• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

StellarWind's Sketches

Awright! I've wanted to post on this thread for ages, just wasnt sure if I would have been grave digging though ^_^;;

But back to topic, I really admire your Pokemon Biology, I find myself occasionly googling 'pokemon anatomy', but to no avvail T.T

But yeah, very nice drawings, that Drapion looks very imposing.
Hope to see more!

~Slink

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
IT LIVES.

SurskitMasquerain.jpg

I love these things. Well, I love Masquerain. Surskit is frustration a-la mode and a cup of tea.

But anyway. I took some artistic liberties with the design. After all, Surskit is little more than a ball with legs officially. Very gen 2. >>; I was actually looking into pond skaters in search of reference re: Surskit and realized the thing was nothing like a pondskater - it's too damn ROUND. which lead me to see it as curled like some kind of isopod.

Surskit is capable of walking on water due to a combination of light weight distributed evenly along four long specialized legs tipped with glands that secrete an oil that allows them to walk on the surface of water without breaking the surface tension.

Surskits feed primarily on micro-organisms in the water of the ponds they live in. To do so, they dip their proboscis into the water and suck water into it. The water is passed through a filter-like tissue, leaving the micro-organisms within while expelling the water at high pressure from their bodies. Surskit are also known for secreting a form of honeydew from the tip of the 'spout' on their backs. It is believed that they use this substance to draw their microscopic prey nearer to them, but they have been known to utilize their honeydew as a defensive measure.

Upon evolution, Masquerain's specialized limbs transform into wings which allow it to hover and fly around. They possess large antennae similar to some species of terran moths - these antennae are largely used in the detection of pheromones - and thanks to the eye-spots on them, for intimidation of foes. Masquerain are for the most part predators, utilizing the wind as their primary weapon - after stunning potential prey with gusts of wind (or rarely a jet of water) they will grab hold of it with their smaller forelimbs and proceed to eat it.

[size=8pt]...
:O
Those are some good looking insects.
The Surskit is eerily endearing, and I love the eyes on both of them.
The interpretations are great, and I like how you kept the horn-like growth on Masquerain's head.
I wonder why I never commented on these before.. :/
Overall, these are really great, and I like how you use modern science to explain the abilities common in the species. Except maybe Vespiquen. But she cheats life anyway :3[/size]

WHOA....
Those last 2 drawings are really good!
Well, if I came across either one in the wild I'd probably freak out and start running for my life, haha, but that's besides the point.
They look super realistic and I especially love your rendition of Masquerain. Great work, StellarWind!

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I love your Dustox, much less crap than the original ;).

I think I'd like to see your Masquerain coloured. But Surskit scares me. (Not that you don't regularly get comments from people used to the Sugimori cutesy art saying "eeek, your $pokemon scares me" :D).

Aerodynamically, Vespiquen is not supposed to be able to fly. However, being the Carrier-Overlord hybrid monstrosity she is, she quite blatantly told the laws of physics to, well, buzz off.

Interesting how Vespiquen and her real-world counterpart defy the laws of physic by being able to fly despite lacking an aerodynamic design.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Interesting how that is a well known fact and you posting it just to sound smart makes me want to dragon-kick your posterior into the milky way.

Interesting how bees don't actually defy the laws of physics, that's just an urban myth.

I really like your take on Masquerain, Stel; taking such a blah design and making it interesting takes some doing.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
*Ressurect*

Bloody hell. I don't post nearly enough art around here.

Here goes - moar new stuff:

Random_Grass_Types_Of_Randomness.jpg

Random grass-types. Without reference so they look random.

Jinkies.jpg

Jynx. About time I drew my own rendition of the bloody Shoop Princess.

Bulbasaur_Line.jpg

The Bulbasaur Line

CharmanderLine.jpg

The Charmander Line

PokemonDoodles.jpg

Assorted PokéMon sketches. And a friggin' Dialga. XD

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG I want that Charizard now!! Wow, the Bulbasaur line now makes it look like a proper dinosaur. Awesome drawings Stel. ^^ (Oh, and that Jynx is SCARY!)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I think I'd shit myself if I ever actually saw a tortoise walking around with cannons on its back.

