• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Team Eon! (Again)

I have a few teams, but this one is the newest; and it's also posing a problem.

This team is centered around the Eeveelutions, although it's mainly based on the actual word 'Eon'. (hence Latios in there) It's more of a novelty team, but I'm trying to gear it towards competitive.

I never thought building a team with pokemon you like and also making them great battlers could be so hard.
If you guys could suggest some nice movesets and/or items worth using, I'd love to hear them.

(I also got kinda lazy when putting this team together, and hence some moves look like they've just been stuck in)

dpiconani133.gif

Eevee - Evoluteon
Item? Muscle Band
Male
Adaptability
Trump Card
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power
Toxic

My shiny eevee! The real reason I started this whole team, I had to put it in. I can't seem to create good movesets for pokemon like these.

dpiconani359.gif

Absol - Soluteon
Item? Scope Lens
Female
Super Luck
Aerial Ace
Psycho Cut
Night Slash
Stone Edge

I love Umbreon, but it's stats aren't made for attacking, so I use my other love; Absol. Made for critical hit sweeping, hence super luck and scope lens; plus all the high crit-ratio moves.

dpiconani136.gif

Flareon
Item? Heat Rock
Female
Flash Fire
Sunny Day
Overheat
Return
Roar

My weather changer. A prime example of me not finding the right moves, dunno if roar should be in there. Overheat's in there because it's just damn cool. (And worked great in PBR)

dpiconani470.gif

Leafeon
Item? Choice Band
Male
Leaf Guard
Dig
Synthesis
Leaf Blade
X-Scissor

I'm trying to take advantage of the great weather my team will have, and Leafeon's inherent physical prowess. (Thank you thesaurus ;D) I hate using the choice items though...

dpiconani471.gif

Glaceon
Item? Wise Glasses
Male
Snow Cloak
Shadow Ball
Ice Beam
Mirror Coat
Water Pulse

Ice-beam for STAB, Water Pulse for fire; Shadow Ball to build on SP.Attack and mirror coat as a counter-measure.

dpiconani380.gif

Latias - Feona
Item? Soul Dew
Female
Levitate
Recover
Psychic
Light Screen
Dragon Pulse

Latias (and Latios) is THE Eon pokemon, so it makes sense for her to be on the team. Simply due to the high stats (

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Disclaimer: I am not an expert at D/P battle strategy. Used to be ok in the 3rd Gen, but my knowledge isn't 100% up to date with 4th Gen yet.

dpiconani133.gif

Eevee - Evoluteon
My shiny eevee! The real reason I started this whole team, I had to put it in. The moveset is really weird, because I can't seem to create a good one for a pokemon like this.
Hmm. I'd been going to say "Why don't you evolve that Eevee?", but then I looked at the colours of the shiny Eevolutions - they're either hideous (green Jolteon! magenta Vaporeon! ewww!) or barely any different from the non-shiny version (Glaceon, Leafeon).

OK, so your shiny Eevee is a gimmick. Why not give him a gimmicky moveset? His Attack and Special Attack stats are both lousy due to being a first-level Pokemon, but you could EV train him some. I'd definitely want to use Trump Card, because it's an Eevee-only move - which would mean EV training him in Sp.Atk. If you're doing that, you might as well put Shadow Ball on, as it's useful for a Normal-type to be able to hit Ghosts. It would also be worth checking what his Hidden Power is.

Question: Can you use Substitute, then Baton Pass to pass it on? If so, that could be rather useful for the next Pokemon you send out.

Eevee - Evoluteon
1. Trump Card - NORMAL, Special
2. Shadow Ball - GHOST, Special
3. Hidden Power - ??, Special / Substitute
4. Toxic - POISON, Status / Baton Pass
You'd want to go with EV training in Special Attack, and some kind of item that boosts Special moves.

[quote author=Dreampirate link=topic=2835.msg36156#msg36156 date=1189618943]
dpiconani359.gif

Absol - Soluteon
Item? Scope Lens
Female
Super Luck
Aerial Ace
Psycho Cut
Night Slash
Shadow Claw

I love Umbreon, but it's stats aren't made for attacking, so I use my other love; Absol. Made for critical hit sweeping, hence super luck and scope lens; plus all the high crit-ratio moves. (Plus, I just love slashes on Absol)
[/quote]
Wow! Great moveset. The only "issue" I have is that I tend to avoid Psychic and Ghost-type attacks on the same Pokemon, because the only Pokemon that Ghost attacks are Super Effective against are Ghost-type - which are already hit by Psychic moves, and Psychic-type - which are already hit by Dark moves! So I'd consider swapping out Shadow Claw for, e.g. Stone Edge. Like all Rock-type TMs, it has crappy Accuracy, but still has that high Critical Hit ratio thing going on. Plus, it's Super Effective against Bug-type Pokemon, which are a Dark-type's weakness.

