• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

StarCraft II LIVES! (And it's about bloody time)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I know I'm not the only one around here who's been waiting for ages to hear this news.

If you haven't seen the website yet and you're a past SC fan, you must: http://www.starcraft2.com

And also check out this demo video (straight from the website as far as I know):
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Yeah, that demo video is filled with awesomeness, so I hope most of it stays true for the finished game. I can't wait to see more info on the new units, upgrades, and features included it, too. As cool as it is seeing some Protoss units in detail on the website, where's my in depth Zerg info? :p

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Woo?

It's a pity that with C&C being revived, and StarCraft apparently being revived, that Age Of Empires, which is clearly the best RTS, gets a sucky-assed third game and no sign of a proper sequel to AOE 2.... :(

(Although Ensemble Studios ARE developing HALO Wars...>_>)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Meh. AoE didn't interest me all that much, so say what you will. A lot of people fell in love with StarCraft because of the universe and story itself, so it's not really fair to compare them on that level.

It's the same this time 'round, too. Regardless of how ZOMG the gameplay is, or how awesome BattleNet will be for this, most players just want to know what HAPPENS :p

Any cool upgrades are well welcome, though ;D

This message on 4chan pretty much sums up what I think about the whole thing.

may19.jpg

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, but that's 4chan's response to anything.

Seriously. StarCraft IS one of the most influential titles of the genre, and one of the best titles of it - and that is something that cannot be denied, whether you like it or not.

Indeed, if StarCraft didn't have its awesome, complex universe, its races, its plot and some of the most awesome characters ever spawned in a game, I doubt it would have stood the test of time as much as it does. That and Battle.Net - although I can't talk much about that, since I'm /really/ not a multiplayer person. And with teh fucking cliffhanger they left us with at the end of Brood War...

Hell. It's about time there was a sequel.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
StarCraft also doesn't take itself seriously. Oh yeah, it'd have the cheesy epic music and dramatic scene, but then they'd shatter the atmosphere by inserting something silly. Intro to Brood War anyone?

I can't really get why anyone would bash StarCraft to be honest, but that's life. *Shrugs* The game deserved all the awards it won, and it won't surprise me if this sequel wins several more. It's about time Blizzard pulled its head out of WoW for a second to work on something else.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I did not know about this Korea thing... and now, I am deeply disturbed o.O

It's just not healthy to be that obsessed with a PC game, even if it is one I loved :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
That's nothing new, though. Several people have been reported dying from gaming obsessively like that, usually from MMORPGS... but not always. Its happened in the US a few times now.

And what does that have to do with Korea on a whole? o.O

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
If that's supposed to be the origin of the joke... Yeah. Guess I missed the punchline :p

And it still doesn't answer my question about this so-called obsession Korea has with SC...

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
That article does include a brief mention of online gaming being considered a sport in Korea, so yeah. :p

But, Online tournaments of StarCraft ARE regarded as a sport in Korea, and in fact, there are actual TV Channels in Korea that actually air these online StarCraft leagues.

OMG, I almost went crazy when I heard Starcraft 2 announced. I soooo cannot wait for this to come out, and judging from the video, they're already pretty far along. Knowing Blizzard, though, it will take another year or so for it to come out. But at least it'll be amazing!

The only downside to this is that I need to replay through Starcraft 1 to remember just what happened...:p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
The only downside to this is that I need to replay through Starcraft 1 to remember just what happened...:p

Right there with you ^^;

I remember bits and pieces of the story, and reading the novels helped a bit, but much of Brood War is fuzzy for me. I'm hoping that StarCraft 2 will provide a quick recap of the previous plotlines. It'd make sense seeing that some people who buy it won't have played the original... Still, I'm not sure how they handled WarCraft III in that respect, which would probably be a good indicator of how they'd tie the stories together.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
The difference between WarCraft and StarCraft is that WarCraft had no plot to speak of before 3. WarCraft 1 and 2 had two different timelines rather than consecutive campaigns. WCIII follows a certain canon which was loosely established by the first and second game's victory of the humans (if I recall correctly), followed by the Lord of the Clans novel (which was supposed to be a game but was canceled). WarCraft III really didn't do too much reviewing of the plot - But the past wasn't really that significant in WCIII - you could piece it together from the story. Most of the significant events of WCIII were actually from a time in the past long before the plots of 1 and 2 put together.

