Pokemon to that level, complete with leveled-up stats (no EVs, though). For instance, if you have two Pokemon, one that's level 10 and the other level 100, they'll both be level 50 if you set that rule.

A level cap is the maximum level a Pokemon can be at, so a level 50 cap would allow Pokemon from 1 to 50.

As for expendable held items like Berries, they come back after the battle. So if your Chansey Flings an Iron Ball, you'll get it back afterwards. Not during the battle, of course, unless you have Recycle.