dpiconani136.gif

Flareon
My weather changer. A prime example of me getting lazy, Giga Impact really shouldn't be in there, but I'm trying to build on it's physical power. Overheat's in there because it's just damn cool.
[/quote]
I must confess, I'm not a big fan of Will-o-wisp. I don't like the fact it's only 75% accurate. And I worry about the possibility of inducing Burn on someone I hadn't realised had Guts ability, or the move Facade.

If I was using a Pokemon with Overheat, I'd give it a White Herb to hold, to restore its Special Attack stat again. Then I'd put other Special Attack moves on it. As it is, you seem to be focusing on physical moves. Natural Gift is worth investigating, though it means holding a berry. Does the Heat Rock continue the duration of Sunny Day even after Flareon's switched out?

So, hmm... how about?
1. Sunny Day
2. Overheat - FIRE, Special
3. Facade / Strength / Return - NORMAL, Physical
4. Iron Tail - STEEL, Physical / Natural Gift - ??, Physical

The advantage of Iron Tail is that it's Super Effective against Rock-types. I'd recommend it over, say, Dig because Fire-types are already susceptible to Ground-type attacks, and a Pokemon using Dig incurs double the damage from Earthquake (= instant KO).

dpiconani470.gif

Leafeon
Item? Choice Band
Male
Leaf Guard
Return
Solarbeam
Leaf Blade
X-Scissor

Yeah, I know; 2 STAB moves; but I'm trying to take advantage of the great weather my team will have, and Leafeon's inherent physical prowess. (Thank you thesaurus ;D) I hate using the choice items, and I guess that means this is the pokemon I really need to change.
[/quote]
I think Leafeon's my least favourite Eevolution. He has TOO MANY GRASS moves, and not enough other-type.

Note that Leafeon's base Attack stat is significantly higher than his Special Attack stat. This makes Leaf Blade a much better idea than Solarbeam. I'd EV train him in Attack and really focus on those physical moves. I'd also use the sunny weather in a different way, to restore HP.

Grass-types are susceptible to attacks from Fire, Flying, Ice, Bug and Poison moves. Bearing that in mind, it's worth having moves that can hit those types. Aerial Ace might do against Bug types, if you can get another TM. Iron Tail's an option for Leafeon, too, against Ice types. Dig against Poison & Fire, maybe? It's non-ideal due to its two-turn nature, but Leafeon's in much less danger from an Earthquake than Flareon would have been. Hrm.

1. Leaf Blade - GRASS, Physical
2. Aerial Ace - FLYING, Physical
3. Iron Tail - STEEL, Physical / Dig - GROUND, Physical
4. Synthesis - will recover 100% of user's HP in Sunny conditions, [size=8pt]according to Serebii[/size].

Do what you want with moves 2 & 3, but definitely go for Leaf Blade & Synthesis :D.

dpiconani471.gif

Glaceon
Item? Wise Glasses
Male
Snow Cloak
Toxic
Ice Beam
Mirror Coat
Water Pulse

Ice-beam for STAB, Water Pulse for fire; Toxic because it's unexpected, and mirror coat as a filler.
[/quote]
Why Glaceon rather than Vaporeon, btw? For the higher defensive stats?

Mirror Coat & Counter are both extremely annoying moves for me, because sod's law dictates that I'll use Mirror Coat against a physical move and Counter against a special move - I really don't know how people have the uber-killer Wobbuffets now with the Physical/Special split in D/P! Must be better gamblers than me, heh. I have no real opinion on this moveset. Glaceon seems to learn a lot of Ice moves, and a lot of Status moves, and not a lot else :-\.

dpiconani380.gif

Latias - Feona
Latias (and Latios) is THE Eon pokemon, so it makes sense for her to be on the team. Simply due to the high stats (

Puns are a specialty of my friends and I, so it was natural.

The main reason I chose the eeveelutions I did is because out of all the 8 available those are my faves. Although I will replace Espeon; because IIRC I had Jolteon on my team during the R/B/Y days and it worked very well.

