• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed Steven Universe RP (?)

Wow, I leave for a second, then BAM! Discussions! (Though to be fair, it was more like hours... XD Oopsies.)

I'm ay-okay with Australia. Everyone else agreed? Cuz I'm cool with it.

Too the booooooooard

Also, we are landing close, but enough that we have to take a few posts to describe our meeting point?

Last edited:
We'll all land in similar locations. The coordinate tracking system of the ship was being tampered with, so there's no way to guarantee that we all landed immediately next to eachother, but we all landed within a certain radius of the coordinates put in by Psilo herself, chosen by the Diamonds themselves.

As for descriptions... uh... I gotta think about that. XD

My post might have to wait a bit. Not sure about all of you, but it's approaching 1:00 AM where I live, so I (somewhat begrudgingly) have to go fulfill my "sleeping quota". Besides, I prefer seeing the details set in motion before I make any posts. Might be something to work with when I get back.

Still, glad to see we all agreed on Australia.

Kay, have fun with that whole sleep dealio. I'm gonna get a post started in a bit; there's something else that I've gotta do that may take a while first, but I'll get it done.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Australia.gif

</Obligatory>​

lol ^^

Just a quick FYI, I won't be very active this weekend. I'm going out with my family early this morning and coming back at some point tomorrow. Not sure if I'll be able to, but I'll try to post before I leave. Sorry if this messes anything up! :'|:'|

Also, have you guys noticed the other su RP? It looks nice, just a bit unorganized.

Edit: I'll be making some more edits to White Sapphire soon, just like, a couple minor appearance changes and the such.
I'm probably gonna attempt to describe them, as I cannot draw. Also, Fun with future vision™

Last edited:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
It is generally a lot more acceptable to describe characters using words than to take the lazy way out using images - especially when said images are drawn by other people and used without permission. The amount of times I had to punch people for doing that is legendary. Also the other SU RP is an absolute trainwreck from what I've seen of it - but apparently no flagrant rule breaking happened (or was reported) there, so It can continue trainwrecking in peace. XP

Now. I've been having some thoughts about this one. Not in a way of criticism or nitpicking or anything like that, but out of general curiosity, here's a few things that I've been wondering about regarding the composition of this gem party - namely the functions and hierarchical positions of some of them and a few things that seem a bit off from the perspective of... what we know of Gems, really. So, yeah, If this gives you some points for thought and character development, so much the better - but you can fully disregard this if you want. These are just my thoughts and ponderances.

Let's start with White Sapphire for example, Corundum Conundrum that he is. His gem type appears to be an intermediate of sorts between a Ruby (a mass-produced, rank-and-file soldier, geared for close combat) and a Sapphire (a minor aristocrat type designed as an advisor capable of seeing possible futures and advising a Diamond of potential occurrences to be planned for). From his description, it sounds like he and his type were created to serve as some kind of VIP Security for the Diamonds themselves - clearly above the average Ruby, but not exactly a Mega Ultra Elite. How is it, then, that out of this entire group, he is the only one who has a clue what your mission is - especially when it's a mission about the Cluster, which is something that most gems not directly involved with would not even know about? Remember - Peridot had no knowledge of the Rebellion or the existence of the last few remaining Crystal Gems, and we can only assume that she was told about the Kindergarten and the Cluster/Fusion Experiments and no more than that - and only because she was a technician type sent to actually check on the thing.

... So if the mission is really to check on the Cluster, why would the only actual technician type (in this case Psilomelane, who is a 'prototype' for a replacement Peridot apparently - makes sense considering resources in Homeworld are strained, 'new age' Peridots get skimped on in terms of material, and new experimental gems seem to be popping out of the woodwork. Probably why a prototype was kept around to begin with) in this ship for some reason entirely full of warriors and nothing but, not be told? She's the only one actually qualified to check on the Cluster!

This is even further complicated by the presence of a gem that is supposedly considered an "Elite" - who has no clue what is going on and appears to be little more than a pile of un-contained rage who seems to need to yell at everyone around her to make herself feel superior. Which, if you ask me, sounds a hell of a lot like the act of someone who is not confident of their superiority. And after all, why should she be? She's not even a real Quartz.

Err, let me explain. Goldstone, you see, is not actually a mineral or a natural material at all. It is, in fact, a type of glittering glass infused with metal. And yes, you can argue that chemically speaking, glass and quartz are made of the same type of silicates, but in a different state of being - but then again, if Ruby and Sapphire which are the same bloody mineral are so different in terms of the gems they generate just on account of their inclusions, something with a completely different crystalline structure would probably create a very different gem. So, here you have this Quartz Elite who is, perhaps, more artificial than usual. Would that put extra pressure on her to perform? Has she somehow clawed her way up to a higher spot on the hierarchy than she normally would have held and she still feels undeserving of it? Or is she just plain mental?

