• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Team assembly and ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
As all others posted in this area, I was hoping to get some ideas about any changes that can be made to the Pokemon I have. These should all be at level 100. I honestly can't tell if I'm getting the EV's or not. There is another website I go to that tells you, for example, if you defeat a slowpoke, you get 1 hp ev point. That is correct right? Anyways, tell me what I can do. I have no problem trying with the same pokemon but a different nature or changing the pokemon completely to something else. Just let me know why so I can have as much insight as I can. Also, none of these have items on them. I'm really bad at putting the right item on a pokemon.

Golem
Impish Nature with Sturdy Ability
Hp 294
Atk 273
Def 322
Sp. Atk 126
Sp. Def 148
Spd 150
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Rock Climb(is a good HM for having power of 90, even though everyone said no HM's but why not? its strong.)
Magnetude(im aware this move is not needed since I have earthquake but what would be a good move to replace it with?)

Blaziken
Sassy Nature with Blaze Ability
HP321
atk 279
def 180
sp.atk 271
sp.def 196
spd 202

Overheat
Sky Uppercut
EarthQuake
Brave Bird

Lopunny
Lonely Nature with Klutz ability
HP 276
atk 211
def 194
sp.atk 149
sp.def 226
spd 251

Jump Kick
Ice Beam
Bounce
Return

Ampharos
Mild Nature with Static Ability
HP322
atk 185
def 182
sp.atk 305
sp.def 193
spd 168

Thunder
Iron Tail
Signal Beam
Power Gem

Primeape
Adament Nature with Anger Point Ability
HP245
atk304
def203
sp.atk123
sp.def 172
spd 281

Close Combat
Rock Slide
EarthQuake
Seismic Toss

Now these two I'm debating on because both are good in their own way.
Metagross
Gentle Nature with Clear Body Ability
HP314
atk 340
def 256
sp.atk 221
sp.def 225
spd 182

Hyper beam
Psychic
Metor Mash
Shadow Ball

Bronzong
Bold Nature with Levitate
HP 278
atk 208
def 300
sp.atk 173
sp.def 273
spd 147

Faint Attack
Payback
Flash Cannon
Psychic

Both Metagross and Bronzong are good. However, Metagross seems to be the stronger one yet he falls to ground moves and Bronzong does not since he levitates.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Overall, your movesets aren't too bad, but there's a few changes that need to be made:

- Why not Rock Climb? Simple: Golem has tons of moves that are far, FAR more useful than Rock Climb could ever be, that's why. Sucker Punch, Fire Punch, ThunderPunch, Superpower, Rock Polish and Explosion are all available as potential options, and all of them outstrip Rock Climb in terms of usefulness by a tremendous margin. Stealth Rock is an almost-mandatory move for Golem - I say "almost-mandatory" since Metagross and Bronzong can use Stealth Rock too, but as a rule-of-thumb, every team should have a Pokemon with Stealth Rock available - the move is just THAT good. Anything out of Muscle Band, Leftovers, Passho or Rindo Berry can work as decent hold items.

- Blaziken's nature sucks ass, and I'd suggest a re-breed if you hope to make the most of Blaziken's strengths. Superpower is an alternative Fighting STAB for Blaziken, but Sky Uppercut is just as good really. Earthquake's OK, but Blaziken will likely see more use out of something like Stone Edge, Rock Slide or ThunderPunch for Flying-types that resist his Fighting STAB - ThunderPunch has the added bonus of striking Water-types that would resist Fire STAB too. The last move is filler really - note that Blaziken's main role is destroying defensive Pokemon using his mixed physical and special attacks to strike down specialized physical/special walls by targeting their lower defensive stat, such as Skarmory (high Defense, low Sp.Defense, weak to Fire) and Blissey (high Sp.Defense, low Defense, weak to Fighting.) Life Orb is probably the best item for Blaziken.

- Lopunny's best role is that of an annoyer/disruptor or a supporter. I'd re-breed again with Lopunny myself since most of its best moves are Egg Moves, most notably Encore, Fake Out and Switcheroo. Switcheroo gets special note due to it working exceptionally well with Klutz - Lopunny can't use items with that ability, and while that may seem bad at first, it also means if Lopunny is holding an item that would have a negative effect, such as Flame Orb, Lopunny will suffer no ill effect from the item since it can't use it and burn itself. With Switcheroo, you can then give the damaging item to an opponent and have them suffer the full, ill effects from (in this case, the Flame Orb, which will burn them while you steal their item at the same time.) Healing Wish, Heal Bell, Endeavor, Mirror Coat, Magic Coat, Baton Pass and Agility are other moves that Lopunny can make good use of - keep in mind Lopunny will be more useful doing these sorts of things rather than trying to attack, since its offensive stats aren't that great.