Yup... definitely.

Also, you know your style for Pokemon doesn't do it for me most of the time - though it's still great art, nonetheless - but Stel!Dialga FTW.

I LOVE your take on starters (I think your Treecko has too big of a tail, but that's just me) I also love the Absol. I'm so excited to see what comes next I ignore everyone's comments and look at the art (hope that doesn't land me in trouble). I love Breloom and I think he's underappreciated. I'm going to have to disagree with you on one thing though, I love Sceptile dammit!

Woah, nice. Personally, I think the first sketch with all those grass pokemon in it is awesome.
The captions made me laugh uncontrollably for a couple minutes. ;D

The small torchic also caught my eye. The crecent suits it perfectly.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
CaterpieLine.jpg

Bugs are deceptively hard to draw. Caterpie is a curious mish-mash of swallowtail larvae of at least three different kinds, Metapod is a swallowtail pupa with eye markings, and Butterfree does not entirely resemble what it's supposed to be because I was trying to make it look more actual-butterfly like.

And ended up with a swallowFAIL.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Hmph. Guess no one likes Caterpies. CATERPIES NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU, EH. WELL. FINE.

CuteAndCuddlyMyArse.jpg

Have a Mawile instead. Oh, I'm sorry, didn't you know? Mawile are carnivorous and that jaw-like pincer horn isn't just for show. Not so cute and cuddly now, is it? >>

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
*Hugs the cute Mawile*

Wanna bet?

I still say that Mawile has samurai-esque pants, or at least fur growth. Your thing scares me somewhat xD It is a good drawing though.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
... You know, not only this is an irrelevant question, in the wrong forum, It's also in MY thread.

That alone pisses me off enough to n00b you on sight. Be thankful. A few months ago, it would have been a ban.

That she does.

I've always loved the Turtwig designs and your Roserade is quite nymph-like I think. I love it. :D

Administrational Edit: Call Gardenia a Grass-type Misty again and I'm going to recycle you. >>;

Edit2: lol removed comment.

Goodness your art is amazable. I love all of it, especially your take on Turtwig, it actually looks like a turtle verses... an acorn with legs and a balloon head (D:). All your stuff gives me an idea what Pokemon would actually look like in real life, and some I don't want. (Jynx, basically all bugs...) Great work!

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Oh, wow... Stel, I can't believe I haven't commented here yet!

Anyways, I really think the Turtwig is, like, so cool! I personally think it's cuter than the Sugimori art thingie and its sprite, if you know what I mean. And the Roserade is just... wow.

And that Mawile is so awesome as well. I say epic. ^^

I really need to comment here... your artwork blows me away! Your designs have a very good handle on biological aspects and most of them look like they are even possible to exist in the real world. I bow in the presence of greatness. ^^

Wow. Amazing. Incredible. Fantabulous. Fabulous. Fantasic. Super. Swell. Nifty. I've just about run out of single word compliments. The art is amazing. I love the biological touch on things, and hope to see more. I like the Cradilly alot, the way the vine-thingys are around it's head make it look like it's screaming. Somethin' about the way the fake eyes were drawn made it even funnier. Great. Superb. Awesome. (Okai, I'm done.)

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
ZOMG, IT'S A SWARM OF DEOXYS.

DeoxysSwarm.jpg

Deoxys are complex silicon-based entities. Their crystalline core functions as a crystal lattice computer, capable of sentient thought, learning and internal alteration as well as rather powerful psychokinetic abilities.