... AND SPEAKING OF MENTAL, Maw Sit Sit. Oh boy. Where to begin?

The Diamonds are not big on individuality. The Diamonds are not big on anything not operating precisely according to the specifications of its manufacture, and they are not merciful creatures. A 'flawed', 'defective' gem - or one that steps so much as a centimeter out of line - would be shattered immediately, no questions asked. Probably harvested for raw materials and recycled too. "But Stel," I hear you cry "You said it yourself - Raw materials are becoming scarce!" ... Yes, well, that would hold if the order to recover Maw Sit Sit from her idyllic confused puppy life on Earth wasn't sent by Pink Diamond Herself, back when she was still a thing - which was BEFORE gems were running that low on resources.

So riddle me this, riddle me that, what in the name of the Great Diamond Authority is so special about THIS particular Maw Sit Sit, for an actual diamond - who can order the creation of many others like it - to have it recovered and let it continue living in spite of it having forgotten its purpose? Not to mention the fact the Earth Kindergartens were made to grow Quartzes... and Maw Sit Sit is not a quartz of any definition. Sounds to me like there has to be more to this Gem than meets the eye - but what that is? I leave that for her RPer to figure out.

But yes. Six gems, non of which are exactly standard, shoved on a ship to Earth and given a mission... possibly.... it gets all fuzzy when you look at it. If the Diamonds didn't shatter flawed gems at their own whimsy, I'd say they were trying to send a bunch of misfits to their death away from the empire with a 'mission' as an excuse only. Or possibly to test the resilience of the corruptions. Or something like that. But hey, it could be the Diamonds are playing this straight. They aren't exactly known to deceive the rank and file, except when they wipe Pink Diamond and Rebellion off the record except for gems who were there, of course.

Otherwise, nothing else screams to mind in particular. Again, these are just my musings. XD

Never before have I seen someone that was this into Steven Universe. Makes me feel like I need to do waaaaay more research, and I certainly will XD In fact, thanks a million! :):up:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I kind of have a tendency to obsess over world building and trying to figure out creative solutions for discrepancies like that. So I tend to research the hell out of things when I get really into a series - and SU sort of hit all the right spots for me when I got into it. ^^

That's the kind of detail I'm striving to achieve, right there.

Beryl is a character I created around halfway through Season 1 (started watching it on request of a friend), and I got into it enough to try my hand at a Gem. But due to using Tumblr a lot, I kind of knew just enough of the later parts to know what to avoid. And now that I'm fully caught up on the show (thoughts on Last One out of Beach City?), I'm confident that I managed to craft a decent enough character with the info I had knowledge of (unless you can see any short-comings or such with her). My decision to make her warrior/ bodyguard-type Gem was just what I thought fit the profile I'd come up with.

Yet, I'm already thinking of possible routes to develop her character in. She's a character I want to add more to; more context to her previous experiences, and how she could progress to make her more of an independently thinking Gem (since, as of right now, she's got the "mission is all that matters" way of thinking, albeit being quite curious about some things). Much like Pearl did in canon, I can see her developing skills and interests outside of her initial purpose as one example of growth.

I dunno, still working on it :).

And yeah, I can understand obsessing over world building, especially when it comes to something like SU. I'll admit I've gotten way more into it than I thought I would when I sat down to watch the first episode.

Last edited:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
SU has a tendency to sneak up on you like that, doesn't it? I didn't think much of it when it first surfaced - not enough to look into it seriously. Then On The Run happened and it was like wait, are those Injectors modeled after -BACTERIOPHAGES-?!

My biology nerd side took over, I got into watching the series... and I've been nerding out over it ever since. It's just so good. I love the balance between episodes focusing on gem things and episodes focusing on human things - because Steven being Gem AND Human is one of the main themes of the series. The cast of characters is absolutely lovely - they're all very deep and interesting as hell, the VAs are glorious... and yeah. There's just so much depth to this world. That's one of the reasons I got into this RP as well. ^^

I'm certainly curious to see where Beryl is going. ^^

Yah, like I said, this is my first SU character. I just... Forget this kind of stuff from time to time.