- Thunderbolt is going to be more useful than Thunder on Ampharos due to Thunder's horrible accuracy - you never know when it'll screw you over by missing, whereas Thunderbolt's 100% accuracy is completely reliable. Choice Scarf would be my item of choice for Ampharos due to his horrible Speed, although if Lopunny ran an Agility Baton Pass set, you would be able to pass Speed boosts to Ampharos to make him very quick (you can also do this with Blaziken to great effect also.) Iron Tail also will be pretty useless due to bad accuracy and typing - if you do feel like giving Ampharos a Choice item (either Specs or Scarf) then Focus Blast would be a good fourth move - granted, its accuracy is just as horrible as Thunder's, but the Fighting-type coverage it provides will help slay Rock/Ground-types such as Rhyperior, and really, Ampharos doesn't have anything much better than Focus Blast to put in that fourth slot.

- Your Primeape is pretty cool, pretty nice stats and great nature to boot. I will copypaste Primeape advice from another thread here for you - this advice was given by me to another member:

King of Lucario said:
Here's a possible set for you to use:

Primeape @ Choice Band/Muscle Band
Vital Spirit
Jolly
252 ATK/252 SPEED/6 HP

- Close Combat
- U-Turn
- Ice Punch/Rock Slide/Stone Edge
- Seed Bomb/ThunderPunch

That's a basic mish-mash of moves that Primeape can use if you're looking for a simple, easy-to-use moveset for him, although it's not really the best he can do - I'll get to that part later. Close Combat is the best choice for STAB since its power and accuracy both out-do Cross Chop. U-Turn is a nice revenge-killer move on a Choice Band set and is just a very nice move in general, and the final two slots are filler really - Ice Punch can cut down stuff like Gliscor and dragons nicely, Rock Slide and Stone Edge are a general blanket coverage for enemy Flying-types, Seed Bomb is specifically for stuff like Swampert, who will get a very nasty shock since not many will be aware that Primeape gets Seed Bomb, or you can go ThunderPunch for stuff like Gyarados.

Really though, I prefer this set:

Primeape @ Salac Berry
Anger Point
Jolly
252 ATK/252 SPEED/X HP

- Reversal/Close Combat
- Punishment/Stone Edge
- Endeavor
- Substitute

A bit of a luck-oriented set, but overall you aren't risking a huge amount and the potential pay-off can be amazing for you and horrifying to behold for your opponent. First things first, X is the value for your HP here because your HP must NOT be divisible by four for this to work - if your HP would, without any EVs, end up being divisible by four, stick 6 EVs in to increase your HP by 1, so that way it won't be divisible by four anymore. If it wouldn't be divisible by four with no EVs in it, then just leave it be and stick the 6 EVs into Defense or something. You'll need to get an exact IV value (which can be gotten via IV calculators) for your HP to do this, but that's another explaination for another thread.

Anyway, how does this set work? Well, the aim here is to get a maximum-power Reversal, a Salac boost to your Speed as well as a huge boost to your Attack via Anger Point, which would basically make you impossible to wall. Anger Point can only be triggered if Primeape suffers a critical hit though, and this is where the luck factor comes in - basically, set up Substitutes against a slower opponent and hope that they crit the Substitute with an attack - you'll survive, and your Attack will end up through the roof thanks to Anger Point. Sub up until Salac activates and your HP is almost zero, then proceed to murder the opposition with Reversal, which will now have 300 power. At this point, if this all works out, you'll be able to OHKO basically everything that isn't immune to Reversal with ease. The second slot is coverage, in case Ghosts turn up - Punishment is more reliable here, but Stone Edge covers Flying-types at the cost of accuracy. Finally, Endeavor can drop the opponent's HP to match your own - if done at the end of your setup (remember, you'll be near-death at the end of it) then the opponent will suffer immense damage, possibly dropping their HP to 1 point - this is more of a desperation move against something you know you can't kill, and will probably see more use if you're unlucky with Anger Point.

Whew...so, take your pick. Keep in mind that the Anger Point set doesn't NEED the attack boost the ability provides - it can still sweep very efficiently without it. The Attack boost just helps a great deal since your already high damage output from Reversal would increase to near-unstoppable levels.