Deoxys travel the far reaches of space with their crystalline core in a dormant state, encased in rock. They drift through the void in search of planets which possess some form of life, then 'home in' on them and travel in their direction using their psychokinetic abilities as a manner of boosted propulsion. Upon crash-landing onto the planet, the Deoxys core scans the planet, reading the DNA of lifeforms and encoding it into its own crystal matrix. Using these DNA patterns, it synthesizes itself a body out of some form of bio-polymer (the base elements for the generation of which already exist within the Deoxys Core). This body serves both the function of protecting the core and providing the Deoxys with a body that is relatively well-suited for handling its environment. Provided the central core is undamaged, a Deoxys can reconfigure its 'body' to suit its needs - from altering its form to completely dissolving and absorbing it.

Theoretically, so long as the central core is intact and undamaged, a Deoxys may live for a very long time, if not forever. Deoxys however does require some form of energy to power itself. A Deoxys that is running low on energy will absorb its body and enter a state of 'stasis lock' - hibernation of sorts. It has been shown that exposure to focused bursts of laser can revive a stasis-locked Deoxys, and that even Deoxys in this "power saver" mode can reach out telepahtically and communicate with other lifeforms - or even call out to their own kind within an interplanetary range.

Even though PokéMon world Deoxys often display one of four 'Formes'(Attack, Defense, Speed and Neutral), it occurs to me that perhaps on different world, Deoxys would assume different Formes. This picture features two more "Formes".

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Whoa, Stel. That's like, soo cool. I can't really tell which Deoxys would be suitable for what type of life, besides the already known ones in the Pokemon world. I like the one that's head is forth from the top, if you get what I mean.

Terrific job overall. Really. ^^

COOOOooool. I've never really liked Deoxys before but... those look awesome. The plantish looking one (behind Speed and your other new one) looks kinda like it could be on Star Trek *mob'd*. I also like your other one, the tail things look like they could grab/kill something.​

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Meh, I haven't commented here for ages. Too much life, not enough forum time.

I love the random grass-types, especially the "WTF happened?" Bellossom. The drawings of the Bellsprout line are particularly well-done and look fine to me despite the lack of reference, and I like your version of Vileplume better than the original. Showing the Leaf Stone and Sun Stone is a nice touch. The only question I have is who the disembodied lizard head at the top is?

Your Jynx is terrifying, yet better than the original. Though I am scared by the Magnemite's line of sight... NEXT!

You already know I love your Bulbasaur line and Squirtle line. With the Charmander line, Charmander is unbelievably cute (sleeping!) and I think Charmeleon looks nifty, but I don't like that version of Charizard. Mind you, I don't much like the official version either.

I am amused by your Combee with the different faces. Meganium rocks. I confess to not recognising the rather cute bird in the middle, though.

I love your version of Metapod as an actual creature - far better than the original artwork. All of the Caterpie line are way better and more realistic as biological creatures than the cutesy official art, but Caterpie itself scares me. Too many legs, too big. I don't really have a bug phobia except of Peruvian centipedes (which are FAR BIGGER THAN INSECTS SHOULD BE), and I suspect this is the problem with Caterpie. At the size of a real caterpillar, I'd find it pretty. At the size the Pokemon is supposed to be? I'd find it terrifying!

I've never found Mawile cute with its big scary head, and your version is about what I think of it as.

Have no real comment on Gardenia other than to say that you're way, way better at drawing creatures than people, which you already know. I can't give constructive criticism properly because I can't draw and don't know the right terminology, but I think there's something wrong with the angle of her hips/bottom/legs and the shape or proportions of her boots. (That was useless, wasn't it?). I don't know whether you already use those guides for drawing people of different ethnicities which exist on DeviantArt? I've forgotten who made them but they're extremely detailed. To find the link I'd have to venture back into the Sims forums which scares me a lot, but maybe someone else here will know?

The creatures and log in the Gardenia picture are of course fantastic :).

And I agree with Rayn about Deoxys. "I've never really liked Deoxys before but... those look awesome."

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Shiny: Core Forme (the small metroidy floaty one) was apparently designed to provide maximal protection to the core while being small, lightweight and adapted for propulsion via psychokinesis. Possibly a low gravity world, or a mostly waterbound one. The other new Forme (the one with the wings charging up some kind of an attack in its claws) is special-stats (Spec. Attack and Spec. Defense based).