StarCraft is a different story. But I'm willing to bet there'll be a recap of the events in the SC2's manual. I mean, have you read the user manuals for the first game and the expansions? They had frelling historical novels in them and a lot of interesting little in-depth information that, if you're interested in that kind of stuff, provided even more background and insight into what the hell brought things to the state they've been in. Like how have Terrans ended up far out in the middle of god knows where, established the great redneck empire and pissed off an old geezer that will one day grow to mass-murder people by unleashing hordes of giant space bugs on them. Or who the hell is Adun.

Somehow I doubt 2 would be any different. Which is why SC2 is the first game I've considered buying in ages.

Ah yes, the great redneck empire. I reinstalled Starcraft to go through the original campaign, and noticed that *everyone* Terran talks like a redneck. I don't know how I didn't notice that before; I guess I assumed that of course humans talk like that? >_>

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Ya gotta love the Terrans - A species designed for the sole purpose of comic relief between the intricate yet ferocious Zerg and the way-too-epic-for-their-own-damn-good yet still soul pwning Protoss. Both of those are so damn serious and dramatic, someone has to be funny enough to counterbalance both of them.

And, actually, not all Terrans talk like rednecks - Battlecruiser captains are eternally Russian, for example (Which illicited quite a few lols in Brood War, where in one campaign, Terran 'Pilots', with the standard civilian sprite and voice, suddenly mutate into the stout, eternally-Russian commanders of the cruisers the moment they assume command of them. Marines taking over Goliaths and SCVs and completely shifting their voice and personality - not to mention rank - are also lol-worthy).

But the grand majority seems to be space rednecks - and given the fact the entire Terran presence in the Koprulu Sector is the descendents of criminals, drug users, cybernetically and chemically enhanced folks that were otherwise to be executed under the UPL (United Power League, the governing body of Earth at the time, which eventually went down as the fuckers from the UED rose to power)'s Nazi-like purification program... >>

Yep. There's a reason why they were called the Terran Confederacy.

Don't even get me started about Arcturus Mengsk. >>

I swear, that game has some of the best lines ever written into any computer game, and some of the best characters that any RTS ever had. That game's plot just made my jaw drop some times, and I remember many moments in which I wanted to officially drop a mallet on someone. Replaying StarCraft this night has made me realize how awesome that game is yet again, and how it stood the test of time for me when many other games of the genre didn't - that game's plot, its universe, and even some of the little things, some of the little moments in game... Have turned this game, as far as I'm concerned, to stuff of legends.

Yes. I'm looking forward to StarCraft II. Very muchly so. And assuming Blizzard won't fuck this up, Maybe there is still hope for something truly breathtaking.

starcraft II! it'll own. and for the nay-sayers, it's a computer game, so they won't drop it and try for something better like they did with starcraft ghost. i wonder what the sys requirements are for it, because if they're ridiculous i'm just going to ask anyone who's getting me a present for my b-day to skip it and get me a computer for christmas =]

best. game. ever. well, not best ever, but amongst them. right next to most mario games, and pokemon.

Well, I said it when you first told me, and ill say it again.... FINAL-EY! I've been waiting to kick more ass with the protoss for some time now... I hope they still have the dark templar, they where my faves :D I assume they do, though

Well, I said it when you first told me, and ill say it again.... FINAL-EY! I've been waiting to kick more ass with the protoss for some time now... I hope they still have the dark templar, they where my faves :D I assume they do, though

i think the only unit they got rid of was the dragoons, and that i'm not even sure of.

I know I'm not the only one around here who's been waiting for ages to hear this news.

If you haven't seen the website yet and you're a past SC fan, you must: http://www.starcraft2.com

And also check out this demo video (straight from the website as far as I know):
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Yeah, that demo video is filled with awesomeness, so I hope most of it stays true for the finished game. I can't wait to see more info on the new units, upgrades, and features included it, too. As cool as it is seeing some Protoss units in detail on the website, where's my in depth Zerg info? :p

I'm shocked som1 else is excited over this.I cant wait to see what they do with it.The new protoss look amazing and i'm excited as well to see what the zerg get...

...Terran not so much...never was a big fan of the tech-reliant race

you DO realise that the protoss are almost completely tech reliant? i mean how else could they find out most of the galaxy's secrets? (yeah, they actually have)

you DO realise that the protoss are almost completely tech reliant? i mean how else could they find out most of the galaxy's secrets? (yeah, they actually have)

actually its quite easy as far as i've seen to go from dragoons to dark templar without sacrificing speed,and still outspeed the terran with 1 or 2 upgrades on your guys.

meanwhile they wipe out mairnes with all 3 upgrades