• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Team Advice

Tailon

Gryffindork
I'm replacing the Arbok on my team with an Aggron, and have a moveset in mind, but every other Aggron set I've seen recommends a Life Orb or Leftovers, but I already have two Life Orbs and one Leftovers, so I need some help with that, as well as its second EVs

Aggron@???
Adamant
EVs: Attack/???
-Head Smash
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch
-Rock Polish

So this is a physically attacking Rock Polish set, I just need help with that second EV and the held item. I'd also like to avoid a Choice Item if at all possible. Thanks for your help in advance ^^

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Re: Aggron Advice

Rock Polish works fine here, here's my take on your beast:

Aggron @ Shuca Berry/Chople Berry
Adamant
Rock Head
252 Attack/252 Speed/6 HP

- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Iron Head/Ice Punch/Fire Punch
- Rock Polish

Standard Rock Polish sweeper set really - with max IV in Speed, your stat will hit 398 at Lv.100 after one Rock Polish, which makes you faster than Aerodactyl, Crobat and Jolteon - more than enough to outspeed everything you need to, so you probably won't need to ever use the move more than once per switch-in. Head Smash is your best STAB and the recoil is negated by Rock Head, Earthquake hits Steel-types and slot three is for additional coverage - Iron Head gives you secondary STAB along with a high flinch-hax chance to combine with your boosted Speed, Ice Punch hits Flygon and Gliscor super-effectively to stop them getting in your way, and Fire Punch is to harm Bronzong and Scizor. Note that neutral STAB Head Smash will still be more powerful than super-effective Earthquake, Fire Punch and Ice Punch unless the three aforementioned are 4x super-effective instead of 2x:

Neutral STAB Head Smash: 225
2x S.Effective Earthquake: 200
2x S.Effective Fire/Ice Punch: 150
2x S.Effective Iron Head: 240

Tailon

Gryffindork
Well, Aggron's done, but, as this is my first properly trained team, I've never properly trained Special and Defensive Pokemon, so I'll need some more help :>

Gengar@Life Orb
??
Levitate
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk,???

-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
- ??

So this guy's my Special Attacker, with Shadow Ball for STAB and the other two for coverage. I'm a bit iffy on Focus Blast now, due to its low accuracy. Anyway, on to the next one

Slowbro@Leftovers
Relaxed/Bold
Own Tempo
EVs: 252 Def, 6 SpAtk, 252 HP

-Slack Off
-Surf
-Psychic
-Thunder Wave/Toxic/Ice Beam

This guy needs less help than Gengar, I just need to know which of the natures and the final attack would work best on the set :x

Last edited by a moderator:
For Gengar, Timid or Modest would work here, but I'd go for Timid because Life Orb is already boosting his massive SpAttack, so you'll need a bit more speed in order to hit hard and fast. For your last slot, a fair few things would work. Even though you have Focus Blast to wear down Steels, if you don't want to risk it(or, you're out of PP for it), perhaps Hidden Power: Fire could work. Explosion is an option if you want to surprsie something that comes in to soak up your special attacks, and is a nice option if Gengar's low on health anyway. I'd say Hypnosis, but that has worse accuracy than Focus Blast, which you're already worried about.

For Slowbro, my suggestion is Bold, unless you are planning on running into someone using Trick Room, in which case, Relaxed would be the way to go. Not that he's going to outspeed much anyway, but with Relaxed, he'll move even slower, and can use Slack Off to recover after taking a beating. Either one of those final moves works great, but it'll depend on what you want him to do. Thunder Wave is nice in conjunction with Slack Off, if you want to immobilize the opponent and hope to catch a free heal if they can't attack. Then you could relentlessly attack them either with your STAB or switch to something that could kill them fast. Toxic also works fine with Slack Off, as you constantly heal while they slowly die. And then there's Ice Beam for if you want Slowbro to do some sweeping while being able to withstand some physical punishment.