Granted, both Primeape sets have a Jolly nature, but Adamant works fine too, so don't worry about it.

- Now, for Metagross vs Bronzong...I'd say Bronzong would be more useful to you since Golem, Blaziken and Ampharos all suffer weakness to Ground-type moves. Having Metagross would make your team extremely vulnerable to Ground, so I'd consider Bronzong's Levitate mandatory, so you can circumvent that weakness to some extent. As for moves, I mentioned Stealth Rock earlier, and Bronzong's great at using it, probably more-so than Golem, so that's one move for him. Other available options for Bronzong include Reflect/Light Screen for further support, Hypnosis/Confuse Ray if you wish to inflict disruptive status moves on the opponent, or moves like Gyro Ball, Earthquake, Psychic and Explosion if you wish to cause some damage. If I had to pick four moves to make a set, I'd probably go with Stealth Rock, Hypnosis, Gyro Ball and Explosion to give yourself a nice blend of support, status and damage moves. Leftovers for the hold item, definitely.

Whew...overall, you have a very, very unique and interesting team that is definitely showing promise at this stage. I would, however, possibly re-breed for better natures on Blaziken and Lopunny (speed-boosting Nature works best for Lopunny, if I didn't point that out earlier) as well as egg moves for Lopunny, and I'd also consider EV training if you haven't already. Another good idea would be to look at all the available moves your team members can use (Serebii and Bulbapedia are the best sites for this) and use them to get a better idea of what you'd like out of each individual team member as well.

King of Lucario said:
Overall, your movesets aren't too bad, but there's a few changes that need to be made:

- Why not Rock Climb? Simple: Golem has tons of moves that are far, FAR more useful than Rock Climb could ever be, that's why. Sucker Punch, Fire Punch, ThunderPunch, Superpower, Rock Polish and Explosion are all available as potential options, and all of them outstrip Rock Climb in terms of usefulness by a tremendous margin. Stealth Rock is an almost-mandatory move for Golem - I say "almost-mandatory" since Metagross and Bronzong can use Stealth Rock too, but as a rule-of-thumb, every team should have a Pokemon with Stealth Rock available - the move is just THAT good. Anything out of Muscle Band, Leftovers, Passho or Rindo Berry can work as decent hold items.

- Blaziken's nature sucks ass, and I'd suggest a re-breed if you hope to make the most of Blaziken's strengths. Superpower is an alternative Fighting STAB for Blaziken, but Sky Uppercut is just as good really. Earthquake's OK, but Blaziken will likely see more use out of something like Stone Edge, Rock Slide or ThunderPunch for Flying-types that resist his Fighting STAB - ThunderPunch has the added bonus of striking Water-types that would resist Fire STAB too. The last move is filler really - note that Blaziken's main role is destroying defensive Pokemon using his mixed physical and special attacks to strike down specialized physical/special walls by targeting their lower defensive stat, such as Skarmory (high Defense, low Sp.Defense, weak to Fire) and Blissey (high Sp.Defense, low Defense, weak to Fighting.) Life Orb is probably the best item for Blaziken.

- Lopunny's best role is that of an annoyer/disruptor or a supporter. I'd re-breed again with Lopunny myself since most of its best moves are Egg Moves, most notably Encore, Fake Out and Switcheroo. Switcheroo gets special note due to it working exceptionally well with Klutz - Lopunny can't use items with that ability, and while that may seem bad at first, it also means if Lopunny is holding an item that would have a negative effect, such as Flame Orb, Lopunny will suffer no ill effect from the item since it can't use it and burn itself. With Switcheroo, you can then give the damaging item to an opponent and have them suffer the full, ill effects from (in this case, the Flame Orb, which will burn them while you steal their item at the same time.) Healing Wish, Heal Bell, Endeavor, Mirror Coat, Magic Coat, Baton Pass and Agility are other moves that Lopunny can make good use of - keep in mind Lopunny will be more useful doing these sorts of things rather than trying to attack, since its offensive stats aren't that great.