If I ever mess up too much, tell me and I'll... Improve or find some way out of the RP. Thank you.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Hey, no worries. I'm still in process of revamping one of my early SU characters because while I absolutely love her story, she doesn't -quite- match up-to-date canons XD

Forging a good, compelling, interesting character takes time and often research. Half-assing things to 'get things moving' certainly has its place - but then you can, for example, take what you have and develop it over time in a manner that explains why it works the way it does. Sometimes a character or a story takes several iterations to work out - and that's absolutely fine too! Personally, I find it one of the fun parts about writing and development - at least to me. Cutting a rough gem into a brilliant form, to coin a phrase. ^^

@StellarWind Elsydeon

I've never been so informed. I feel a little hurt about how My gem. But again, all you said was true. I originally wanted to be an Quartz Solder like Amethyst, and Jasper. If I was a Jasper, I'd probably be weeker than Jasper, her being the Ultimate Quartz, if I was an Amethyst, I would not have been "An Overcooked Runt!" But I would be like the hundreds of other Amethyst soldier. I have a brother 3 years older than me. (Well stepbrother) He obsessed with SU more than me. He created his own gemsona. A Fire Opal, who stared off on the Planet Venus, and used some sort of space pod to take her back. But Diamond's are in charge of thier own star system Pink Diamond (for some reason) only had the earth, while the other Diamonds owned multiple planets. I thought his idea was far fetched, so I made my own JemSona. Originaly I wad going to be an Amethyst, but I decided not to be, and So I became a Blue Goldstone. Then I created a stupid story about Goldstone being in the war, blah blah blah. Finally I wanted to use her in an RP, after deciding not to use an Amethyst. So came Blue Goldstone.

Maybe a year ago, I wanted to create a SU RP. But the problem was, that I had no Ideas whatsoever. Then @Hisseki came along, then created his own SU RP. It was "Out of this World!" I couldn't of done better, so I decided to join.

First one out if Beach City, was awesome. Somehow I felt as if Pearl was in some Movie at first, that's when the last 10 seconds of the show were Credits. Then I actually lost it. But other than that It was an Awesome Episode.

I was watching a SU marathon about the Cluster. "It could if Been Great" was showing. Thats when I realized that Peridot mentioned the Beta kindergarten. (Well not exactly) but she did mention thier being two Kindergartens. Then I watched Beta.

I don't know why Amethyst a nd Steven are surprised. Most Likely the fact that, Jasper came from thier. (Or they weren't listening to Peridot, when she mentioned the two Kindergartens. )

That's all I have.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Like I said - it all comes down to doing some research before you actually create a character. ^^ But yeah. To be fair, we are fairly early on in the RP, and few of these characters have yet to have a chance to really develop. It would definitely be interesting to see where Blue Goldstone goes too, if she can stop yelling at everyone for just a few minutes. XD

And re: the Beta/Earthlings arc, I think that they were surprised that Jasper was created on Earth rather than there being a Beta Kindergarten in general.

Oh god, I just feel like I'm messing up this entire thing with my limited knowledge of the series and show in general. :'|:'| I'm super sorry about my character... Should I drop this one?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Again - none of my points from earlier were meant to be "Your Characters Are Bad And You Should Feel Bad" at all. More of a "Here are some things to think about in light of what we know of the series - now it's your turn to work with these and make these off-model characters interesting by developing them". It's up to you, really! Like I said, there could be something interesting behind why Maw Sit Sit is the way she is and why she was allowed to continue existing - but that's up to you to figure it out. ^^

Incidentally - I may love my obscure rocks, but I wasn't aware Maw Sit Sit was actually a thing until you created the character, so I should thank you for introducing me to another nifty green mineral there. ^^

Well, I'll come up with something interesting! I just need some time. Lol

Haha, no problem, I guess! I literally just looked up "unusual gemstones" on google and found a top 10 list or something along those lines, so... xD

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Take all the time you need - as you've probably seen while watching the series (at whatever pace you do), even the official characters take a while to unfurl and develop. That's part of the fun of it all! ^^

Not sure if my gemsona not getting includedin stellar's little list of flaws is a good thing or a bad thing.....

Honestly Cinnabar is one of those who if it wasn't for one thing you'd forget that he is even around, that thing being the increased heat around him

But I do plan on making him more noticeable as we go, you know, break his Anti-Social shell

Don't forget, they is a real way to change characters, atleast thier designs, in the canon. If the gem can't shapeshift, mine for example, poofing is always an answer.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Honestly. Cinnabar doesn't have enough substance at the moment to critique. He appeared all of once? Twice? And was just /there/. The bio seems to suggest another average run of the mill stoic antisocial magical edgelord warrior of the kind twelve year olds seem to think is the coolest ever and the internet is thus absolutely inundated with - but honestly that stereotype can work with a gem - and provided you do develop him it's not that big a deal. XD

Also, I don't think poofing a gem can lead to too dramatic a change in appearance. The Crystal Gems resumed the same appearance with subtle colorswaps/outfit swaps and Peridot did not change at all.

