• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Team fashioned around test pokemon

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
This team isn't legal here due to Latias and contains a couple of repeat pokemon from older posts. The main targets for review are Hitmontop and Latias.. the rest are just pokemon I chose to compliment them for a well rounded team.

Hitmontop @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
Technician
-Fake Out [78]
-Mach Punch [117]
-Bullet Punch [78]
-Sucker Punch [104]
252 HP, 252 ATK, 4 DEF

Numbers in brackets denote how powerful each attack is after Technician and Life Orb. STAB as well in the case of Mach Punch.

Having four priority attacks means that speed won't be any issue for me.. I'm a slight bit lacking in power, but it works great as an anti-lead in the face of frail, fast pokemon trying to taunt or lay down Stealth Rock. Leads I can't KO that might be trying to use a status move get to face Latias.

Latias @ Flame Orb
Calm Nature
Levitate
-Psycho Shift
-Roar
-Sleep Talk
-Rest
252 HP, 252 DEF, 4 S. DEF

Flame Orb burns me and I can Psycho Shift it. Rest + Sleep Talk means I can also Psycho Shift sleep with some luck, and it circumvents sleep clause as well. Combine with roar and I can spread status across any team so long as pokemon named Gengar and Tyranitar never show their faces. Heatran and Scizor are somewhat of a problem too, but only under certain conditions. Scizor if it switches in right when I rest and Heatran only if I'm particularly low on health.

Works best with SR in play to compliment roar when I want a pokemon gone and also to deter simply switching back to a pokemon that's already afflicted with a status. Set is completely susceptible to taunt, but sacrificing any of the slots for an attack would do me little good.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
Solid Rock
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Avalanche
-Roar
252 HP, 108 DEF, 148 S. DEF

Stealth Rock removes the need of a Rock STAB, especially given that few people would dare to try and call a bluff on the lack of said STAB. Roar makes use of Rhyperior's tremendous bulk and compliments well with SR. Earthquake gives a decently powered STAB even with no EVs/Nature [140 base attack is plenty]. Avalanche is basically filler, but it works excellently on Dragonite, Salamence and Gliscor.

Blaziken @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
Blaze
-Overheat
-Superpower
-Thunderpunch
-HP Ice
148 ATK, 128 S. ATK, 232 SPD

Nothing much to say. Raw power combined with speed. Overheat and Superpower are offset by constant switching, so their negative effects never get to bite me.. unless I fail to KO with Superpower anyway. The defense drop might bite me then.

Empoleon @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
Torrent
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Grass Knot
-Agility
24 HP, 252 S. ATK, 232 SPD

Much like Blaziken covers all of the offensive holes in my team, Empoleon covers the defensive ones.. despite having an offensive set. I'm actually at a bit of shame here since this set is a direct copy/paste from smogon's listed sets, including EVs. It fit what I wanted and I liked the Life orb inching me into Torrent range. Hydro Pump with Torrent, STAB and Life Orb manages a power of 351.
Being resistant to almost every priority attack is a large plus to agility as well

Mismagius @ Petaya Berry
Timid Nature
Levitate
-Shadow Ball
-HP Fighting
-Curse
-Substitute
4 HP, 252 S. ATK, 252 SPD

Perfect coverage coupled with status blocking and a Petaya Berry. Idea is to come in on something slower that I know will try to status me and set up a substitute. Even if I'm wrong and the substitute is broken, I can just stall until Petaya activates.. but if I'm right, then I can freely use Curse without worry of a KO.
As long as there is no stealth rock in play, I can use two substitutes and one curse.

From my point of minimal health, I can sweep with a petaya boost, or opt to curse-suicide and cripple whatever I'm facing instead. Blissey is fun to Curse, for instance.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I've mentioned Wish being a possible option on Latias over Roar if you feel your team could do with some Wish support, especially since Rhyperior carries Roar already, and you probably don't need two PHazers.

Empoleon with Life Orb seems a bit...questionable, since it hurts Empoleon's otherwise impressive bulkiness, and reduces the amount of use he'd get out of Agility as well if he suffers a hit during the setup. Torrent could make up for that though potentially.

Latias getting Wish would aid Mismagius greatly, since it would let you dish out multiple Curses if you can switch Mismagius in safely - unfortunately, Latias has a resistance and an immunity respectively to two of the three types Mismagius is immune to, which could ruin the effectiveness of this a bit.

Wish Latias is the only change I can think of considering, and even with that, it's little more than an alternative option for you than a crucial change.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Roar on Latias was originally a filler with Wish, T-wave and Dragon Pulse as alternatives.. after testing with Roar, I'm fairly certain it's the best choice so long as I can set up Stealth Rock. Roar lets me shuffle through pokemon to spread status around and SR prevents people from being as willing to simply switch back to a pokemon I've already burned/put to sleep.
As an added bonus, sleep talk will cancel roar's negative priority and Latias has a respectable base 110 speed stat to put it ahead of a pretty decent number of other pokemon. Between Psycho Shifting sleep and roaring before they act, slower pokemon have only a 33% chance of getting a successful attack off when I sleep talk.

I questioned replacing the life orb for a petaya berry or leftovers myself.. but yes, torrent is why I decided to go on with Life Orb. Agility gets set up on a switch or against a resisted attack in most cases, so Empoleon doesn't usually take a lethal hit. All of this aside, the penguin hasn't been of much use to me at all really :(

Mismagius almost never gets switched out once it's in, actually. I prefer to curse suicide over switching since Mismagius tends to stay hidden until late in the match anyhow. Because Petaya is one-time use, I don't see wish helping it much... Empoleon, Rhyperior and Hitmontop on the other hand, I can see getting a lot of benefit from Wish.

Wow. It's been a long time since I've been on the forums, and this team looks really good. A lot of creativity too. I can't give too much advice to this, but I felt you'd apreciate knowing it looks really good. Curse on the Mismagius is pretty amazing, definently something to suprise people with. Lots of team synergy too with the resistances and immunities and such.
Just never let that Latias get Taunted! I'd love to play you again sometime.