- Thunderbolt is going to be more useful than Thunder on Ampharos due to Thunder's horrible accuracy - you never know when it'll screw you over by missing, whereas Thunderbolt's 100% accuracy is completely reliable. Choice Scarf would be my item of choice for Ampharos due to his horrible Speed, although if Lopunny ran an Agility Baton Pass set, you would be able to pass Speed boosts to Ampharos to make him very quick (you can also do this with Blaziken to great effect also.) Iron Tail also will be pretty useless due to bad accuracy and typing - if you do feel like giving Ampharos a Choice item (either Specs or Scarf) then Focus Blast would be a good fourth move - granted, its accuracy is just as horrible as Thunder's, but the Fighting-type coverage it provides will help slay Rock/Ground-types such as Rhyperior, and really, Ampharos doesn't have anything much better than Focus Blast to put in that fourth slot.

- Your Primeape is pretty cool, pretty nice stats and great nature to boot. I will copypaste Primeape advice from another thread here for you - this advice was given by me to another member:

King of Lucario said:
Here's a possible set for you to use:

Primeape @ Choice Band/Muscle Band
Vital Spirit
Jolly
252 ATK/252 SPEED/6 HP

- Close Combat
- U-Turn
- Ice Punch/Rock Slide/Stone Edge
- Seed Bomb/ThunderPunch

That's a basic mish-mash of moves that Primeape can use if you're looking for a simple, easy-to-use moveset for him, although it's not really the best he can do - I'll get to that part later. Close Combat is the best choice for STAB since its power and accuracy both out-do Cross Chop. U-Turn is a nice revenge-killer move on a Choice Band set and is just a very nice move in general, and the final two slots are filler really - Ice Punch can cut down stuff like Gliscor and dragons nicely, Rock Slide and Stone Edge are a general blanket coverage for enemy Flying-types, Seed Bomb is specifically for stuff like Swampert, who will get a very nasty shock since not many will be aware that Primeape gets Seed Bomb, or you can go ThunderPunch for stuff like Gyarados.

Really though, I prefer this set:

Primeape @ Salac Berry
Anger Point
Jolly
252 ATK/252 SPEED/X HP

- Reversal/Close Combat
- Punishment/Stone Edge
- Endeavor
- Substitute

A bit of a luck-oriented set, but overall you aren't risking a huge amount and the potential pay-off can be amazing for you and horrifying to behold for your opponent. First things first, X is the value for your HP here because your HP must NOT be divisible by four for this to work - if your HP would, without any EVs, end up being divisible by four, stick 6 EVs in to increase your HP by 1, so that way it won't be divisible by four anymore. If it wouldn't be divisible by four with no EVs in it, then just leave it be and stick the 6 EVs into Defense or something. You'll need to get an exact IV value (which can be gotten via IV calculators) for your HP to do this, but that's another explaination for another thread.

Anyway, how does this set work? Well, the aim here is to get a maximum-power Reversal, a Salac boost to your Speed as well as a huge boost to your Attack via Anger Point, which would basically make you impossible to wall. Anger Point can only be triggered if Primeape suffers a critical hit though, and this is where the luck factor comes in - basically, set up Substitutes against a slower opponent and hope that they crit the Substitute with an attack - you'll survive, and your Attack will end up through the roof thanks to Anger Point. Sub up until Salac activates and your HP is almost zero, then proceed to murder the opposition with Reversal, which will now have 300 power. At this point, if this all works out, you'll be able to OHKO basically everything that isn't immune to Reversal with ease. The second slot is coverage, in case Ghosts turn up - Punishment is more reliable here, but Stone Edge covers Flying-types at the cost of accuracy. Finally, Endeavor can drop the opponent's HP to match your own - if done at the end of your setup (remember, you'll be near-death at the end of it) then the opponent will suffer immense damage, possibly dropping their HP to 1 point - this is more of a desperation move against something you know you can't kill, and will probably see more use if you're unlucky with Anger Point.

Whew...so, take your pick. Keep in mind that the Anger Point set doesn't NEED the attack boost the ability provides - it can still sweep very efficiently without it. The Attack boost just helps a great deal since your already high damage output from Reversal would increase to near-unstoppable levels.

Granted, both Primeape sets have a Jolly nature, but Adamant works fine too, so don't worry about it.

- Now, for Metagross vs Bronzong...I'd say Bronzong would be more useful to you since Golem, Blaziken and Ampharos all suffer weakness to Ground-type moves. Having Metagross would make your team extremely vulnerable to Ground, so I'd consider Bronzong's Levitate mandatory, so you can circumvent that weakness to some extent. As for moves, I mentioned Stealth Rock earlier, and Bronzong's great at using it, probably more-so than Golem, so that's one move for him. Other available options for Bronzong include Reflect/Light Screen for further support, Hypnosis/Confuse Ray if you wish to inflict disruptive status moves on the opponent, or moves like Gyro Ball, Earthquake, Psychic and Explosion if you wish to cause some damage. If I had to pick four moves to make a set, I'd probably go with Stealth Rock, Hypnosis, Gyro Ball and Explosion to give yourself a nice blend of support, status and damage moves. Leftovers for the hold item, definitely.