Last edited:
Well, I dunno if I'm helping by saying this, but Amethyst could change her appearance through poofing. She did it a few times if I recall correctly, though they were temporary changes (Like having one large arm and leg, or looking similar to Pearl.) But this was Amethyst, and this was all in one episode I believe. I don't know, I can't remember. :/ Garnet didn't seem to like it when she did that, so maybe it's bad for a reason? Idk.

The episode was called Reformed. Amethyst didnt want to think of herself, and wanted to make Garnet Happy, with what she chose. Steven pointed this out, while Amethyst was fighting the slinker.

Of course I didn't mean cool pallets or anything, maybe a hairstyle design or something. I really haven't described White more than he looks like a white Ruby, so...

Of course, he still has the same body shape and outfit that we have seen in Armie, Leggy and Eyeball. The boots and the large parts on the sides of the main torso are a pastel grey, with a darker grey for the shorts and the stripes leading into the blue diamond in the center. His main body is pure white. His gemstone has a pentagonal cut, similar to Rose Quartz, with a, of course, white colorization. If not for the color scheme, the hair is the driving difference between them and rubies. Instead of an afro, a more flowing design is included, with much smaller hair that covers the one eye unique to all Sapphire.

Hope that improves visualization a bit.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, Reformed - When Amethyst tried to form into something far bigger and 'stronger' than she would normally be capable of (and ended up being a bit of a malformed mess) Garnet mentioned that her form was 'unsustainable' - which is proven true when her one Hella Buff arm "deflates" not too long after. In another episode (Steven's Birthday), Steven attempts to stretch himself out and it takes quite a bit of effort. Amethyst tells him that he could seriously harm himself if he 'stretches himself out like that' for too long, as well. I think it's safe to assume that each gem has a certain limit on the amount of energy it can put out to project a physical form, and attempting to put more energy into the form than you have for a prolonged period of time or stretching out your projection beyond a reasonable scale might be harmful.

This may be the reason that most gems don't generally shapeshift all that much even though they can - though I'd say that another part of that would be the fact that most of them find the form they 'emerged' with to be the 'optimal' form for their role. Notable exceptions are Amethyst (who shapeshifts a LOT and seems to enjoy it, but then she also did not have the indoctrination of the diamonds enforced upon her and she's not particularly fond of her 'natural' form as she has this huge complex about not being what she was 'supposed' to be) and Bismuth (who shapeshifts her hands into hammers as her 'weapon' - if one can call it that, what with her being a constructor gem and all).

In case you wonder why Tanzanite stated she hasn't used her "natural" form for very long - my in-universe explanation for this was that her and her general class of gems were designed for maximum adaptability. In the same way that Lapis Lazuli doesn't have a 'weapon' - her weapon is her ridiculous hydrokinesis abilities - Tanzanite's "weapon" is her form fluidity and shapeshifting. She has greater energy reserves available than she normally uses - which may or may not explain her glowy markings (though to be fair, I put these in place because I like weird bio-luminescence, so these may be unrelated).

Also, here's an elaboration on his "future vision":

Unlike canon Sapphire (and by expansion, Garnet and Sardonyx, probably not Sugulite), who's vision seems to be seemingly endless, but shows all paths, White Sapphire has a future vision that can go out by only 30 minutes or so, but only shows two paths. Somehow, it works best in battle, when he (quoting Amethyst) "just has to go with it".

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
So basically a sort of quick glimpse ahead to aid in making a split-second decision in order to make the next move a bit more optimal. I like it. It's a boost, but not something that can be abused, particularly because there's a lot of different ways a moment can go (certainly more than two), and getting too distracted by future vision navel gazing can be distracting. Improve chances, not hax. Nice.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Friendly reminder to Post Int Herp. XD
I believe Blu Ace, ~Principessa_Phantom~ and Lord of Pain need to post - unless Hisseki and Nateriety want to continue the actual interaction going on?

Bah, I almost forgot about this! XD Sorry, things have been happening, and I'm trying to keep track. I'll wait for a bit to see if the previously listed people post, but if they don't by tomorrow afternoon in my timezone, then I'll post. :p

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Well, yes. And I intend to make sure to keep it not dead to the best of my ability regardless of the tendency of most people on the internet to sort of start a million RPs then move on to the next shiny thing within a few days. XP