• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Sub-Board for Fairy Tail?

Okay, so after speaking with Sem for a bit, I've decided that this is a good idea and I'm going to get a feel for the general interest for this UPDATED IDEA. So, I am thinking, after deliberating with Sem as I said, that a GUILD SUB-BOARD would make more sense than a simple RP with limited spaces like the one I'm currently running.

Here's how things would work. There would be:

Guild Common Room: Essentially this would just be where you post and interact with other guild members in a non-mission oriented interaction space. Pretty much it would just be for a bit of conversation between characters and for making potential "Teams" and the like.

Job Board: This would be where I would post different "fliers" with jobs listed that are available. Each of these jobs would then become a RP in the sub-board which would be monitored by myself and whoever else I have helping me run this thing. The rules on this would be no Lone Wolf missions where we would just read about you doing things on your own; that's called a fanfic and we have a different place for those D:< But yeah, jobs will be posted regularly that people could accept and begin. Which leads us to the...

Ongoing Work Board: This is exactly what it sounds like. Once you have decided which job you are going to take, you post in this board and I will update the main post that has a list of ongoing jobs and who is participating in them. This way we know what jobs are still available and which have been accepted. We will also have a...

Completed Jobs Board: This way we'll all be able to see what jobs have been completed in the past and who has completed said missions.

Lastly there will be an OVERALL PLOT THREAD occasionally. This would essentially be things like the RP that is going on now in the main board. From time to time I will start a thread that has a big bad threat boss attack thing that people can participate in that would be open to anyone interested in it. This would be our sort of Guild wide struggles that happen from time to time like the actual arcs in the series.

Obviously this means that the Class System will need to be taken into consideration, as well as a few other things. These things will be determined at a later date.

This idea is to allow more people to participate in the Fairy Tail RP idea and making the whole experience feel more like a "Guild" experience. However, in order to make it work, we'll need a large number of interested participants. As you can see, I've put a lot of thought into this idea and I'd really like to see it come to fruition, so even if you haven't watched the series or read the manga, I'd like you to feel free to join anyway (as long as you aren't opposed to doing some research on Wikipedia or something and ensuring that you are staying true to the nature of the series).

Please post if you're interested.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Since I have to make the sub-board anyway I'll help Chad run this. I probably won't do any actual jobs but I can probably manage posting semi-regularly in the common room thread.

Obviously a sub-board in this sort of style also allows for a more relaxed atmosphere that doesn't require you to post that often, since you don't necessarily have to join a job.

Give some feedback and join and stuff.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Since I posted in your RP and whatnot

Count
me
in~

it's super late as well, and I can't think and I'm too tired to read everything right now and I'll give feedback if I have any tomorrow.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here. We currently have two sub-boards for RPs and both of them, for lack of better words, are pretty much dead (although to give Rex/RX credit, they're trying to revive Charming Town). It's starting to get a bit excessive. ^^;

We kinda have this problem here with the same people joining many different projects at the same time, and the majority of threads/projects seem to die long before they reach any state of completion. I'd be worried that the exact same thing would happen to this Fairy Tail concept if we took it to a larger scale, and then it'd just be another dead board collecting dust... :x

I'm not completely opposed to the idea, but I've seen so many dead RPs around here lately (including the Dissidia project) that it's making me wonder if this would be a good idea at this time. Having a single topic as a test run might be a good idea to see if interest holds up. I dunno. You guys can discuss that.

My recommendation would be to determine if any interest still exists for Dissidia, and if it doesn't then removing it and trying a brand new project wouldn't be so bad. As much as I'd like to believe that the Dissidia project will pick up if left alone, I have my doubts that it will once yet another sub-board RP world gets created, and we don't need it just sitting there lifeless like Charming Town was for so long.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Linkachu said:
I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here. We currently have two sub-boards for RPs and both of them, for lack of better words, are pretty much dead (although to give Rex/RX credit, they're trying to revive Charming Town). It's starting to get a bit excessive. ^^;

Personally, I saw nuke the Dissidia board. It's clearly not going anywhere any more.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Yoshimitsu said:
Linkachu said:

Personally, I saw nuke the Dissidia board. It's clearly not going anywhere any more.

That's fine by me if everyone feels the same way. Just give me the okay and I'll move the topics out/remove the board. Or Sem could.

Still, I am concerned about activity levels. I think anyone who says they're interested in this project needs to be honest with just how interested they are. Chad'll be going to a lot of work sorting this out, and it'd be a real shame if it went the same way the other two sub-forum projects (originally) did. We don't need crazy activity levels with more relaxed stuff like this (and for that reason I support the creation of a sub-board), but we do need some on a semi-regular basis. ;p

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
I'm not really seeing the need for a sub board here. Dissidia itself didn't really need an entire sub board, it just seemed appropriate. Can't it just have it's main plot thread, and then a discussion thread for everything else? People can pre-face posts with what the content's regarding and go from there. If it turns into a clusterfuck, then maybe consider a sub board.

The reason the sub-board idea makes more sense to me than a main plot thread is the way that the whole Fairy Tail Guild idea works. It'd be more relaxed than a thread, and more people would be able to participate in in rather than only having space for five people like the thread currently going on does, which doesn't really feel like a Guild so much as it just seems like five people doing an RP.

Obviously, Sem and I have decided that this sub-board will not go anywhere if there is no level of interest, but I figured that this way people would be able to participate and give the whole 'Charms Guild a more genuine feel while having a more relaxed feel at the same time. That way people who can't be excessively active can still be doing something.

Of course, I'm requiring a large number of people before I go through the trouble of having Sem create the sub-board. Since, as you've both said, the other sub-boards are pretty much dead and I don't want to go through the trouble and work if it's not going to play out. But, I would really like to see this happen, just because it makes more sense to me than a single topic.

Also: Since we're on the topic, I've noticed that a lot of RPs are just not moving at all anymore and it makes me incredibly sad. There's been a real lack of activity in all manner of RPs, not only the ones in the sub-boards. Obviously there's not much was can actually do about that, but I was just pointing out that RPs seem to be suffering a lot as of late.

Boop bop, I have interest!

To note, Chad, the main reason RP stuff is dying is because school has happened once more! I, myself, have a bunch of college applications to work on. I'm sure it'll get more active when we get to points like winter break and other areas.

I'm so in~

Now that I've got my magic FINALLY worked out.

I'm pretty sure no-one else will have this idea.

So yeah

I'm in

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Bloop

Actually, I'm pulling out. Life's been getting too hectic, and I'm really scared that this will be another one of the typical 'Charms RPs: they either never take off, or they die off within the first few weeks. The only RPs that I've seen that end up going to completion in the past year or so were private RPs. Y'know, ones that were small and easier to control.

That's my input. ^^;

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Chadwyck said:
Obviously, Sem and I have decided that this sub-board will not go anywhere if there is no level of interest, but I figured that this way people would be able to participate and give the whole 'Charms Guild a more genuine feel while having a more relaxed feel at the same time. That way people who can't be excessively active can still be doing something.

This is why I support a sub-board for this. A single topic would only allow for the main plot, but having the various boards gives people freedom to do stuff outside of that.

Wariness aside, I am interested in this and would join in whenever possible. I think we'd need to sort out limitations re: magic powers (ie. it wouldn't make sense for anyone with outlawed magic to be part of the guild), but otherwise it's a pretty open concept that would allow for lots of flexibility and fun. =)

Okay, sort of giving this a bump just to... well... bump it up the board a bit.

Including Sem and I, I've counted a total of six people who have shown interest in this RP idea. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE! *cough* I mean, this is a good start, but it's not quite enough interest for me to warrant the making of the sub-board. I honestly don't want to go through the trouble of planning out all these jobs and overarcing plots if there aren't going to be people around to enjoy them.

That said, I think that six people is a good number of people who at least support the idea, and whoever else is interested can feel free to post in the thread. Even if, at this time, you know nothing about Fairy Tail, I encourage you to let me know you're interested and we can work it out. I would really like to see this take root.

Also: so that this post isn't ENTIRELY pointless, I've also been thinking about the inclusion of another thread:

Solo Jobs: I know, I said that I didn't really want to see any of these, but I gave it some thought and realized that it might make sense to include these. My reasoning being this: people who can't be active enough to participate in Job RPs but don't want to be confined to only posting in the common room: this will help them establish a character without worrying about killing an RP off. However, I'm going to set some limits on these as well.

Reasonable length - this means that I don't really want to see a fifteen chapter long epic about you destroying Zeref all by your lonesome, savvy?

No God-modding - as per the rules of RPing, since this is within the realm of an ongoing RP I don't want someone to be the all powerful lord of awesomeness who could take on the entire magic council with one arm tied behind their back. Use common sense, since obviously, being the people we are, we're going to be a bit Overpowered anyway, just don't go too far with it.

and lastly - PM me or Sem about solo job ideas - If you want to go on a solo mission, lonewolf style behind enemy lines with no food or water for a week; might as well make sure that it's all okay with the folks running the board, eh?

If it becomes something that just doesn't work, I may pull the plug on it, but I like the idea of people being able to participate in work without worrying about being purged from existence by other RPers who are sick of waiting on their posts. No one wants to be cooped up in the common room without seeing action, this will allow the less active of us to do just that while keeping everyone happy. AYE, SIR!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I personally like the idea of solo jobs quite a bit but do agree that there should be a limit on how indepth they'll get. Even if they may end up feeling like fanfics, is that so bad? It gives people a place to flesh out their characters while still tying it directly into the same universe. I was honestly wondering why they weren't being allowed in the first place, especially since Charming Town works like that to some degree... XD

Just an idea, but maybe instead of simply you and Sem picking the group jobs everyone involved could contribute ideas? That would take some of the load off you and make this feel more like an actual RP universe. Mind you, there would still be some level of control. People would PM their ideas to you/Sem/someone else trusted - whether they be for solo or group jobs - and then you could pick and choose which you wanted to post.

To take things step further... Maybe all jobs could be open to groups or individuals, but the determining factor of who could accept them would depend on the RPer's rank in the guild. Say for example that all low level jobs could be accepted by anyone - group or solo - but higher level jobs could only be accepted by a group or someone of a suitable rank. You could even have recommended amounts of people per job. Such recommendations wouldn't necessarily be set in stone, but it'd be another indication of job difficulty (especially when more or less than the recommended amount of characters were involved in it).

Just throwing out ideas. If anything sounds stupid feel free to change it/not use it/etc. :x

I still think this idea needs to happen, but I totally forgot to reply to this idea, Katie, my apologies XD I like the idea of people coming up with their own jobs to a certain degree, if the job is approved by someone like me or Sem or whoever.

I also like the idea of jobs being open to groups or solo, I would just want to enforce some sort of rule that there had to be so many group jobs to solo jobs, because if everyone goes on solo jobs, there isn't really a guild dynamic. That's the main reason I was thinking of separating solo and group jobs, so that there would be a good ratio of people in groups and people going solo. But the rank system would work well too.

EDIT: :(
(Fan-girl Speech begins) I have watched almost every episode of Fairy Tail and I have to say I am interested. I know what magic I could use and I know that we our Charms i suppose the word I am looking for is Persona or something along those lines. Anyway but yeah lets bring on our Charm Guild (I do hope we have an awesome Tattoo) (fan-girl Speech ends).