• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Superstitious?

Are you superstitious?

• Yes

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • Whatzitoya?!

Votes: 9 22.0%

• Total voters
This is a simple Topic. If you answer "Yes," maybe you could put what you're superstitious about. The third option is if you don't care to answer. Please be open and don't make fun of people; we can be superstitious if we want!

I am superstitious about luck. I don't make fun of guys (Computer or otherwise) that I am going to battle. It was really hard when I battled the first admin of Colosseum. How he flexed his muscles at the beginning of battle. Or if I say, "This'll be easy!", I knock on wood.

So? Are you of Pokecharms superstitious?

AL

I have a tendency to unfocus my eyes when I throw a PokeBall. If I see it too clearly, it's more likely to break. Well, I know that's not remotely true, but I do it anyway.

Also, I always get a weird feeling whenever I see three cats grooming themselves just before I go into the bathroom. It just seems like a weird sign, like I'll exit into another dimension when I leave.

Eh, I'm kinda superstitious. It's more like for fun and stuff like that rather than actual belief. Like step on a crack and break your mother's back I just step over cracks to have fun. Or Friday the 13th is unlucky, I don't really believe it, but sometimes its just fun to go with the flow. I do believe there is luck but black cats won't make you unlucky or anything. It's just in the circumstances you get lucky.

I have a tendency to unfocus my eyes when I throw a PokeBall. If I see it too clearly, it's more likely to break. Well, I know that's not remotely true, but I do it anyway.

I do something similar, except ever since I R/B I have hit right+B and held it until the 2nd roll. Strangely enough, I never catch if I dont O_o

I'm not superstitous in a bad luck way. I am however in a ghosty way.

Nope. I do what youre not suppose to do (I don't go around breaking mirriors. That's just plain stupid). I walk under ladders and such. I was born on the 13th, and recently had my birthday on the 13th and nothing bad ever happens to me...at least I hope so.

I don't walk under ladders very often, but only cause its just a stupid thing to do...

I believe in luck, and I have my own superstitions and strange behaviours, for example i avoid read my lucky dip line on my euromillons ticket until the morning after the draw, cause every time I do I get no numbers from it... So yes you could say im a bit superstitious...

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Seth, don't just say "Superstitions are weird" without justifying yourself. You're just being rude and inconsiderate.

As far as they go, I'm not massively superstitious. I try to avoid walking under ladders because... well... it might fall on you. And I don't like breaking mirrors because my universe rarely extends past the nearest one. So yeah xD

Thank you, Yoshimitsu. But, I found out that I do have some superstitions towards ghosts. Didn't help that time I saw Ghost Hunters on SciFi channel. *shivers*

AL

I'm not really superstitious. The whole thing about breaking mirrors is kinda odd. I mean, if you go break a mirror just to see if you'll really get bad luck, then getting caught and having to replace the mirror isn't bad luck. It's just consequences. Everything has a consequence. And they can be both good and bad. (That's just my opinion) ^^

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I'm not exactly superstitious. I don't believe that saying "Bloody Mary" in front of a mirror will make Mary come and scare/mark/kill you, but that's because I was stupid enough when I was about 8 to do a dare involving a mirror and saying, "Bloody Mary". But I DO believe that having my lucky Eevee keychain around is lucky..... Kind of.

isn't there another superstion that you have to be in the dark to do? i heard of one where a baby sits in your arms and when you move it scratches you up.

I'm superstitious, deeply in love with the sheer mystique of the supernatural world. My favorite superstitious phenomena is Nessie :]

I'm superstitious, deeply in love with the sheer mystique of the supernatural world. My favorite superstitious phenomena is Nessie :]

So true for me too. That and Dragons. They're not evil, we just invaded their territory! I can never stand in front of a mirror in the dark, cause THAT'S how I thought that Bloody Mary thing happens. Now I'll be safe... I hope.

AL

Like Gardevoir Master I do something when I throw a Pokeball. I tap the A button and hold it, turn the volume down and look away, focusing my attention on something else and ignoring the game. If I don't the Pokemon breaks free, and I can't catch anything.

As for Bloody Mary...In third grade a bunch of girls tried it and ran screaming and crying from the bathroom on the recess field. I went in and pretended to do it to mock them, but ever since I'd get the strangest urges to look at a clock, or something showing numbers and lo and behold...There's the number 113 shining out at me... >_>

I do things when throwing a Pokeball too, oddly enough-

Hold A and B at the same time. I push harder on the buttons the more I want the Pokemon, as if the game will 'sense' how pissed off I'll be at it if it doesn't capture. xD

Seriously though, unless with a Master Ball or Park Ball, I never catch anything without A+B... Although, I still do it by habit.

I just realized I believe in little green men. Makes sense considering I am as odd as them. ;D Either that or I'm extremely intrigued by them. i love the mystery behind 'em.

I also have a Catch habit. I press A+B alternately until it lands. Then, I say, "Gotcha" into the mic. Then, when it's inside, I press L+R alternately fast as well.

AL has Spoken!

After reading the "Bloody Mary" posts in this thread, I am now so creeped out I can't look away from my monitor because now I'm afraid of seeing some otherworldly-presence right behind me. And that's when you really feel the need to turn around, y'know? You can just feel something right behind you, breathing down your neck and its hands on your shoulders, ready reach up and....

*Blood-curdling scream.*

Oh. Nevermind. There's nothing there.

Or is there...?

Now I need some Mega Ran just to break the tension. I'd turn on the TV, but I think it'd just be too much of a distraction.

Sorry, Gardevoir Master. But I know what you mean. It happens when I read at night in my bed. I feel some presence behind me. I turn around... nothing. But then it feels as if that presence is behind me. Weird.

