• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Swearing.

All of us would be lying if we said we had never done it, but how do people feel about swearing?

I'm personally adverse to it; I try not to swear myself when I can help it and dislike it when others do, though I have no reason for this other than a sense of vulgarity and general disapproval. That being said, I noticed that in the latest RP-cum-writing adventure I've under taken, Kari seems to be doing it a lot. I have no reason for this (particularly with my stance on swearing) other than the fact that it feels "right".

That being said, I don't mind swearing in literature: so long as it's in speech. It can often be used as a part of a character; in Kari's case, it's a shield. He's acting aloof, arrogant and the lark because of what's he been through and what he wishes not to relive.

So, what are your opinions on swearing. This includes in "real life" and the literary sense.

I'm fine with both real life and in literature. I do limit myself to certain words, though. I do use the f word, but that only usually happens by accident. If I catch myself about to say it, I just extend the first syllable. "FFFFFFFFFFFFF"

As far as how often I actually swear...let's say if I had a swear jar, whoever owns it would be filthy stinkin' rich.

A

Anonymous

I'm pretty ok with it, I just don't like with when people overabuse it Like this:
"You fuckin' shit, what the fuck is with u, cumshit? You talk so much fucking damn shit, that u fuckin get annoying."
And I know how this feels and it annoying, I have a friend who says "Fuck" every two words when he's uspet.
I'm partaking in the same PRP as Tatile and so far, my main PRP character, Frank has cursed a few times when he was upset, and my second character, Katrina, has only cursed once, when she said fuck out of anger.

As for how much I curse in general? Sometimes I can't control myself, if I had a swear Jar, and I have to add a quarter for each time I curse a day, I'd probably owe the owner $15.50 each day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I do know several people that swear regularly, but I'm not adverse to it in moderation (though it does get on my nerves when it's excessive). In literature, as characterization, it is perfectly understandable so long as readers are warned beforehand what the story is rated as. I have a few characters myself that swear on occasion, though I try to stay away from making ones that do it quite a bit. When it comes to if I swear and how much ... Using iFlare's example of the Swear Jar and having to pay 25 cents apiece (with a total amount being kept in it), there would only be one quarter in it. The one time I did swear, even on accident, it had a very unpleasant consequence. *Sweatdrop.*

You can easily count the number of times I swear a year on a single hand - I rarely do it at all, I've always found there to be other ways to get the same point across in a nicer manner. That said, if I do swear then you can be sure I mean it >>

Clubs Deuce said:
I swear like my entire life is one giant fuckin' swear word.
Truth be told, the vast majority of my friends are exactly like this :p I don't have a problem with it at all, but I find its in my character to launch a cynical or sarcastic remark their way sometimes (which usually ends up as "Polite as ever," with a smile :p)

A

Anonymous

Clubs Deuce said:
I swear like my entire life is one giant fuckin' swear word.
Nice... Not even my friend swears that much, funny.

I think "Fornication" sounds a lot cooler than the f word. It means the same. One of these times, I'm gonna shout that out. "Aww, Fornication! I stubbed my toe!" ...Okay, probably not.

Being the Goody Two-Shoes that I am, I don't curse. And I dislike cursing in general, kinda vulgar and dumb sounding. In literature, it's okay, I wouldn't read a book if it cursed (well, if it was to a ridiculous amount, I would). I really hate it if people throw it around. I understand if you hit your head on the table or lost a card game in three seconds, but if you're perfectly fine don't say it every three seconds. I do mind.

I don't curse very often, especially at home since my mom is extremely against it (due to her own barely-held-in-check tendency to swear like a sailor... alas). My friends on WoW tend to use expletives like punctuation and my mom will often come down and be shocked. I usually find it pretty irritating when people swear excessively, especially if it's just unneeded or it just doesn't fit.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Anyone who knows me knows I tend to cuss and swear like I've slammed a cutlery drawer shut on my nutsack at the best of times. When I'm in a calm, reserved state, I tend to only speak when necessary, but when I go off on one the swears rain down at least 50 a minute.

Nope, I don't swear at all either on teh internet or irl. For one I just think it's wholly unnecessary and secondly, I don't because of religious reasons~ On another note, I don't listen to music, TV shows, etc with excessive amounts of swearing and I'll duck out situations where people are excessively swearing.

I don't mind swearing as it is part of the language we speak. Sometimes it does carry the correct weight when trying to say something and gives just the right impression you are trying to impart. Now... saying all that I do tend to not swear a whole lot, but it does tend to sneak in a bit. I never mean it to be bad, just that I find that using words that have certain impact and impart both the mood of the statement and the emotion behind it just make it feel correct.

I swear sometimes, but not every other word. Most of the time, it's just when I get mad or hurt, and sometimes out of blind rage, I'll make up my own swear words, (I shouted "JIZZ BISCUITS!" out loud when I fell off my bike the other day :p .) I'll also fuckin swear on the internet too sometimes.

I really, really try not to. I've cut back a whole lot since 8th grade (where the first kids to say the eff word were the coolest in town). I hardly do it on teh interwebs anymore, and when I do it in real life, it's usually on accident, a habit I've been trying to kick.

That being said, I don't mind it, unless it gets to the point where it's excessive.

I forgot to mention, I try my hardest not to swear around kids that tend to repeat what I say. Mainly 'cause I care that I'll get beat up by their mothers.

And I hardly do it around the ladies, at least when I frist meet them. Once they get to know me, I do it more often, as long as I know they don't care.