HL: Comments from you are always appreciated. ^^

The disembodied dinosaur head on the grass type picture ("Gen 2! Whoo!" "WTF?") is not related to anything whatsoever - this thing was drawn on a sketchbook page that already had the dinosaur head on it. Kess defining the little spiky points facing forward out of the eyebrows of an Albertosaurus as 'flags' made me draw a random cartoony Albertosaurus head with an actual 'BANG!' flag poking out of that location on the eye-ridges. ^^;

The Magnemite is just as terrified by the walking cleavage. Let's not even mention Jynx using Flash, hm?

Re: Charizard, (shrugs) Each to their own. Personally I frelling love it. Pulling off this pose was a walking hell on three wheels, and... yeah. Each to their own. XP

The 'rather cute bird' is my rendition of Torchic. With Treecko and Mudkip already being there, I figured I might as well do all the Hoenn starters.

I'll refrain from commenting on Gardenia. I personally think that I'm rather improving with humans, although you are right - creatures have always been my stronger suite. Something is off about the lineart, but it's hardly the boots. Her boots ARE this b0rked. As for the hips... this pose is a serious bitch to do. Of course to me anything except for simple 3/4 views and side views is a serious bitch to do so I guess that's no excuse. Meh.

Re: the guides you refer to, I know of them and I do not refer to them for the simple reason that I draw ANIME people, and ethnicities are EXTREMELY moot when anime-style is concerned. EXTREMELY.

For the record, a colored version of the Gardenia pic (as colored by the immensely talented Irene, yay for collabs!) now exists on my dA gallery.

But enough chit-chat. I haven't been drawing anything really serious lately, so here's a bunch of completely EFFing random doodles.

Insane_PokeMon_Doodlage_by_StellarW.jpg

GLORY BE TO METAFLOON.

StellarWind, these doodles (if you must call them that, they deserve a better name) are very good. I like the bit with the denture-wearing Rayquaza. To me, Pokemon in the anime should be seen aging occasionally. The only aging Pokemon I've seen is Tracey's Scyther.

The colored Gardenia blew me away! I loved the on the Turtwig's back, and the roundness of the Cherubi. Thank you for enhancing Pokecharms with your work.

Minor Edit: The Super-Ancient PokéMon of the Air is severely offended by being called a mere Charizard, Secad. You have just brought seven years of really boring weather upon yourself. xD

Secad Edit:
I'm sorry about offending the Super-Ancient Pokemon of the Air. Please forgive me. I guess my vision's off. Please forgive me StellarWind!

That sketch-doodle page makes me happy. Deoxys doing the cane and hat dance (for lack of better phrase...) just makes me happy. Old Rayquaza is awesome, even though I kinda imagine those being immortal (or at least darn near it). Trampinch vs. Gible FITE! (Or scream...) They're both heads with limbs and evolve into the same typing lolololol.
Chainsaw Rotom is probably too violent for a kid's game... but then again, there's some crazy, crazy crap out there.​

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
With Rayquaza, Groudon and Kaiorga always being referred to as the 'Super-Ancient PokéMon' I can't help but imagine them sitting there in some old folks' home complaining about the world being better at their time, and the young gen4 whippersnappers of today with their type split and their armless-god-complex'd Kirin freaks and their dimensional anomalies and their plates and their... (trails off) XD

Awesome work Stel! At first I couldn't tell what Rayquaza was, cuz I didn't see the ring things. My favorite is probably the Giratina saying "Fuck off" to Arceus. Priceless.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Just a final announcement before I blast off...

My art is still around on my dA gallery, a link to which is available in an earlier post.

That is all.

(Turns off the light, locks the door and vanishes into the darkest reaches of cyberspace.)

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
IT LIVES. THE THREAD EFFING LIIIIIIIIIIVES.

Okay. Not a sketch, so probably shouldn't be here. But I'm proud of it enough to post it.

Say hello to Deoxys Guardian Forme!

DeoxysGuardianForme.jpg