Anyway, like I said earlier. I was looking on the Wiki for UFO reports. Creepy stuff. Anyone else consider believing in Aliens Superstitious, or just something else?

AL

I believe in aliens. I think it's statistically impossible for there to be no other form of life in the universe. It doesn't even need to be intelligent life, it could be some form of bacteria.

I'm probably the least superstitious person I know...

My favorite number is 13 just because I'm sick of hearing superstitons about it. Also my cousin was born on Friday the 13th and he's just fine... most of the time. XD

I walk under ladders a lot too...

And I don't believe in a whole lot of myths either. I need proof.

I believe in what my mom believes in, like "never put a hat on a bed" and "a bird(not a pet bird) in the house means there will be a death in the family" and I like to believe in "find a penny, pick it up and all the day you'll have good luck"

Yup, when I was little, my mom tells me to believe this and that until I grew up believing it, that breaking a mirror means 7 years of bad luck, or a cat wiping its facing means a visitor is coming, or a black cat is a devil in disguise.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I guess, considering the levels of paranoia I have related to certain situations, I do have a degree of superstition. Most of the typical superstitions - breaking a mirror, walking under a ladder or by black cat, the number 13, etc. - don't bother me, but I'm a bit of a jinx worrier. Half the time when I "knock on wood", I'm not sure if it's just jokingly or I honestly believe I could jinx myself ^^;

I'm superstitious,but only in good luck.I mean,sure,I don't like to walk under ladders,but I'm just cautious.I always think that they'll come crashing down on me.Plus,my mommom used to have a black cat as a pet,and nothing bad ever happened!Ok,I do have one teeny weeny superstition about bad luck.I think that bad spirits are traped in glass Christmas ornaments and if you break one you'll have bad luck until Febuary.Otherwise,I only belive in good luck.

Yup, my mother believes in superstitions, so I do to, like the black cat is a devil in disguise, or if you dream of numbers you will win the lottery, or falling spoon means there is a female visitor, fork for male, and teaspoon for child.

i bleieve in most superstitions like big foot dragons aliens nessie but i hate it when science tries to find evidence on them why cant they leave them alone? >:( but i don't believe in the bad/good luck superstitions, but believe in karma, that's why good things happen and bad things happen. :)

I'm not one for superstitions, but the closest thing to it that I do is, whenever I throw a Pokeball at a legendary, I'll give it the deathglare, and like, dare it to come out. I caught Moltres on my first try in FireRed with this. xD

I'm not that superstitious, like the ladder thing or the black cat. But I do get creeped out when my friends tell stories of when they did the Bloody Mary or when they hear people calling their names when noone else is home. It's really freaky, but I love hearing stories like that. Ah, the memories...

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I'm not really that superstitious at all. To quote Obi-Wan Kenobi: "In my experience, there's no such thing as luck." I believe that to be true also, although I would not be so narrow-minded as to consider it a fact.

Oh yeah, Im VERY supersticious. I go around, carrying holy water in a squirt gun, and my pockets is always stuffed with salt at rabbits feet. I chuck them at every black cat that crosses my path. (which is usually my sisters cats. Maybe thats why they hate me. or, maybe theyre just demons. O_O) I try not to step on any cracks(cus i love my mumsy so much) and I dont even dare to look at a mirror, 'specuially at night. (its like looking at a portal to hell or something! oh wait, its just my face. ._.')

I'm not really superstitious as such, and like most people I have a Pokeball catching system whereby I hold the Down button and press 'A' and 'B' alternately until I see the capture sparkles. If it's a Legendary or some other hard-to-capture Pokemon, I also close my eyes saying "Please oh please oh please oh for the love of all that is good and holy please..." until I capture it. I was trying to capture my Regi's in my Sapphire game and I couldn't for the life of me catch Regice. After using up 50 Ultraballs, 6 Pemierballs, 5 Pokeballs, 10 Repeatballs and 10 Timerballs (and repeatedly sending the thing asleep for all of them) I re-started, did my above catching system, and caught the thing on the third Ultraball. I re-started three more times. Again with all of them, I caught it within 5 Ultraballs. Am defineilty using that system when trying to catch all my legendaries in my Diamond game.

I also had a very strange thing happen to me. I was over house sitting a good friends' aunt's house, (she and my best friend there too), and I was in the room she wouldn't go near (she says she can hear and see ghosts and spirits, and see the reincarnations of a soul, and while I personally can't, I ain't begrudging her it), saying there was a little boy in my room crying for help. Whenever she walked past the room, she'd hiss like a cat at it. Once the air-con in my room stuffed up and I asked her to fix it, since it wasn't one I was familiar with it. The entire time she was in the room, she was saying "I can't hear you! Lalalalalalala..." and so forth. Anyway, she said that the house had apparently belonged to a quack doctor in the early 1900's and he had (judging by the amount of ghosts in the house) killed more patients than not, and now their ghosts were inhabiting the rooms.

One night, on the second-to-last night we were there, I went to bed and had a dream of the quack doctor trying to cut my hand and fingers off. I felt a sharp stabbing pain in my left index finger. Then in the dream, I saw the young boy she said was in my room, plus a few other ghosts holding down the doctor, while a young woman, who I assumed was his assistant bandaged up my finger.

When I woke up, the bandage was still there. And when I fell asleep, there had been none! I told my friend, and she said something about my soul being a 'new' soul, and had never been in this world before, hence I had a lot of untapped 'spiritual energy' and the ghosts were attracted to it. I never saw the ghosts again, and if it hadn't been for the bandage on my finger, I'dve never had believed it happened. I still have the scar, faded, but still there. So, while I personally don't believe in 'em as such, I know there are more things in this world than meets the eye.​