Thanks to your input and a few matches I played with this team I can finally see what needs to be changed, so...

dpiconani133.gif

Focus Sash
Trump Card
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power
Toxic
I wanted to have trump card in there, but I never saw Eevee actually being able to survive more than one hit, so I didn't bother. I'll give it focus sash instead and EV Train for speed and SP.Atk. (My Eevee has HP Ground) I know it's a winner, but I've gotten sick of baton passing techniques since I already have one on my main team.

dpiconani359.gif

Aerial Ace
Night Slash
Psycho Cut
Stone Edge
Playing around with my team yesterday and yes, I admit Shadow Claw + Psycho Cut is a waste. Aerial ace takes care of both weaknesses. Only problem I had with Absol when playing was against some girl's Steelix.

dpiconani136.gif

Sunny Day
Overheat
Return
Roar
Flareon was absolute win in battles the other day. Since I took away return from Eevee, I'll give it to Flareon. I dislike Iron Tail for it's low accuracy, It pretty much never hits when I want it to. Will-o-wisp was a real waste on this because most pokemon take OHKO after Sunny Day + Overheat.

dpiconani470.gif

Muscle Band
Leaf Blade
Synthesis
Dig
X-Scissor
Leafeon lasted a lot longer than I thought it would in my matches, so I guess it's worth having Synthesis there. Dig should've been blatant to put a stop to poison and fire types. Thanks for drawing my attention to that.

The reason I use Glaceon over Vaporeon is simple. I think Glaceon looks cooler. :p Mirror coat pretty much always works, since fire moves are very common. I did, however; remove toxic and change it for Shadow Ball.

Got rid of Espeon, so..

dpiconani135.gif

Jolteon
Item? ???
Female
Static
Thunderbolt
Protect
Light Screen
Hyper Beam

Jolteon makes a return to my team after 6 years or so. Yes, I know Hyper Beam's redundant; but it just looks so damned cool in PBR.

I don't use Rain Dance and Sunny Day on the same team, since they have the habit of ruining your advantage if things go wrong. Not to mention, only 2/6 of my pokemon would benefit from rain.

Iron Tail is a hate of mine, since it never seems to hit when I want it to and it's only super effective against two types, which are rarely seen in competitive.

I'll try some more matches with this team and see how it goes, but I'd love some more input from people.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
dpiconani133.gif

Focus Sash
Trump Card
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power
Toxic
I wanted to have trump card in there, but I never saw Eevee actually being able to survive more than one hit, so I didn't bother. I'll give it focus sash instead and EV Train for speed and SP.Atk. (My Eevee has HP Ground) I know it's a winner, but I've gotten sick of baton passing techniques since I already have one on my main team.
Fair enough - Baton Passing can be rather tedious :). If you have a Focus Band available, that would be preferable to Sash. According to Psypoke's Item list, Focus Band may allow a Pokemon to survive a KO attack regardless of starting HP, but Focus Sash will only work if it starts with full HP.

I'm assuming that Absol is keeping her Scope Lens and Flareon will keep her Heat Rock...?

[quote author=Dreampirate link=topic=2835.msg36235#msg36235 date=1189945701]
Got rid of Espeon, so..

dpiconani135.gif

Jolteon
Item? ???
Female
Static
Thunderbolt
Protect
Light Screen
Hyper Beam

Jolteon makes a return to my team after 6 years or so. Yes, I know Hyper Beam's redundant; but it just looks so damned cool in PBR.
[/quote]
Mmm, well, you originally had Wise Glasses on Glaceon, before you switched him to using physical attacks. You could give that to Jolteon now to boost her special attacks? Or you could use the Magnet or Zap Plate to boost the power of her Thunderbolt (I know for certain the Plates offer a 20% boost, but I'm not sure whether the Magnet is 10% or 20% - Sem would know!). Another possibility is a Shuca Berry, which if held by a Pokémon, will weaken a foe's supereffective Ground-type attack. I've found the rare berries from the woman in the house in Pastoria extremely useful for dealing with type weaknesses. (The Shuca Berry in particular is great for my Skuntank, though I don't have a powerful Electric type yet.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Focus Band hardly ever works. I use focus sash instead, because that works 100% of the time, and eevee will go down in one hit from most moves. It just doesn't have the defense.

Both Absol and Flareon will keep their items, since that made them really great when I tried them in battle.

Glaceon's still using specials, so it would probably be wise to keep the wise glasses on. (I didn't intend that joke, I swear!) I've never been much of a berry user, but I'll try Shuca and see how it goes over.

Thanks again.