I don't mind swearing, especially when you injure yourself in ways such as the lovely example KoL used in his post. However I don't like it when people are like "Oh, I went to the fucking super market and bought some fucking food so I could make some fucking dinner odor my fucking family." That I don't like.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I don't swear. I'll sometimes swear in my head, but I never say it out loud. I don't like swearing. I don't mind if other people do, in fact my friends are quite bad for it. My brother and his friends swear like there's no tomorrow. I just feel that I can get my point across without the need for foul language :V

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I do curse/swear, and certain unsavory phrases and words I abuse quite a lot, but most of them are the lesser evils of the swearing/cursing world. I'm very careful about using bad language at work, too, unless it's privately to a co-worker. Like many have stated above, I think that cursing and swearing do have their place in our language and literature so I don't mind hearing it or reading it... within reason.

I hate people swearing in front of children and acting like it's okay for them to do so. I once had someone say to me "They're going to hear it all when they're older anyways" and no. That does not make it okay. That just makes you a jackass. Kids already have enough crap to deal with while growing up and they don't need random strangers adding to it with foul language. >_>

Excessive swearing bothers me, too, depending on its intention. I can tolerate it fairly well if it's meant to be comical, but when it's not... after awhile it just makes a person seem perpetually angry. And if someone truly is that angry, they should do themselves a favour and chill out. It does nothing but unnerve people or annoy the hell outta 'em.

It is scientifically proved that swearing reduces pain.

For me, it depends on the kind of swearing. I swear when something hurts, when I'm having a really bad day, etc. But I try not to swear towards or in company of people.

I tend not to swear, as it is against my Christian religion (some thing like "Do not let foul words beseech thy lips" or something like that), but every now and then I do slip. In addition, when I was young, my household was greatly against foul language, and I grew up insanely against it, calling out people about it. Now, I just shut up and let people talk the way they want, trying to lead by example.

Oh, Duece...That's when I started swearing. 11 or 12. My friend Lizzie was so proud when I said "Damn it". I thought she was joking about being poud, but....

I blame the Rocky Horror Picture Show for that. I mena, I didn't know any swear words, but I knew there were words that could be considered "Taboo"

Clubs Deuce said:
You shouldn't start swearing until you're at least 15 >=(

Well I'm 10 and I've done some good swearing. I am totally calm with swearing (Though sometimes I have Hell remembering all the freaking words) though I never say the F one unless I'm alone. Age: 10. Swear Lv: 3. Approval: 1.7% (0.1 percent mother, 0.6 percent sister, 1.0 percent pokecharms)

Yeah, I s'pose I swear quite a bit, probably more than I realize too. Swearing has never bothered me, and unless someone is REALLY emphasizing their swear words I don't even notice them. I think I swear more on the internet than I do in real life, though, 'cause there have been a few times where I'll swear in real life and someone will say something like "Woah, I've never heard you swear before!"

So I don't really keep track of myself, but I think I swear fairly often :\

52Crossroads

Formerly Gya
i do swear. and quite often. not as often as to be excessive, but often.
but i do have rules. (yes. i have swear rules.)
1- mind generation gaps. if they are old enough to be your grandparent or young enough to be your child, watch your mouth.
2- dont swear around people that wont swear around you. if they dont cuss, they obviously have a problem with it.
3- be creative. i hate it when people repeat the same curse in a sentence.
and i have a swear jar that i carry with me. it actually helps me save money, because i wont take anything out of it until its full.

I don't swear a lot, but I do swear. Most of my swearing comes during video games or stressful life situations but, otherwise, I do my best to avoid the dirty words and use more creative ones. ;-)

I think it's okay. But I hate when people just overdo it. They say it, like when they shouldn't. Like this girl at school. Some person who doesn't swear that much, would say-
"Hey can you help me, I need my homework done!"
She would say-
"OMG DUDE! Can you F**King help me! My F**King Homework is so F**King hard! I need it done for F**King math class!"
She just says it cause' she feels like it I think, but really, don't just swear alot. Do it when you need to.

I don't swear alot, as most people tend to see me as a role model for a good person (obviously they don't know me very well XD), but I do when I'm annoyed, or hurt (physical or emotional.). I remember swearing my head off at the site of my grandma's death, blaming myself. But some swearing makes things funnier. like "How....The....F@#k.... did you blow up all those cars!?!" "500 lbs. of sausa and dynomite with a cup of coffee and a match."

Re: Swearing. I try not to!

I always try not to swear, but sometimes I can't help it! If I had a swear jar and I had to give 50p every time I sweared, I would have to give about £1.50 every month.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I would like to say that I've never sworn before, but indeed, I have. I've really only sworn about five times in my life, at max. I'm one of those people who really dislike swearing and those people who swear regularly around me, and cringe whenever I hear those... bad words. And those times I swore, I was in such a bad mood, my goodie-goodie side shut down and you're left with a monster who doesn't care what the difference between violence and peace is. Yes, I regret swearing those few times I did. <<

I'd like to say I try to keep myself from swearing too much, but that'd be a lie.

I mean, if there are kids, I keep quiet, because that's just not cool.

But around people my age? Pffft. I'm not one of those "every other sentence" people, but I won't refrain from it if the situation is appropriate- which, with my friends, it often is XP

And in traffic? I challenge anyone to outcuss me then. I get both loud -and- creative, and often mix my cursing with threats of various shades. I mean, hey. If you're dawdling about, get out of the left lane. Seriously. >__> *has entire rants about driving. She shall refrain.*

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I emit random curses every once in a while - though I try to refrain from such in situations it would be inappropriate.

I kinda shrug at the whole thing to be honest.

I swear, I have to admit. I don't swear very often, but when I do, it's nothing really bad. I only swear on the internet, though. I don't /ever swear in real life. Ever. Evereverever~

I don't care if I hear other people swearing at all, normally. The only thing that irks me is when I hear kids no older than thirteen swearing like a sailor. That's just wrong. D: