• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Streaming Websites and Legal Download Services

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Whether they be free, paid subscription, or pay-as-you-go (ie. Zune, iTunes Store), which streaming entertainment websites and online download services do you guys use? Only disclaimer here is that they must be legal services. Please no discussion about downloading torrents and such.

Anyways... Youtube is kinda the lord of free streaming, so I do use it for certain things. I also have paid memberships on Crunchyroll and Netflix. It's fun being able to watch Netflix on so many TVs around the house thanks to my Wii/PS3/360.

Last year I was also abusing the CBC website for a few of their hosted TV shows. Their ads are god awful, but it's nice being able to watch my choice shows for free. I don't have cable or satellite TV, so I take what I can get. :X

Finally, I bought/downloaded the third Pokemon movie on the iTunes Store last year simply because it was Pokemon, but the majority of my purchases from it are music related, not video.

Youtube for me, but I use Hulu every now and then to watch shows when Youtube keeps taking them down. Only problem is that Hulu has waaay more commercials and it takes more time to load.

Other than that, I rarely use Zune Marketplace to get an anime episode on my MP3 player. Yes I realize Ipods are better T_T

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
When it comes to video in the UK, you have two options: Youtube and the iPlayer. That's pretty much it. ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 all have their own online streaming services too, but unlike the iPlayer they all suck.

For music, I guess that Spotify is pretty much the dominator in that regard here. Y'know, outside of people who don't realise that iTunes is an awful program by an awful company.

I don't stream too much. Well from websites and whatnot I don't. I stream to my iPod from my computer the movies I've ripped there. I may use Pandora every now and then, but I usually just listen to my own music. I may also watch South Park on their site, but again, not that often.

As for non-media downloading, I just get it from the site usually (software). For Linux, I use Bittorrent to get it from them. The distros prefer it so it's not so taxing on their end, and I can give back by seeding and making it faster for others to get the OS. (Yes, this is legal. Most distros have torrent downloads on their site for the torrent. Plus, it's the content that can make torrenting illegal, not the service itself)