• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Team Help Please & Thanks

Instead of making multiple topics over time I'll just update this with whatever Pokemon I need help with at the time.

For now I need help with Josephine and Hannah.

-Jynx-
Mild
Oblivious

Blizzard
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Perish Song
--
I've been trying to use Josie as my opener but I always seem to run in to type disadvantages and/or faster Pokemon. Is this a good idea or does she work better as a switch-in after someone else goes down?
I've been debating Ice Beam over Blizzard for a while now, but I'm not sure it's worth the drop in power. And I like to use Perish Song as an Explosion tactic when things get dicey. Do you think that Lovely Kiss would be a better choice? I've got a Tangrowth that knows Sleep Powder and my Darkrai is just itching to get into battling.

-Breloom-
Serious
Poison Heal

Seed Bomb
Leech Seed
Dynamic Punch
Headbutt
--
Headbutt needs replacing, Dynamic Punch is all too unreliable and Leech Seed is just there. I'd like to teach it Drain Punch, but is Sky Uppercut a better choice? And what can you guys suggest over Leech Seed and Headbutt?

In terms of held items, I don't know what'd be a good choice for Jynx but I know that I want to give Brellom a Toxic Orb to take advantage of Poison Heal. And let's not get into Jynx's Oblivious, I know it's not favorable but Forewarn isn't that great either.
-
Thank you in advance for any help you have to offer, it's much appreciated.

Get a Jynx with Lovely Kiss + Dream Eater, and get a Breloom with spore, but you will need to rebreed, it can only learn it while it is still a baby shroomish. I think if you going with Poison heal, have Toxic Orb as your item.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Jynx, nor any other Pokemon, should EVER use any kind of Sleep move + Dream Eater combo due to Sleep Clause allowing the opponent to switch out of Dream Eater with no risk. As a whole, Dream Eater is near-unusable because of this.

For Jynx to lead, you definitely need a Focus Sash to survive since Jynx is one of the most frail Pokemon in the entire game and her Speed is very mediocre. Breeding for Fake Out here is definitely recommended since Fake Out is one of the best lead moves available. Although Sleep Clause doesn't let you have more than one of your opponent's Pokemon put to sleep at any one time, putting one adversary to sleep works just fine anyway, so Lovely Kiss works just fine for that. As for potential attacks to fill up the set, I'd probably pick Ice Beam and Energy Ball due to the fact that they provide decent coverage and the fact that a fair few common leads are weak to Grass. Having more than one Sleep move can work on your team, especially since quite a few people won't expect it due to Sleep Clause, and if Jynx gets KO'd early you may be able to lull the opponent into a false sense of security.

Breloom would love Spore, but again it isn't mandatory for the thing to perform, and with Jynx on-hand as well as Tangrowth. Darkrai's banned, so you've no chance of using that thing here. Superpower is the most popular Fighting STAB Breloom has, alongside Mach Punch. Seed Bomb is very standard, and Rock Slide tends to sit at the last slot for Flying-type coverage.

Finally, your Natures are both less than optimal here (Jynx really prefers a Speed-boosting Nature for its role as a lead, and Breloom generally prefers an Attack-boosting one) Jynx would actually find good use out of Forewarn when leading since it shows you what kind of lead you're facing. So far, you may need to do a fair bit of work to get this to competitive standard.

Thank you for your input, it helps knowing these things.

Here's two more that I'd like optimized if you would be so kind.

-Leafeon-
Adamant
Leaf Guard
King's Rock (held item)

Last Resort
Synthesis
Dig
Magical Leaf
--
I know Magical Leaf is horrid but Leafeon is only Lv.55 so Leaf Blade is on the way. Can Leafeon learn Seed Bomb?

-Probopass-
Sassy
Magnet Pull
Chesto Berry

Flash Cannon
Power Gem
Rest
Thunder Wave
--
Probopass is my tank. I like Thunder Wave to slow down opponents and to prevent them from attacking. Power Gem is stronger and has more PP than Rock Slide, but would it be better to have Rock Slide for the flinch factor and that it hits two Pokemon at once?

I'd like to point out that not all of the Pokemon I post will be paired up with each other on the same team. Most notably Probopass will never be paired with a sleep inflicting team.

Again thank you for your input.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
To answer your question, yes. Leafeon can learn Seed Bomb. So until you get Leaf Blade, that's your best option to go with (it's a move tutor move, by the way). Also, you should probably drop Last Resort, seeing as you probably won't last long enough to use it in battles, so it really won't do anything too terrific for you and is just taking up a move slot. X-Scissor is a pretty good option on Leafeon, will provide you with some coverage and whatnot. You may also want to rethink Dig if this is for the metagame, seeing as it gives your opponent a free turn to set up (if it's not, then you can pull it off a bit better).

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
As for you inquiry about which to choose, Power Gem or Rock Slide, Power Gem will get more use for you seeing as Probopass has a higher Special Attack stat than Attack (although both are pretty awful).

I'd advise putting Stealth Rock on it, it's an incredible viable and helpful move, if you didn't already know. A nice alternative to Thunderwave is Toxic. Both inflict a helpful status ailment, and Toxic can be especially fun crippling opposing Walls and the like. ^^

Earth Power is a decent move to be packing, seeing as it will hit the Steel types you trap for super effective damage. Explosion is always good fun when you're about to be KOed. Take something along with ya. ;3

I'd probably advise getting rid of Rest and switching to Leftovers as the held item, as well. Hope this bit of advice can be at least somewhat helpful.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Sir Red said:
As for you inquiry about which to choose, Power Gem or Rock Slide, Power Gem will get more use for you seeing as Probopass has a higher Special Attack stat than Attack (although both are pretty awful).

This is not entirely true for one simple reason: Thunder Wave. If you do elect to use Thunder Wave on your Probopass, Rock Slide will be by far the better choice for your Rock STAB due to the flinch-hax chance you'll be able to inflict on a paralyzed opponent.