• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Sun Team (Read Again)

This is my first attempt at a sun team.

Ninetales
@Leftovers
Timid
Drought
-Energy Ball
-Fire Blast
-Nasty Plot
-Hidden Power Ice
4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe

This ninetales is meant to bring the sun out for the team as this is a sun team. It is also meant to be used as a sweeper when needed. Energy Ball is there to take care of Rock, Water, and Ground types that try to take Ninetales out.

Tangela
@Eviolite
Careful
Leaf Guard
-Sleep Powder
-Solarbeam
-Leech Seed
-Amnesia
252 Def, 252 SpDef, 4 HP

Tangela is meant to be a physical wall for this set. It is not tangrowth as the new eviolite item gives it much better defenses. Leech seed is the form of recovery, and amensia is meant to boost up it's less than suitable special defense.

Rotom-H
@Leftovers
Timid
Levitate
-Substitute
-Discharge
-Overheat
-Will-O-Wisp
252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP

Rotom-H is meant to sweep while behind a substitute. The discharge gives a better chance to paralyze than thunderbolt, at the drawback of slightly less power. Will-O-Wisp is meant to cripple physical attackers.

Tropius
@Wise Glasses
Modest
Solar Power
-Air Slash
-Solarbeam
-Synthesis
-Safeguard
252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 Spe

Tropius is here to avoid ground type pokemon. Safeguard is an option to help the rest of the team avoid status, such as sleep or poison. Synthesis and Solarbeam are there to abuse the sunlight, as synthesis recovers full HP in the sun.

Reshiram
@Life Orb
Timid
Turbo Blaze
-Flame Charge
-Fusion Flare
-Dragon Pulse
-Focus Blast
252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 Att

Reshiram is meant to special sweep. Flame Charge is on the set because the speed boosts are gladly welcome as it needs to hit hard and fast in order to do it's job as sweeper. Focus Blast is there for extra coverage on Dark types.

Darmanitan
@Life Orb
Jolly
Sheer Force
-Flare Blitz
-Superpower
-Rock Slide
-U-Turn
4 Def, 252 Atk, 252 Spe

Darmanitan is meant to be a physical sweeper for the team. Rock Slide provides coverage for other fire types. U-turn provides a nice method to switch out from the lowered stats from superpower.

Tell me how I did! Any improvements and or suggestions for this team are very welcomed.

Re: Sun Team

Just going to put my two cents in on the Pokes I actually use:

Ninetales: You might want to change HP Ice to HP Ground, otherwise you'll be completely walled by virtually every Fire Pokemon in existence. Why Leftovers is on it when you've made it out to be a full-fledged sweeper is beyond me. Maybe something like Wise Glasses for extra power? Or Air Balloon to discourage Ground attacks?

Reshiram is banned here.

Darmanitan hits like a friggin' truck. If you find Flare Blitz wearing you down to fast, Fire Punch is a nice alternative, also getting the Sheer Force benefit. Flame Charge can also come in handy if you find his speed to be a bit underwhelming.

To replace Reshiram, I suggest using a Chlorophyll Pokemon, like Sawsbuck or Venusaur. Both can perform amazingly under the Sun, and what's a Sun team without a Chlorophyll abuser?

Shocari said:
Just going to put my two cents in on the Pokes I actually use:

Ninetales: You might want to change HP Ice to HP Ground, otherwise you'll be completely walled by virtually every Fire Pokemon in existence. Why Leftovers is on it when you've made it out to be a full-fledged sweeper is beyond me. Maybe something like Wise Glasses for extra power? Or Air Balloon to discourage Ground attacks?

Reshiram is banned here.

Darmanitan hits like a friggin' truck. If you find Flare Blitz wearing you down to fast, Fire Punch is a nice alternative, also getting the Sheer Force benefit. Flame Charge can also come in handy if you find his speed to be a bit underwhelming.

To replace Reshiram, I suggest using a Chlorophyll Pokemon, like Sawsbuck or Venusaur. Both can perform amazingly under the Sun, and what's a Sun team without a Chlorophyll abuser?

Thanks! This is really helpful. A sun team definitely needs a chlorophyll abuser :D. Gonna go with Sawsbuck, then post the updated set. Also two things: Venusaur gets Chlorophyll thru the dream world i think, and wouldn't sheer force take the speed boost off of flame charge?

Any input on this set still welcomed.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member

Some general notes really...

- Drop Energy Ball for Solarbeam on Ninetales first off. Hidden Power Ice is probably worth keeping actually since Dragon-types laugh at Ninetales if Fire and Grass is all it can bring to the table. Consider other moves such as Hypnosis, Confuse Ray, Will-O-Wisp or Toxic over Nasty Plot if you find the Plot doesn't deliver the goods. Leftovers might be alright on Ninetales here actually since it makes its Stealth Rock weakness less problematic, but Wise Glasses or Choice Scarf (with Hypnosis over Plot) can work too.

- I hate having to repeat myself...DUSCLOPS, CHANSEY AND PORYGON 2 ARE THE ONLY POKEMON THAT SHOULD BE USING EVIOLITE. PLEASE DO NOT USE ANY OTHER POKEMON BESIDES THOSE THREE. The reason being is that Tangela is setup bait for anything once you've put something to sleep and popped Sleep Clause (and people will bait this.) Use something else.

- Why do you need Tropius to avoid Ground-types when Rotom-H already has Levitate? Not to mention Rotom-H is pretty good whereas Tropius sucks ass. I'd also consider giving Rotom-H's Will-O-Wisp to someone else so that Rotom can use something that fits in better with his moveset (Discharge's paralysis chance is already nice and high as it is) such as Hidden Power Ice (again, since Fire + Electric isn't great for coverage alone) or Pain Split to heal yourself for more Substitutes.

- Sheer Force negates Flame Charge's speed increase effect. I'd actually leave your Darmanitan as it is.

The main issue I have with this team is that it misses out on almost all of the best options for sun teams. No Chandelure? Volcarona? Victini? Heatran? Chlorophyll Venusaur? Blaziken could fit in nicely too. Salamence could work well here also with sunlight to boost his Fire-type special attacks, making his wall-breaking and sweeping more effective, not to mention providing something that isn't Fire or Grass-type. I'd consider the other options available to you here, since you're missing out on a lot and currently have a lot of dead weight here.

You also forgot to add a Stealth Rock user.

OK, updated set, with King Of Lucario and Shocari's input taken.

Ninetales @Air Balloon
Drought
Timid
-Solarbeam
-Fire Blast
-Nasty Plot
-Hidden Power Ice
252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP

Dusclops @Eviolite
Pressure
Modest
-Pain Split
-Will-O-Wisp
-Hex
-Confuse Ray
252 SpDef, 252 Def, 4 SpA

Rotom-H @ Leftovers
Levitate
Timid
-Substitute
-Discharge
-Overheat
-Pain Split
252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP

Infernape@Muscle Band
Naive/Hasty
Blaze
216 Att, 252 Spe, 40 SpA
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock
-Fire Blast
-Close Combat

Salamence @Life Orb
Intimidate
Naive
-Dragon Claw
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake
24 Atk, 232 SpA, 252 Spe

Darmanitan @Life Orb
Sheer Force
Jolly
-Flare Blitz
-Superpower
-Rock Slide
-U-Turn
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Def

Input still welcomed.

Re: Sun Team (UPDATED)

You can keep the element of surprise for using a Sun Team by having Infernape as a lead, that way you can get Stealth Rock up even sooner, and still be able to punish a poke or two. Here's a great Infernape lead set that I find to work quite effectively:

Infernape@Focus Sash
Hasty/Naive
Blaze
252 Spe, 216 Atk, 40 SpA
-Fake Out
-Stealth Rock
-Fire Blast
-Close Combat

Essentially, Fake Out at the start to break a possible opposing Sash, set up a guaranteed Stealth Rock because of your Sash, and then wail on the opponent with Fire Blast(which gets STAB and Blaze if your Sash activates!) or Close Combat, which makes it easier to get in Blaze range. You can also just switch to Ninetales if you feel it appropriate, while also being able to use Fake Out again. In that case, switch Close Combat with U-Turn(so you can still do damage and switch), or just switch manually .

Shocari said:
You can keep the element of surprise for using a Sun Team by having Infernape as a lead, that way you can get Stealth Rock up even sooner, and still be able to punish a poke or two. Here's a great Infernape lead set that I find to work quite effectively:

Infernape@Focus Sash
Hasty/Naive
Blaze
252 Spe, 216 Atk, 40 SpA
-Fake Out
-Stealth Rock
-Fire Blast
-Close Combat

Essentially, Fake Out at the start to break a possible opposing Sash, set up a guaranteed Stealth Rock because of your Sash, and then wail on the opponent with Fire Blast(which gets STAB and Blaze if your Sash activates!) or Close Combat, which makes it easier to get in Blaze range. You can also just switch to Ninetales if you feel it appropriate, while also being able to use Fake Out again. In that case, switch Close Combat with U-Turn(so you can still do damage and switch), or just switch manually .

Hmm, that seems like an interesting idea. Now that I think about it, if Infernape has stealth rock, that's something that should be set up right away. The sun is usually also set up immediately. I have absolutely no clue what to send out first. I'd consider the opportunity of using groudon in Ninetales's place for the drought and stealth rock opportunity, but there is no way of getting a good nature on groudon for me as I have no more groudon encounters. I also really like not having a legendary on my team as it would potentially bring me up to the uber tier.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member

Double-posting is against the rules Eevee. I've joined your posts together, but it'll be a warning next time.

I'm also going to quash this one here too: the Stealth Rocker does NOT have to come out first. In fact, sending it out first is often a bad idea since it's extremely predictable play that can be countered quite nastily by certain opposing leads that simply focus on immediately attacking you. Besides, leading isn't the only thing Infernape does, and you can quite easily disguise your Infernape as a pure attacker early-game and then drop the rocks when the opponent switches out to avoid a fatal attack.

Infernape certainly can lead first if you want it to, but it doesn't absolutely have to. Rain teams with Politoed's Drizzle often have Ferrothorn as a Stealth Rocker, but Politoed still comes out first.

OK so besides the infernape conundrum, is everything else in the team ok? Infernape set switched back, Fire Punch replaced by Fire Blast. Also considering putting Taunt for the EQ slot to counter status.