Whew...overall, you have a very, very unique and interesting team that is definitely showing promise at this stage. I would, however, possibly re-breed for better natures on Blaziken and Lopunny (speed-boosting Nature works best for Lopunny, if I didn't point that out earlier) as well as egg moves for Lopunny, and I'd also consider EV training if you haven't already. Another good idea would be to look at all the available moves your team members can use (Serebii and Bulbapedia are the best sites for this) and use them to get a better idea of what you'd like out of each individual team member as well.

Does anyone appear to have any obvious EV points? Like I said, I really don't know what the normal stats are. Would Infernape be a better choice than Blaziken? Im also going to assume you never want a nature with lowering defense which is why you suggest re-breeding lopunny. Why would you go for speed boosting Lopunny when he is already fast? Or is his speed not that great on this specific Lopunny. I've been trying to breed another Primeape that has Vital spirit rather than Anger Point because Primeape isn't great on defense and critical hits usually kill him. I also don't see the big deal about Substitute. It seems more annoying than useful or a way to slow the fight down cause when an opponent uses it, and I use a move that takes it out in the same turn, its a wasted turn. Sometimes this happens two or three times to the point where the opponent is too low on HP to use the move again. Most moves used by higher level pokemon seem to stop substitute before an attack can be made while behind the substitute. Primeape doesn't seem to have much HP to be spending anyways, which is odd cause I remember in Pokemon red all the way to crystal, I always found a Mankey and trained it to a Primeape and its HP was always atleast 300. The highest I think I got was about 330. Now I'm dealing with Primapes with HP only at 250 range and its like a let down lol. I never saw use for Punishment either because if the opponent hasn't powered up any and by most of the moves you have suggested for all my pokemon, very very few of them were moves to power ones self up, unless it was a move that had a 10 or 20 percent chance of boosting a stat but whats the chance of boosting a stat a few times in a row? This is just my theories. I'm open to answers and criticing. I'm a noob, I don't understand everything. Plus I haven't played in years. I played Ruby when it came out and stopped after I got Groundon and was bored with the game.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
That's quite a block of text you have there. I'll break it down for you:

- I don't know if there's a thread in the forums talking about EV training here, but there is this thread in the old forum archive which explains EVs and IVs in detail:

http://www.pokecharms.com/forumarchive/ ... ic.php?t=9

Have a read through that for more information on EV training.

- Infernape is widely considered to be superior to Blaziken due to it being far faster and having access to certain key moves that Blaziken does not have, most notably Grass Knot, Close Combat and U-Turn. Although I do believe people should use whatever they personally prefer, Infernape is hands-down superior to Blaziken, without any shadow of a doubt.

- Lopunny wants a Speed-boosting nature simply because its his best stat, and the one it'll end up making the most use out of. The vast majority of Pokemon that have Speed as their highest stat use a Speed-boosting nature to take full advantage of their greatest strength, and Lopunny is no exception to the rule. Keep in mind that while Lopunny's Speed is its highest stat, its Speed stat is actually not that great compared to threats like Salamence and Flygon, which further increases the need for a Speed-boosting nature on it. If you want to annoy and disrupt foes (which Lopunny, as stated, excels at) you'll usually want your disruptive moves to strike before your opponent has a chance to hit you.

- Apparently you didn't read the Anger Point/Sub Primeape description, or you would have noticed that if an attack crits on your Substitute, Anger Point is triggered by it - this allows you to survive the attack very easily and make full use of the ability. Also, Salac Berry only activates when your HP drops to 25% or lower - Substitute, conveniently, drops your HP every time you use it. As for Punishment, it's for Ghost-types who are immune to Fighting - Primeape doesn't get anything much better than that unfortunately, unless Stone Edge is more your thing. Substitute isn't a straightforward move to use, but in certain situations (like this one) it can prove extremely potent, and it is definitely one of the best moves in the game.

Don't worry about being new to competitive battle, no-one starts an expert after all, and it often takes players quite some time before they can fully grasp how certain strategies work, and how to use certain moves whose uses are not straightforward.

Status
Not open for further replies.