• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Stuff you're buying others for Christmas

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
We already have the greedy list topic for ourselves, so let's change gears. Who are you planning to buy for and, if you have ideas, what are you planning to buy?

This year is really going to suck for gift-giving. The only way I'll be able to buy my bro a game (like usual) is if it's cheap and/or used (might be able to swing a DS game if its one of the $34.99 titles). May just buy him a Wii point card if he doesn't already have one, tho. For my older sis, I'll probably end up getting her some random movie that she wants/hasn't bought yet. As for the littlest kiddies, they're easy to buy for. There are lots of cheap toys you can get that look more impressive than they actually are ^^

Then there's mom and her parents. Probably a CD for mom, and some random box of chocolates for my grandpa (but any sweets will do). My grandmother is tougher to buy for because she hates things that do nothing but take up space. A new duster maybe then? XD

I don't even want to think about exchanging gifts with friends (yes, I actually do have friends IRL :p). I'll probably just focus on my closest friends (the bestest best friends xP) unless others specifically ask to exchange gifts. One was recently married, so maybe something for both her and the hubby as well as an extra something just for her (hopefully something Buffy related ^^). Another recently had her first child, and I still haven't gotten anything for the baby @_@ So, baby gifty and possibly a book - she likes books ;p

Then there's Keri, but Keri is easy to buy for. Anything I would like, she'd like - so something Anime-ish, a video game, Joss Whedon related (SHE HATH BEEN CONVERTED! XD), etc. But Keri's more family than just a friend anyways, so my mom buys for her too... and her mom buys for me! They always give the best presents ^__^

Maybe this Christmas I'll actually get the stuff off that I bought for Alex LAST Christmas ;) *No, not playing favourites - I love you all, just can't buy for you all :(. During my China trip I found a cheap Chika toy and thought of Alex, so I bought it. It's still sitting quietly on my dresser waiting to be mailed off :O*

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Niiiice :)

I didn't realize they were making one. I already own the standard film on DVD, but extended editions are always better =o

How long is the extended movie compared to the original? If it's just added fight scenes, probably won't buy it. If there's other random things added, though, it's at least a definite rent.

Ive not even started buying my xmas gifts yet =S
The only thing I really have is a book for my dad which he already knows I have for him...

I will probably end up getting my brother and his fiance something edible as they are incredibly hard to buy for, nothing is ever good enough for my brother but i stopped caring years ago...
For my sister I will probably just get her cosmetics, not just cause she smells, but because I tend to have better taste in cosmetics and clothing than her so if I dont buy them for her first ill have to buy them with her in January...
My mother is fairly easy to please, if its fluffy and or cute she will love it.. Unfortunately ive given her plushes and gardening books for the past 7 or 8 years so I should probably avoid a plush this year... =S

I doubt I will be buying for many of my friends unless they tell me I have to get them something cause they're getting me something... Fortunately most of my friends tell me not to spend too much on them, so that is always a plus =)

Well im probably going to buy everybody pairs of clothse. Simple. And my Dad is buying me X-box 360 and X-box live. Thats pretty much it.

Nemesis

Former Administrator
Your not getting Battle Revolution on the 360 for Xmas then Charmander?

[size=1pt]No, I am not an idiot, he is[/size]

Nemesis

Former Administrator
Oh that's good then

[size=2pt]I can't believe this is the fifth time I've done this and he hasn't noticed. Hi to everyone out there in Nem Land![/size]

I don't know what I'm getting for any of my relatives other than my grandpa who gets some kind of liqueur every year. My friends get nothing unless they give me something.

[size=1pt]Stop making me laugh so hard Nemesis.[/size]

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I doubt I will be buying for many of my friends unless they tell me I have to get them something cause they're getting me something... Fortunately most of my friends tell me not to spend too much on them, so that is always a plus =)

Most of mine just tell me not to bother. That way, they don't need to feel obligated to spend extra money, and I don't need to spend anything on them. It's a mutual understanding ^^

Nemesis

Former Administrator
I don't want beer. I want Vodka. Anyone can buy Vodka. BTW, have you got Battle Revolution on the GBA yet?

[size=1pt]IDIOT[/size]

Nemesis

Former Administrator
Aw, you don't want to come to my house to drink vodka and play battle revolution GBA then?

[size=1pt]THEN I WILL MURDER YOU[/size]

Um...what's with the...small...comments? ???

Yeah, I'm confused...

Okay, so I don't really know what I'm getting the 'rents for Christmas/Hanukkah (we celebrate both)...they haven't really said anything. If we don't get Cars on DVD by the time they roll around, I might get that for them...sigh...they're hard to get things for! I really need to ask. I'll make them cards, though, unless I can't think of what to draw or I run out of time (it takes me an hour usually to make a card unless the drawings are really simple).

I'm not sure about which older cousin I'm getting a present for (we have a lottery, and it hasn't been drawn yet), but I'll just ask their mom or something. For the little ones, I'm going to get them each a stuffed animal or a book. They're easy to buy for. ^_^

For friends...well, my best friend (who lives here) usually gets me a manga and I get her one...but I'm not sure which. Usually I get her a new series that I know she doesn't have, so I might get her something like the first Boogiepop Dual (if she doesn't already have it), some random manwha (that isn't Angel Diary, Chocolat, or 11'th Cat), or something that is similar to Inuyasha, FMA, Naruto...I dunno. Rorouni Kenshin? RG Veda?

Either that or, if we actually get each other DS games, Pokemon Ranger...if I have the cash. ^_^;;

For my friend on the east coast, I think we're getting her a monogrammed fleece blanket and a Christmas-themed care package (she goes to boarding school now) and a letter-card. For my Canadian friend (sorry! Not any of you guys!), I'm sending her something US-related...dunno what and a letter-card. And for my Japanese friend, I'm sending her a card-in-letter format and a keychain (her birthday is the 23rd).

For my other friends, I'll buy them something or make them a card if they are buying me anything. If not, I'll bring candy canes to school and hand them out. That works pretty well. ^_^ I'm making my teachers cards, too.

Charmander, it's not good to rendezvous with people you don't know in real life. -_-;;

Oh, and back on topic...I might be getting my friends who live far away from me (who I have to MAIL gifts to...stupid postage prices) stuff from Stanford, since I'm going to visit it on a trip with my family before Christmas. Should I go with office supplies (notebooks, pens/pencils, erasers, etc.) or like...cheap clothing, or something novelty-ish? Useful things would probably be good...but if you went to a far-away college (with some prestige in the US), would you rather receive clothing or an ornamental thingy? And should I go with a general Stanford thing, or something from the museum on-campus or one of their famous landmarks?

...Does anybody even know anything about Stanford, here? There are a lot of people who don't live in the US, and I don't know if it's as famous overseas...

Nemesis

Former Administrator
Persian, it's fine. I'm not going to murder him.

[size=1pt]The hitman will[/size]

I live just around the corner, under the bridge.

I wonder how old you have to be before you fall into the "buy alcohol for at Christmas" range.

Not very old.. my friend has been giving me whisky every year since I was 14... Oh and i have friends that give me other illicit substances as presents too... Strange people >_>

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Oh, and back on topic...I might be getting my friends who live far away from me (who I have to MAIL gifts to...stupid postage prices) stuff from Stanford, since I'm going to visit it on a trip with my family before Christmas. Should I go with office supplies (notebooks, pens/pencils, erasers, etc.) or like...cheap clothing, or something novelty-ish? Useful things would probably be good...but if you went to a far-away college (with some prestige in the US), would you rather receive clothing or an ornamental thingy? And should I go with a general Stanford thing, or something from the museum on-campus or one of their famous landmarks?

...Does anybody even know anything about Stanford, here? There are a lot of people who don't live in the US, and I don't know if it's as famous overseas...

I've heard of the Stanford Prison Experiment, of course. But I didn't realise Stanford was the name of the university where the experiment was carried out. As far as famous US colleges go, I've heard of Harvard, Yale, MIT and various parts of the University of California (Berkeley, UCLA etc), as well as Wellesley... that's about it. And most colleges in Boston, because I know people who've been to or worked there.

I have to admit I'd consider it the height of tackiness to visit Oxford or Cambridge and send a friend stationery from there, but I'm a lot older than you and most of my friends have already been to university. I did send people Imperial College postcards while I was incarcerated there, but more ironically than anything else ("my god, I paid 50p for this monstrosity").

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
I've just done about that experiment in psychology...

I have no idea what I'm going to get for anybody for christmas, so knowing me, it's probably going to be some whizzed-off doodle with a festive gist to it. In fact, you'll probably all get e-mailed one for the hell of it. :p

For those who I can be bothered to buy something for, it'll probably involve fluffy socks.

Well, I my self am probably going to get a Nintendo DS for my sister, because she's always taking mine. And my sister and I are going to take a picture of ourselves, frame it and give it to my parents.