• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

SWO Hydreigon

So, since receiving one of the 31 Speed IV Deino that KoL has kindly been giving away, I decided to start EV training. I've read up on it, and am ready to get going. I've also researched movesets, and would like help with the one I've got planned.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Timid
Levitate
252 Speed 252 Sp. Attack 4 HP

- Fire Blast
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse

Seeing as it's a special sweeper, I thought I'd go all out and give it a life orb for massive damage. The moveset is standard fare. I'm not going to go into it too much as I'm a newbie at all of this and it's a learning experience, but here goes: Surf is there for coverage, Dark Pulse is there for STAB, Draco Meteor is there for massive STAB damage and Fire Blast is there for ice types who are lurking about.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
As a note, most Hydreigon are Choiced - there is a reason for this (it works.)

You've got the right idea here, so these are just the other potential options you can use. Focus Blast is an option for dealing with Tyranitarsaurus Sand Stream Sp.Defense, but the bad accuracy is a letdown and T-Tar isn't exactly an immediate danger to Hydreigon either unless he carries Dragon Claw or something. Charge Beam is a very interesting option since it lets Hydreigon pick up kills and boost his Sp.Attack at the same time - using it against very weak opponents to finish them off is the key here. Work Up is similar, but I'd consider Charge Beam superior in this case for stat-boosting. Finally, U-Turn works well on the Choice sets, although not so well on the regular sets - still a decent option though for a surprise switch with a bit of extra damage.

...that's about all there is to it.

Charge Beam sounds like an interesting option. I'd probably get rid of surf for it. It might end up being a bit situational (especially if I choice the Hydreigon) but could end up working well. So, Life Orb changed to Choice Specs and Surf changed to Charge Beam.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Charge Beam + Choice item is completely pointless. Pick one or the other.