• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Super Smash Bros 4 Characters! Who's good and who's bad.

pokeman266

2015 Singles Champion
Since Super Smash bros 4 has been out a while people have gotten a idea of characters that are good and bad in the game. For this thread I'd like for people to discuss how good ( or bad ) they think a certain charater is.

For me, I think that Rosalina, Bowser, Greninja, Robin and Ness are some of the best characters
While I think the worst are Ganondorf, Wii Fit Trainer and DK. I'll probably post my reasons in detail after I see interest in this thread.

With all that said, I think most people can agree that this is the most balanced Smash Bros game yet with no characters that are useless and with no characters that are the Smash Bros 4 version of Brawls' Meta Knight.

Burgundy

Formerly SuperSableye24
I haven't found any characters in this game to be outright "bad". It's very balanced, to the point where Zelda and Ganondorf are actually pretty good in my opinion. Though that doesn't mean there aren't characters that are good either. Rosalina and Sheik are probably two of the best, followed by Bowser, Duck Hunt, ZSS, Diddy, and Wii Fit (in no particular order). The weaker characters would be Olimar, Game & Watch, and Wario, in my opinion. Not to say they're terrible, I just haven't seen a lot of them, and it's really hard to tell.

pokeman266

2015 Singles Champion
I find that though Marth has said to be worse in this game he can still be a solid character. Lucina I think is easier to master than Marth though that does not mean she is better.
Dark Pit looks like he is going to be better than Pit since he can KO better ( A big weakness of Pits even with his new side special ) and he does not look much slower.
As for Ike I've heard that he is slightly weaker than his Brawl version though I have not seen any real change. Even if Ike is more or less the same as Brawl it means that he will probably be one of the worst characters since most of thebad character in Brawl have received buffs. But Ike can still be very good under the right hands like you said.

On a side note, why does everyone think Olimar is so bad? Even with less Pikmin he still looks good to me.

Burgundy

Formerly SuperSableye24
Dark Pit and Pit are literally no different other than the bow and dash arm. :/
Where did you hear that Marth was considered the worst? Other than a slightly shorter sword, there's nothing bad about him.
Ike is...about the same in my opinion. I don't know if he's weaker, but he's seems the same.
I never said Olimar was bad, I just said he was one of the weaker ones. But I don't see him often enough to make an accurate opinion.

pokeman266

2015 Singles Champion
I'm surprised that you have not heard any negative things about Marth! Anyway, Olimar is not going to be as good as he was in Brawl but he is still very powerfull. Since he pulls out pikmin in a certain order it makes things less random than before. For Dark Pit I actually though that he was stronger than Pit because it seemes I KOed with him a bit easier, sorry lol. Something I would like to know is how peoople think about Sonic. People say that he is much better than in Brawl.

@KoL how could you say that?! Dark Pit RULES as well as most other characters but yes I have to admit Ganondorf is pretty strong but he is always the slowest character

pokeman266

2015 Singles Champion
Ganondorf is much better than in Brawl though that is not saying much. It seems that Ganondorf has received slight boosts in a lot of his moves and they are still very powerfull. But unfortunately he is still very slow and his recovery and air game are ok at best. I really liked playing Ganondorf for fun in Brawl so maybe I'll be able to finally use him a bit in competitive play.

pokeman266

2015 Singles Champion
I think it was the right decision to have Alph as half of Olimar's costumes so that both new and long time fans of the pikmin series will be happy. But if they had to only choose one of them I'm sure they probably would have chosen Alph to promote the new game.

AzureEdge

✧luzrov rulay✧
I still wish Chrom was in the line up somewhere. But he's in Robin's final smash, so at least he shows up.
For me it's
Good- Sheik, All Pokemon, Robin
Bad- Pit and Link.
I feel like Link and Pit are slower than they should be, and it's really annoying.

pokeman266

2015 Singles Champion
Pit is just as fast as in Brawl ( more or less ). Link on the other hand is actually faster and more powerfull.

For Pokemon I think that Lucario and Greninja are some of the best fighters in the game. Pikachu is still solid. Charizard and Jigglypuff I'm not so sure of. Charizard feels a little to slow for me and his recovery isn't very good. Jigglypuff is better but can still be easily KOed.

Abd I agree with you Chrom should have been in the roster :(. I see no reason why they would choose Lucina over him. I guess Nintendo wants to make a point that its not sexist.

Link is awesome. The Pokemon are fine to me. My problem is Luigi's moveset. Special could have been Thunderhand, Side Special is fine, but something else could have been done to make it stronger, such as adding his thunder in it to make it the "Thunder Rocket" or something, up special is fine, and down should have been either the Powerflower or the hammer.

pokeman266

2015 Singles Champion
The only special I think should be changed is his down special, though I would not mind his side special being changed either. Now that the doctor is back there's another character that has the same down special. Now each of his specials already belong to another character though there's a slight difference. Special ( Mario and Doc Mario ) Side Special ( Pikachu ) Up special ( Mario, Doc Mario )
Another thing, they really need to make Luigi stronger because I see him being one of the top 5 worst characters in the game.

pokeman266

2015 Singles Champion
Greninja so far looks to be a solid choice and could very well be one of the best characters in the game. He is very fast and has decent enough power to his moves. His up special can really annoy you when you play against him.

As for Pacman, people say he's about an average character. He's one of those all around guys.

ive found alot of characters to be good and not many bad ones. heres my list though

good: ganondorf, link, marth, robin, bowser, ike, mega man and shulk (to name a few)
all very powerful in my opinion and with these guys i dont use their specials often (except i do alot when using robin, marth and ike) because i find their melee attacks to be very good alone
bad: wii fit trainer
a bad character in my opinion. when i use him/her im not very good and kind of feel like i cant attack at all. i find his/her moves to be pretty bad and i never use him/her

Good: For me, it would be lucas, ryu, mega man, marth, ( Oh My Gosh Marth!) Dr.Mario, Mario,and mewtwo (It depends if I really care if I want to win) WARNING: THIS IS MY OPINION
Bad: Roy( Because for ME I just can't use him right...I try...:p) Little Mac (I am fine with him it is just that his jumps OOOHHH HIS JUMPS!!!) Sheik ( OH SHE IS GOOD BUT SOOOOOO MANY PEOPLE USE HER AND AGAIN I.. just... can not...use her right...:p)

Charizard greninja ness and luigi are awesome characters when u know how to use them right...as for bad characters idk...i dont see anything bad with any of them..its just the way you play the game and how u have a feel for the characters which really makes them good or bad...i guess olimar would be the only semi bad character to me and thats only because you need pikmin to attack

Good
For me it has to be Mega man since he has a ton of fun and helpful attacks, my favorite being the Skull Shield special and he is the guy I main in Smash Bros. (Did you guys think it would be Sonic?)

Bad
I don't really have a bad character but my least favorite to use is Pit

1. Lucas - Just Go in the corner and spam PK Ice. ;)
2. Roy - Just spam B! ;)
3. Marth - SPEED IS KEY :D
4. Villager - Spam B!;)
5. Ryu - HADOKEN :)
6. Rosalina - Just spam B then Button Mash!;)
7-55= Meh
56. Meta Night - >=OITS NOT MY FAULT I CANT FLY BACK UP FROM THE BOTTOMLESS PIT OF DOOM!!!!!>=O

Techinally, in terms of competitive, Diddy is considered top tier. In my books, I have almost mastered shulk, so he's up there. Ganondorf I love too, for his heavy attacks.

Last edited: